Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, that person is a comrade

also, we're apparently closing in on the 100,000 confirmed case worldwide. so, do the extrapolation on that deece six figgy

https://twitter.com/GHS/status/1235341250284474370?s=20

The lag here is probably comparable with political polling. This is just what we know to have happened - this is not the state of things as we know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

also tomatoes grow continuously, they don't bloom once and die so if you have literally any outdoor sun-facing area you can grow a fuckton of tomatoes

was mentioned earlier in the thread but make sure you get an indeterminate variety for this to happen

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Sab0921 posted:

The press conference for the Sugar Land (Houston suburb) case says the test still takes 24 hours.

How the gently caress is the CDC so incompetent - other countries can do it in a couple of hours.

tejas has to send it to atlanta so maybe theyre backed up or some poo poo?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Uglycat posted:

The tests /are/ super-important, but to some degree they're a distraction.
We don't need tests right now - we know it's spreading everywhere. We need to shut down. Then we need tests in abundance. Tests don't matter a lick while we know it's spreading.

If I die from this, I blame tobacco and capitalism, not mother nature.

I'm a smoker, and 42, oh yeah I've also likely got COPD. Mother nature had nothing to do with this

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Uglycat posted:

The tests /are/ super-important, but to some degree they're a distraction.
We don't need tests right now - we know it's spreading everywhere. We need to shut down. Then we need tests in abundance. Tests don't matter a lick while we know it's spreading.

If I die from this, I blame tobacco and capitalism, not mother nature.

Yeah the US is playing whack-a-mole and by the time they've found one case there are probably 5 or 6 more. I think the uncontrolled R0 in Wuhan was like 5.6 in the first five weeks after detection. With no screening and potentially weeks of being asymptomatic we are heading for a major disaster.

I hope it is the case that a cold calculated decision was made to let 2M Americans die by very sick people at the head of the government, instead of just them being really really stupid. I guess that would make me feel better about this for some reason.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Hadlock posted:

Plauge ship Grand Princess is currently holding about 200 miles off the coast of Los Angeles

Ghost Ship was a documentary

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
never attribute to malice blah blah
the cruelty is the point
not sure what aphorism could serve as a salve for the real horror that awaits

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

facetoucher cat posted:

And sorry they dismissed you like that. Sometimes it's hard to tell if people are being lovely or if it's their own defense mechanism because of they cannot accept the glory that is Corona-chan

I tried... Americans just resist any change to their comfortable lives and don't want to admit bad things are happening until it's too late

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

err posted:

Ghost Ship was a documentary

That first scene was brutal

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/rivm/status/1235184326800822274?s=20

15 new Dutch cases, total is at 38. The map is looking pretty pox-ridden

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BeefThief posted:

Yeah the US is playing whack-a-mole and by the time they've found one case there are probably 5 or 6 more. I think the uncontrolled R0 in Wuhan was like 5.6 in the first five weeks after detection. With no screening and potentially weeks of being asymptomatic we are heading for a major disaster.

I hope it is the case that a cold calculated decision was made to let 2M Americans die by very sick people at the head of the government, instead of just them being really really stupid. I guess that would make me feel better about this for some reason.

Uglycat posted:

never attribute to malice blah blah
the cruelty is the point
not sure what aphorism could serve as a salve for the real horror that awaits

not necessary to invent cruelty to explain that, there's a cognitive bias (which I can't remember the name of) that people have a tendency to prefer situations where at least someone is making rational decisions, vs uncontrolled chaos.

then you remember it's 2020 :chaostrump:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Pence is 60 year old. He has a decent odd to become TPOUS if he bring coronachan to Trump.

If I was Pence I would legit roll the dice on this. Trump is 74 an in terrible health while Pence seems in good shape for a 60 year old and no doubt is banking on God to protect him on top of that.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Schmeichy posted:

I tried... Americans just resist any change to their comfortable lives and don't want to admit bad things are happening until it's too late

Before my father turned into a turbo Fox News chud he was a good man and instilled into me that things can go tits up in a heartbeat so you gotta love life but you gotta be ready for anything to be thrown at you. It was my mother that taught me that you don't drive over bags because there could be a severed head in them. It's all about risk avoidance

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

...like a lot of those were legitimately really, really terrible for vast numbers of people. Hell the world economy debatable still hasn't recovered from the 2008 crash, and ISIS were killing/torturing/enslaving thousands of people in large parts of two different countries.

Seriously if this was written a few decades ago it probably would of included:
Aids is going to kill us all,
Disco is going to kill us all
The Vietnam war is going to kill us all,
WW2 going to kill us all,

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i hope everyone loading up on beans and rice is also buying spices and stock

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1235307129722015751?s=19

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

dr_rat posted:

...like a lot of those were legitimately really, really terrible for vast numbers of people. Hell the world economy debatable still hasn't recovered from the 2008 crash, and ISIS were killing/torturing/enslaving thousands of people in large parts of two different countries.

Seriously if this was written a few decades ago it probably would of included:
Aids is going to kill us all,
Disco is going to kill us all
The Vietnam war is going to kill us all,
WW2 going to kill us all,

i dont know if id be seriously responding to a post which equates the 2008 crisis with the mayan calendar ending in 2012

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tell the boomers it only kills people who suffer from chronic pain and take medication

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FAUXTON posted:

A lot of galaxy brains have internalized the "HUMAN COOKING IS A BOURGEOISIE LUXURY, ONLY VITAMINS AND OATMEAL FOR ME, A REAL LEFTIST WHO LOVES GRUEL" thing.

folks it isn't hard to learn how to cook and not everything takes half a day to prepare

lentils, legumes, and rice are not flavorless gruel what the gently caress is wrong with you??? lentils are gods gift to man

its real easy to add some stock (better than bouillon is best storebought option that's easy to store), cumin, coriander, zahtar, cayenne, saffron, basil, rosemary, canned tomatoes, whatever the gently caress and have it taste good af

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Xaris posted:

lentils, legumes, and rice are not flavorless gruel waht the gently caress is wrong with youee

plain white rice is 100% flavorless gruel

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

you stock up on the essentials and buy the other poo poo later on

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i like gruel

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

lentils, legumes, and rice are not flavorless gruel what the gently caress is wrong with you??? lentils are gods gift to man

its real easy to add some stock (better than bouillon is best storebought option that's easy to store), cumin, coriander, zahtar, cayenne, saffron, basil, rosemary, canned tomatoes, whatever the gently caress and have it taste good af

grits are

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i dont know if id be seriously responding to a post which equates the 2008 crisis with the mayan calendar ending in 2012

Probably not, not. If it's not a troll, it's just incredibly stupid. :(

BeefThief posted:

Tell the boomers it only kills people who suffer from chronic pain and take medication

Tell them that Covid is Chinese for Fox and it's the fox virus. Watch them internally struggle with which is more important to them, not watching fox news or death.

Watch them pick fox news.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
if u want ur food to have flavor ur a lib.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

plain white rice is 100% flavorless gruel

cook it with a tablespoon of butter, a couple tsp of cumin seeds, salt, and capful of rice vinegar and then add some gochujang paste or even tamari in a bowl with it

it tastes good. but black rice is better

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
if food tastes good you are no longer simply eating, you are engaging in decadence that will capture you and prevent you from nurturing the revolutionary spirit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Schmeichy posted:

Meanwhile I group texted my family who mostly live in King county that my work was cancelling events and to remember to wash hands, and I got a response of "that's extreme, and also stop talking about it you're stressing me out" and this meme:

Conclusion: freaking out works, every single time. :derp:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

the taste is u

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
So "recovered" just means "not actively dying"?

https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1235390497864081408

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
its just a flu scam bro. lmao remember swine flu?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Blasphemy! Grits + hot sauce, grits + little bit of sugar and butter, grits + butter and pinch of salt and pepper. Just the slightest seasonings with some good grits and it's divine. Polenta and grits are basically the same thing, grits is fine ground hominy and polenta is yellow corn coarser ground. Go to a bougiusise restaurant and they charge bank for that by just adding cheese

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

if it kills you because you forget to breath because corona-san got in your CNS it's really not the flu that kills you so it's more of a personal responsibility kind of deal

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

My Healthcare Megacorporation in NY has decreed that ALL travel, foreign or domestic by physicians must be reported weeks ahead of time and anyone traveling to a pandemic country automatically gets quarantined for 2 weeks without pay.

Also, it was real fun walking into a room with a 60 year old woman with a 102.7 fever. And hearing that she hasn't traveled anywhere, but people in her house recently were at the airport.

Turned out to be the flu (rapid flu tests are a godsend), but even wrapped in a full gown, mask, and gloves still felt a little unsafe.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 5, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Over Easy posted:

if it kills you because you forget to breath because corona-san got in your CNS it's really not the flu that kills you so it's more of a personal responsibility kind of deal

RELAX, that can't happen

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Over Easy posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Covid-19 Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Open Your Mouth And Breath Like Nigga Get Air In Your Lungs Haha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

This goon gets it. When poo poo goes sideways, make sure you're within walking (running ) distance of their place.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Covid-19 Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Open Your Mouth And Breath Like Nigga Get Air In Your Lungs Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
My wife and I have been posting covid updates in the family whatsapp since we're both clinical scientists and freaked-out by the blase attitude of the country. Nobody responds to us anymore.