Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

They do very little, if any, actual standardized testing of anything.

"It scratches at 6, with deeper grooves at 7."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Those teardown videos are at the very least interesting to see how the devices are laid out internally and to see how to disassemble/repair something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I just happened to notice this yesterday, but Power + Volume Up on the Pixel 4 puts the phone into vibrate only mode. Doesn't cycle through modes, just does the one, but still pretty neat. Is this new or has it been a thing for a long time?

Wtf I never noticed that!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Huh, you can ask assistant on your phone to "read it" or "read this page" when you're looking at a web page. It does a pretty nice job!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

my pixel 2 xl screen cracked.. should i get a pixel 4 xl or another pixel 2 xl?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

my pixel 2 xl screen cracked.. should i get a pixel 4 xl or another pixel 2 xl?

Pixel 3a XL or wait a few months for the 4a if you can deal with the crack. Alternatively, replace the screen?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else with a Pixel 3 still waiting for the March update? The "Check for update" button is failing me...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

Anyone else with a Pixel 3 still waiting for the March update? The "Check for update" button is failing me...

If you're on T-Mobile or Google Fi, there is no Pixel 3 (and maybe 3 XL) update yet.

Similarly, If you're on Pixel 4 (and maybe 4 XL) on AT&T, the update got paused.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

I haven't got it on my 3a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I saw something about AT&T (?) pulling the update in the US, some kind of certification issue. Not sure. Maybe that's affecting you guys?

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pixel 3a XL or wait a few months for the 4a if you can deal with the crack. Alternatively, replace the screen?

What makes you say this specifically over the 4XL? I ended up with a dud battery in my 2, but had just cracked the glass and didnt think it was worth forking out 200 bucks to repair just to warranty the battery.

I avoided upgrading from the Pixel 2 just because how they handled the launch features/price/battery/etc of the 4's and am currently planning to get the S20+.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vahtooch posted:

What makes you say this specifically over the 4XL? I ended up with a dud battery in my 2, but had just cracked the glass and didnt think it was worth forking out 200 bucks to repair just to warranty the battery.

I avoided upgrading from the Pixel 2 just because how they handled the launch features/price/battery/etc of the 4's and am currently planning to get the S20+.

Cheaper and it's still a good phone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Literally just what the above poster said. I have a 4 XL and like it, but I'd love it if it was the price of a 3a.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're on T-Mobile or Google Fi, there is no Pixel 3 (and maybe 3 XL) update yet.

Similarly, If you're on Pixel 4 (and maybe 4 XL) on AT&T, the update got paused.

Ah, ok. I'm on Mint Mobile, so I assume the T-Mobile unavailability is what's doing it. I'd heard about the AT&T thing, but nothing else.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I wasn't aware the carriers could delay Pixel updates. I thought the whole point of the Pixel was to avoid having to deal with the carrier bullshit kind of like with an iPhone where an update just simply gets pushed out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

I wasn't aware the carriers could delay Pixel updates. I thought the whole point of the Pixel was to avoid having to deal with the carrier bullshit kind of like with an iPhone where an update just simply gets pushed out.

So what you'd prefer is that they push out the broken update to AT&T phones rather than, um, not do that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Carriers delay iPhone updates too, they are just scheduled to disguise that fact. Google kinda shot themselves in the foot with the first Monday of the month thing that makes it very visible if there's a carrier issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not really sure "iPhone-like" updates are something Google should really aim for when there were something like 13 bugfix updates to iOS 13.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm thinking about getting an S20 in the near future but in the meantime, I want to get a longer USB-C cable to charge my phone. If I get a cable pack like this one here - https://www.amazon.com/AkoaDa-Charger-Braided-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07FK7LMCF/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=usb+c+cable&qid=1583402790&sr=8-6

Will it be compatible with the S20? I'm pretty confused with all these new USB-C charging stuff so just wanted to check.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just a quick one, guys. I need to buy a budget smartphone, and there are a lot out there. Does anyone have any experience / knowledge about the Xiaomi Redmi note 8 or Galaxy M20? Are the comparable? Budget is around 200GBP...Thanks :)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes there are no compatibility issues in that sense. Only a matter of if fast charge will work to full potential. We grabbed a pack of some amazon no name ones couple years ago now when we got the essential/pixel 2 and they have been going strong ever since, but we still use the OEM chargers when we need the speed. Pretty similar to what you linked

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know that the 45w charging requires an active cable with an emark chip since it goes above 3A. The 25w charging stays under the 3A limit of passive cables so they may work for the full charge speed, but I'm unsure if PPS requires emarked cables regardless of amp limit.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

So what you'd prefer is that they push out the broken update to AT&T phones rather than, um, not do that?

No, I was just under the impression that the carriers couldn't delay the updates is all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

henpod posted:

Just a quick one, guys. I need to buy a budget smartphone, and there are a lot out there. Does anyone have any experience / knowledge about the Xiaomi Redmi note 8 or Galaxy M20? Are the comparable? Budget is around 200GBP...Thanks :)
Depending on your data needs, you can often pay a net of ~£200 for a Pixel 3a on contract. i.e. (contract price - SIM-only price) * 24 = ~£200
To buy outright a Nokia 6.2 is a good option, or a Samsung A40/A50 if you want an OLED.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

No, I was just under the impression that the carriers couldn't delay the updates is all.

According to this Google is the one not pushing the update.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got to play around with an S20 Ultra. All I can say is...it's very, VERY light.

Though, to me, it's definitely not worth the $1605 it's going to cost with tax. The camera was okay? My eyes aren't the best and I'm still rocking the P2 XL at the moment anyway.

Though, every single Pixel 3a I've seen has a really bad red tint. I know these phones are constantly on for hours but is that anything that's like even remotely something I should be worrying about if I pick one up or get one for my mother or whatever?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Khablam posted:

Depending on your data needs, you can often pay a net of ~£200 for a Pixel 3a on contract. i.e. (contract price - SIM-only price) * 24 = ~£200
To buy outright a Nokia 6.2 is a good option, or a Samsung A40/A50 if you want an OLED.

Thank you :)

I'm kinda settling on the Xiaomi Note 8...does anyone have experience with this phone? Not for heavy gaming or power using really. Is the performance / screen good?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

henpod posted:

Thank you :)

I'm kinda settling on the Xiaomi Note 8...does anyone have experience with this phone? Not for heavy gaming or power using really. Is the performance / screen good?

The related Note 8 Pro is really well built for the price and pretty snappy, doesn't work with Android Auto tho so maybe look into that if it's something that's important to you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got to play around with an S20 Ultra. All I can say is...it's very, VERY light.

Light compared to what? Only the 11 Pro Max is a bit heavier.

Here are a few more thoughts I've had about the ultra after a few days:

-haptics are the best I've felt
-night mode is better than the pixel
-fingerprint sensor seems better than the s10+
-tall skinny form factor isn't actually very useful unless using it horizontally for video.
-there is zero lag whatsoever, everything is blazing fast.
-got 400+ Mbps down at my office on 5g without paying for it somehow
-battery is very good even with 120hz, nice to not have battery anxiety any more
-the zoom is a great party trick. Everyone at my work was amazed and even the 100x zoom wasn't blurry when pointing it at an 88 storey tower nearby. Regular joes are also very impressed by 120hz.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Oh neat my galaxy buds have suddenly started working again. They'd had the seemingly common bug where one ear faded out over an hour.

... Just in time for me to claim some buds+ next week

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Speaking of the Galaxy Buds+ that comes for free with the preorder - if I don't want it, is the best way to get rid of it is to sell it on eBay etc? Was wondering if there's an option to just decline the Buds+ and get the money back instead but I doubt it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Incessant Excess posted:

The related Note 8 Pro is really well built for the price and pretty snappy, doesn't work with Android Auto tho so maybe look into that if it's something that's important to you.

Thanks. And, last question. The P30 Lite looks pretty good, but will there be a problem using the Google Play store or any Google apps? Is it a decent phone overall?

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 6, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The P30 lite still has the google apps I believe however it does not have NFC, so no payments.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

-night mode is better than the pixel

Huh, that disagrees with nearly every review I've seen so far.

I did go through with trading in my Note 10+ on the Ultra since they were giving so much for it. I may have it today, depending on the whims of FedEx, we'll see.

I told them to hold at a FedEx location since I don't have a flight home till later in the day.

I will say that the P4XL has impressed me with battery on my recent trips. I've been getting 4:30 to 5 hours SoT over the course of a 16 hour day constantly, so I can't say I've ever had battery anxiety with it. The thing I do think Google really needs to address next year is charging speed. Max of 18w just isn't cutting it in 2020 and the fact that it takes nearly 2 hours for my P4 XL to hit 100% from empty is bad and way more annoying than a few extra mAh missing from battery capacity.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 6, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Speaking of the Galaxy Buds+ that comes for free with the preorder - if I don't want it, is the best way to get rid of it is to sell it on eBay etc? Was wondering if there's an option to just decline the Buds+ and get the money back instead but I doubt it.

Aren't the preorders a Samsung store credit that's enough to get the Buds+? Unless there's a separate deal through other retailers, in the US the Ultra gets a $200 store credit and the non-Ultras get $150. They have various bundles and options for you to pick from, so if you don't want them you should be able to just buy something else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

Aren't the preorders a Samsung store credit that's enough to get the Buds+? Unless there's a separate deal through other retailers, in the US the Ultra gets a $200 store credit and the non-Ultras get $150. They have various bundles and options for you to pick from, so if you don't want them you should be able to just buy something else.

I just kinda went through that and while yeah, you can, there's not much you can choose from to use the credit on at the time of checkout and you can't bank it forever. I already had the Galaxy watch Active 2 and I needed another battery bank or wireless charger like I need a hole in the head. I ended up getting the buds+ and the 45w charger (even though it doesn't make a ton of difference in total charge time.)

I mean I also don't need another set of wireless earbuds, but at least I can have a little more utility out of something like that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I just kinda went through that and while yeah, you can, there's not much you can choose from to use the credit on at the time of checkout and you can't bank it forever. I already had the Galaxy watch Active 2 and I needed another battery bank or wireless charger like I need a hole in the head. I ended up getting the buds+ and the 45w charger (even though it doesn't make a ton of difference in total charge time.)

I mean I also don't need another set of wireless earbuds, but at least I can have a little more utility out of something like that.

If you order through not-Samsung the credit comes later so you have at least a bit of time to think. and when I looked you could use that toward like, any of their wearables, power, tablets, at least a handful of TVs, smart home stuff, cases, other headphones... not sure what else there is to offer from samsung, tbh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

If you order through not-Samsung the credit comes later so you have at least a bit of time to think. and when I looked you could use that toward like, any of their wearables, power, tablets, at least a handful of TVs, smart home stuff, cases, other headphones... not sure what else there is to offer from samsung, tbh.

I really wanted to hold on to the credit and use it towards the Galaxy Chromebook when it comes out, but I wasn't able to ordering directly from Samsung.

Even from an official case perspective, Samsung doesn't really have anything good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Not in Europe