Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
My left Rift S controller thumbstick started drifting. Submitted a support ticket and it's now being RMA'd. The race is on to have it back before Alyx is released, godspeed fedex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

treat posted:

Okay, while technically correct, that contraction in that circumstance isn't okay and you should feel bad, how dare you.

e; I'm sorry, i'm going through some poo poo. I promise I don't actually care.

I'm a non-native English speaker, so I don't have a problem with people correcting me, that way I will improve!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm a non-native English speaker, so I don't have a problem with people correcting me, that way I will improve!

English is impossible.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shine posted:

English is unpossible.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

possiblen't

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In a slightly more on topic post, it seems I solved my Oculus Link woes, without having to buy the 90€ cable. The usb active cable I was using before was the one to blame, the new one I received today (CableCreation brand) works much better. It seems to power up the Quest with less electricity than the other ones as it's draining a bit faster, but that's a small price to pay for something that, you know, works as intended.
Even the usb-c L-shaper connector works now with that cable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alyx maybe doesn’t look like a complete game changer but it looks super polished which goes a long way in VR.

I wonder if I’ll be able to run it. Stormlands suffers from horrible reprojection problems with my 1070 and Quest Link.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Alyx maybe doesn’t look like a complete game changer but it looks super polished which goes a long way in VR.

I wonder if I’ll be able to run it. Stormlands suffers from horrible reprojection problems with my 1070 and Quest Link.

It looks like it's Source engine based and that stuff historically will run on a toaster. Half-Life 2, Portal 1/2 were always super snappy on launch even on weak hardware.

Edit: yeah it's Source 2 like CS:GO, that poo poo is optimized as gently caress

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Turin Turambar posted:

In a slightly more on topic post, it seems I solved my Oculus Link woes, without having to buy the 90€ cable. The usb active cable I was using before was the one to blame, the new one I received today (CableCreation brand) works much better. It seems to power up the Quest with less electricity than the other ones as it's draining a bit faster, but that's a small price to pay for something that, you know, works as intended.
Even the usb-c L-shaper connector works now with that cable.

Have a link to that cable by chance? I'm aiming for a long rear end cable

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...83344269&sr=8-3

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

w00tmonger posted:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8

I was able to create a 26 foot long cable that worked using this. How well it works for you will depend on the cable you stick on the end of it and probably with how good your USB ports are. I stuck mine into a USB 3.1 port and it worked fine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It'll also depend on what A to C cable you use. I tried extending the Oculus recommended 10ft one, and I couldn't get any cable to work with it, but I found some 3 foot A to C USB 3 cable in a pile of cables and it worked great.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

More HL:A with developer commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FvzTEH3Z8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shine posted:

English is inpossible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I hope the Index is available in like 2 months when I have the cash for one because otherwise I'll be sad :(.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mr E posted:

I hope the Index is available in like 2 months when I have the cash for one because otherwise I'll be sad :(.

Don’t count on it, coronavirus has it all hosed up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t count on it, coronavirus has it all hosed up.

The Pimax 5k Plus are actually quite nice and in some ways superior (not build quality to be sure but res and fov are better), I just got one for Alyx. If you buy one on Amazon now you'd have enough time to beat Alyx and still be in the return window. You'd have to find some Vive wands and a base station though, which are also in stock on Amazon or maybe you could get a while Vive on the cheap from CL or eBay.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 4, 2020

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Rectus posted:

More HL:A with developer commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FvzTEH3Z8

Have they showed off any non-teleporting locomotion yet?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

Have they showed off any non-teleporting locomotion yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjtVmka54E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30v1UWkMBlU&t=375s

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I know it's never going to happen while they're still unable to meet demand, but man I wish the price would go down a bit on the Index controllers. HL:A being bundled helps, I'd just be a lot more comfortable with $200 or less.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have to say one thing about VR games, and it's that every minute can be more intense/engaging than a normal game, in fact most of the time I'm surprised myself when I finish a session. I can think it was at least 100 minutes long, but the clock says it was only 65-70 minutes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

The Pimax 5k Plus are actually quite nice and in some ways superior (not build quality to be sure but res and fov are better), I just got one for Alyx. If you buy one on Amazon now you'd have enough time to beat Alyx and still be in the return window. You'd have to find some Vive wands and a base station though, which are also in stock on Amazon or maybe you could get a while Vive on the cheap from CL or eBay.

there are some very loud voices in this thread that hate the pimax and are ill informed. I agree that it is a great headset. It really only is a good option for people upgrading from a vive though as base stations and controllers will run you more than the cost of the headset itself.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's mostly that the lenses are reportedly bad making output greatly distorted at the edges. I understand there's been improvements, but I'd really prefer to hear from someone that has the knowledge to properly critique them as anecdotes are pretty useless for a technology where the experience can vary so differently from person to person.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I briefly had a 5k+ and I was fairly impressed with it and liked it more than I thought I would, but I sold it virtually immediately because after using it for about fifteen minutes I got such severe eye strain it felt like my eyeballs were going to explode

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I briefly had a 5k+ and I was fairly impressed with it and liked it more than I thought I would, but I sold it virtually immediately because after using it for about fifteen minutes I got such severe eye strain it felt like my eyeballs were going to explode

There is for sure something a little weird about the focal distance. It doesn't seem quite like the Rift Quest "infinity" distance, seems much closer. It wasn't painful when I was using it but when I took it off it took me a couple minutes to feel normal, and it didn't feel motion-sickness related.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I can see the VRSS area pulsing in Pokerstars VR, as in the supersampling circle growing and shrinking. Does this game need a 3080Ti to run OK?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can see the VRSS area pulsing in Pokerstars VR, as in the supersampling circle growing and shrinking. Does this game need a 3080Ti to run OK?

I used to play on a 970 and it worked perfectly. I don't know whatever VRSS is existed on that card, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Works fine on my 1080ti, maybe just turn off the adaptive SS?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

There is for sure something a little weird about the focal distance. It doesn't seem quite like the Rift Quest "infinity" distance, seems much closer. It wasn't painful when I was using it but when I took it off it took me a couple minutes to feel normal, and it didn't feel motion-sickness related.

I think the focal distance varies depending on where you look, which would explain a lot of the eye strain people have.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SCheeseman posted:

I think the focal distance varies depending on where you look, which would explain a lot of the eye strain people have.

That would be a large departure from the rift/quest/vive/index/WMR that have a fixed focal distance of about 10 feet

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
Goddamn is half-life 2 immersive in VR,even with the vorpx default profile no custom resolution.The goddamn audio through the rift s is hnggggg~

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Got shoved over here by the HL:A thread, basically they recommended either a Rift S or Quest. What are the pros/cons of either?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Incrediblastic posted:

Goddamn is half-life 2 immersive in VR,even with the vorpx default profile no custom resolution.The goddamn audio through the rift s is hnggggg~

There's a VR mod for Garry's Mod that lets you play through most of the campaign, including 6DOF weapons. Apparently some scripted sequences are broken and vehicles are poorly implemented, but running and shooting plays fine.

skaianDestiny posted:

Got shoved over here by the HL:A thread, basically they recommended either a Rift S or Quest. What are the pros/cons of either?

I keep the OP pretty updated, most of the information there is still relevant. The main thing to check out for is your IPD, is it narrower than 59mm or wider than 67mm? Then you should probably get a Quest regardless of anything I say below as the Rift S doesn't allow for physical IPD adjustment.

Otherwise, the Rift S is slightly sharper, tracking is a little better, comfort and fit is nicer. But you lose out on the versatility of the Quest, features like WiFi VR streaming from your PC, experimental marker-less hand tracking and rather impressive Quest ports of games that you can take with you anywhere. There's even a complete VR Half Life port complete with 6DOF weapons. But also, if you just want to play Half Life Alyx then you might as well just get the Rift S due to the increase in quality but alsooo once you're done with Half Life Alyx, why not be left with something you can use for other cool stuff?

You can't go wrong either way, both will play Half Life Alyx just fine. Just note that if you get a Quest you'll have to get a USB 3.0 cable of some kind to connect it to your PC (compatibility is fickle, speaking of the OP I should probably throw down some recs), though this only ends up being about $30-40 on top.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I used to play on a 970 and it worked perfectly. I don't know whatever VRSS is existed on that card, though.
Fixed foveated supersampling, only available on Turing. In adaptive mode, the area changes in size based on headroom on the GPU, and over here in PokerStars, you could see the area growing and shrinking based on texture quality and edge aliasing. The game runs smoother and looks overall better at 150% total supersampling than at 100% SS and 4x VRSS.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

skaianDestiny posted:

To elaborate on what's mentioned above, the Quest is a stand alone headset (with its own onboard hardware for playing Quest games), sort of like a VR gameboy, that can also be hooked up to a PC. The Rift S only works when connected to a PC, but is a bit better when doing that. They're both the same price, $400. General advice is to buy the Rift S if you're only interested in PC VR, but buy the Quest if you're even somewhat interested in the standalone games as well.

Since IIRC you were the one asking about the best headset under $500, those are it. You could get something cheaper by sacrificing quality (and/or buying used), but both are good solid choices.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SCheeseman posted:

I keep the OP pretty updated, most of the information there is still relevant. The main thing to check out for is your IPD, is it narrower than 59mm or wider than 67mm? Then you should probably get a Quest regardless of anything I say below as the Rift S doesn't allow for physical IPD adjustment.

One additional thing to note here is that the Rift S has a fixed IPD of 63.5mm. The further you get away from that, the blurrier the image will get. Some people will actually find the Quest sharper because their IPD is far enough away from that fixed point.

Also, it might give you headaches and I will never not poo poo on the Rift S because of this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would personally get the Quest, it's just so great to be able to take it and use it anywhere and not have it tied to a computer. On balance it's not quite as good as a PCVR device (barring the IPD incompatibility noted above), but being able to use it standalone is just so loving good. It's also ridiculously cool and it's way easier to show it off to people than a PCVR headset.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my quest is so much better for the active games on it just because of the lack of any kind of cord. looking forward to quest 2 being wireless streaming

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fixed foveated supersampling, only available on Turing. In adaptive mode, the area changes in size based on headroom on the GPU, and over here in PokerStars, you could see the area growing and shrinking based on texture quality and edge aliasing. The game runs smoother and looks overall better at 150% total supersampling than at 100% SS and 4x VRSS.

oh nice, do you have to enable it manually in the game? I just got a 2070s; can it take advantage of such things with an og rift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nalin posted:

One additional thing to note here is that the Rift S has a fixed IPD of 63.5mm. The further you get away from that, the blurrier the image will get. Some people will actually find the Quest sharper because their IPD is far enough away from that fixed point.

Also, it might give you headaches and I will never not poo poo on the Rift S because of this.

Is the software adjustment that bad? Mine is 61 so I figured it would be OK. I'm starting to lean towards the Quest, though, since I know my kids are gonna want to play BeatSaber and Superhot when I'm not racing with it. That said, what is up with stock right now? Are people really that hyped for Alyx that they're snatching up HMDs?