Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

Well, FlyBe just went tits up.

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1235324067709935617?s=19

One less infection vector I guess...

The gently caress is happening with that plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

RockyB posted:

lol I liked flybe, always felt like an adventure with the wee little propeller planes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's flying, hth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there's something ill advised about taking this weird rear end plane and painting it a highly distressing colour scheme.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

I mean, there's some depressing ones. Like:

E: Oh by the way that's your tax money hard at work:

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

That's absolutely dreadful.
I wonder what reason they cancelled his visa at Heathrow? Business visas are bloody hard and expensive to get.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Another choice bit:

quote:

In detention Fosu was found ranting into a mirror. He was then restrained and put into segregation shortly after his arrival where he remained until his death six days later.

During the period of segregation he lost 15% of his body weight, going from 55kg (8st 9lb) to 47kg (7st 6lb). He was found to have died of cardiovascular collapse with psychosis, malnutrition and hypothermia.

Prince Fosu’s father, Prince Obeng, said his son was a quiet and obedient man who had never previously experienced comparable episodes of ill health. “I never knew that things like this could happen in Europe,” he said. “The Home Office has not been in touch with me but I would like them to apologise for their failure to protect Prince.”

Let's see what the inquest had to say:

quote:

The PPO acknowledged that managing Fosu’s complex and difficult behaviour presented staff at Harmondsworth with challenges. However, she added: “We consider that the care he received fell considerably below acceptable standards.”

Ahh well that's okay then. I wonder how that compares to the routine inmate rapes at Yarl's Wood. Was that also considerably below expectations, or perhaps just below expectations, after all rape still leaves you alive. Well except for the several percent who killed themselves. Humm. Really tough question there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol the SNP are letting the MP who did holocaust denial back in the party. Antisemitism is only a problem if you plan to do something about inequality I guess.

If you're talking about Neale Hanvey, he did not do any holocaust denialism. As far as antisemitism goes the cartoon Hanvey shared is very very mild, and if the investigation concluded that he didnt mean it and is genuinely apologetic, that's fine. They still dropped him in the middle of an election and it could have cost them the seat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:siren:

quote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51737116

The Home Office has issued pictures of the post-Brexit passport, describing it as a return to the "iconic blue" used for UK passports before 1988.

Experts in the science of colour - and instant experts on social media - are unconvinced, saying it looks more like black.

BREXIT BETRAYAL

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I remember my old passport being pretty much black.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

OwlFancier posted:

Whattup

I mean it could be worse

I agree though, it's the colour scheme that makes it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Private Speech posted:

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

Imagine if we just invested that £34,000 in setting them up in the UK and getting them a job and a place to live. Imagine how much better off that person and the country would be. It's loving madness that it's the way it is.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

If you're talking about Neale Hanvey, he did not do any holocaust denialism. As far as antisemitism goes the cartoon Hanvey shared is very very mild, and if the investigation concluded that he didnt mean it and is genuinely apologetic, that's fine. They still dropped him in the middle of an election and it could have cost them the seat.

So he's merely a transphobe then, grand

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Angrymog posted:

I remember my old passport being pretty much black.

I think they were a clearly blue shade when new but would degrade to black fairly quickly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's with this weird shade from the bbc of all people? "heh, instant experts opining on what colour something looks like"

already massively overqualified for a daily politics guest spot

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like there's something ill advised about taking this weird rear end plane and painting it a highly distressing colour scheme.

I like the smaller prop planes. Took one to Paris once. They feel safer than the big turbo props even though I know they very likely aren't.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RockyB posted:

gently caress. I was supposed to be taking my sister to a flybe flight tomorrow morning.

:dogbutton:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

gently caress. I was supposed to be taking my sister to a flybe flight tomorrow morning.

:dogbutton:

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1235475343508754433

Probably not likely to be of any help, but might be of use.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

If nothing else, Covid-19 might be the thing that finally makes everyone seriously consider WASHING THEIR loving HANDS and ACTUALLY STAYING HOME WHEN THEY'RE ILL.

Doubtful, but you can hope.

People will only stay home when they are ill if they get proper sick pay though, if you are getting paid hourly can you afford to miss a day or afford your months expenses after a week on SSP?

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 5, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Regarde Aduck posted:

I like the smaller prop planes. Took one to Paris once. They feel safer than the big turbo props even though I know they very likely aren't.

I mean outside of like military transport planes the flybe dash 8s are some of the biggest turboprops around.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Could I use the UKMT collective brain for a moment? There's a theory that basically says journalism seems plausible until it's in a subject you're educated in. I can't remember what it's called and am finding it hard to define in a way that Google finds it.

Does anyone know?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

knox_harrington posted:

Could I use the UKMT collective brain for a moment? There's a theory that basically says journalism seems plausible until it's in a subject you're educated in. I can't remember what it's called and am finding it hard to define in a way that Google finds it.

Does anyone know?

No but you reminded me of the great anecdote about how everyone across the planet who reads the economist reads it for their foreign coverage because everyone sees how laughable their local analysis is.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

namesake posted:

No but you reminded me of the great anecdote about how everyone across the planet who reads the economist reads it for their foreign coverage because everyone sees how laughable their local analysis is.

Haha... This is not-coincidentally about an article in the Economist

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"Gell-Mann amnesia", actually coined by Michael Crichton

quote:

Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I refer to it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

He then merrily followed this down the garden path of global warming denialism, so... y'know. Word of warning and all that. It's worth keeping in mind that it is much easier to notice stupid ideas that one is conscious of and passionately disagrees with than it is to notice other kinds of ideas. But of course it is very easy to make stupid, un-nuanced arguments for anything, and an infinite number of such arguments does not therefore imply that its proposition is false.

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 5, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The cspam New York times thread is a better bet but it's the idea that you'll read something in the opinion section that you're an expert in and realise it's horribly wrong and then just consume the news section like it's not also wrong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

I seem to recall this thread observing that RT is great for any news outside of Russia, Al Jazeera is great for any news outside of the Middle East, etc.

Is there a name for that phenomenon?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

The cspam New York times thread is a better bet but it's the idea that you'll read something in the opinion section that you're an expert in and realise it's horribly wrong and then just consume the news section like it's not also wrong

The thing about news is that it's someone telling you stuff and you have no way to respond so it has an air of authority to it, it tricks you into thinking it must be true. Until they hit a topic where you're the authority

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

ronya posted:

He then merrily followed this down the garden path of global warming denialism, so... y'know. Word of warning and all that.

Noted

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

He then merrily followed this down the garden path of global warming denialism, so... y'know. Word of warning and all that. It's worth keeping in mind that it is much easier to notice stupid ideas that one is conscious of and passionately disagrees with than it is to notice other kinds of ideas. But of course it is very easy to make stupid, un-nuanced arguments for anything, and an infinite number of such arguments does not therefore imply that its proposition is false.

I'm certain it's based on an older quote, possibly from Mark Twain, but I can't find anything to back that up on a quick Google so maybe it's an example of what I'll call Churchill Syndrome where people misattribute quotes to older, more respectable sources to cover up the fact they actually came from Kurt Cobain.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Stigler's law!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm certain it's based on an older quote, possibly from Mark Twain, but I can't find anything to back that up on a quick Google so maybe it's an example of what I'll call Churchill Syndrome where people misattribute quotes to older, more respectable sources to cover up the fact they actually came from Kurt Cobain.

It's better to burn out than fade away - Joan of Arc

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Found out today that I have to pay a company £16 to get paid for the shifts I worked! What fresh hell is that? It can't be legal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

Found out today that I have to pay a company £16 to get paid for the shifts I worked! What fresh hell is that? It can't be legal.

:stare: yeah pretty sure if you're owed pay, you don't have to pay to get it. How did you find out? Is the company in question your employer or some payroll intermediary?

E: also check your contract

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I watched a lot of Press TV when I was in uni because it seemed to be the only news to give the vaguely even handed reports on foreign affairs

Of course you had to ignore anything about Iran on the channel (except for when they showed very tasty looking Persian food :yum:)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:stare: yeah pretty sure if you're owed pay, you don't have to pay to get it. How did you find out? Is the company in question your employer or some payroll intermediary?

Payroll intermediary. I did shifts for McGinley, High Output and Colas and they give the cash to a company called "Payme" who I had to sign up with and am employed by them some how. It's Payme that take the £16 processing fee for me to get my money. The person at High Output I talked to said "don't worry it'll never get above £20 no matter how much you earn." I did want to say something back but it's not her doing so what would be the point.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
"cool! give me 19 pounds right now. oh but it never goes above 20"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

Payroll intermediary. I did shifts for McGinley, High Output and Colas and they give the cash to a company called "Payme" who I had to sign up with and am employed by them some how. It's Payme that take the £16 processing fee for me to get my money. The person at High Output I talked to said "don't worry it'll never get above £20 no matter how much you earn." I did want to say something back but it's not her doing so what would be the point.

Well i can only suggest you check your contract, presumably you have a contract of some sort with payme too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Does anyone know?

Ah yes - the great day my nan discovered that The Sun does not report the truth! In the 1970s my nan and I were watching the TUC Conference on TV (such was the exciting life we lead) and while all the delegates were generally mooching around in the conference hall, a tiny union - Licensed Victuallers or something like that - moved a motion to have the T&G (biggest union in the UK at the time) expelled from the TUC and it got voted through (because people weren't paying attention). So for a few minutes the T&G delegates all had to leave. I can't recall exactly the ins and outs but they got back in again after a relatively short time the same day.

Anyway, next day my nan was reading The Sun and they reported on this but what they said bore no resemblance to what we had seen live on TV. I remember the shock on her face as she sat there saying "but that's not what happened!"

Another time, I used to take Private Eye at more or less face value then around 25 years ago they had something in their Doing the Rounds section concerning my actual direct boss of the time and it was completely untrue.

My last anecdote on the topic - during the 2013 'not a coup' in Egypt when Morsy got ousted, the Guardian's reporter on what was going on was basically bollox. This was probably when I started taking the Guardian much less seriously as a newspaper.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

If you're contracting, couldn't you add the payment to your invoice as 'expenses'?
Maybe those firms you did shifts for don't realize that you have to pay to get your money via payme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well i can only suggest you check your contract, presumably you have a contract of some sort with payme too

Yes, I'm going to have to look through my e-mails for it.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're contracting, couldn't you add the payment to your invoice as 'expenses'?
Maybe those firms you did shifts for don't realize that you have to pay to get your money via payme?

They know, it was one of the ladies in the office that explained it to me. I don't think I can add it as expenses it would get queried.