Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Weirdly, I never watched more than a few minutes of TNG at a time as a kid (it was what I flipped to during Simpsons/X-Files commercials), but even so the theme song and the background starship hum are incredibly soothing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Re-watching S1 Disco for my third full view and forgot how much I loved how the show was put together. The sense of unease that permiated the first three episodes. The way that T'Kuvma lured Starfleet into his holy war. Stamet's initial prickly and aloof nature. Loving it.

Gives me something to do as we dovetail into the conclusion of Picard S1.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Picard appears later tonight.

On the internet.

P I C A R D

O N L I N E

C B S

All Access

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gonz posted:

Picard appears later tonight.

On the internet.

P I C A R D

O N L I N E

C B S

All Access

Is it not on Amazon Prime in Murrica or something?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it not on Amazon Prime in Murrica or something?

Unsure. I only ever watch it on All Access.

Edit: Huh. I guess it is.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 5, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Looks like Commodore Oh is a legit Vulcan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New episode is up.

- Nepenthe stuff good, Borg cube stuff bad
- Please stop loving killing off characters. Hugh deserved better :argh:
- Pizza Chef Riker with his hyphenated last name and rustic cabin was just the best :allears:
- The stuff with Riker’s kid and Soji was good
- Not sure why Troi and Riker needed a tragic dead kid backstory though. At a certain point this kind of thing just turns into farce when every character Picard touches has some kind of past tragedy.
- I’m not some “this isn’t MY Picard!!!” guy, but his scene during dinner is probably the closest he’s sounded to TNG Picard and it totally worked for me as this example of Old Picard finally finding purpose and re-embracing the man he used to be.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Picard episode 7: Based on the previews for ep8, looks like we will get more of an insight into what Commodore Oh showed Agnes.

Chill Agnes. Smoke some snakeleaf with Raffi to take the edge off. "Is it cake?" Allison Pill is doing some heavy lifting this episode and her breakdown was heartbreaking.

Hugh :( I was totally expecting him to die but I'm still disappointed in the show for going there.

lol Picard's meta speech about his new crew and drama.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New episode is up.

- Not sure why Troi and Riker needed a tragic dead kid backstory though. At a certain point this kind of thing just turns into farce when every character Picard touches has some kind of past tragedy.

:agreed: and it felt like a very heavyhanded attempt to say that synth ban bad.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Frakes was real good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like a lot about the Romulan samurai's behaviour males sense if you assume he's read way too many adventure stories.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Wanna eat some of that Riker pizza :riker:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Episode was really good

Did Riker say "Kzinti"or "Xindi"?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Episode was really good

The former.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

God the show would've been so much better if they dropped the romance plot and replaced Soji with Riker's kid who appears to be an incredibly talented actress who should be in the rest of this show. Did anyone notice that they hinted at Riker still being "on call" so he could end up in space at any time? These show runners are loving laying bait wherever they can, when you consider Data hasn't shown up since the pilot.

It's a bit bothersome that neither Dahj nor Soji did the Data head-turn until the 1 scene when she needed to do it so Riker could guess that she's Data's progeny. Also why did Soji ask Troi how to eat a tomato? Just because she ate replicator food doesn't mean she shouldn't know how to bite into a tomato. Really not enjoying that the music is trying its hardest to tell you how you should feel so a stupid line like "You have a homeworld!" gets propped up as important when it just really sounded kinda dumb? Like, duh, she didn't just poof into existence from nowhere. Of course she has a homeworld.

Anyway, now I want a show entirely about Riker's family because they're immediately more interesting than the rest of this plot, even with the useless faux drama involving the dead son. Also the violent puking twice in one episode, one of which was red like blood, was extremely unnecessary. What the gently caress is wrong with these show runners? Also the holodoctor is annoyingly useless.

This show is way too easy to pick apart. :( I'm still just watching out of self-imposed obligation to honor Patrick Stewart. Looking forward to the next episode's special effects, though! They look fun!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goddamnit I was really hoping the XBs were gonna hook into the cube and make the walls come alive and rip up the Romulans when they started executing them. Hugh. :(

DaveKap posted:

It's a bit bothersome that neither Dahj nor Soji did the Data head-turn until the 1 scene when she needed to do it so Riker could guess that she's Data's progeny.

She's done it before in past episodes, this thread's noticed it

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know that this was the worst episode so far, bit it's certainly the one that's pushed me past "this isn't what I want from Star Trek, but it could be ok" and into "nah, it's just kind of poo poo".

I don't like or care about any of the characters, I don't care about the central mystery, and I don't expect any kind of satisfying resolution.

DaveKap posted:

Also why did Soji ask Troi how to eat a tomato? Just because she ate replicator food doesn't mean she shouldn't know how to bite into a tomato.
Really seemed to be pushing that idea that replicator food is the equivalent of microwave dinners again. Which is really weird and dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm glad that after 35 loving years Deanna Troi actually got to use her Psychology degree to slove a goddamn problem.

Next episode looks like it's gonna be make or break for the story as a whole. It's put up or shut up time on the Terrible Secret of Space.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gonz posted:

The former.

Wouldn't that be a bit of a licencing can of worms to bring the Kzinti into Star Trek for realsies? Forget about having Niven as a guest writer on the animated series, nowadays that would involve lawyers and license fees CBS is probably too cheap to spend. How much of the Known Space universe would they need to make it fit? The history of humanity and the universe at large there doesn't fit at all with Star Trek's history.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A good poster posted:

Wouldn't that be a bit of a licencing can of worms to bring the Kzinti into Star Trek for realsies? Forget about having Niven as a guest writer on the animated series, nowadays that would involve lawyers and license fees CBS is probably too cheap to spend. How much of the Known Space universe would they need to make it fit? The history of humanity and the universe at large there doesn't fit at all with Star Trek's history.

It's probably just a "don't pull on the thread" reference. And I doubt it was the Xindi, as Enterprise says they're Federation members by the time of TNG.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This one was Real Good and actually felt like "Star Trek" to me.

Wanna eat Dinner with The Rikers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The part where Riker susses everything out about the plot felt like somebody was getting their style from those Fact or Fiction videos with Frakes in them, just because of the music cue.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Really seemed to be pushing that idea that replicator food is the equivalent of microwave dinners again. Which is really weird and dumb.

I've never eaten replicator food, so who knows. It's a pretty constant thing throughout Star Trek though that when people have the chance to eat non-replicated food, they take it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty good episode imo

Bla bla bla I’ve said it every week and I’ll keep saying it until it isn’t true. Raffi is a bad, uninteresting character and no matter how hard the poor actor tries she isn’t going to be able to act her way out of a badly written role.

The planet stuff was ace. The sad dead kid thing was pointless but ok. If the writers trying to tug unnecessarily at my heart strings is the worst thing about an episode then I guess it’s pretty okay imo.

What a poo poo way for Hugh to die. Like that was so unnecessary and such a wasted opportunity for a genuinely interesting recurring character that I’m actually irl a little angry. And not in a “goddamn I hope sexy Romulan sister eats poo poo for killing Hugh” way like the writers likely intended.

Wait maybe I mean, pretty good episode in spite of everything I posted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I've never eaten replicator food, so who knows. It's a pretty constant thing throughout Star Trek though that when people have the chance to eat non-replicated food, they take it.

A) That's always been dumb.
B) They've turned it up to a whole new level in this show.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

A) That's always been dumb.
B) They've turned it up to a whole new level in this show.

Even if you want to assume that replicated food isn't worse than non-replicated food, then in a society like the one TNG proposes, which is largely post scarcity, and you can have all the replicated food and replicated cabinets and replicated clothing or whatever you want, then that stuff becomes valueless, and what becomes valuable is the stuff that you can't get that way. Those become the status symbols. Everybody can have a piece of pizza, but to eat pizza you made (or Joseph Sisko's gumbo,), becomes a big deal, because you can't just get that from a replicator...somebody had to put in the work to do it. A homemade cabinet or a homemade shirt becomes a big deal, because somebody had to make it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I liked this episode even if some parts pissed me off. Hugh dying seems lame, but every reboot thing usually does something like this. I just complained last week that I thought they would kill him off in 1 minute, but I guess it took 5 minutes of screen time.

Oh, to be Jonathan Frakes and do your job wearing a bathrobe, making pizza

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The dead kid was the reasoning for them to not be in Starfleet anymore and settled down, I don't think it was a bad thing to include to justify why they weren't on the Titan like everyone wanted.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The River Charm Offensive strikes again. I believe it’s pattern Riker-2-Delta.

Sigh. I get heavy Judgment Day vibes from that mind meld vision. I don’t really need that trope in my Trek and it seems lazy and tired.

That silicone based virus they mentioned sure sounded similar to the one in the Enterprise episode with the Organian observers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Even if you want to assume that replicated food isn't worse than non-replicated food, then in a society like the one TNG proposes, which is largely post scarcity, and you can have all the replicated food and replicated cabinets and replicated clothing or whatever you want, then that stuff becomes valueless, and what becomes valuable is the stuff that you can't get that way.
Sure. That doesn't explain why someone would have never seen a tomato before though, or why the food served to the workers in the earlier episode was so bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I genuinely enjoyed that episode. My complaints are so minor they're not worth mentioning. Good on you, show, you're starting to win me over.

Frakes and Sirtis both killed it. The look on Troi's face when she's reading Picard and finds out he's sick was played real well. I liked Riker calling her Imzadi. And the girl playing their daughter was great. I'd say I hope she comes back, but I'm assuming that's the last we see of that family.

I don't have a problem with them having a dead son. Life goes on after the show ends, people have triumphs and tragedies, and it's an interesting way to flesh out their back story that isn't just, "Oh we've been just fine since you last saw us! Nothing but happy times!" It felt real, to me.

Probably my favorite episode yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Was the Simpsons movie about the fate of the world? That's the only tv show to movie that popped in my head and I think they actually did the reverse, where Springfield was hosed but the rest of the world was fine.

Alchenar posted:

I oh totally buy this part of Star Trek. I presume that a replicator meal is a really good version of a ready meal that tastes homemade. But it's going to be one very specific version of that recipe and it'll be identical every time.

Sure there's Jambalaya in the database, but it won't be made the way Sisko's dad makes Jambalaya. Also maybe you like the experience of cooking, maybe you want the taste of cooking, maybe in a utopia of the future where nobody has to work someone wants to spend their time cooking good food for other people and other people want to eat out.

e: the culture series uses this as a touchstone example as well. In a future where nobody has to work, some people, possibly even most people will choose to spend time doing something that makes other people happy.

That's weird, I would've assumed the base food they prepared would be a replication of the most delicious form of whatever they're eating. There's no difference to the machine between copying a ready-meal and your mom's special recipe. Sure, average replicator probably wouldn't have your mom's recipe, but I should think they found a great version of the meal sourced from fresh ingredients to make the initial "molds". Replicator meals being as bad as tv dinner is dystopia-- tv dinners suck because they're trying to make them cheap as possible, if you have a replicator, just make it the best food by default.

The real magic of hand-to-hand cooking is all the "love" that gets put in. Actual sweat, finger grime, dandruff and plenty of dead skin cells. Nobody wants to acknowledge those things happening when anyone prepares food, so we call it "love" and try not to highlight how specially-prepared meals taste better because of negligibly cannibalistic human body spices.

8one6 posted:

Because it's somehow the most popular Trek after TNG.

I don't get it either.

Is that true?? Voyager-fans are always treated like pariahs in trek communities, like aberrant weirdoes who dare venerate the antitrek voyager. I'm happy to hear it. Please give us a show after Picard called Janeway.

DaveKap posted:

It's a bit bothersome that neither Dahj nor Soji did the Data head-turn until the 1 scene when she needed to do it so Riker could guess that she's Data's progeny. Also why did Soji ask Troi how to eat a tomato? Just because she ate replicator food doesn't mean she shouldn't know how to bite into a tomato.

Whenever I eat a big-rear end tomato people look at me like I've violated a taboo or something. I think a lot of people wouldn't really know what to do if handed a whole big tomato to eat, it seems obvious to bite into it but you know, some freaks sit there and peel a kiwi before biting into it so go figure!?

DaveKap posted:

This show is way too easy to pick apart. :( I'm still just watching out of self-imposed obligation to honor Patrick Stewart. Looking forward to the next episode's special effects, though! They look fun!

I'm familiar with you from Mr Robot final season and I'm enjoying this show but it must be torture for you! This post was also uncharacteristically brief and I'm guessing the filmography isn't anything to worth writing home about since you didn't mention any of it!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 5, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Sure. That doesn't explain why someone would have never seen a tomato before though, or why the food served to the workers in the earlier episode was so bad.

No comment on the second, but if she's eaten replicated food all her life, why would she have necessarily seen a raw, unprocessed tomato before?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Regarding replicated food in this episode: If she's never eaten a non-replicated tomato then she's definitely never eaten real meat before.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
Good episode. Have enjoyed this series in general.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I really dig that we're getting more information about the layout of the La Sirena.

It's a cool little ship. I wonder if they've thought about how comparatively expensive it is, and how Rios could afford it. Maybe there'll be a flashback in a later episode?
Picard's a client but I can't imagine it pays that much.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
loving called it

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's a bit of a slog that every character has to be miserable if they want to appear in Picard, I wonder what horrible poo poo had to have happened to Troi and Riker if they're making an appearance.

Okay so while that was a well acted and a pretty enough episode, it was easily was the most pointless so far. I'm not surprised this was a late addition to the script since it achieves basically nothing that couldn't be done with our existing characters in 15 minutes of screen time.

Things that happened:

Established Jurati is leading the Romulans to Picard - we already knew this from a character perspective, but now there's also a physical tracking device too. Ok.
Hugh and Elnor didn't die last episode, Hugh is protected by Federation treaty? Really? She gives a poo poo about that? But ok now Hugh is dead and Elnor is going guerrilla warfare on the cube. Ok.
Soji learns she's an android. Now there's some meat there and the actor does a good job, but this would have been much better on the ship with other characters who also actually have personal stakes in this.
Picard and Soji now have the co-ordinates to the homeworld because some kid sent a text message to an offscreen character who also determined the location based on the info "has two moons".

Best moment is Troi actually explaining Soji's mental state to Picard and getting him to see how ignorant he's being but ultimately it only addresses a minor character tension set up and resolved in the space of this episode.

The rest of the episode is just characters retelling the entire plot thus far to Troi, Riker & homeschool girl.

I have nothing else to really say about this episode because it didn't need to exist. Sure there was some nostalgia and meta winks to the camera but how many times do we need to watch characters restating the plot? There's no dramatic tension or interest in hearing characters tell other characters information we already know, this is the characters catching up to the audience and it's the most frustrating poo poo to watch when it's overdone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

No comment on the second, but if she's eaten replicated food all her life, why would she have necessarily seen a raw, unprocessed tomato before?
Because they're a good and popular food? Have you not eaten raw unprocessed tomatoes before?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The kid was awesome and I look forward to seeing her in other stuff.

One thing that bugged me: Rios has known Raffi forever, apparently. When he started talking to Jurati about Raffi being tracked, I really thought it was false flag to get Jurati to crack, but then back on the bridge he seems to genuinely mistrust Raffi. I don't like that one bit.

Jurati is probably going to claim Raffi poisoned the cake, isn't she

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The kid was awesome and I look forward to seeing her in other stuff.

The kid was fine, but couldn't she have solved to homeworld mystery* because she's interested in astronomy and yearns to be an explorer or something? Instead of having her friend sir-not-appearing-in-this-film solve it via text message?

*ignoring for a moment the ludicrous lead of "has two moons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Because they're a good and popular food? Have you not eaten raw unprocessed tomatoes before?

In salads, I guess. I've never just bitten into a whole tomato.