Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I did not realise the labour leadership vote was open for over an entire month...what exactly is the point?

I have voted already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve also had a look at some of these campaign logos. Not too impressed tho I admire RLB’s blade runner-esque look, and Drunk Auntie Em’s no nonsense EMILY for LABOUR.

Lisa Nandy’s I genuinely think is a screen cap from one of those guardian COF generators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

Yes, I'm going to have to look through my e-mails for it.

They know, it was one of the ladies in the office that explained it to me. I don't think I can add it as expenses it would get queried.

Dunno if this applies but it at least gives a link to the institution you can complain to https://www.contractoruk.com/contracts/should_agency_be_charging_me_admin_fees.html

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Feel like, not her campaign necessarily, but someone should do something with the whole 2020 the year thing and 2020 clear vision or whatever thing. Maybe she is doing that.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Vintage electromechanical components
Top quality meat bargains
Newspaper columnist prerequisite career
Last Week Tonight spinoff

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Dunno if this applies but it at least gives a link to the institution you can complain to https://www.contractoruk.com/contracts/should_agency_be_charging_me_admin_fees.html

Thanks. Stuff like this makes me want to quit working on the rails and go bake bread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Vintage electromechanical components
Newspaper columnist prerequisite career
Last Week Tonight spinoff

Need an RLB2020 thyratron for a lift motor controller.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Feel like, not her campaign necessarily, but someone should do something with the whole 2020 the year thing and 2020 clear vision or whatever thing. Maybe she is doing that.

Vision 2020 is/was a Malaysia thing.

*looks around at the trash fire of a country*

A-yup.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1235267657525587984?s=19

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

bessantj posted:

Payroll intermediary. I did shifts for McGinley, High Output and Colas and they give the cash to a company called "Payme" who I had to sign up with and am employed by them some how. It's Payme that take the £16 processing fee for me to get my money. The person at High Output I talked to said "don't worry it'll never get above £20 no matter how much you earn." I did want to say something back but it's not her doing so what would be the point.

Sounds like an umbrella payroll company. My understanding is that they 'employ' contractors and do PAYE for them, so contractors don't have to worry about self assessment etc. They then supply their staff to the companies/agencies who use them.

I think what's happening though is companies insist that any contractors sign up for their umbrella company of choice so that they only ever have to pay them, rather than the individual contractors. Normally, from what I've seen, the umbrella companies in this sort of case would make their money from the other companies. Sounds like they're making an extra bit of money from you though and it doesn't seem right because they're your employers. Is it a deduction on your payslip? Are you being invoiced for this 'processing fee'?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

If you're talking about Neale Hanvey, he did not do any holocaust denialism. As far as antisemitism goes the cartoon Hanvey shared is very very mild, and if the investigation concluded that he didnt mean it and is genuinely apologetic, that's fine. They still dropped him in the middle of an election and it could have cost them the seat.

Yeah everyone (Mumsnet) knows he was dropped for being a TERF, which he is. But hey SNP is a big tent for all kinds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1235522790112944129?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's a poo poo distress signal if it goes unnoticed for weeks. Who the hell decided that would be the distress signal?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

It's a poo poo distress signal if it goes unnoticed for weeks. Who the hell decided that would be the distress signal?

I guess it makes more sense if you have a flag that doesn't look very similar upside-down to the right way up?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I suppose the idea is that foreigners *spit* don't notice you're in distress so they don't take advantage and loot your ship, while any decent British person would, being intimately familiar with the flag, notice it sticking out like a sore thumb and lend a hand.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Other than the emphatic victory bit that's not what he's saying at all. Not to defend Mirvis who is a giant loving rear end, but he has worded it very carefully to sound reasonable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Archaeology Hat posted:

I guess it makes more sense if you have a flag that doesn't look very similar upside-down to the right way up?

Two ships are sailing along their course and come into sight of each other, they both immediately change headings directly towards each other at full speed. After a brief exchange both ships return to their original courses at normal speed. What happened?

One was registered in Ireland, the other in the Ivory Coast both of which which look like the other upside down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clearly we need a flag with an obvious orientation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Isomermaid posted:

Reminds me of a jingle on Coventry Free Radio (probably still on) that just went "meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, wholesale meats!"

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

there is another month of the labour leadership contest to go. loving hell 😭😭😭

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More time for organizing outside of party politics.

josh04 posted:

Reminds me of a jingle on Coventry Free Radio (probably still on) that just went "meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, wholesale meats!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

there is another month of the labour leadership contest to go. loving hell 😭😭😭

https://twitter.com/LabourGRT/status/1233533632100343808?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The state of Toby Perkins who I didn't know existed until now

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/996030997367001089?s=19

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I feel like I've heard his name come up on WDTATW once or twice, probably in the context of their award show. He seems bad!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean outside of like military transport planes the flybe dash 8s are some of the biggest turboprops around.

Yeah I meant jet turbines.

I am bad at everything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/AGlasgowGirl/status/1235514048424349697?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The thing about news is that it's someone telling you stuff and you have no way to respond so it has an air of authority to it, it tricks you into thinking it must be true. Until they hit a topic where you're the authority

This happened with me when I overheard the news reporting that Apple have settled out of court and did not deliberately obsolete/slow down older models but something something to stop them something harmful something. I can't be arsed looking up what their bullshit was verbatim because gently caress Apple, but it's a good example of this thing I didn't know was "a thing".

Not news related but just as jarring for me is when the "tech wizard du jour" does their "thing" in any US TV show

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/RupaHuq/status/1235213824116088834

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Good news?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1235532784812294144?s=19

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:same:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does a bank have a research department?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

To answer the question "How do we make more money"

E: it's probably research into competition, future market trends, not to mention legislation. I'd expect any bank or, indeed, big financial firm to have a research department

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I prefer the idea that they're trying to invent money 2.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*a banker jiggles coins in a glass beaker while looking at it through goggles*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

So they can work out how to copy the new £20 notes

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Wanna appropriate this for the cause of the revolution and use it to make booze instead

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

So they can work out how to copy the new £20 notes
I can definitely remember that HSBC tried doing their own notes years ago, including a £100 note, or announced that they might.

I'm not sure if this was UK wide or it was just in NI where there's no such thing as legal tender and random banks appear to issue whatever they please, but I can't find anything more about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

They're trying to determine the reason behind the sudden extinction of the pound note.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I do not understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Research = equity research, the guys who write reports on whether you should buy, hold or sell shares in companies.

So nothing of value was lost.