Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Was there some big "gently caress BOATS" meeting I've missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Boats mean you have to spend time around other people and cannot isolate yourself in your perfect car

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fortified mad max towns where the mayor decides who gets in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean broadly gently caress boats, but Cairnryan to Belfast is 2 hours crossing + faffing about time is more like 3-3:30 hours. And it costs £100+ per car + £30 per passenger. If you could just drive to Ireland it would be undeniably cheaper for the users.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

fortified mad max towns where the mayor decides who gets in

Muscular Municipalism.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Aramoro posted:

I mean broadly gently caress boats, but Cairnryan to Belfast is 2 hours crossing + faffing about time is more like 3-3:30 hours. And it costs £100+ per car + £30 per passenger. If you could just drive to Ireland it would be undeniably cheaper for the users.

That only works if the users aren’t paying for the infrastructure though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Muscular Municipalism.
by Murray Buffchin

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ah, chesterfield

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gonzo McFee posted:

Buddy,

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1235545580555943938

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Is that the normal approach to london city or is it deliberately photoshopped to make it look like the plane is about to 911 the banking towers?

Normal westbound takeoff - zoom crush makes it look a lot closer than it is, the actual takeoff path runs a comfortable couple hundred metres wide and high of Canary Wharf (ahem) but they make a sharp right as soon as they're up to speed to allow them to depart without interfering with approach to Heathrow. This is a lot of fun, because on most days it takes you through the wind shadow of the towers so the plane suddenly drops just as the turn starts. It's probably only a few feet, but it feels like a *lot* more as you're looking directly down into my mate's back garden, low enough to see whether or not he has washing out.

Combined with the very short takeoff roll and pretty sharp acceleration of the little planes they use at London City, it's about the closest any British person ever gets to feeling what it's like to launch off of a proper aircraft carrier. This also applies to landings - the 5 degree glidescope (compared to 3 degrees at most airports) is the same as used for carrier landings (not to avoid crashing into Canary Wharf as most people believe, but to minimise noise on the approach and speed at touchdown).

I know flying is very bad, but I seriously recommend a flight from London City if no train is available for the journey you want to take - it's really not that much more expensive than a flight from Heathrow or Gatwick (and for most Londoners may even be cheaper just because you save the outrageous cost of train or taxi fare).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Normal westbound takeoff - zoom crush makes it look a lot closer than it is, the actual takeoff path runs a comfortable couple hundred metres wide and high of Canary Wharf (ahem) but they make a sharp right as soon as they're up to speed to allow them to depart without interfering with approach to Heathrow. This is a lot of fun, because on most days it takes you through the wind shadow of the towers so the plane suddenly drops just as the turn starts. It's probably only a few feet, but it feels like a *lot* more as you're looking directly down into my mate's back garden, low enough to see whether or not he has washing out.

Combined with the very short takeoff roll and pretty sharp acceleration of the little planes they use at London City, it's about the closest any British person ever gets to feeling what it's like to launch off of a proper aircraft carrier. This also applies to landings - the 5 degree glidescope (compared to 3 degrees at most airports) is the same as used for carrier landings (not to avoid crashing into Canary Wharf as most people believe, but to minimise noise on the approach and speed at touchdown).

I know flying is very bad, but I seriously recommend a flight from London City if no train is available for the journey you want to take - it's really not that much more expensive than a flight from Heathrow or Gatwick (and for most Londoners may even be cheaper just because you save the outrageous cost of train or taxi fare).

I absolutely love LCA for all these reasons but in my experience the BA Cityflyer planes that make up most of the traffic seem to operate as de facto all business class flights for obvious reasons. Nice big leather seats, 2/2 layout, free booze etc. All great but the price reflects that too. There are some reasonable deals occasionally but you're usually looking at £100-150 one way for a flight up to Scotland. Seems daft when you can get one from Heathrow for half that (or be environmentally friendly and get a train).

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Named after the famous bridge and tunnel guy.

Wait, was that why he was called that? :aaa:

Born Isambard Kingdom Shiss, his name was updated when he became better known for producing bridges and tunnels.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do brunnels actually exist or are they a hypothetical, like decent mental health?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For a brief time he was known as Isambard Kingdom Shittytrain.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Do brunnels actually exist or are they a hypothetical, like decent mental health?

There was a picture of one in the OP. There's at least 13 of them around the world.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

The Øresund Bridge between denmark and sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Elizabeth Warren just pulled out.
Does this mean it's Sanders v Biden for the democratic nomination?

(Sorry I know this is USpol but it affects us all ultimately).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I believe so.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There's still Tulsi Gabbard, so yes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on last year's pay rise.

Odd how they can get their own through on time, but for everyone else they don't even release the recommendation until September.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm genuinely surprised for tyhe first time in a long time by USPol.

Sanders vs Biden is a really, really hopeful matchup.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Grey Hunter posted:

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on last year's pay rise.

Odd how they can get their own through on time, but for everyone else they don't even release the recommendation until September.

Plus that's supposed to be close to the average for public sector pay rises, so who the gently caress is getting massive rises to offset our sub-inflation rises?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Sanders didn't do super well on super tuesday so he's got a tough road ahead, plus if he doesn't uttery dominate biden the DNC gets to decide who gets the nomination which is going to be Interesting :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Biden cruised 9 states barely campaigning in them. He struggles to string a coherent sentence together, a shoe in for the democratic nominee.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I was fully expecting Warren to stay in though, just to gently caress up the two-horse race and force a brokered convention, so that is at least positive.

Right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

thespaceinvader posted:

the DNC fix is in, everyone's dropping out to allow Biden (it's his turn) a clear run at eliminating Bernie, because the party absolutely will not let him win. Warren's meant to be on the progressive side so that vote isn't being split anymore, but let's see if she actually endorses him

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Biden cruised 9 states barely campaigning in them. He struggles to string a coherent sentence together, a shoe in for the democratic nominee.
I'm trying to imagine a Biden/Trump debate but my brain won't let me do it. I think I have to forget how language works first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I'm trying to imagine a Biden/Trump debate but my brain won't let me do it. I think I have to forget how language works first.

That would qualify you for a spot in said debate.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/theedgar501/status/1235601755519533063?s=20

When I first saw this I thought, "Hm, that's cool" but then very shortly afterwards "... this is for gammon, isn't it?".

Bet we'll see loads of companies taking their stuff back to like, 1970s branding, logos, product names, adverts etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those are... fruitellas now aren't they?

Used to eat them when I was a kid.

In any case hopefully we will see a return to jif lemon so you have to figure out from context whether or not people mean the cooking ingredient or the cleaning product.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Starburst.

Fruitella are pretty similar though TBF. Also Chewits. They're all the same genre.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Starburst.

Ah, the poo poo tier fruitella.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I know a fair amount of people who absolutely would drive to Scotland if they could because absolutely no one likes taking the ferry and flybe's collapse means Belfast City airport has suddenly lost like 80% of its flights and flying through Belfast International is an exercise in slow torture

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

WhatEvil posted:

When I first saw this I thought, "Hm, that's cool" but then very shortly afterwards "... this is for gammon, isn't it?".

Bet we'll see loads of companies taking their stuff back to like, 1970s branding, logos, product names, adverts etc.

Gammon love the 1970s unless labour did it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It begins.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

kustomkarkommando posted:

and flying through Belfast International is an exercise in slow torture

*Antrim International

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

the first of many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The bridge or tunnel remains stupid as there are about a dozen infrastructure projects people here would rather see finished first - like building a motorway to the west, finishing the loving A5, actually building the York Street interchange so you can drive in Belfast, somehow connecting Omagh to rail, completing the works on the north coast rail-line so the train to Derry can run more than once an hour, levelling all of Larne and salting the earth so that nothing will ever grow there again.

All more popular than a big bridge