Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

less than three posted:

Take this test to see if we'll let you in.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Just make up some high score for your English skills

e: you need a score of about 700 to get in
I like that I'd have to go take some bullshit test to say that I've definitely spoken my native language in the last two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Iron Rose posted:

a country that cares about its own citizens and won't bankrupt you for having the audacity to get sick.

I think americans are proving time and again that we can't handle this situation

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

can we summon UN medical aid?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

The Iron Rose posted:

Larches you should immigrate to Canada. We have Healthcare and less racism.

Come to Finland instead, we have Healthcare too and there is a real need for IT people.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ataxerxes posted:

Come to Finland instead, we have Healthcare too and there is a real need for IT people.

How long does it take a native english speaker to learn Finnish?

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Methanar posted:

You just speak english.

Learning Finnish should be seen and cruel and unusual punishment

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Methanar posted:

It's a real language?

I thought it was made up, like Dutch, which is why the Finns speak better English than the English do.

and why the Dutch speak French, German and English better than the French, Germans and English.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

English is easy to learn for the Dutch because English is the bastard child of German and French. It's funny how such an awful mess of a language became so successful. (It's because empire)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Honestly if you don't speak English better than the English are you even trying?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Honestly if you don't speak English better than the English are you even trying?

you wot mate?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

English is easy to learn for the Dutch because English is the bastard child of German and French. It's funny how such an awful mess of a language became so successful. (It's because empire)
Dutch also has English and Danish in it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I WFH 100% and am in the market for a new chair to sit my rear end in. My previous has had the gas piston fail and won't go up anymore. Probably because of my fat goony rear end... and the fact that it's like 10 years old.

What are all your fat goony asses sitting in when you work, if you got your own chair? I'm honestly expecting to have to pay at least $200 for a quality chair, but it's been so long I have no idea what to look for anymore. Most office chairs have leather (gently caress that), and the "gamer" chairs look hilariously uncomfortable/stupid/overpriced.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just went to Ikea and sat in everything until I found one I liked. No regrets.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I see that DX Racer chair from every youtuber, I imagine it's not a bad chair unless they're getting paid to use it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

DelphiAegis posted:

I WFH 100% and am in the market for a new chair to sit my rear end in. My previous has had the gas piston fail and won't go up anymore. Probably because of my fat goony rear end... and the fact that it's like 10 years old.

What are all your fat goony asses sitting in when you work, if you got your own chair? I'm honestly expecting to have to pay at least $200 for a quality chair, but it's been so long I have no idea what to look for anymore. Most office chairs have leather (gently caress that), and the "gamer" chairs look hilariously uncomfortable/stupid/overpriced.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thank you, bookmarked that for later reading.

Continue posting about Canadian racism.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Methanar posted:

Well... It is doable, but not easy at all. Depends very much on the context. If you work somewhere where people speak Finnish all the time and have a Finnish family it will take at least years. If not, more. But quite literally almost everyone and their mother speaks English.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

English is easy to learn for the Dutch because English is the bastard child of German and French.

so basically Frisian that wasn't supplanted by the Dutch

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

If you spend the majority of your day in a chair, you'll want to get a quality chair with a good parts/labor warranty. This will mean $$$, so see if you can get work to pay for all/some.

My recommendations would be Herman Miller Aeron or the Embody. I know others have spoken well of the higher end Steelcase chairs.

Personally, I have an Aeron in my home office and it's probably the best money I've spent. Chairs are like shoes, they're really something you don't want to go budget on.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I sit on a lovely dining chair from IKEA, metal frame and plastic seat/back with holes :v: My wife is constantly on the lookout for a better one from Goodwill, warranty be damned. I can't afford that poo poo, even with the overtime I pull.

NINJA EDIT: Should add that I'm a fat neckbeard so I need a big/tall chair; every regular chair fails within 6 months.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

If you spend the majority of your day in a chair, you'll want to get a quality chair with a good parts/labor warranty. This will mean $$$, so see if you can get work to pay for all/some.

My recommendations would be Herman Miller Aeron or the Embody. I know others have spoken well of the higher end Steelcase chairs.

Personally, I have an Aeron in my home office and it's probably the best money I've spent. Chairs are like shoes, they're really something you don't want to go budget on.

Or you could wait a few months and get the Herman Miller x Logitech Gaming Chair (TM), price TBD

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Hah! I just looked the Herman Miller Aeron up and that is basically the exact chair I have now, mesh fabric and all. No wonder it lasted so drat long.

You weren't kidding about the price though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Hah! I just looked the Herman Miller Aeron up and that is basically the exact chair I have now, mesh fabric and all. No wonder it lasted so drat long.

You weren't kidding about the price though.

You can buy replacement pistons for these on ebay. Apparently they're a huge hassle to swap out which is why I've had one sat in a drawer for months waiting for me to be bothered to install it.

Still, a lot cheaper than a replacement Aeron.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Methanar posted:

It, and Hungarian as the other major language, are on a completely different part of the language tree from Indo-European languages, so probably more difficult than you might first think. Perkele.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DelphiAegis posted:

Scored a Steelcase Leap for $100 4 years ago and it's built like a tank. This thing is around 10 yrs old and not showing any issues. Look for high end chairs being sold by offices.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Ataxerxes posted:

Well... It is doable, but not easy at all. Depends very much on the context. If you work somewhere where people speak Finnish all the time and have a Finnish family it will take at least years. If not, more. But quite literally almost everyone and their mother speaks English.

Not going to lie, my GF and I have talked a fair bit about moving to Finland or Norway. I have an infosec background and she's an accountant, so we're hopeful that would transfer well enough. Language is one of the bigger concerns. Certainly not averse to picking up the local language, just realistic about getting older and not learning languages as well anymore :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

totalnewbie posted:

It, and Hungarian as the other major language, are on a completely different part of the language tree from Indo-European languages, so probably more difficult than you might first think. Perkele.

I question the accuracy of this tree.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Proteus Jones posted:

My recommendations would be Herman Miller

Big agree here. Know that HM chairs are big $$$ but they are very good quality. Personally, I have a "gamer" chair (from Clutch Chairz) and it's quite nice enough for me.

Take note I do not work from home, but I do basically live in my chair when I am at home.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We all have Ergo chairs here. They went through and replaced everything with them a couple of years ago. They're pretty good. No complaints, and I am also a largegoon.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Oh motorized standing desks. Are. The. poo poo.

Seriously they're so good oh my god. Again, cost some $$$ comparatively, but being able to raise your desk and stand up for a couple hours at a time feels so good and GREATLY increases my general comfort throughout the day. I'm sure there are lots of other health benefits, but I just passively get them along with the other good poo poo above.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arquinsiel posted:

I question the accuracy of this tree.

I'm not a linguist but it seems okay at first glance - what's your problem with it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Oh motorized standing desks. Are. The. poo poo.

Seriously they're so good oh my god. Again, cost some $$$ comparatively, but being able to raise your desk and stand up for a couple hours at a time feels so good and GREATLY increases my general comfort throughout the day. I'm sure there are lots of other health benefits, but I just passively get them along with the other good poo poo above.

Agreed. I have the Varidesk electric desks and they are amazing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just have one of the spring assisted Varidesks with a keyboard tray and it owns. It's kind of big for my office setup but the ability to stand and do the same poo poo rocks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

so basically Frisian that wasn't supplanted by the Dutch

Indeed, Frisian is like old English, without the French influence.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

totalnewbie posted:

I'm not a linguist but it seems okay at first glance - what's your problem with it?
I'm a linguist and it's pretty accurate, although you can quibble about how some things are grouped and split - like why is Gaelic a single branch while Cornish also is, when Cornish is a badly revived dead language and Gaelic covers some pretty important languages like, I dunno, Irish. But the general picture seems fine.
Also, this kind of stuff is always up for discussion - in some of these cases even linguists haven't really figured it out. Language variation has a lot of continuous aspects that isn't easily divided into categories to make language varieties.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
That image is also from a webcomic where the author is using it to help explain the differences between the 5 different languages spoken and difficulties communicating between the main characters, so it's more intended as a broad overview kinda thing.

https://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=196

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Entropist posted:

I'm a linguist and it's pretty accurate, although you can quibble about how some things are grouped and split - like why is Gaelic a single branch while Cornish also is, when Cornish is a badly revived dead language and Gaelic covers some pretty important languages like, I dunno, Irish. But the general picture seems fine.
Also, this kind of stuff is always up for discussion - in some of these cases even linguists haven't really figured it out. Language variation has a lot of continuous aspects that isn't easily divided into categories to make language varieties.

Ah yeah, I always assume details like that are better left for actual reference books than pretty infographics, especially now that I know what the source is.

Gunjin posted:

That image is also from a webcomic where the author is using it to help explain the differences between the 5 different languages spoken and difficulties communicating between the main characters, so it's more intended as a broad overview kinda thing.

https://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=196

Thanks - I've seen (and used) this picture a lot and never knew where it was from.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
It's a good comic, I'm constantly amazed the creator manages four pages a week. I assume they're actually some sort of advanced digital painting robot.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Gunjin posted:

It's a good comic, I'm constantly amazed the creator manages four pages a week. I assume they're actually some sort of advanced digital painting robot.

The effort the author put into worldbuilding is insane. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropist posted:

I'm a linguist and it's pretty accurate, although you can quibble about how some things are grouped and split - like why is Gaelic a single branch while Cornish also is, when Cornish is a badly revived dead language and Gaelic covers some pretty important languages like, I dunno, Irish.
Yeah, there are two distinct branches of "celtic" languages and that seems to have just merged them. "Gaelic" could mean Irish or Scottish, and Manx is just not there at all.