Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm surprised anyone would pay for a MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

I'm surprised anyone would pay for a MMO.

They can be genuinely fun and worth paying for. Just remember to cancel your sub when you need a break.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zesty posted:

You’re surprised they tried to milk initial sales and then microtransactions? That’s the go-to business plan for MMOs for a while now.

-Initial cost
-Free month to month with premium subscription
-Microtransactions
-Remove initial cost a couple years down the line to pick up everyone else they can who might make microtransactions.

That's the business plan for all major games now, not just MMOs.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

They can be genuinely fun and worth paying for.
Thread title?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Has anyone tried playing Steep through Uplay? It was free back in January on Epic. The game seems super buggy and unusable with a gamepad. Buttons sometimes don't respond, and sometimes buttons trigger an action from a different mode of the game: for example, when you're in the menu, pressing RB/LB to switch to a different UI tab can trigger the in-game action associated with those buttons. I tried messing around with controls settings but I couldn't get it to not be completely broken.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Weird, the game plays totally fine for me on a 360 gamepad.

As an aside, Offworld Trading Company is one of Epic's freebies next week.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I got Offworld Trading Company (I think as part of a humble bundle?) a while ago. It's kinda neat.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Offworld was given away on Steam awhile back in an effort to push their $75 worth of DLC.

e: On sale now for $55

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Has anyone tried playing Steep through Uplay? It was free back in January on Epic. The game seems super buggy and unusable with a gamepad. Buttons sometimes don't respond, and sometimes buttons trigger an action from a different mode of the game: for example, when you're in the menu, pressing RB/LB to switch to a different UI tab can trigger the in-game action associated with those buttons. I tried messing around with controls settings but I couldn't get it to not be completely broken.

it's always been fine for me (I didn't get it through Epic though)

if the menu's triggering non-menu things it sounds more like the game's messed up than a problem reading the gamepad. Can you do a file verification thing?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New monthly twitch prime games are out:

- Bomber Crew
- Whispers of a Machine
- Mugsters
- Furi
- Epistory - Typing Chronicles

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I could have sworn that twitch already did Bomber Crew, but maybe that was gamepass.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They definitely did Bomber Crew before.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Bomber Crew is without DLC so you are missing out the skins, the extra weapons and most importantly the USAAF campaign.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251870/Go_Go_Nippon_My_First_Trip_to_Japan/

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

it's an MMO that the comments say is very heavily RNG dependent and reliant on the cash shop

so no it wasn't

I played it for a couple of months with my friends without buying anything. It's end game is typical Korean MMO stuff. You grind to get enough money to attempt to enchant your gear to the next level. Occasionally it fails and it delevels the gear, meaning the best way to do it is to do two weapons and upgrade one, then the other in tandem so you never get deleveled. Its certainly not my thing, so I stopped.

It's also basically a single player game and it has a kinda cool node system, but that also turns it into an idle game.

All in all, i enjoyed my time with it, but i'm glad i didn't buy it for more than the £2 or whatever it cost me. I don't agree with the gambling business model of the end game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Did they ever fix the game unceremoniously booting you into an open world gank-fest at some higher level? I remember having fun playing it as a solo exploration/crafting arpg right up until it suddenly released all the pvp locks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah that's still a thing. People generally don't do it and you lose nothing but time for dying, but you do lose stuff for killing people (Ability to access towns, etc) so its not that bad.

That said, i couldn't be bothered to figure out what was "claimed" and what wasn't by the turbo grinders. If you want you can experience the entire game without getting ganked by just not doing the quest to level you up from "non gank level" to "gank level" which i think is around level 50.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GoNNER and Offworld Trading Company are free on EGS now

Next week will be Mutazione, Anodyne 2 and A Short Hike

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

repiv posted:

GoNNER and Offworld Trading Company are free on EGS now

Next week will be Mutazione, Anodyne 2 and A Short Hike

goddamn that's a great week coming up. Already own ASH on Steam, but heard really good things about the other two

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Oh gross, Offworld Trading Company is published by Brad Wardell, noted creep. Please consider not clicking the buy button, as it might reduce the take he's gonna rake in from the promo ;)

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've been wondering how that works, specifically with the kingdom come freebie.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, there's a sequel to Anodyne?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh gross, Offworld Trading Company is published by Brad Wardell, noted creep. Please consider not clicking the buy button, as it might reduce the take he's gonna rake in from the promo ;)
drat, wish I knew this beforehand

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Whybird posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a sequel to Anodyne?

Speaking of which, was there something that I was missing in that game? I played 3-4 hours after reading some very good reviews and it seems like the most barebones Zelda I've ever played. The dust thing was cute but not enough to hold the whole game. Does it eventually change?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, was there something that I was missing in that game? I played 3-4 hours after reading some very good reviews and it seems like the most barebones Zelda I've ever played. The dust thing was cute but not enough to hold the whole game. Does it eventually change?

I haven't finished it but I think it's mainly that it was played by a very generous niche audience. An audience that was somehow impressed by the tonal shifts from treacle to dark and ominous. The most helpful reviews on Steam basically pan it if you read between the lines.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I *think* it was also in the early Greenlight days, when a lot of indie genres were still rare?

People complain about discoverability and there being a lot of crap on Steam obfuscating the good stuff, but really there's a 100 times as much high quality games on Steam now, too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anodyne does in fact change, it's more than just a zelda clone. Gotta think outside the box.

Anodyne 2 was in my top three games last year and is absolutely worth playing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Griefor posted:

I *think* it was also in the early Greenlight days, when a lot of indie genres were still rare?

People complain about discoverability and there being a lot of crap on Steam obfuscating the good stuff, but really there's a 100 times as much high quality games on Steam now, too.

2013, so there was definitely a fair bit of indie stuff out but it was before they were like “gently caress it” and opened the gates to shovel ware.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What's the story here?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

What's the story here?

wardell was the token Respectable CEO of the angry gamer movement that hated women

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

wardell was the token Respectable CEO of the angry gamer movement that hated women

That doesn't explain anything

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I looked it up and there's a sexual harassment claim against him from a former employee.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
multiple and he's pulled poo poo like wanting to release bees into his office to test if one of his employees was really allergic to bee stings

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wardell is a CEO cut from the manbaby libertarian stripe where he believes being a rich prick who owns a company makes him a ~captain of industry~ with unlimited rights and powers over his own private office fiefdom. He would proudly do things like side-park his convertible across multiple handicapped spots(because he owns the building), talk about how he's an obnoxious rear end in a top hat and if anyone has a problem with it he'll shut down the studio since he owns it by god - this is a running theme with Wardell - and is also a loving racist rear end in a top hat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

flatluigi posted:

he's pulled poo poo like wanting to release bees into his office to test if one of his employees was really allergic to bee stings

Wasn't that a comedy video for their social media account?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kennel posted:

he sure thought it was hilarious but it was done without their knowledge

like, if someone snuck peanut butter into my sibling's sandwich for a Prank Video they'd still very probably die

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for the information. gently caress Brad Wardell.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There was also the whole “lacks understanding of copyright vs trademark law, throws frivolous lawsuits at creators of Star Control in attempt to bully them into handing over their copyright and working on his IP.” That seems to have finally resolved, at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kennel posted:

Yes, they were drone bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fez_machine posted:

I haven't finished it but I think it's mainly that it was played by a very generous niche audience. An audience that was somehow impressed by the tonal shifts from treacle to dark and ominous. The most helpful reviews on Steam basically pan it if you read between the lines.

Yeah it came out before the total oversaturation of games with meta fourth wall breaking tonal shifts and the novelty did a lot to carry what is basically just a less visually impressive GB Zelda clone.