Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also any video with Devin Townsend because even if there's no music happening, he's almost always entertaining as hell. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Also any video with Devin Townsend because even if there's no music happening, he's almost always entertaining as hell. :allears:

I dislike his music and think he's kinda corny, but he has that endearing nerd charm some times in videos.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like this guy, his style and general vibe is very cool, for this kind of playing I like him a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzF4SDdeEV0

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Nothing is more disappointing than clicking on a Stew Mac video and finding anyone but Dan Erlewine in front of the camera. Everybody but Dan has the charisma of a wet sock and all the videos are about how to use a capo or what new guitar stands you can buy.

I used to watch a bunch of guitar channels, but they all slowly became more click-baity and a lot of them are just stealth advertising at this point. These days I only watch people who are focused on theory or technique.

Adam Neely
JustinGuitar
SignalsMusicStudio
MusicTheoryForGuitar
anyonecanplayguitar
Wes Theobald

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I like this guy, his style and general vibe is very cool, for this kind of playing I like him a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzF4SDdeEV0

That guy's good. His lesson on Marc Ribot's style is really solid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

Nothing is more disappointing than clicking on a Stew Mac video and finding anyone but Dan Erlewine in front of the camera. Everybody but Dan has the charisma of a wet sock and all the videos are about how to use a capo or what new guitar stands you can buy.

I used to watch a bunch of guitar channels, but they all slowly became more click-baity and a lot of them are just stealth advertising at this point. These days I only watch people who are focused on theory or technique.

Adam Neely
JustinGuitar
SignalsMusicStudio
MusicTheoryForGuitar
anyonecanplayguitar
Wes Theobald

The one dude with hard hair, glasses, and a badass chest piece tattoo was also pretty cool and informative on stewmac. There was one video that he made a jig to test caps in tone circuits to dispell the mojo myth.

Such a shame that channel became what it is now.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Samuraiguitarist
Darrell Braun
Paul Davids

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have learned so much about theory since I discovered SignalsMusicStudio a few weeks back, he's very good at explaining stuff in an easy to digest, use able way.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

steve terreberry the human bitmoji

Lester Shy posted:

I used to watch a bunch of guitar channels, but they all slowly became more click-baity and a lot of them are just stealth advertising at this point.

pretty much all of non-instructional guitar youtube is a glorified home shopping network

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 5, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty much all of non-instructional guitar youtube is a glorified home shopping network

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Adam Neely
JustinGuitar
SignalsMusicStudio
MusicTheoryForGuitar
anyonecanplayguitar
Wes Theobald

I'm very much in the same wheelhouse. There are a select few youtube guitar dudes that are like chewing on tinfoil for me: Steve T, Jared Dines, Scallon, Rob Chapman just shredding away. Thankfully the algorithm seems to have figured me out and stopped recommending any of those. I'm an instant smash-on-play for Adam Neely and Signals. I learn a lot from those guys, esp. Neely. That guy can digest and present complicated ideas really well.

Ryan Lendt is a guy I find very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJuMhkMV_GWy7T7pf13w1Kw
He has a huge stable of songs and while it's pretty beginner oriented, his lessons are thorough and he's a very good dude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Except the reaction videos. I could do without those.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Except the reaction videos. I could do without those.

they just use patreon to get people to pay them to watch whatever

you gotta respect the hustle

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

no broccoli please posted:

Samuraiguitarist

Has he gotten better? I remember watching a few of his videos a while ago and I found them quite jerky to watch because it seemed pretty much every sentence was filmed individually and then edited together.

Kmac2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Samuraiguitarist has gotten a lot better/considerably less choppy.

they just use patreon to get people to pay them to watch whatever

you gotta respect the hustle grift
Man, I should probably start a goon patreon to get that grift happening.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I paid for Paul David's patreon for one month and downloaded like, 3 years worth of PDFs. That at least had some added value.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Has he gotten better? I remember watching a few of his videos a while ago and I found them quite jerky to watch because it seemed pretty much every sentence was filmed individually and then edited together.

Kmac2021

I like Sammy G because he's just doing the Youtube personality thing, but then he starts playing and you're like: "oh yeah! He's got chops!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTHPjw6N4Hg

Anyways, Andy Othling

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like this dude, he's really chilled and has a nice style, both playing and presenting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QajNQyNjxbs

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, Paul Davids has some nice lessons and his tone is awesome, especially for those who dig the Frusciante style (me).

I think it's cool that the music instruction community on youtube has a good positive vibe. Whenever I scroll through some comments on something it always seems to be people saying very nice things to the producer or having an actual discussion. I think anywhere else on YT the comments can cause terminal brain worms.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've become a fan of twoodfrd's guitar repair videos. He works on some unusual stuff and never makes chuddy comments or shittalks the instrument he's working on.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Rosa String Works guy is great to watch for repairs and builds, too. And I don't think I've ever seen him mention a product by name that a client didn't pay him to install or work on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I like Rick Beato's videos any time he's got Rhett Shull and Dave Honorato in the studio with him, then it's just three dudes talking about guitars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I genuinely like the Premier Guitar guy because because he seems kindhearted every now and then it slips he’s more than just an affable fan of every single person he meets but an actual music dork. Like they’ll be talking about how a certain gain sound affects how clear some chords ring through and John will be like “yea you can tell where you guys go from a a major 19th schizfraggian to a flabberdfloo ninth that blah blah blah” and the guy who wrote the song will stare blankly like “uuuuuuh sure dude.”

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That premier guitar dude sticks his pelvis out so confidently

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I genuinely like the Premier Guitar guy because because he seems kindhearted every now and then it slips he’s more than just an affable fan of every single person he meets but an actual music dork. Like they’ll be talking about how a certain gain sound affects how clear some chords ring through and John will be like “yea you can tell where you guys go from a a major 19th schizfraggian to a flabberdfloo ninth that blah blah blah” and the guy who wrote the song will stare blankly like “uuuuuuh sure dude.”

Lol, I wonder what percentage of songwriters have no idea the theory behind what they do. You read about Misha from Periphery or Mikael from Opeth, and both are like, “uhh I don’t know theory”, yet they write some complex as hell music that sounds like they know what they’re doing.

I’m definitely one, I know enough to roughly explain key changes and foundation chord changes, but I couldn’t tell you an add13 from a sus2 or whether I’m in mixolydian or Phrygian.
Someday I’d like to get that foundation, but I failed hard when I tried at Berklee and I haven’t felt confident enough to reapproach.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slothful Bong posted:

Lol, I wonder what percentage of songwriters have no idea the theory behind what they do. You read about Misha from Periphery or Mikael from Opeth, and both are like, “uhh I don’t know theory”, yet they write some complex as hell music that sounds like they know what they’re doing.

I’m definitely one, I know enough to roughly explain key changes and foundation chord changes, but I couldn’t tell you an add13 from a sus2 or whether I’m in mixolydian or Phrygian.
Someday I’d like to get that foundation, but I failed hard when I tried at Berklee and I haven’t felt confident enough to reapproach.

Until you get to the Jacob Collier high levels of music theory, learning theory is more about learning a shared language to be able to adequately describe musical compositions with other musicians. It's a lot more accurate and, if everyone knows the language, easier to say "stay in the half diminished scale for bars 32-36" than "use these notes for this bit." Its also useful for knowing stuff like when and where to use certain techniques and scales in a satisfying way.

Knowing theory doesn't replace building an ear for music, but makes it a lot easier for other people to grasp what you're doing. I'm the type of songwriter who can write some weird, unique stuff, but I don't have a strong enough grasp of theory to adequately explain it. I just figure out how to play the stuff that pops into my head. That drove my old bandmates with more theory knowledge nuts, which lead to friction in the band. Once I realized that we compromised. I started knuckling down and learning more and they started to listen to what I was playing before trying to play along. That bit worked out pretty well from there.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
As someone in this thread pointed out, it helps to remember all that stuff is descriptive (i.e. just a way to talk about it) not prescriptive (something you need to know before being able to use it at all). You don’t need to know music theory but it certainly can help people communicate musical ideas when they both speak the language.

Edit: dammit beaten

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gently caress Your Website posted:

As someone in this thread pointed out, it helps to remember all that stuff is descriptive (i.e. just a way to talk about it) not prescriptive (something you need to know before being able to use it at all). You don’t need to know music theory but it certainly can help people communicate musical ideas when they both speak the language.

Edit: dammit beaten

That might have been me because I say that poo poo all the time. Last time I remember theory coming up was a Holdsworth discussion.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

rickiep00h posted:

That might have been me because I say that poo poo all the time. Last time I remember theory coming up was a Holdsworth discussion.

If so then thanks because that put into words something I had not previously been able to, and also crystallized one of the things that was wrong with the attitude of the previous bassist I’d been playing with (spoiler: he turned out to be a self centered, entitled dick!)

I will never forget him walking into the rental practice space we’d gotten that day and ruefully shaking his head, going “oh no, I think this cabinet is loaded with 14 inch speakers—I need at least 16 inch to get the tone I’m going for!”

Like, then bring your own cabinet, bitch—what the gently caress do you expect for a $15 an hour 14 foot by 16 foot pay as you go space? Plus you play deafeningly loud and you can’t hear poo poo anyway.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 8, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

people are exhausting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Slothful Bong posted:

The other guitarist in our band is a music teacher and he's like scary with it, we got a brass section in and he was talking to them about the sheet music they had written for our songs (which in itself was mad, they play some of my guitar lines with me and seeing my riffs scored was quite something) and he'll sometimes be blown away by something I play (not anything complex, I am no god) because he'd never come up with it, because it's usually all kinds of wrong, and he'll tell me why he likes it, using music theory. Having a dude explain the mode, scale and music theory of my rinky dink riff is always cool, and I 100% of the time reply with 'I thought it sounded cool'.

We talk a lot and his take on it is you can't unlearn theory, so while I know enough for me to be happy, I don't know enough that it allows me to come up with oddball poo poo that he wouldn't, because he can't unlearn that it would be the 'wrong' thing to go for.
He blows my mind with how good he is and I blow his mind because to keep up I have to get creative, play a pedal, shout into my pickups, use a toy ambulance to make a siren noise, whatever - and we've grown to work together really well, and it's loving awesome having a dude who I can say 'why is this thing a thing?' and get a real answer.

OutOfPrint posted:

Knowing theory doesn't replace building an ear for music, but makes it a lot easier for other people to grasp what you're doing

It's this for sure, the brass section met us on the Thurs night for the first time and on the Friday we played a gig to 1500 people, because one of them had scored our full set, it was insane and a real humbling experience, not even having to rehearse a song, they just played it - It was some legit voodoo to me

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

I have learned so much about theory since I discovered SignalsMusicStudio a few weeks back, he's very good at explaining stuff in an easy to digest, use able way.

Agreed. Can't recommend that guy enough.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Yeah but is it vintage?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oroweat, whole grain ‘74.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oroweat, whole grain ‘74.

Dammit.

Everybody knows the best bread ties came out in '68 or earlier.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Dammit.

Everybody knows the best bread ties came out in '68 or earlier.

Nice.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That'll cure your neck dive.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid Music poo poo: Back to the roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

Stupid Music poo poo: Back to the roots.