Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol my manager just explained to everyone that sick time is a goddamn privilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

dex_sda posted:

it's when you milk oats, what's so weird about that

a month from now I'm gonna lol at the losers who didn't kidnap a lactating quaker early

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Bro, Bro- it's fine bro. Just kills dudes with underlying health conditions bro. How many Americans could have those bro?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Cough everywhere around him

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Wherein Simon discovers log-phase growth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Cough everywhere around him
this. direct action gets the goods

cough on all boomers, bosses, and rich

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm literally the worst at timing the market

thank you for your service

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1235618650108735488?s=19

https://twitter.com/2019nCoVwatcher/status/1235572436239667201?s=19

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1235410972661211136?s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

First aid kids

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Xaris posted:

this. direct action gets the goods

cough on all boomers, bosses, and rich

brb, licking my hands and smearing my saliva all over his office door handles

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Nice juxtaposition of huge increases worldwide with American stupidity.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Stop washing your hands and rub them over everything in their office.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Nocturtle posted:

Can you point to more info about this? That's both fascinating and horrifying, especially when the President is apparently personally asking the drug company CEOs to rush out a vaccine.

sometimes you can catch gbs from a vaccine

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
super rare tho

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

U-DO Burger posted:

Hope your manager dies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Didn't that rushed SARS vaccine induce narcolepsy in a bunch of people it was tested on?
it was a disaster and didn't get very far. it should be noted SARS vaccine research didn't stop, its been going on since 2003 without success and this is fundamentally same as SARS. granted a lot less resources were put towards it after it went away but its still an active area of research given it was always possible to come back, and it did. if 17 years didn't do it, i wouldn't hold out hope for anything in the next 18 months.

remdesivir (a more general anti-viral, not a vaccine) seems like it's not going to work and may be even more harmful with the bodies response

another attempt at using lopinavir-ritonavir (hiv drugs) was a failure
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762688

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 5, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

Most of the deaths will be attributed to CAP w/ acute respiratory distress syndrome in the absence of testing and the Republican party will insist that Trump saved us all.

Statistics will show that we have an additional 400-500k pneumonia deaths this season that are 'unattributed".

Business as usual in the smoothbrained right wing.

extremely cool cops are doing this and then locking people up in overcrowded prisons which COVID-19 is sure to turn into an even deadlier place to be

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

JesustheDarkLord posted:

First confirmed case in Williamson Co., TN, which is not good because that's where I live. Fortunately, we just had the flu and have been self-quarantined for like three weeks.

does Gore still live there?

twoday
May 4, 2005

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

U-DO Burger posted:

it may in fact be protected by law, depending on your state

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/GalLuft/status/1234894060671918082?s=19

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

By the time one is detected, there will likely already be dozens with all the good our testing is doing.

They still aren't really testing in Ohio.

quote:

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted a map of US states and territories with one or more labs that are using diagnostic tests for the novel coronavirus.

All states are listed as currently testing for coronavirus, except Alabama, Maine, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming; those states are listed as being in progress, according to the map.

Guam, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are all listed as being in progress, as well. The CDC says people should contact their state health departments with questions about testing. The information is provided by the Association of Public Health Laboratories, the CDC said today.

The CDC is now generally updating coronavirus case totals by noon on weekdays. CDC’s numbers close out at 4 p.m. ET the day before reporting. The most up-to-date case counts will come from states, CDC officials have said.

CNN’s tally relies on state totals and won’t always match CDC’s count – CNN has already counted at least 163 US cases, including 114 cases in 16 states detected through the US public health system.

According to the update Thursday by the CDC, there are now 149 confirmed and presumptive positive cases of novel coronavirus in the United States.

Today's update from CDC includes 46 people who were aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, three people repatriated from China and 100 US cases.

Across the country: US cases are those detected and tested in the United States through US public health systems since January 21. Among the 100 US cases, there have been 10 deaths, according to CDC’s count.

The 100 US cases are in 13 states, according to CDC: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington and Wisconsin.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Singapore has the most amazing data

For most countries its hard to find a detailed map

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
WFH until end of March because my company demanded we all do so. (Big Tech)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

as soon as Pence meets someone who touches their own butt, we're all hosed

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

I hate lists like this. Now everyone will be reminded to pick up an extra 'First Aid Kid' on the way home and they will be all out before I get my paycheck.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

that's an incredible graph

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm the guy still coughing up disease after two weeks asymptomatic

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

excuse me, Dr. Gottlieb, but I do think you're forgetting about a certain pinball museum in a certain city filled with a grand amount of a certain manufacturer's tables...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpU_x9OgQ4

update from our boy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Didn't the Black Death hit Italy first and hard? Like it jumped from ME to Italy and turbofucked it

It probably spread to Italy from Crimea. Genoa had a colony that was besieged by Mongols that probably caught it from them.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there are no brakes on this thing lol. china did all that effort but it'll be for nothing because no one else can contain it.

that exponential curve is actually quite pretty.

twoday
May 4, 2005

dex_sda posted:

that's an incredible graph

https://twitter.com/RyutaroUchiyama/status/1234616723615166465?s=19

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

about to go stock up on basic stuff that i needed anyway but i am curious to see the hand sanitizer situation in my area

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So Italy, Germany and the Netherlands had total cases double overnight, have we seen it literally double anywhere else?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this would lead to a months-long standoff with some people in this country

then again, I'm surprised that census takers aren't embroiled in rolling wars every ten years

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

So Italy, Germany and the Netherlands had total cases double overnight, have we seen it literally double anywhere else?

I think it was doing that early on in Italy

The Netherlands is still refusing to test most people who want to be tested. Today in parliament an MP told a story about someone she knows who was sick and called 5 times to various doctors and health agencies, begging to be tested, willing to pay for it, and they told that person no. A week when they expanded the criteria to cover all people who had been in Northern Italy, not just the quarantined villages, it was found that they and their spouse both had it (and had been at work all week). Most people do not qualify for testing

At the end of the debate most parties agreed that it was being handled properly and no further action should be taken at this time

twoday fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Doc Walrus posted:

Iran. The USA. Especially early in the outbreaks when testing starts to catch up and people realize oh poo poo it’s more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

cash crab posted:

about to go stock up on basic stuff that i needed anyway but i am curious to see the hand sanitizer situation in my area

gonna guess there isn't much to see :v: