Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just call it the BMW Beaver already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

The huge BMW kidneys is apparently the Chinese market's doing. Which makes sense. If you achieve status by flaunting a logo and there's a billion and a half competitors, the logo needs to be big. I wonder if you can pay extra for shame delete in other markets.

Yeah, just make an Alpina version that's identical except for the grill and badge. Or just sell the hideous version in China and give the rest of the world the normal version.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1235257017243181057?s=20

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

quote:

GM is aggregating public charger networks like ChargePoint and EVgo into its myChevrolet mobile app and enabling in-app payment at EVgo chargers.

This sounds less integrated than Ford is doing with Electrify America.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If my experience with the OnStar app is in any way indicative of GM tech generally or MyChevrolet speficically, gently caress THAT poo poo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just got an email from Costco:

quote:

For a limited time, eligible Costco members who purchase or lease a new 2019 Audi e‑tron by March 31, 2020, can receive:1

• A $2,000 Costco member-only incentive

• Select national incentives you may qualify to receive

• Plus, a $500 Costco Shop Card after completing a Costco Auto Program survey

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

GM came out swinging big today. 10 total models, including several for Cadillac and Buick. Third gen ev platform supports 50-200 kWh packs with up to 350 kW charging. They are dumping $20 billion into this. All 10 models will be in production by 2025 I believe.

Next gen Bolt EV gets a fully redone interior with soft touch materials, massively improved seats, and adaptive cruise control available. 259 mile range with 150 kW DC fast charging. There will be a Bolt CUV with 3" more ground clearance and 5" longer total.

Bolt crossover version will also feature Cadillac Super Cruise, being the first brand outside Caddy to have it. They said battery prices on new architecture start around $120/kWh with a clear path to $100/kwh. Every cell has a BMS system. One of your cells goes bad, the pack can be opened and hotswapped, even if it's not the same chemistry.

Lots of scattered info between these pages covering it.

https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/gm-reveals-10-new-production-evs-all-at-once-with-range-up-to-400-miles/

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/04a628f

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/4/21164513/gm-ev-platform-architecture-battery-ultium-tesla

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2020/03/04/gm-spend-billions-evs-autonomous-vehicles-2025/4950451002/

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 4, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Westy543 posted:

Next gen Bolt EV gets a fully redone interior with soft touch materials, massively improved seats, and adaptive cruise control available. 259 mile range with 150 kW DC fast charging.

WHY IS THIS GOING TO TAKE EIGHT loving YEARS?

Good for GM though, it’s good to see someone taking it seriously.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

MrYenko posted:

WHY IS THIS GOING TO TAKE EIGHT loving YEARS?

Good for GM though, it’s good to see someone taking it seriously.

I thought the 2021 was going to have the interior redesign.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ClassH posted:

I thought the 2021 was going to have the interior redesign.

That's what I'm reading too. Seems like the gen 2 is upon us this year.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Really glad I leased my 2020 Bolt.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Westy543 posted:

GM came out swinging big today. 10 total models, including several for Cadillac and Buick. Third gen ev platform supports 50-200 kWh packs with up to 350 kW charging. They are dumping $20 billion into this. All 10 models will be in production by 2025 I believe.

Next gen Bolt EV gets a fully redone interior with soft touch materials, massively improved seats, and adaptive cruise control available. 259 mile range with 150 kW DC fast charging. There will be a Bolt CUV with 3" more ground clearance and 5" longer total.

Bolt crossover version will also feature Cadillac Super Cruise, being the first brand outside Caddy to have it. They said battery prices on new architecture start around $120/kWh with a clear path to $100/kwh. Every cell has a BMS system. One of your cells goes bad, the pack can be opened and hotswapped, even if it's not the same chemistry.

Lots of scattered info between these pages covering it.

https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/gm-reveals-10-new-production-evs-all-at-once-with-range-up-to-400-miles/

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/04a628f

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/4/21164513/gm-ev-platform-architecture-battery-ultium-tesla

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2020/03/04/gm-spend-billions-evs-autonomous-vehicles-2025/4950451002/

Now all we need is a widespread network of high-speed CCS chargers which don't mark up the electricity by a crazy amount, and Tesla will have real competition.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cockmaster posted:

Now all we need is a widespread network of high-speed CCS chargers which don't mark up the electricity by a crazy amount, and Tesla will have real competition.

DCFC is only needed for long distance travel, it's alright if it costs a bit more than Tesla supercharging. I definitely agree with you on the scarcity of the current networks out there, though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'd imagine with GM and Ford investing so heavily in EVs we'll see them start backing charging networks in the US.

I'm kinda surprised one of the big oil co's hasn't started their own network to be installed at their gas station franchises, I know they don't mean it, but they sure do love waving their dicks about paying lipservice to being big into renewable energy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like oil companies because I like to stay alive and have access to food and goods, but gently caress Shell for various reasons that I won't go into. That said, they bought NewMotion a few years ago so they already have a charging network in Europe, and I'm pretty sure they bought some Californian company that had something to do with charging and EVs, but I forget which one.

Seriously though, I even avoid their gas stations unless I have to use one.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

gently caress oil companies in general

Nfcknblvbl posted:

DCFC is only needed for long distance travel, it's alright if it costs a bit more than Tesla supercharging. I definitely agree with you on the scarcity of the current networks out there, though.

Not everyone has home charging or work charging, or even a fixed parking spot, so it'll be needed within cities too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Not everyone has home charging or work charging, or even a fixed parking spot, so it'll be needed within cities too.

DCFC within cities should be around ~50 kW, and plentiful, so that those without reliable charging don't charge at 2C+ every week. Outside of the cities, they should be 150 kW at the least.

Edit: Like Ola said, it sucks to rely on DCFC locally. One major reason is the battery's likely going to be cold, so it's not like you're going to get max speed any way.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 5, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Having to go to a fast charging station to fill up like gas on the regular is a major pain. What you want for city parking is slow charging in public parking spots.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Westy543 posted:

DCFC is not a good solution for daily use. It's far too resource intensive and terrible for the grid due to unpredictable high loads in limited areas. Is also too time intensive - sure I'm happy about a 20 minute break every few hours on a road trip, but between work and picking the kids up from wherever kids go these days? Too much hassle. Also everyone would be trying to charge at that time, it would be chaos. The only reason to use DCFC for daily use is to emulate gas station usage patterns.

Ubiquitous level 2 charging stations is a much better solution. Much cheaper to make, deploy, service, and find room for. Put them in lamp posts when they get upgraded from incandescent to LED. Put them in every parking spot in parking structures. Incentivise businesses to put them in every employee parking spot.

E;f,b. That's what I get for writing so much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Elviscat posted:

I'm kinda surprised one of the big oil co's hasn't started their own network to be installed at their gas station franchises, I know they don't mean it, but they sure do love waving their dicks about paying lipservice to being big into renewable energy.

Circle K is doing this in Europe.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

pun pundit posted:

DCFC is not a good solution for daily use. It's far too resource intensive and terrible for the grid due to unpredictable high loads in limited areas. Is also too time intensive - sure I'm happy about a 20 minute break every few hours on a road trip, but between work and picking the kids up from wherever kids go these days? Too much hassle. Also everyone would be trying to charge at that time, it would be chaos. The only reason to use DCFC for daily use is to emulate gas station usage patterns.

Ubiquitous level 2 charging stations is a much better solution. Much cheaper to make, deploy, service, and find room for. Put them in lamp posts when they get upgraded from incandescent to LED. Put them in every parking spot in parking structures. Incentivise businesses to put them in every employee parking spot.

E;f,b. That's what I get for writing so much.

While I strongly agree, I don't see anyone wanting to actually build level 2s everywhere. The ideal default should be A Plug In Every Spot (or close to it). At some point we will get to a point where it is a norm to install a plug in all parking spaces. Unfortunately we're quite a ways off from that I feel. Whereas a few DCFC in cities will go a long ways towards alleviating pain, especially if you can add most of the miles you'd spend on errands and commute for the week while you're getting groceries / eating out. One really great implementation here in Fremont is at the BART station, there are 40ish level 2 stations. You can just plug in all day and be charged per kWh at wholesale, and come back to your car full. San Jose has agreed to build 1,400 level 2 stations around the city, but I don't know where those are going to go. Right now you can basically draw a 1:1 map across San Jose with public charger density and wealth. Apartment complexes in my area are actually starting to lose business because they're not accommodating EV charging.

AN ASIDE: Tesla is rolling out tons of Model Ys! I took some pictures earlier on my lunch break, they all look like performance Ys by the red calipers:

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 5, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A plug in every parking spot isn't anything new, and already exists where there is the will and the need.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

A plug in every parking spot isn't anything new, and already exists where there is the will and the need.

Yup. Guessing that is from Sweden or Finland where block heaters are very common.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Yup. Guessing that is from Sweden or Finland where block heaters are very common.

Prairie provinces of Canada too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah. Bit harder when it comes to street parking though as you can't have cables running over sidewalks. But at those types of parking spaces they really should roll them out. A slight problem is a also how to and who should pay for it. A simple socket will be much cheaper than having boxes with payment methods that some company is handling. I wish I could charge at home on the street though as it would make it much easier to max my PHEV capability.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah. Bit harder when it comes to street parking though as you can't have cables running over sidewalks. But at those types of parking spaces they really should roll them out. A slight problem is a also how to and who should pay for it. A simple socket will be much cheaper than having boxes with payment methods that some company is handling. I wish I could charge at home on the street though as it would make it much easier to max my PHEV capability.

In Oslo, they have mode 3 charging stations on the sidewalk with app-driven payment for usage, works fairly well. The city council paid for the installation of those charging stations, though, and the cost per hour is only barely above power cost, iirc.

That being said, they're mostly 3.6 kW and lately the green party pushed through some changes that means that you can only park there for 3 hours during the workday. Super convenient. Not.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 5, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wibla posted:

That being said, they're mostly 3.6 kW and lately the green party pushed through some changes that means that you can only park there for 3 hours during the workday. Super convenient. Not.

That's because EV infrastructure improvements are clashing with policies for reduced city traffic. There are still plenty of parking garages where you can stay all day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

New electric 500. 42kWh, 200m range, 0-62 in 9s and the launch edition is €38k lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is it bad if i really like thos wheels

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ola posted:

That's because EV infrastructure improvements are clashing with policies for reduced city traffic. There are still plenty of parking garages where you can stay all day.

Sure, and you pay out the nose for parking there :v:

mobby_6kl posted:

New electric 500. 42kWh, 200m range, 0-62 in 9s and the launch edition is €38k lol

200 meters? improvement from the old one then... Does it support DCFC too?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it bad if i really like thos wheels
Well you'll be able to buy them on craigslist as soon as someone buys a few of these.

Wibla posted:

Sure, and you pay out the nose for parking there :v:

200 meters? improvement from the old one then... Does it support DCFC too?
Yeah they're probably just using the starter to push it along for a bit.

Sure, I don't see why you couldn't put a sticker like this on it.

Anyway, I forgot to link the article: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/all-new-all-electric-fiat-500

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mobby_6kl posted:

That’s certainly not the strangest thing, though. You’ll be well aware that under EU law, all EVs must produce some form of noise at low speeds to make pedestrians aware of their presence. Most go with some sort of spaceship tone, but apparently the 500 will play the music of Amarcord by Nino Rota when pootling around below 12mph. We actually don’t know what to say. Is Fiat having us on?
Anyway, I forgot to link the article: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/all-new-all-electric-fiat-500

Top Gear posted:

That’s certainly not the strangest thing, though. You’ll be well aware that under EU law, all EVs must produce some form of noise at low speeds to make pedestrians aware of their presence. Most go with some sort of spaceship tone, but apparently the 500 will play the music of Amarcord by Nino Rota when pootling around below 12mph. We actually don’t know what to say. Is Fiat having us on?

:laffo:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well finally the Fiat 500 is looking mean too! Can't have enough mean looking cars on the road! Who needs a friendly face? Nobody! Thats who!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The deafening silence about the centoventi is kinda making me reconsider going for a fiat bev next year, I cannot fit in a current 500 let alone in a more cramped one due to the extra battery pack.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is GM going to be the first company to profitably sell EVs?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Is GM going to be the first company to profitably sell EVs?

Nissan Leaf is already profitable

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Finger Prince posted:

Prairie provinces of Canada too.

That was my guess - someplace like Edmonton or Winterpeg.

Apparently there's been a standing joke for 30+ years about using these block heater receptacles to convince southern tourists that we all drive EVs up here. (To our igloos, no doubt).

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would someone get this over an ID3 or a model3sr+?

Will they have low lease terms?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Nissan Leaf is already profitable

I thought that was only on a basis of cost to produce vs sales price, not if you include R&D, but don't quote me on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Why would someone get this over an ID3 or a model3sr+?

Will they have low lease terms?

Same reason you'd get a fossil 500. Because you, or your dad, have lots of money and you want a small city car that's cool in addition to the X5, Range Rover or whatever.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 5, 2020