Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

xzzy posted:

GASing hard for this new body and review units aren't even out.

Please don't hurt us again, Canon.

I am (almost) regretting my Sony switch.

Because who am I kidding -- of course Canon'll disappoint me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The 100-500 is probably going to be half the size?

No specs yet but there are photos. Looks like it will be nice and small (and probably $2k because canon).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

No specs yet but there are photos. Looks like it will be nice and small (and probably $2k because canon).
I'd be pleased with $2k. With that much glass and the RF tax I'm expecting $3k. What's the cheapest RF L lens out right now, anyway?

But I'd probably rather have an EF100-400+RF70-200 than the RF100-500 for wouldn't be surprised if both setups cost the same money.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The best thing about the R5 is that canon actually made the right decision and dumped the stupid EOS R touchbar and put the joystick back in.

ilkhan posted:

What's the cheapest RF L lens out right now, anyway?

I think the cheapest one would be the 24-105 F4 IS ($1100 from canon usa) which is technically the same MSRP as the EF version (even if no one has ever paid that price for the EF one :v:).

With regard to lenses, even for anyone going all-in on canon mirrorless with the new bodies coming (and I'm definitely leaning towards selling my 5D3 now), I'm still not seeing a good reason to start buying RF glass yet given how well the EF/RF adapters work.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Will Canon do a 600mm f/4 RF mount. I'm super curious.

Probably at some point, but don't hold your breath. Just like with Nikon there's little benefit to changing the mount on the superteles since there's little to be gained; the real benefits of the larger mounts seem to be on the wider end of things. And a 600/4 RF would probably be about the same size as a 600/4 EF + adapter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat the R5 looks sweet as hell. How do you think will Canon gently caress it up? All the numbers seem to be right but maybe the sensor will have terrible dynamic range or be a noisy piece of poo poo? Or maybe it'll be fine but cost like 10 grand. I want to believe but I don't know if I can.

It was supposed to be shown at WPPI in Vegas but I haven't heard anything, maybe it got canceled because of the wuhan flu or something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The image and info on the display screen will be upside down.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think I could live with that

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm guessing (sadly) that Canon is going to price it above $3000 in which case I'm probably still going to have to transition to a Sony body as they're way cheaper.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
$3000? I expect it to fully be north of $4000. If it has the advertised specs and isn't a piece of poo poo on release I'm still getting it, though. This would be my first replacement since the 5D mkIII came out.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Body only it will be under $4k.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well and don't forget they have two bodies coming out, there's gonna be a cheaper prosumer version that has decent specs too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I wouldnt be surprised if Canon got aggressive in pricing for the R5/6 and make it up on the RF mount glass sales. Because if the R5 really is as insanely speeced as it is looking to be and if these have anything close to the AF the 1Dx mk III has in liveview mode.... they are gonna sell a metric fuckton of glass to go with the bodies.

I'll certainly walk out of the store with at least a 70-200 2.8 and something else to go with any R5.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends on how much they want it to eat the lunch of the 5Div, or if they want to price it higher to protect DSLR sales while positioning the R5 between the 5D and 1D ranges.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
With the 5D4 being about 3.5 years old, might the R5 be it’s successor in Canon’s strategy?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if Canon got aggressive in pricing for the R5/6 and make it up on the RF mount glass sales. Because if the R5 really is as insanely speeced as it is looking to be and if these have anything close to the AF the 1Dx mk III has in liveview mode.... they are gonna sell a metric fuckton of glass to go with the bodies.

I'll certainly walk out of the store with at least a 70-200 2.8 and something else to go with any R5.

If the adapted EF glass is seamless they might sell less R glass than they expect.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Isn't the draw of RF glass that it works better with the greater megapixels these newer cameras are putting out?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

If the adapted EF glass is seamless they might sell less R glass than they expect.

It is indeed seamless so far with the other R cameras - however the RF is definitely a tick up in quality and speed

President Beep posted:

With the 5D4 being about 3.5 years old, might the R5 be it’s successor in Canon’s strategy?

Thats pretty much a given with the naming. I doubt there will ever be a 5DV

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man that R5 sounds great, I look forward to not being able to afford it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

As far as the R5 goes, I’m taking a ‘will believe it when I see it’ approach to the promised specs. Sony has an 8K APS sensor in the works, the S1H is remarkable for doing full frame 6K, and it’s been well over a decade since Canon leapfrogged any of its competitors in the usual sensor performance metrics (even if they punch above their weight in dependability and color response)...the 5DS and M6ii/90D being the exceptions that prove the rule imo.

Hell, if the R5 has IBIS, dual card slots, and at least gives us moderately oversampled full-width 4K in a usably encoded format, it’ll exceed my expectations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ijyt posted:

Man that R5 sounds great, I look forward to not being able to afford it.

Same. Five years from now or so that might change though.

What’s cool about never having the latest and greatest is that I generally don’t know what I’m missing and the second hand market for camera gear that’s a handful of generations old is bretty gud.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

President Beep posted:

Same. Five years from now or so that might change though.

What’s cool about never having the latest and greatest is that I generally don’t know what I’m missing and the second hand market for camera gear that’s a handful of generations old is bretty gud.

I'm also going to assume it being mirrorless means it won't be as comfortable for me to hold as a full-size DSLR, so that'll help me not crave it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

I'm also going to assume it being mirrorless means it won't be as comfortable for me to hold as a full-size DSLR, so that'll help me not crave it.

There's not a huge difference in size between full-frame mirrorless and full-frame DSLRs. The mirrorless will be marginally thinner on the non-grip side and might be a few mm shorter but the difference is mostly a wash. When I upgraded to my 5Div last year, I had an EOS R and the 5Div in my hands at the same time, and I was struck by how little difference there was in the heft of the two. The R was even somewhat bigger than my old 70D.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It’s that slimness that makes it uncomfortable for me, I’ve got big hands and long fingers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised that, unlike guns, you don't have removable hand grips. It would add a huge market for customization and personalizing a product to connect to a brand more. I vinyl wrap my lens hood once a year or so in different stuff to keep it interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some brands do that. I think there's swappable grips on Fuji bodies? But I might be remembering that wrong.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

um excuse me posted:

I'm surprised that, unlike guns, you don't have removable hand grips. It would add a huge market for customization and personalizing a product to connect to a brand more. I vinyl wrap my lens hood once a year or so in different stuff to keep it interesting.

Yup, camera people should definitely be more like gun people...........to be fair, the industry would probably have a lot more money if they were.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's the only two industries where you shoot people :shrug:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hey I post on here and TFR (and YOSPOS [shamefully])

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't post in TFR, but I have the same amount of cameras as I do guns. I'm the perfect audience to sell dumb accessories to! I have 3 of each

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

um excuse me posted:

It's alive and well in the video industry with camera cages, more or less has the same price ranges too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/03/13/canon-eos-r5-development-updates/

"Confirmed Specs

8K video capture – Up to 29.97fps (30fps)
No-Crop
Dual Pixel AF is available in all 8K modes
Internal recording
Animal detection – Steadily tracks animal subjects (dogs, cats, birds, etc.) by detecting the body, face, or eye of the subject.
"

Either this body is gonna cost $5k or canon is full on apologizing for piss poor offerings the last several years and are ready to demonstrate they are still relevant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The whole 'Canon's Cripple Hammer' thing is poppycock. Canon have simply been behind the curve on their sensor technology and it's not trivial to upgrade sensor fabs. This is just the fruit of Canon working away in the background and getting the sensor tech up to speed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This could be a shift in company ethos based on abysmal year over year DSLR sales, as well. When they were releasing mediocre or even poorly speccd cameras, they knew exactly what they were doing. They had a business strategy laid down and they didn't want any of their new offerings disrupting their current stuff, it puts them in a difficult hole to get out of, but it's well fortified and risk adverse. In my opinion, Canon didn't understand how easily people were willing to jump to other camera ecosystems, thinking that CPS was nearly an unrivaled service.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Pablo Bluth posted:

The whole 'Canon's Cripple Hammer' thing is poppycock. Canon have simply been behind the curve on their sensor technology and it's not trivial to upgrade sensor fabs. This is just the fruit of Canon working away in the background and getting the sensor tech up to speed.
I mean... features like animal detection and eye detection AF, focus peaking, and video resolution/fps locks are 100% on the software side, or at worst limited by the DIGIC hardware's specs, but not related to sensors. The fact that they price their cinema cameras at $30000 with features (but not ergonomics) comparable to $3000 DSLR cameras has to have something to do with it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Like Nikon they were a bit caught between switching to mirrorless and annoying their existing userbase. I do think that having put off the switch they failed to do enough behind the scenes R&D on stuff like IBIS. The video resolution/fps stuff I do think it entirely hardware (a combination of the sensor and processor) except for the occasional stupidity like dropping 24p.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Either this body is gonna cost $5k or canon is full on apologizing for piss poor offerings the last several years and are ready to demonstrate they are still relevant.
Come on apology... :f5:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Canon have already said this is going into the 5D segment so expect a similar price. And if anyone was awake, the M6 II was the clear warning shot Canon wasnt doomed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
A bit disappointed if the R6 leaks are true and it is just a 20mp sensor, less than my 6D MK2 I was hoping to replace it with (and 0.2 less than the original 6D!). With Sony throwing three times as many megapixels out there in their cameras right now it still seems like Canon is a bit behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm intrigued by the R6, yeah the sensor is an oddly small MP but it's full frame and as long as the dynamic range is solid I can't see that as a downside. Yes everyone else is pushing 50MP+ these days but the R6 is clearly aimed at the prosumer folks and everything else it does it seems to be doing right. Dual card slots and 20FPS is pretty nice for a non-pro camera. I wouldn't even miss the top down screen (and really, I'd be happy if it was gone from the R5 too. put a physical dial or something there instead).