Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This isn't really a just figured out thing but it's still a pretty cool thing

https://twitter.com/engineeringvids/status/1234191404550672385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Figured out / read / realized years ago that the drat fedora m'lady guy was the fat smelly kid from Freaks and Geeks.

But somehow not until making a lovely throwaway Mr. Show joke in an SAS baseball thread yesterday did I realize that the same guy played William Van Landingham in Mr. Show.

And despite seeing every episode of Mr. Show too many times to count, I never noticed that he also played the poor doomed son of Willups Brighton.

Poor kid has no idea what's coming for him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The m'lady picture was done as a joke, I believe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inzombiac posted:

The m'lady picture was done as a joke, I believe.

Things have clearly gotten out of hand.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MariusLecter posted:

Things have clearly gotten out of hand.

Yeah, jokes have lost all meaning in the current timeline. Simultaneously everything is a joke and nothing is a joke, it's known as Trumpdingers Paradox

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, jokes have lost all meaning in the current timeline. Simultaneously everything is a joke and nothing is a joke, it's known as Trumpdingers Paradox

I've identified a solution to identifying whether or not something is a joke, it's to simply turn off your monitor

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've identified a solution to identifying whether or not something is a joke, it's to simply turn off your monitor

Strange how the test always up ‘joke’ for you huh?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would never test an experimental methodology on myself! :eng101:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol if you own a monitor in 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol if you own a monitor in 2020

Lol Brazilian Navy! It has outlasted their aircraft carrier and that thing was also pretty old.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

This isn't really a just figured out thing but it's still a pretty cool thing

https://twitter.com/engineeringvids/status/1234191404550672385

Haha, I thought they had some other machine to pick it all up off the ground later.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Beartaco posted:

Haha, I thought they had some other machine to pick it all up off the ground later.

How a Baler Works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYTcWhOmER4

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The song is not Move My Jacket

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

"She's giving me the excitations", not "egg citations".

Those at least sound similar, but why would I assume it was eggs? And then not question it for my entire life?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, but that's the lovely baler which does not work when you automate your field worker by pressing "H".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Those at least sound similar, but why would I assume it was eggs? And then not question it for my entire life?

It was the '60s, maaan

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Same reason I thought the line in "Build Me Up, Buttercup" by the Foundations was

I'll be home
I'll play the xylophone waiting for you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ELO's Showdown did it for me, to this day I can't hear "It's unreal, the suffering" as anything but "It's a real submarine". To be fair, this was before Jeff Lynne learned how to sing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm mildly obsessed with mondegreens, and one of my favorite bands has a vocal and lyrical style that somehow results in my hearing every other line as something more bizarre than whatever they actually wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dXeT0W-hk

If the opening line to this song is not "Her eye's gone, you discarded tumble-dog," I don't want to know what it is. Also, "No gecko, no mecko."

Edit: Not embedding the video, because I can't tell if the album cover is :nws: or not.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Mar 5, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/TightGaseousCowbird.webm

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

wut

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It looks like you can lock the cd draw closed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inceltown posted:

It looks like you can lock the cd draw closed.

No, it's literally to rotate the logo to match the orientation of the ps2

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Len posted:

That was underwhelming

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Considering there's a sony logo right there that presumably doesn't rotate that seems pointless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I dunno, I owned a PS2 for eight years and several house moves and never realised the little logo on the front could be rotated to match the orientation. Seemed pretty neat to discover it 12 years later.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I found this out on day 1 of owning a PS2 :smuggo:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bell jar posted:

I found this out on day 1 of owning a PS2 :smuggo:

congrats on your recent purchase of a vintage ps2

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I found out about the rotating logo when I removed the whole front cover from the disc tray so I could play copied games with the GameShark + crochet hook trick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some washboards have glass fronts. In hindsight it makes sense as you can simply cast it into shape and it'll never rust or react with chemicals in the detergent.

Anyway I wish I'd known this before throwing one down some stairs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

Which is dumb because didn't keeping it in vertical orientation eventually break it? Something about one of the gears that spins the disc gets warped or knocked off its pin or something?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which is dumb because didn't keeping it in vertical orientation eventually break it? Something about one of the gears that spins the disc gets warped or knocked off its pin or something?

the Xbox 360 would eat discs if you turned it while it was running, I never heard anything like this about the PlayStations

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nah, PS2s are basically indestructible. I worked in a place with a couple of hundred of them running all day every day and they hardly ever broke down. For months I had one on my desk that would only detect the disc when the machine was horizontal but would only load it up when it was vertical, but once it was up and running, it was fine. One time there was a power problem in the building and no-one noticed until a game in test started showing really weird graphic distortions, he went to touch the machine and it was running so hot the memory card was almost too hot to handle. It was like the poor ol ps2 was having hallucinations due to a high fever.

We'd similar numbers of xboxes and there was just a neverending stream of them being set back to ms for repairs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pookah posted:

Nah, PS2s are basically indestructible. I worked in a place with a couple of hundred of them running all day every day and they hardly ever broke down. For months I had one on my desk that would only detect the disc when the machine was horizontal but would only load it up when it was vertical, but once it was up and running, it was fine.

I had an original PS that worked fine for 10 years until it just stopped recognizing discs anymore. Forget how I figured it out, but it loaded up just fine if you flipped it upside down and kept it that way. I ended up gluing little feet to the top so it wouldn't sit directly on the domed lid and rock after you flipped it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think there was a run of PS2s, the one after initial US release, that burnt out lasers and or disc motors after 5 years or so, regardless of orientation. The rest were more or less bullet proof and maybe lost the laser lottery.

The US release controller and memory card ports are kind of shoddy but I think you can home repair them because I think it was just loose wires.

If you were a kid interested at all in the PS2 and reading magazines about you assuredly knew the logo rotated because it was nearly the headline of half the previews because noone really expected to sell magazines with screenshots of a fireworks simulator or technical navel gazing the emotion engine.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:catstare:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Memento posted:

I dunno, I owned a PS2 for eight years and several house moves and never realised the little logo on the front could be rotated to match the orientation. Seemed pretty neat to discover it 12 years later.

I had a Wii for over a decade before I realized there's a little panel on the side that hides sockets for you to plug in your GameCube controllers / memory cards.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I had a random thought pop up in my head today for no discernable reason: Usagi Yojimbo was the best part of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles world. I haven't thought about TMNT or Usagi Yojimbo in years, and the strongest memory is from the 80s cartoon (when I was a single-digit-age child), but nothing more specific than "the rabbit samurai was pretty awesome."

Thing I just figured out: Usagi Yojimbo isn't actually a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles character, but an independently-created Animal-Person Hybrid Comic Book with Japanese Influences, that just so happened to have numerous crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

beats for junkies posted:

Thing I just figured out: Usagi Yojimbo isn't actually a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles character, but an independently-created Animal-Person Hybrid Comic Book with Japanese Influences, that just so happened to have numerous crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Mystery Men share a universe with TMNT.

They debuted in a Flaming Carrot comic, and Flaming Carrot had a crossover with TMNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pookah posted:

Nah, PS2s are basically indestructible. I worked in a place with a couple of hundred of them running all day every day and they hardly ever broke down. For months I had one on my desk that would only detect the disc when the machine was horizontal but would only load it up when it was vertical, but once it was up and running, it was fine.

Wasn't that related to the wobble mark on the discs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGMR6FHey68