Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Gets the Red Top, too. 12km Mach 3+ AAM.

And depending on how generous they want to be about it, all-aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

F-104 when?

This is important.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

idk why everyone wants the starfighter so bad, skip it and give us the f-106 instead

...with genies

:getin:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

<air start>
<10 seconds later>
<Return to the Battlefield>
<tries to line up for a bombing run>
<gets frustrated, pulls too hard on the stick to try and find something to bomb>
<blacks out, crashed into hill>

(same for the F104)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Honestly not sure if I want an early-model USAF F-104 interceptor or a West German F-104G more.

Think of all the lawn darts.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

T-72B is a thing now. Well, now I can finally finish unlocking the last 3 upgrades in the T-72.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Madurai posted:

And depending on how generous they want to be about it, all-aspect.

Apparently it was only very limited all-aspect, against hot supersonic targets.

I think they'd have to make engine changes to model the heat of the airframe from friction, they probably won't bother doing that for a british missile.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Blistex posted:

<air start>
<10 seconds later>
<gets frustrated, pulls too hard on the stick to try and find something to bomb>
<blacks out, crashed into hill>

(same for the F104)

If they decide to do the F.53 export version, we will get the opportunity to bomb things in a Lightning! (except not me, I'll never finish grinding my way to jets in my lifetime)

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

free hubcaps posted:

idk why everyone wants the starfighter so bad, skip it and give us the f-106 instead

...with genies

:getin:

This sounds like it would bring back the suicidal joy of the strangelove unreal tournament mod

That is, everyone repeatedly dying within moments, match over

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
A special event where you have a ton of Soviet heavy bombers coming in and 4 players with Genies

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

dev server is out and the swedish tank tree is looking pretty fun, there's some wacky stuff in there

also in other excellent news swedes are getting the draken this update

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'm curious about helicopters in this patch. Did they nerf the Ka-50 to make it less of an unstoppable chopper-killer or lazy idiot magnet? Any changes to auto-tracking ATGMs or missile warnings? Did they unfuck SAM tracking?

And I guess did they add Apaches.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Warbadger posted:

I'm curious about helicopters in this patch. Did they nerf the Ka-50 to make it less of an unstoppable chopper-killer or lazy idiot magnet? Any changes to auto-tracking ATGMs or missile warnings? Did they unfuck SAM tracking?

And I guess did they add Apaches.

ive got some bad news

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

ive got some bad news

Bad news? I'll get like a third of that unlocked immediately with my last ka-50 and mi-28N unlocks.

The question is whether the Vikhr remains broken as gently caress.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The KA-52 is only as dangerous as the implementation of the helo mechanics, which they change on a dime. The Huey Hog is a perfect example of that; it was way too good for a month and now it’s essentially unusable in CARB because of overlapping nerfs.

If they can still spawn at game start and fire 10km Vikhrs at things leaving spawns it doesn’t really matter what else they add, it won’t be enjoyable.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

In the Ka-50 (and 52)'s case it remains broken if:
1) The Vikhr retains the incorrect 10km range, out ranging most air defenses.
2) The Vikhr retains the proximity fuse for air targets, allowing 10km heli kills with zero countermeasures.
3) It still gets a launch warning for SAMs.

Auto-tracking ATGM changes could also have some impact, but honestly it was super easy to manually guide them anyways.

Similarly the unfucking of SAM fragmentation effects and tracking would help, but not much if the top 3 factors remain unchanged.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 4, 2020

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Vikhr's 10km when launched from a plane, 8km from a heli. Sources: Official public data and documents. Gaijin give no gently caress$$$. Saw some youtuber defend the Ka-52 because you could not just buy yourself one. Could not be bothered to tell him.

J35D is beautiful but right now it's like mach 1.slight and ripping wings when it wants to, instead of mach 2+ and able to Cobra at serious speed. Gaijin's gonna Gaijin because Sweden's at risk of joining NATO I guess.

If the Ka50 is 10.0 then I need to find an 8.7 in the Swedish tonks that I enjoy. Not bothered going above 8 for a while and it's a treat.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 4, 2020

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

ive got some bad news

Hmmm. I think TECTOBbIN CEPBEP isn’t that bad actually

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I have been playing Japan 10.0 lately and it's not really quite as apocalyptic as some people describe it. Yeah Ka-50s are a pain, but there's usually enough geography that you can use to hide yourself from them that they have to work for their kills, and the moment a plane is up they are in a lot of danger.

The Ka-52 is gonna be a problem because apparently it gets thermals (which I didn't know the Ka-50 didn't? that's good to know) and its introduction will mean a lot of people will spam the Ka-50 in order to unlock it. On the flipside that might just mean a bunch of poo poo Ka-50 players in the air that will be easy pickings and ruin their team's chances at winning battles, so it could still go either way.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

YF-23 posted:

I have been playing Japan 10.0 lately and it's not really quite as apocalyptic as some people describe it. Yeah Ka-50s are a pain, but there's usually enough geography that you can use to hide yourself from them that they have to work for their kills, and the moment a plane is up they are in a lot of danger.

The Ka-52 is gonna be a problem because apparently it gets thermals (which I didn't know the Ka-50 didn't? that's good to know) and its introduction will mean a lot of people will spam the Ka-50 in order to unlock it. On the flipside that might just mean a bunch of poo poo Ka-50 players in the air that will be easy pickings and ruin their team's chances at winning battles, so it could still go either way.

In my experience it was way worse after it was first added, and if the past holds up, is gonna be awful right after every patch that adds something new to research with it. It's gonna be at its worst whenever the people who own it have something to grind with it.

Honestly in a decent, attentive player's hands, nothing else in the air *should* be a danger to them. Those AA missiles they have are incredible.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

YF-23 posted:

It’s not game breaking but the fact they can spawn at game start tossing Vikhrs means a good one can kill 3-4 people before they do anything and also forces you to play all cautious in the first few minutes instead of advancing aggressively, aka one of the most important things to do on many maps to get positional advantage.

I don’t really give a poo poo about them being good shooters but they absolutely should not be able to spawn w/ Vikhrs (or any 6km+ ATGM) at round start. This was a noted and then solved problem during the Huey Hog first phase and apparently they just decided to gently caress it up again in their pendulum balancing.

If they force you back to as many spawn points as a bomber for the 9.7+ choppers it’ll solve every major problem I have. Choppers should be dangerous as gently caress, but you should have to contribute in a tank to earn one. That model was shown to work for years (reserve tank fast capping aside).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 5, 2020

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The Vikhr is the best anti-aircraft weapon in the game. It can effortlessly kill any hostile helicopter with no means to evade or otherwise avoid it, from well outside the range of any other helicopter's weapons (which are hard countered by auto-flares anyways). It also makes for a very effective defense against jets for more experienced players. Regardless of any other changes the Vikhr is going to need to be nerfed in that capacity if helicopter balance is going to be a thing.

It is also the best anti-ground missile in the game, only hamstrung by the lack of IR on the Ka-50. Having IR and the Vikhr on the same chopper is going to be ridiculously broken against ground targets...

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 5, 2020

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

dev server is out and the swedish tank tree is looking pretty fun, there's some wacky stuff in there

also in other excellent news swedes are getting the draken this update

:fap:

Also, a question. I'm at the point where I'm collecting money to buy my first jet. What is the point where people start really getting into RB? I've been an arcade scrub pretty much my entire time, so should I start transitioning into learning how to RB, or should I pretty much go back to biplanes and start RBing there and learn my way back up the line?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Rorac posted:

Also, a question. I'm at the point where I'm collecting money to buy my first jet. What is the point where people start really getting into RB? I've been an arcade scrub pretty much my entire time, so should I start transitioning into learning how to RB, or should I pretty much go back to biplanes and start RBing there and learn my way back up the line?

Early monoplanes will serve you well. BR 2-4 is a good point for learning the basics of air combat without being too stressful, 5 and above you start getting into tryhard territory where players will fight for that win rather than just dick around. That said, jet combat is somewhat different because of the mechanics involved. Jet engine thrust scales with your speed as more air is fed into the jet engine, so being caught at low speeds in a jet is a bigger liability than it is for props, for instance, so while learning RB with props is a good idea what you learn won't translate 1:1 to jets.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Rorac posted:

Meh! Start with something you enjoyed playing, maybe in the 3-5 BR range will be fine for learning RB. If you have access to Swedish fighters, their mgs kick arse in low BR games. Early jets fall into 2 tiers:

1) poo poo jets that fight super props
2) would be alright jets but get tiered with jets 200+ kph faster and may have missiles

My personal choice is go for the lower tier Russian jets. The guns hit well and teach trigger control but *most* of them go fast enough or can turn well enough to gain an advantage for a newbie jet player.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
He-112 A-0 is good for RB intro. Teaches energy management, techniques like scissoring, short burst or even single shot kills with nose mounted gun.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also it has a tank’s 20mm which is pretty neat

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

So the Ka-52 is looking like a super bad idea.

It has much better loadouts with both more Vikhrs and more iglas than the Ka-50. It has thermal optics with the same super high magnification from the Ka-50 giving it by far the best helicopter optics in the game. Just in case that combination wasn't good enough it also has a ground vehicle RADAR to pinpoint tank locations. All on a platform that handles like the Ka-50 with a nearly inexhaustible supply of flares on top because why not.

It will be, by far, the most capable helicopter in the game. The current crop of helicopters and future Apaches or whatever are gonna get wrecked by this thing. Tanks and SPAAs are going to get wrecked almost as hard - certainly worse than the Ka-50 does. It's even flat out better than the already extremely good Mi-28N...

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Warbadger posted:

So the Ka-52 is looking like a super bad idea.

It has much better loadouts with both more Vikhrs and more iglas than the Ka-50. It has thermal optics with the same super high magnification from the Ka-50 giving it by far the best helicopter optics in the game. Just in case that combination wasn't good enough it also has a ground vehicle RADAR to pinpoint tank locations. All on a platform that handles like the Ka-50 with a nearly inexhaustible supply of flares on top because why not.

It will be, by far, the most capable helicopter in the game. The current crop of helicopters and future Apaches or whatever are gonna get wrecked by this thing. Tanks and SPAAs are going to get wrecked almost as hard - certainly worse than the Ka-50 does. It's even flat out better than the already extremely good Mi-28N...

high tier CARB isnt a tank focused game its a helicopter game where people bring tanks in so the heli customers have something to shoot

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

id say its novel how gaijin screws over one section of their playerbase to appease another but then i remember how fun bombing used to be before tanks came around

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

hakimashou posted:

high tier CARB isnt a tank focused game its a helicopter game where people bring tanks in so the heli customers have something to shoot

Heli players got hosed the hardest by the addition of the Ka-50 - it immediately destroyed that part of the game even back when SAMs were able to mitigate its impact on the ground battles by blowing them all out of the sky. The Ka-50's issues boil down to the implementation of the Vikhr ATGM - the fastest ATGM, the only ATGM with a proxy fuse for air targets, with a huge goddamn payload, that (due to the proxy fuse, payload, and high velocity) is so easy to hit choppers with that it can be reliably left to guide itself via laser-lock for what amounts to effortless kills. To spawn a helicopter against a team with the Ka-50 you are going to get a lovely experience:

You cannot hide because distant helicopters show up as very obvious black dots at long range. If he bothers to look he will see you as soon as you take off.
You cannot dodge or outrun the missile in a helicopter.
You have no countermeasures for SACLOS missiles or to break the laser lock. Your flares will just make you even easier to spot.
There are few to zero places on any given map to hide in terrain or easily break LOS from a flying target. You usually can't use those few places if you want to contribute to the ground battle or sneak up on the enemy helicopters.
Even if you close the absurdly long range to attack the Ka-50 your own IR AAMs are useless thanks to automatic countermeasure systems immediately deploying 100% effective flares. Shooting an Igla or Stinger will only warn him that you're nearby.
Your SACLOS missiles are slow, have half the range or worse, don't have proxy fuses, and the top-attack missiles can't reliably hit flying targets due to the hosed up flight paths (Hellfires, PARS 3 LR). The automatic countermeasure systems will also warn him of your incoming missile, making it trivial to dodge.
Ka-50's absurd range means they can engage ground targets from right over friendly airbase AAA. This will show them exactly where you are and damage you well before you can engage.

This is why helicopter battles died immediately upon the Ka-50's introduction - there was no point in even trying to spawn anything against them. It's why not-Russian helicopters are currently rare in CARB - other helicopters are much more vulnerable to air defenses/jets while being free kills for even the laziest of the Ka-50 pilots. Any new helicopters Gaijin adds will be in the same lovely situation until major changes are made to the Vikhr.

Edit: Alternatively, if they absolutely must include the Vikhr proxy fuse for reality's sake, they should make everyone's laser guided Hellfires and such pinpoint accurate against a painted chopper like they are IRL so at least everyone else can swing back at the fuckers.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 7, 2020

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRN7RzPoAWY

This rules. Recommended to spice up your Air RB life with.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

https://warthunder.com/en/news/6638-development-ah-64-apache-the-rotary-chieftain-en
neat

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh poo poo, I wasn't sure if they were going to go all the way to the 64D with the Longbow radar modelled. They also gave it a full 16 Hellfire loadout with wingtip Stingers... which I'm pretty sure isn't actually a real combination the army ever made active.

If those Hellfire-L are accurately modeled they might honestly swing the balance back hard; you be able shoot and FLY AWAY and they'll maintain track. They are MMW radar guided, making them completely fire and forget, ripple fired at multiple targets, and work through nearly all battlefield obscurants.

EDIT: Looking it up on reddit, they are pulling the 16 Hellfire+Stinger loadouts and they didn't go all the way to the Hellfire-L for basically the exact reason above.

With that said they are re-applying the 480-600 SP to spawn helo ATGMs again and probably nerfing the Vihkr outright, so we'll see of this patch is worth jumping back into.

At this point though if anyone hasn't caught on to the obvious "buff to premiums then nerf to ground, rinse and repeat" model, it's getting pretty hard to miss. They used to be more subtle but now it's like a flat out gimmick, which makes sense because in the last 2-3 years they've leaned really hard into $50 premium vehicles compared to the ~5 years before that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 14, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A vehicle that can F&F enough missiles to delete an entire team twice over from outside of return fire is certainly balanced yes.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bet it will start at 2.3 BR lower than it will be in 6 months.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Bet it will start at 2.3 BR lower than it will be in 6 months.

If only because gaijin is making it really hard for the current 1.0-10.3 BR spread to be sustainable with the non-stop expansion of top tier vehicles. When you go into custom battles and try to set a BR limit the highest option is 10.7 even though there's no 10.7s and, publicly, gaijin was really reluctant to even bump max BR from 10.0 to 10.3, so I'm willing to bet there's plans to raise the cap.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mazz posted:

Oh poo poo, I wasn't sure if they were going to go all the way to the 64D with the Longbow radar modelled. They also gave it a full 16 Hellfire loadout with wingtip Stingers... which I'm pretty sure isn't actually a real combination the army ever made active.

If those Hellfire-L are accurately modeled they might honestly swing the balance back hard; you be able shoot and FLY AWAY and they'll maintain track. They are MMW radar guided, making them completely fire and forget, ripple fired at multiple targets, and work through nearly all battlefield obscurants.

EDIT: Looking it up on reddit, they are pulling the 16 Hellfire+Stinger loadouts and they didn't go all the way to the Hellfire-L for basically the exact reason above.

With that said they are re-applying the 480-600 SP to spawn helo ATGMs again and probably nerfing the Vihkr outright, so we'll see of this patch is worth jumping back into.

At this point though if anyone hasn't caught on to the obvious "buff to premiums then nerf to ground, rinse and repeat" model, it's getting pretty hard to miss. They used to be more subtle but now it's like a flat out gimmick, which makes sense because in the last 2-3 years they've leaned really hard into $50 premium vehicles compared to the ~5 years before that.

We get Hellfire K's rather than L's due to balance concerns. This is actually a good decision but it makes the decision to include the Vikhr that much more confusing.

The real question with Hellfires, though, is whether they fixed the accuracy issues. Right now it's basically impossible to hit a non-locked target with top attack ATGMs as they frequently land nowhere near the painted point. With locked targets they still sometimes decide to just gently caress off and fly sideways after launch. They also tend to be unable to reach targets within 1-1.5km of max range.

Where did you see a Vikhr nerf mentioned? I know AAM ranges got nerfed across the board at "low altitude", but that won't necessarily include the Vikhr which is still going 10km on the test server.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 14, 2020

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Gets the Red Top, too. 12km Mach 3+ AAM.

“Red Flop” as its pilots used to call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Warbadger posted:

We get Hellfire K's rather than L's due to balance concerns. This is actually a good decision but it makes the decision to include the Vikhr that much more confusing.

The real question with Hellfires, though, is whether they fixed the accuracy issues. Right now it's basically impossible to hit a non-locked target with top attack ATGMs as they frequently land nowhere near the painted point. With locked targets they still sometimes decide to just gently caress off and fly sideways after launch. They also tend to be unable to reach targets within 1-1.5km of max range.

Where did you see a Vikhr nerf mentioned? I know AAM ranges got nerfed across the board at "low altitude", but that won't necessarily include the Vikhr which is still going 10km on the test server.

It was a comment in one of Reddit's patch item notes which means it has a 80% chance of not existing. The spawn point change is direct from a dev on the Russian forums though, which I think is a much bigger deal overall.

EDIT: Stona said on the Russian forums somewhere that the Vikhr will eat the low altitude AtA nerf, which should decrease it's range by 25%. Not sure if that's actually true though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 14, 2020