Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

New crypto money Coronabux. It’s pegged to the virus.

How hasn’t anyone thought of this yet.

Someone did actually. The number of tokens goes down everytime someone dies, which is supposed to give it value, in true bitcoin reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Floodixor posted:

Sorry someone asked me to follow up as I'm on a support team for Airbnb and I'll say that in just one of the ticket queues only, we currently have 16,950 tickets. I can't imagine how much money they're losing off of this (technically it would be the hosts but it will still massively affect the company)

Tickets for what?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My uncle who works at united airlines says that they're spraying coronavirus on all of the economy seats, you have to upgrade to a premium seat if you don't want to catch it

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My uncle who doesn't work says he is a pangolin and I should follow him inside his trailer to try his special injection

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

popewiles posted:

Pence is being set up to be the fall guy so trump can replace him on the ticket with Nikki Haley.

Thisx1000.

Lolol at coronabux.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are there any good resources predicting how widespread the virus ACTUALLY is?

"Confirmed cases" to me feels like the tip of the iceberg, because humans are selfish and most people will not go to a doctor and risk being quarantined.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

Modern science can't even confirm the fuckability of pangolins

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Even if people wanted to experiment with baking bread for the first time, stores have a lot less yeast than they have flour

I’m no doubt badly beaten on this, but just make sourdough. Here in Sydney though it’s buying flour that’s currently the problem.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

smoobles posted:

"Confirmed cases" to me feels like the tip of the iceberg, because humans are selfish and most people will not go to a doctor and risk being quarantined.

Also they don't want to pay 3-4k for a test nor can most people afford to take time off from work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well when you're processing a million tests they're going to be cheaper than that

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So it seems like there is less hysteria around all this, even here in the PNW so I'm wondering what the future holds at this point. What is everyone planning on doing with their TP cache?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Also they don't want to pay 3-4k for a test nor can most people afford to take time off from work.

Yeah that too.

It's gotta be like 10x higher than reported

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Don't worry, Pence will use prayer

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

bomb posted:

So it seems like there is less hysteria around all this, even here in the PNW so I'm wondering what the future holds at this point. What is everyone planning on doing with their TP cache?

Uh use them to wipe their asses? Buying long lasting food and TP isn't exactly a waste of money since you can always use the stuff if the virus apocalypse doesn't happen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Don't worry, Pence will use prayer

We need to form large indoor prayer groups to pray it away. America is the chosen country god won't let the virus infect his flock.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bomb posted:

Gonna upgrade to 2 squares per wipe, living the life of luxury here

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

richardm posted:

I’m no doubt badly beaten on this, but just make sourdough. Here in Sydney though it’s buying flour that’s currently the problem.

I was actually going to make a starter on general principle this week, but it consumes a cup of flour a day, most of which is thrown away. (Create cup of starter. Wait a day. Throw away half of it. Add a cup of flour and water. Repeat.)

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Uh use them to wipe their asses? Buying long lasting food and TP isn't exactly a waste of money since you can always use the stuff if the virus apocalypse doesn't happen.

If the hording is any indication people are going to be good on TP for a long time

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Americans just poo poo themselves a lot in general anyways

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate that we got an email at work about the hotlines but then I noticed that those phone lines are only open on weekdays. Cool, cool.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was actually going to make a starter on general principle this week, but it consumes a cup of flour a day, most of which is thrown away. (Create cup of starter. Wait a day. Throw away half of it. Add a cup of flour and water. Repeat.)

ok i've been doing this for a while so a couple tips:
- you don't need to use a cup or a half cup or whatever, it's more about the proportions you're adding or removing so you could half that and it would still work basically just the same. i only keep a half cup of starter and only need a cup for a loaf of bread. once it's built up you can just have a little bit of starter and add however much flour you'll need and it'll be ready the next day
- you don't need to toss half every day necessarily. once it's going you can leave it in the fridge (sealed so it doesn't dry out) for up to a week. and if you have extra while you're getting it going, may i suggest:

pancakes
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter

mix starter, baking soda, salt and egg together. add butter to pan and heat it up on medium high. once it's melted pour it into the starter and mix it up. then apply pancake mix to heated pan to create delicious pancakes

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

So now is a good time to short on TP company stocks, right?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can use the discarded part to make muffins

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

richardm posted:

You also can't get a starter, so you're going to have to start from wild yeast, which is a week+ of effort before you can even start trying to bake. It's not humanly impossible, but it's a hobby thing for people who are already into baking. 99% of the population is just going to buy an extra loaf of bread and put it in the freezer. Most of the population could not even handle a quickbread.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Well when you're processing a million tests they're going to be cheaper than that

What

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lofi posted:

So now is a good time to poo poo myself

Yes

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Gonna upgrade to 2 squares per wipe, living the life of luxury here

You use only 2 squares per wipe? I thought the smallest was 3 squares. This is very unsettling.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Sten Freak posted:

My folks booked us on a cruise for June a while back. Thankfully my mom did get travel insurance which is extremely unusual for her but this is a big expense for her. I feel really sorry for her.

I still think by June either things will be so bad it'll be cancelled or we will just not go, money be damned, the disease will be burned out or subdued, or tiny chance there will be a vaccine. 4 months, I dunno, seems to me most likely it's everywhere by then. Also :lol: at death barge.

UK govt. said to expect it to peak in 2 to 3 months, and then be in decline for another 2 to 3 months. That would put the peak at around July/June. It's really likely that this time next year we will still be talking about the virus, but its going to be with us for all of 2020.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Mozi posted:

talking about stuff we can't share, one of my relatives has a friend who works at mckinsey and sent them a corona report from late feb but i don't want to get anyone in trouble by sharing it. there were a lot of graphs and stuff but the takeaway was there is a lot of uncertainty and markets are gonna go down if it's not contained and it will take a long time to recover economically

probably shouldn't even mention it really but there wasn't any great secret or anything

Is it this one? https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/risk/our-insights/covid-19-implications-for-business?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mozi posted:

ok i've been doing this for a while so a couple tips:
- you don't need to use a cup or a half cup or whatever, it's more about the proportions you're adding or removing so you could half that and it would still work basically just the same. i only keep a half cup of starter and only need a cup for a loaf of bread. once it's built up you can just have a little bit of starter and add however much flour you'll need and it'll be ready the next day
- you don't need to toss half every day necessarily. once it's going you can leave it in the fridge (sealed so it doesn't dry out) for up to a week. and if you have extra while you're getting it going, may i suggest:

pancakes
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter

mix starter, baking soda, salt and egg together. add butter to pan and heat it up on medium high. once it's melted pour it into the starter and mix it up. then apply pancake mix to heated pan to create delicious pancakes

Sourdough starter also makes really good muffins.

Crumpets too, though they can be a bit of a ballache to get right.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Really good article on why the CDC's first tests were faulty:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/

tldr: the reagents were contaminated and FDA rules initially prevented state and commercial labs from developing their own diagnostic tests

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

smoobles posted:

Not really. Testing for it in people who are sick is really only tracking some of the spread of the virus one to two weeks ago when they caught it. It’s also self selecting for people who are sick enough to see a doctor or have some other reason to suspect they have it.

The closest we can get to an understanding of the spread is from the systematic testing being done in China and Korea, although I guess even that won’t show up people who have contracted it but haven’t had it for long enough to contain enough of the virus to show up on a test.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So the plauge ship coming from Hawaii going to Mexico, but now rerouted to major urban area San Francisco,

Has just passed the last "offramp" for SF marine traffic, is actually currently still in international waters, headed north at about half speed

My wild rear end guess is that the plauge ship is headed towards Eureka, OR, as it's about 10% the population, fairly rural, and the next deep water port up the coast

Doesn't explain why they are doing half speed + in international waters still. Maybe ferrying Coronavirus test kits on and off the boat. There is a major coastguard station(s) here in the bay...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

popewiles posted:

Pence is being set up to be the fall guy so trump can replace him on the ticket with Nikki Haley.

Hmm yes the woman directly responsible for preventable deaths when she refused to expand Medicaid in South Carolina—despite her advisors’ recommendations that it would more than triple the state’s initial investment, create millions of new jobs and, y’know, make healthcare more accessible and affordable— because black president is bad and Boeing and firearms manufacturers pay her more.

A worthy successor.

gently caress Nikki Haley :patriot: forever and ever

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

smoobles posted:

You misheard, humans are actually shellfish

(most people are asymptomatic or have mild-enough symptoms that a doctor's visit would be a waste of time and resources, there are already not enough kits for suspected hospitalized cases adding a bunch of mild cases on top of that would be futile)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

no mine is from late feb

same basic deal i imagine

edit: no actually yeah it's linked there https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mc...ckinsey-vf.ashx

mine says 'confidential and proprietary' on it tho :p was probably a WIP or something

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 5, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm ready:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hadlock posted:

So the plauge ship coming from Hawaii going to Mexico, but now rerouted to major urban area San Francisco,

Has just passed the last "offramp" for SF marine traffic, is actually currently still in international waters, headed north at about half speed

My wild rear end guess is that the plauge ship is headed towards Eureka, OR, as it's about 10% the population, fairly rural, and the next deep water port up the coast

Doesn't explain why they are doing half speed + in international waters still. Maybe ferrying Coronavirus test kits on and off the boat. There is a major coastguard station(s) here in the bay...

Looks like it's pointed into the wind going about windspeed in order to stay stationary-ish.

They're just holding offshore waiting for the test results.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 5, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

trump's new VP will be trump jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hadlock posted:

The CG is bringing test kits to the boat by helicopter.