Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Ah, so the fact that it's ridiculously difficult to miss attacks with them is the actual idea.

I'd have just felt like a cheat if I said "well at least 21 attacks hit so I'm going to say all the models hit with all their attacks" without confirmation :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

gredgie posted:

Ah, so the fact that it's ridiculously difficult to miss attacks with them is the actual idea.

I'd have just felt like a cheat if I said "well at least 21 attacks hit so I'm going to say all the models hit with all their attacks" without confirmation :D.

No. They make 21d3 separate hit rolls.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
To be clear: each attacking model gets 2d3 attacks, except the endurant who gets 3d3. Thats between 21 and 63 attacks, average 42 for a unit of 10. They hit on whatever the weapon skill is. You probably are rerolling any that would miss thanks to zealot.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JackMann posted:

Omnissian Cadillacs? Is that the dunerider?

Yeah! They look like big golden age sedans :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mephiston posted:

I'll join in the "I hosed up painting white" plus "robes and primaris armour" party.

Something to try, my go to white as an inexperienced painter is spray can corax white.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Hybridized Weaponry custom sept trait, mixed with triple flamer crisis suits: effective, or just funny? Having a nine suit team with triple flamers on each means 27d6 bolter shots on deep strike, and again if they get charged lmao

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Just funny. Lots of bullets to kill lots of infantry is still done pretty efficiently with Burst Cannons, and then you don't have to use a Sept trait on still getting hard countered by Infiltrators.

Also

FFS get a less irritating gimmick.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I got an assassin cause I always thought they were cool and found out I can just bring them for saving 95 pts and 2 CP

I ran an execution force a few weeks ago and it was pretty drat fun. My Vindicare won the game with only a few models left by shooting his pistol in a combat

Eversor failed his 3D6 charge out of deep strike, Callidus failed her 5 inch charge T_T but fun was still had

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
A Wild List Appears!

Fiddled around in Battlescribe, partly based on the stuff I've already painted, but adding in some other things I didn't want to bring in to a 1000 point or less game, and then adding in some Martians based on JBP's suggestions. How does this look?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Crossposting since I'm looking for some cc if that's ok

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey, I haven't painted anything since 2014, so I picked up a little project to get back into it. I got some of those fancy new plague marines and wanted to use a Nausicaa style theme, like so-

The background will be something like, an old feral world in the middle of nowhere that was used as a Space Marine recruiting ground was invaded by a "great menace from the stars", and the local war ended with a Kryptmann style exterminatus on the world. Everything was dead and dust for millenia until a mysterious cosmic benefactor chanced upon it and took pity on the dead, reseeding the world with ever expanding fungal wastes and toxic forests. In the wake of the new growing ecology, fossils of man and monster alike from millennia past rise with warped forms and unknown purpose, shepherded by Plague Marines, of course. I plan on having insect/tyranid monsters resembling the giant cicadas and dragonflies from Nausicaa as demons, and WHFB skeletons with as plague zombies, representing the bones of the old feral culture rising as well. Hopefully with a fungal tinge to the bones and appropriate growths and corrosion going on so they don't look out of place. So I need a scheme

This is what I have so far. I started with Vulkan Green and worked up from there, thinking I had something good going on, but once the other colors started coming down I realized I may need to make that contrast harder. I used the colors I had on hand to do the Darren Latham corrosion effect and it worked well enough, although what I tried to do on the blades didn't really work out and I'm going to redo them. Same for the bolter; I had an idea but I don't think it really worked out. You can see that I tried to give him a Zaku style cyclops eye but it didn't quite come through either- I did a great deal of relearning about paint consistency and I think that contributed to my difficulty. Blue for the bits matched the reference picture but I'm not sure it was the right color choice for the model either.

Anyone have any suggestions while I'm working this out? Once i get the weapons figured out I need to do basing and I'm worried that it will need to be a brighter, pink/light blue sandy base like the opening of the movie, with cracked earth effects. Learning opportunities!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Crossposting since I'm looking for some cc if that's ok

your power armor green hue is too close to that of the verdegris so it makes the whole thing look sloppy imo

maybe go for a different weathering effect on the bronze bits if you like that particular shade for your armor, maybe some pitting effect with texture paint or some scorch marks instead of the verdegris

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 6, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

your power armor green hue is too close to that of the verdegris so it makes the whole thing look sloppy imo

maybe go for a different weathering effect on the bronze bits if you like that particular shade for your armor, maybe some pitting effect with texture paint or some scorch marks instead of the verdegris

Thanks. I knew it wasn't looking right once I hit the metal bits.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What models do people usually use for AM Kill Team guys? Specifically guardsmen with plasma guns and a sniper. Is there an easy conversion?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

fadam posted:

What models do people usually use for AM Kill Team guys? Specifically guardsmen with plasma guns and a sniper. Is there an easy conversion?

I went down this route last year.

Forgeworlds got Cadian plasma gunners mod kits en masse if you like the aesthetic: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Cadian-Hostile-Environment-Troops-Plasma-Squad

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

fadam posted:

Plasma gun I bought the space marine plasma guns and stuck them onto normal guardsmen.

You need the grenade launcher arms though to make it work, and as someone with over 80 guardsmen I had no problem finding them, but if you're starting from scratch you may need two boxes or to get creative.

For snipers, you can buy two cadian snipers as a separate pack.

I also used a marine plasma gun to get two scion plasma gunners (also using the grenade launcher arms from the Scions)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Plasma gun I bought the space marine plasma guns and stuck them onto normal guardsmen.

You need the grenade launcher arms though to make it work, and as someone with over 80 guardsmen I had no problem finding them, but if you're starting from scratch you may need two boxes or to get creative.

For snipers, you can buy two cadian snipers as a separate pack.

I also used a marine plasma gun to get two scion plasma gunners (also using the grenade launcher arms from the Scions)

Awesome, thanks! A bunch of engineers play at lunch so I thought I’d dig through what remains of my old army and see if I can throw a list together but the only parts I didn’t sell are random goons.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

fadam posted:

Awesome, thanks! A bunch of engineers play at lunch so I thought I’d dig through what remains of my old army and see if I can throw a list together but the only parts I didn’t sell are random goons.

I think this is fairly straightforward on terms of conversion but in case you need it:

https://youtu.be/FH0h-fA_EWE

I will caveat this with the fact Duncan makes this look like the easiest poo poo in the world but its actually quite hard because you need to get the arms just right, and because you need to use superglue there's now sliding poo poo around much after you've stuck in on the model.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

fadam posted:

I've converted guard characters with SM bolt guns in the past and the flamer arms work well. You keep the sling attached and glue it onto the top of whatever gun you want on there, cut out the SM hand and grip and splice on the flamer arm and use the left arm with the peg for extra support. Should work for any SM gun you want to use.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

fadam posted:

If you're not bound to GW minis I grabbed some sets from Victoria Miniatures. You get a choice of weapons for them, including a kind of special weapon variety pack.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

SpikeMcclane posted:

To be clear: each attacking model gets 2d3 attacks, except the endurant who gets 3d3. Thats between 21 and 63 attacks, average 42 for a unit of 10. They hit on whatever the weapon skill is. You probably are rerolling any that would miss thanks to zealot.

What? Why would "chance to hit" mean "extra attacks"? They would just say "extra attacks" in the rule if so.

Arco-flail: Make D3 hit rolls for each attack with this weapon instead of 1.

If the rule didn't exist, an Arco with 2 attacks would roll 2 hit dice, since each attack would have 1 chance to hit. This rule gives you up to 3 chances to hit with each attack, so up to 6 chances to hit with 2 attacks (plus Zealot re-rolls). If 4 dice hit, you've still only got 2 attacks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Each hit roll generates its own wound roll. D3 hit rolls = d3 attacks for every intent and purpose.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

gredgie posted:

What? Why would "chance to hit" mean "extra attacks"? They would just say "extra attacks" in the rule if so.

If the rule didn't exist, an Arco with 2 attacks would roll 2 hit dice, since each attack would have 1 chance to hit. This rule gives you up to 3 chances to hit with each attack, so up to 6 chances to hit with 2 attacks (plus Zealot re-rolls). If 4 dice hit, you've still only got 2 attacks.

No, it means you multiply the base attacks each model gets per the amount the weapon specifies as you attack with it.

Take the L.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 6, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

gredgie posted:

If all the hit rolls could only turn into 1 wound it would say so. Each hit roll turns into a separate wound roll, which turns into a separate armor save, which turns into separate damage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gredgie posted:

Mortifier flails work as extra hits according to the FAQ so Acros should be the same

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

gredgie posted:

read the core rules again and then you'll understand

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If you paid as much attention to your writing as you did to your painting Goonhammer would be a lot more readable

head58
Apr 1, 2013

goose willis posted:

If you paid as much attention to your writing as you did to your painting Goonhammer would be a lot more readable

Delete your account.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fadam posted:

I just glued a scope onto one of the lasguns and I call the guard holding it a sniper when I need a sniper, otherwise I just count him as a normal guardsman. I also used the grenade-launcher arm/space marine plasma gun trick because I'm drowning in SM bits. If you have any plasma guns without SM hands holding them then you can also just have the left arm cupping the plasma gun while the right arm is throwing a grenade or something.

Doing all of these techniques gave me 2 plasma guns, a grenade launcher, a flamer, and a sniper to go along with the 1 sergeant, vox operator, medic, and two regular plain rear end lasgunners all out of one box of Cadian infantry.

I probably could've converted the extra grenade launcher and flamer to more plasma guns but I just play fluffy open play nonesense, I don't give a poo poo about meta.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

goose willis posted:

If you need to heckle, make it funny.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Pretty confident Goonhammer is doing fine without trying to tap the 3rd grade reading level demographic.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

goose willis posted:

:irony:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

I just glued a scope onto one of the lasguns and I call the guard holding it a sniper when I need a sniper, otherwise I just count him as a normal guardsman. I also used the grenade-launcher arm/space marine plasma gun trick because I'm drowning in SM bits. If you have any plasma guns without SM hands holding them then you can also just have the left arm cupping the plasma gun while the right arm is throwing a grenade or something.

Doing all of these techniques gave me 2 plasma guns, a grenade launcher, a flamer, and a sniper to go along with the 1 sergeant, vox operator, medic, and two regular plain rear end lasgunners all out of one box of Cadian infantry.

I probably could've converted the extra grenade launcher and flamer to more plasma guns but I just play fluffy open play nonesense, I don't give a poo poo about meta.

Cool, thanks for tips guys.

Cthulu Carl posted:

If you're not bound to GW minis I grabbed some sets from Victoria Miniatures. You get a choice of weapons for them, including a kind of special weapon variety pack.

Neat, I’ll check this out too.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 6, 2020

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

head58 posted:

Delete your account.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

when you try and dunk someone it's generally considered good form to make your dunk comprehensible to everyone else

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goose willis posted:

Goose no chill-is in here

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

Pretty confident Goonhammer is doing fine without trying to tap the 3rd grade reading level demographic.

My second grader is just about done with the Warhammer Adventures books. Goonhammer seems like the logical place to point him at with respect to the hobby itself. The writing is (mostly) not above the level a third grader could understand. That's not an insult, it's a sign of good writing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

If you need to heckle, make it funny.
It was kinda funny though? :confused:

Y'all need to make your dogpiling less obvious.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Managed to not check this thread for 1200+ posts, and jumped back in today. what a mistake I've made.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

fadam posted:

Neat, I’ll check this out too.

IT looks like it's changed so you only get autorifles or lasrifles depending on the regiment type, but you can buy the weapons separately and also get the same special weapons pack

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/weapons

Also you can get a mix of men and women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Anyone ever try one of these out?: https://firmerterra.com/

I'm almost sold, but one review said not to lean too hard on the table. Wondering if anyone can speak to their sturdiness.