Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You don't have a questing set for doing major quests?

Quest gear only matters when manually questing, and speaking for myself I started adding one if any quest drop items because completely destroying my other productivity doesn't seem worth increasing my manual quest speed by 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shadowstar posted:

Quest gear only matters when manually questing, and speaking for myself I started adding one if any quest drop items because completely destroying my other productivity doesn't seem worth increasing my manual quest speed by 80%

Roughly doubling the speed of questing is worth it for me, I'd rather burn through the major quests quickly and then largely ignore the game for the rest of the day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a certain point where it stops being advantageous to put energy into something like the time machine?

I don't have a decent set of banks yet but when i put 11billion energy into increasing the speed, it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference compared to a 5 billion investment and it's not until about level 340,000 that my solid green bar starts to waver just a little.

If i've understood the bank perks right, eventually i get to a point where my time machine, advanced training etc simply don't decrease on each rebirth, so should i only be dumping in an amount of energy required to get me to a certain level that's useful for where i am until i get to that point?

I.e. if i'm aiming for 400,000 levels in machine speed, there's not point in putting in more than 1 billion because it'll reach that level in about the same time as 11 billion?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once you have a solid bar then putting more into it doesn't increase the speed any more, it just keeps it at full speed longer as it gets higher-levelled and starts slowing down.

So yes, gratuitously over-capping it is not worthwhile and you should spend that excess somewhere else. (If you've run out of "somewhere elses" to put it, you should be seriously considering doing the remaining tasks needed to push up to the next difficulty level).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If your bar is a completely solid color, that means it's going as fast as possible. Any extra energy in that is completely wasted.

As for the bank perks, that's how they would work in theory, but it never gets that high. If you buy all 5 of the different time machine perks, it's only going to work out to saving 50% of levels. There are also quirks that will get you even higher, but even then it never hits 100%.

By the end of normal difficulty, I think I was throwing something like 600 million energy into time machine and just leaving it there. Gave me a lot of levels and was honestly a pretty minuscule amount of my total energy.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I'm here in normal on boss 95 trying to get clockwork leveled and toughed up to defeat Jake so having a billion energy to toss around sounds silly.

But Jabor's answer doesn't make senses to me. I thought every level over 50 on time machine speed increases the speed multiplier by 1?

Edit, you're talking about the speed to level the machine speed, gotcha.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sibling of TB posted:

I'm here in normal on boss 95 trying to get clockwork leveled and toughed up to defeat Jake so having a billion energy to toss around sounds silly.

But Jabor's answer doesn't make senses to me. I thought every level over 50 on time machine speed increases the speed multiplier by 1?

Sorry - two different meanings of the word "speed".

Once you have a solid bar, putting more energy or magic in does not increase the rate at which you gain levels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Is there a certain point where it stops being advantageous to put energy into something like the time machine?

I don't have a decent set of banks yet but when i put 11billion energy into increasing the speed, it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference compared to a 5 billion investment and it's not until about level 340,000 that my solid green bar starts to waver just a little.

If i've understood the bank perks right, eventually i get to a point where my time machine, advanced training etc simply don't decrease on each rebirth, so should i only be dumping in an amount of energy required to get me to a certain level that's useful for where i am until i get to that point?

I.e. if i'm aiming for 400,000 levels in machine speed, there's not point in putting in more than 1 billion because it'll reach that level in about the same time as 11 billion?

there is a point where another energy sink opens up, but that's well into evil

Overpowering advanced training/time machine can be worth it in the sense that it increases how long it will stay at full bars, increasing them gets progressively more expensive, but this is more of a boon if you're not really aiming for a specific target or just letting it run because you're out of stuff to distribute to

Also banks will retain your progress, but you will lose some progress, only keeping up to 75% (50% from perks, 25% from quirks)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sibling of TB posted:

Edit, you're talking about the speed to level the machine speed, gotcha.

You can do it, I believe in you! I was there once. Now I'm farming Walderp idle.

Relatedly. My Pomegranates are almost at level 24. What should I do at that point is my next point. My Candy Cane of Destiny is only level 8, should I be pushing to the next adventure zone after Beards?

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
I’m so far past that everything is a blur but one thing I remember clearly is that CCoD is trash and instantly outclassed by the weapon from the next zone so yes do that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
yeah at this point you're really kneecapped by adventure stats and drop rate. you gotta really work on getting that up. remember you can have the various tiers of forest pendants and lootys equipped at the same time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The real reason the CCoD sucks is because I'm on track to finish the Chocolate set before this stupid thing.

Yes I'm aware there are no AP/XP benefits for maxxing it, but that ignores the biggest benefit of all: another red outline on my item list.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The real reason the CCoD sucks is because I'm on track to finish the Chocolate set before this stupid thing.

Yes I'm aware there are no AP/XP benefits for maxxing it, but that ignores the biggest benefit of all: another red outline on my item list.

look theres a number for maxxed items and it must go up

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MAXX THE NUMBERS
aight I'll see about working on the next zone.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This guy gets it.
This is the core of idle games. Making all the boxes look the same.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did also max out my CCoD, even though it took me until I hit Greasy Nerd in Evil to finish.

You gotta max everything, or what's even the point?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah i never bothered with gear sets either until i discovered the gear optimizer

Just input your gear and your priority and it will generate the best gear setup for that feature.
I have 6 different gear sets, Ygg, Hacks, Wishes, Ngu, Gold and max adv stats.

Ygg before eating fruit (makes a huge difference)
Gold at the start of a rebirth (makes a huge difference in the level of gold digger you can use)
Then whichever set that matches my goal for the rebirth

Yggdrisl set and Gold set are super useful. You equip the gold set for the first hour or so of your rebirth (auto-killing titans), then go to whatever your "best" set is. Yggdrisal is for the last minute before you rebirth.

You can get 500% seed gain and 63% Yggdrisal yield with you Yggdrisal set. It's absolutely worth it.
For gold you can get over a 1.5million% gold multiplier which is then multiplied by your Yggdrisal Fruit of Gold which allows you to get your digger levels pretty high.

So 3 loadouts is pretty low-effort and has a lot of benefit.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Ygg set you should absolutely have. Gold is good in theory but in practice I never remember to switch out of it. Same thing with manual major quests, although with the new conversion stuff maybe I should look into that again. But in reality nahhhhhhhhh

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yggdrisl set and Gold set are super useful. You equip the gold set for the first hour or so of your rebirth (auto-killing titans), then go to whatever your "best" set is. Yggdrisal is for the last minute before you rebirth.

You can get 500% seed gain and 63% Yggdrisal yield with you Yggdrisal set. It's absolutely worth it.
For gold you can get over a 1.5million% gold multiplier which is then multiplied by your Yggdrisal Fruit of Gold which allows you to get your digger levels pretty high.

So 3 loadouts is pretty low-effort and has a lot of benefit.

Am I right in thinking that the different levels of the same Titan all drop he same number of gold?

So if you have one zone above a Titan, a boss in that zone will always drop more gold then any level Titan below it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ScottyJSno posted:

Am I right in thinking that the different levels of the same Titan all drop he same number of gold?

So if you have one zone above a Titan, a boss in that zone will always drop more gold then any level Titan below it?

yes though the safer bet would be two zones above the Titan iirc, usually the zone above is commensurate, which doesnt really help

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I was thinking about the whole maxxing thing and I thought maybe a research lab would make for a decent addition. You have this spiffy machine which generates knowledge (so another list of perks), but you must first research items. The only way to research items is to place a maxxed item in the machine and wait for the research staff to do their job. Bonus points for items that didn't offer any bonus after maxxing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blattdorf posted:

I was thinking about the whole maxxing thing and I thought maybe a research lab would make for a decent addition. You have this spiffy machine which generates knowledge (so another list of perks), but you must first research items. The only way to research items is to place a maxxed item in the machine and wait for the research staff to do their job. Bonus points for items that didn't offer any bonus after maxxing.

There's too many flaws.

Daycare makes getting things to 100 easy, some things drop in insane amounts and would be easy to get to 100. The amount of stuff you could get to 100 in 24 hours by just killing titans alone with a max size inventory would be an issue. Okay let's say you balance this you now have a new hurdle.

You are flooding inventories constantly and requiring people to unfilter things to not feel like they are wasting time, it greatly encourages active play to the point the current player base would flip the gently caress out unless you made it only work once per item and if you do that you just made the item list with the bonuses there. And that's why there are set bonuses instead of that. It was what to do with old gear that was already 100.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

Daycare makes getting things to 100 easy

Daycare, in the current system? End-game titan drops and some of the later stuff (pendant, looty, etc) takes upwards of 2 months. Daycare falls off on the important stuff HARD later one, regardless of piled on Hacks and other speed bonuses.

I still love this game dearly and it's still the best idle game to me, but past a certain point (thinking back, idk... mid-way through Evil?) everything becomes a slog for very small %s that do eventually matter, but at a rate where a lot of the moment to moment excitement has dried up. 20 days for this next perk, 40 days for Daycare item to max out, 12ish days for a Quirk that helps with Perks but not exactly majorly, etc... The bumps in power that categorized pre-Evil progression, whether it was Challenges or new features or new zones, feel a lot more spaced out. Like a LOT a lot. Which, I mean, I know that's the nature of the beast, but it still bums me out a little.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Daycare, in the current system? End-game titan drops and some of the later stuff (pendant, looty, etc) takes upwards of 2 months. Daycare falls off on the important stuff HARD later one, regardless of piled on Hacks and other speed bonuses.

I still love this game dearly and it's still the best idle game to me, but past a certain point (thinking back, idk... mid-way through Evil?) everything becomes a slog for very small %s that do eventually matter, but at a rate where a lot of the moment to moment excitement has dried up. 20 days for this next perk, 40 days for Daycare item to max out, 12ish days for a Quirk that helps with Perks but not exactly majorly, etc... The bumps in power that categorized pre-Evil progression, whether it was Challenges or new features or new zones, feel a lot more spaced out. Like a LOT a lot. Which, I mean, I know that's the nature of the beast, but it still bums me out a little.

Right but in this hypothetical features you are getting currency for any item that is 100, you could very easily farm stuff from whatever. If you turn all of GRBs loot on overnight and have the space for it, it'll be 100 before you wake up. Because you can do that, you'd pretty much have to do that and it would probably make checking in every 15 minutes optimal.

I get 3-4 of the second highest pendant and looty to 100 every day, it's completely trivial.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
All the old players would be mad at missing out on research from titan quest items.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Jabor posted:

All the old players would be mad at missing out on research from titan quest items.

Just make it so you don't need to have the actual item as long as you've maxxed it once forever ago.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Just make it so you don't need to have the actual item as long as you've maxxed it once forever ago.

So then the feature already exist it's the item list with th boxes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In NGU is there any way to get to the bottom of Basic Training faster? I know Energy Power doesn't help and it's slowing me down having to wait for it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

In NGU is there any way to get to the bottom of Basic Training faster? I know Energy Power doesn't help and it's slowing me down having to wait for it.

yeah, though by the time you get to it, it's more useful for unlocking advanced training quicker

there's a perk, a quirk, and a wish that each will give you 1 extra bar fill so you can can get there twwice as fast, thrice as fast, and four times as fast (or roughly at 12:30, 8:20, or 6:15 minute marks of a run)

but by the time you can really afford the perk, you should be at the end of normal, and the quirk/wish are well into evil

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

there's something later that doubles the speed but it really only becomes available once you don't really need it anymore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

there's something later that doubles the speed but it really only becomes available once you don't really need it anymore.

You do need it, for adv training which is why it exists. It lets you go AFK much quicker in a run since you have to throw energy to BB adv training at some point since it becomes laughably cheap and a massive chunk of your stats.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The whole wait for adv training to unlock every single rebirth feels a bit outdated.

I can understand the restriction early on in progress but now that im well progressed in sadistic it feels like a chore to wait for adv training to unlock every single rebirth

Sadistic as a whole is pretty lackluster. There are no new features (i consider sad only perks/quirks restrictions not features) and no real rewards or fun stuff about sadistic.

Sadistic is easily the weakest part of what is otherwise the best idler.

IMO there should be some rewards in going to sadistic, players that have reached sadistic have been through the various restrictions and gate keeping mechanics plenty of times. Why not for example let us buy a perk or whatever that either unlocks adv training from the start of a rebirth or at least automatically assigns energy to them after 6:15

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I think I'm finally ready to close the books on NGU in the leadup to Exile v4 because what's on the horizon doesn't seem like enough to keep me interested for much longer. It it's been a fun ride and I can't wait to check out something's next game!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

Right but in this hypothetical features you are getting currency for any item that is 100, you could very easily farm stuff from whatever. If you turn all of GRBs loot on overnight and have the space for it, it'll be 100 before you wake up. Because you can do that, you'd pretty much have to do that and it would probably make checking in every 15 minutes optimal.

I get 3-4 of the second highest pendant and looty to 100 every day, it's completely trivial.

I was commenting more in general rather than specifically that suggestion you were replaying to, but:

You get 3-4 Ascended x6 & Galactic Heralds a day? How, farming Back To School? That's cool and all, but they're available way, WAY before then and you arguably need a completed pair to make (or at least help) the smooth ascension to proper Sadistic, so I'm not exactly going to count post-Sadistic farming. 3-4 of each would still be a full month's grind with daily check ins, so I'd rather just do Daycare. Either way, it's a LONG time for a marginal (but still useful) pair of accessories. My problem was a lot of the game feeling like that, at this point.

I'm also not exactly keen on leaving the game open for extended periods when I'm not around, it was a fun little thing to do over-night grinds in the past but I'm not going to want to do them as a matter of course. I'm also not going to run any scripts, because while I'm fine with other's doing so it's just not in the spirit of things for me.

Game good, late-game a bit grindy and not feeling that rewarding, is all I'm saying. :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

I was commenting more in general rather than specifically that suggestion you were replaying to, but:

You get 3-4 Ascended x6 & Galactic Heralds a day? How, farming Back To School? That's cool and all, but they're available way, WAY before then and you arguably need a completed pair to make (or at least help) the smooth ascension to proper Sadistic, so I'm not exactly going to count post-Sadistic farming. 3-4 of each would still be a full month's grind with daily check ins, so I'd rather just do Daycare. Either way, it's a LONG time for a marginal (but still useful) pair of accessories. My problem was a lot of the game feeling like that, at this point.

I'm also not exactly keen on leaving the game open for extended periods when I'm not around, it was a fun little thing to do over-night grinds in the past but I'm not going to want to do them as a matter of course. I'm also not going to run any scripts, because while I'm fine with other's doing so it's just not in the spirit of things for me.

Game good, late-game a bit grindy and not feeling that rewarding, is all I'm saying. :shrug:

I get them from titans overnight they drop at level 50

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

I get them from titans overnight they drop at level 50

From It Hungers v1? I'm really not going to count that since that's current top-tier Sadistic endgame, plus optimally requiring Sadistic Titan timer Challenge cleared, plus the whole "overnight for a whole month" aspect to boot. Like, the irony here is that this may very well be the easiest way to do this (although a full month of this is still a bit much, and not THAT much better than doing it via Daycare) but then it's like you're already at the current content cap and it'll only be relevant when the next zonal content drops assuming it doesn't drop alongside the next tier of amulet/looty. Daycare at least lets you access the accessories well before you're at It Hungers.

Both the It Hungers v1 (overnight(s)) grind and the Daycare grind are a bit much for what you get, is my point, anyway.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Just another post agreeing that Evil could stand to be overall faster now that more content has been added.

There are plenty of Evil challenges with no rewards. Without doubling down on hack speed, adventure stats, and XP%, maybe flat R3 on one of the easier challenges, PP/QP boosts (or even raw PP/QP), ygg seed (since ygg mayo cost is insane), maybe some kind of boost to beards?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Francis posted:

Just another post agreeing that Evil could stand to be overall faster now that more content has been added.

There are plenty of Evil challenges with no rewards. Without doubling down on hack speed, adventure stats, and XP%, maybe flat R3 on one of the easier challenges, PP/QP boosts (or even raw PP/QP), ygg seed (since ygg mayo cost is insane), maybe some kind of boost to beards?

Ygg mayo costs are fine, I've had them all maxed for weeks. There needs to be some use for my massive seed count.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

Ygg mayo costs are fine, I've had them all maxed for weeks. There needs to be some use for my massive seed count.

I'd suggest that maybe balancing around people who are always (and quickly return to) cutting-edge isn't the right way to do it, and instead things should be balanced around people hitting the content at pace. Not really commenting on the Ygg mayo thing because honestly I've already checked out of seeing the Ygg mayo fruits as truly worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So as someone who has been pretty far along 4g does a lot of balancing on old content. Sadistic is the new poo poo and eventually will have smoother progression but for now it's the endgame. I will put money on the game being extremely about when it's finished