Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The words "NFL Football '94" have been permanently imprinted in my memory.

e: Starring Joe Montana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Madden 64 was an amazing trainwreck that taught me that New England plays in Foxboro and always run pro formation up the gut.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

It dates the show in a good way.
Yeah. I've mentioned before that younger people watch it and are like "what da fuq is she always complaining about?!" Because her parents are loaded and she lives in a giant home.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt a part of Daria was because she fully understood her privlidge and was powerless to do anything about it.

And yea the DVDs missing the music really brings them down. It's like Mission Hill not having Blue Monday at Ron's party, it just does not have the same feeling.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

twistedmentat posted:

I always felt a part of Daria was because she fully understood her privlidge and was powerless to do anything about it.

And yea the DVDs missing the music really brings them down. It's like Mission Hill not having Blue Monday at Ron's party, it just does not have the same feeling.

I've heard the same thing affected Beevis and Butthead; how much did it change that show? (I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Neito posted:

I've heard the same thing affected Beevis and Butthead; how much did it change that show? (I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid)

I was exactly the age group for that show when it ran, and was never a huge fan. If my fuzzy faded memory serves correct, the show was always composed of one stupid rear end plot episode plot. Random pauses in the plot would drop those two on the couch riffing on music videos, which were the only things we found funny. The later DVD collections, without the rights to the music videos just dropped those couch moments entirely and you're left with the god awful beavis and butthead humor and none of the "OH CHECK IT OUT THOSE DUDES LIKE GWAR" moments or watching them make fun of bad hair metal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I never felt she fully understood it, no white suburban teenager really can without a degree of firsthand experience. I know I didn't. A big part of her insecurity in the series finale is that she didn't get into the Ivy League proxy her rich boyfriend goes to without him pulling strings, instead of the "nice" second-tier liberal arts school that most people would kill to get into, and she only feels better after her mother literally sits her down and says "You're going to a much better school than I went to, and I turned out ok."

Granted with hindsight that statement is Boomer af because Daria's gonna enter the workforce right before the 08 Recession, but at the time it made sense.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Not a 90’s thing, but WKRP in Cincinnati also suffers from not having the music licenses for home release. They used current music during its original air, but the home releases just have generic music and the show loses something because of it.

I think the original Wonder Years home videos also had the same issue, but I’m pretty sure that’s since been corrected in recent versions.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

It's like Mission Hill not having Blue Monday at Ron’s party Everybody Hurts in The Real World, it just does not have the same feeling.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
In the original arcade release of NBA Jam, the Bulls are hardcoded to run slower and miss more shots when they're playing against the Suns because the lead developer held a grudge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
All I want from MTV is full-season DVD/Blu-Ray sets of Celebrity Deathmatch :colbert:.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The only fight I remember liking was the Battle of the Clerical Error.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

empty baggie posted:

Not a 90’s thing, but WKRP in Cincinnati also suffers from not having the music licenses for home release. They used current music during its original air, but the home releases just have generic music and the show loses something because of it.

I think the original Wonder Years home videos also had the same issue, but I’m pretty sure that’s since been corrected in recent versions.
The wonder years has had that issue like 95% resolved. I picked up the whole series on DVD (because I'm fuckin olide old) last summer and I couldn't tell the difference TBH.

Neito posted:

Yeah, it sucks. I got the "complete mike judge works" or whatever the gently caress its called (also on dvd cause I'm old af) and there are no videos in the actual episodes, but there are some included with the collection.
Its not the same...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hatelull posted:

I was exactly the age group for that show when it ran, and was never a huge fan. If my fuzzy faded memory serves correct, the show was always composed of one stupid rear end plot episode plot. Random pauses in the plot would drop those two on the couch riffing on music videos, which were the only things we found funny. The later DVD collections, without the rights to the music videos just dropped those couch moments entirely and you're left with the god awful beavis and butthead humor and none of the "OH CHECK IT OUT THOSE DUDES LIKE GWAR" moments or watching them make fun of bad hair metal.

Beavis and Butthead does suffer from not having the music videos, but it seems like you just weren't the right kind of kid for it. My friends and I who adored it then, and still adore it now, were essentially Beavis and Butthead on some scale. We weren't that stupid, but we were those misfit kids that weren't the nerds, the jocks, the popular kids, etc. On top of that, it really was a great depiction of what life was like for some 13 - 15 year olds in the 90's before the internet took hold.

Recently, although it's sadly gone now, there was a YouTube channel with just about every episode of B&B, the episodes that were dropped from the DVD sets, for the most part had music integrated into them.

empty baggie posted:

I believe that the Shout Factory set has the original music. It's sad though because for a while WKRP was on MeTV or Antenna TV, and it wasn't using the original music.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some of the best jokes and character development moments were during the music videos. Another neat thing about the videos was that they just played whatever they found that they could build jokes around — some really out-there music that would never, under normal circumstances, get airtime on MTV got played on B&B.

Beavis attempting, off-screen, to make pancakes during a Wilco video is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I could watch this for hours and have.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknxpTAVFf972bWhF6h096OT3RmlNgQMx

Oftentimes my favorite videos are the ones that are just so bad that they stare at it in silence for 5-10 seconds and change the channel.

Cartoon Man has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Mar 6, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Those wanting to see restored versions of B&B should search the internet for ‘KingTurd Collection V2’.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cartoon Man posted:

I could watch this for hours and have.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknxpTAVFf972bWhF6h096OT3RmlNgQMx

Oftentimes my favorite videos are the ones that are just so bad that they stare at it in silence for 5-10 seconds and change the channel.

I forgot how many Grim Reaper videos they've watched

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

hatelull posted:

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

Beavis and Butthead was pretty much a perfect representation of growing up as a teenage boy in the 80's. No internet, just loads of free time and stupid ideas.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhotoKirk posted:

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

Beavis and Butthead was pretty much a perfect representation of growing up as a teenage boy in the 80's. No internet, just loads of free time and stupid ideas.

*nods in old*

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I used to record B&B all the time. Had a ton of VHS tapes. When I moved I threw them all out. Wish I hadn't, cause they had all them videos...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I even loved the revival season they did 5-6 years or so ago when they were making fun of Jersey Shore and poo poo. Why the hell hasn’t Netflix thrown a bunch money at Mike Judge to make more dammit??? Hell they could just make fun of whatever the latest viral YouTube videos are.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cartoon Man posted:

I even loved the revival season they did 5-6 years or so ago when they were making fun of Jersey Shore and poo poo.
I only saw the one where they got rabies by trying to become sexy Twilight werewolves... but they absolutely killed me when they had a S2 Jersey Shore clip where Deena pops in for the last few seconds and Beavis says "ehhhhh.. too much Deena"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IIRC White Zombie actually became more popular because they showed a couple of their videos on there and B&B were all "Whoa! Cool! Check it out"! and so on.
I have to admit, I was turned on to a few bands by seeing their videos on B&B as well. I even bought some albums, and didn't just download them from Napster in 2000 like everyone else did.

I still think winger sucks though.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Beavis and Butthead does suffer from not having the music videos, but it seems like you just weren't the right kind of kid for it.

Ha! Maybe I made the wrong assumption. I was in my late teens in '93 when it dropped. I have memories of doing stupid college stuff like taking stupid :catdrugs: and staying up way too late. Addled brains craved stimulation and it was always a downer when MTV decided to air B&B. The bits where they take the piss on videos was great. Everything else was just god awful for me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TITANKISSER69 posted:

So I just found out that archive.org has VHS rips. Here's that Matthew Perry/Jennifer Aniston Windows 95 video:

https://archive.org/details/Microsoft_Windows_95_Video_Guide_1995_Uncut_VHS_x264_Aw.mkv

The whole vault is linked here: https://archive.org/details/vhsvault

between the Linnea Quigley horror workout (yowza), every episode of MASH, and every episode of KaBlam, I'm going to be using this for a long time, thank you

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This part gets me every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8e8Gfu9uoU&t=57s

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How come Beavis never looked directly at the TV

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My guess is that it saved on animation costs. Butt-Head always looks forward, Beavis is always in profile. You can probably keep a bunch of similar templates and recycle/reuse over the course of the seasons?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I remember seeing their heads from the front/opposite sides etc, but yeah, probably just cheaper to do it like that. Beavis was ugly from the front anyway. Better to keep the profile shot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Tag your hand washing song.

I’m taking Amish Paradise by Weird Al.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Closer by Nine Inch Nails

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/RhdS4QD.mp4
:crossarms:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's a forgotten 90s movie that Amazon Prime video of all things reminded me of.

Mouse Hunt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNMWo7e4Fc

Has one of those great thundering orchestra soundtracks from the 90s. It's not in this trailer though :(

Listen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wJvLYiZv8A

Edit: Another amazing 90s movie soundtrack from the same year (1997) is Flubber - which was a re-imagining of The Absent-Minded Professor.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLohYzz4btpaQtZwDzDJeL7AGH1zqbgrht

Danny Elfman at his very best.

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Mar 9, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vanagoon posted:

Edit: Another amazing 90s movie soundtrack from the same year (1997) is Flubber - which was a re-imagining of The Absent-Minded Professor.

I wonder if the called it "Flubber" instead of "The Absent-Minded Professor" to avoid any sort of confusion with the recent remake of "The Nutty Professor"?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vanagoon posted:

Here's a forgotten 90s movie that Amazon Prime video of all things reminded me of.

Mouse Hunt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNMWo7e4Fc

Has one of those great thundering orchestra soundtracks from the 90s. It's not in this trailer though :(

Listen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wJvLYiZv8A

I'll Stan* for that movie, it's a solid Laurel & Hardy style slapstick romp. And yeah, classic soundtrack.

* and Ollie

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The whole point of Beavis and Butthead was the riffs on music videos. The side stories were just that.

That’s like watching MST3K without the movie and just the in-between skits.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Cartoon Man posted:

Tag your hand washing song.

I’m taking Amish Paradise by Weird Al.

candlebox - far behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014