Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is this a bitcoin metaphor?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bruce dashjr bcash

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

...! posted:

free? ross?
no, incarceration!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

EorayMel posted:

it's meta for deez nutz

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Swedish newspaper (article in English) does some investigative reporting from Ukrainian call center selling bitcoin investments. Nothing really new, but maybe articles like this at least can stop old people getting taken advantage of (it’s never going to stop true believers).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume true believers are somewhat knowledgeable and store their coins under bird baths, these folks mostly seem to take advantage of old people who know even less than true believers

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
atmos

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boxturret posted:

any excuse to post these

Ross looking like

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

EorayMel posted:

in 2020 thats more fun

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

dolby? :vince:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

or illegally gamble with the mafia in a disreputable establishment

that would be preferable, the mob is too reputable to use bitcoin. when the russian mafia first tried to use bitcoin wide scale to collect money from ransomware victims, bitcoins were so complicated and volatile and exchanges so dishonest and unreliable that it was a pr fiasco so damaging to their reputation that they actually had to set up technical support hotlines to give free decrypt keys to victims who were unable to pay ransoms in time because of bitcoin, and eventually adopted their own cryoptocurrency which is superior to bitcoin because it's a fiat currency backed by organized crime, kinda like real money.

if that parable doesn't answer your questions, then sure whatever straight to the mooon

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Syd Midnight posted:

that would be preferable, the mob is too reputable to use bitcoin. when the russian mafia first tried to use bitcoin wide scale to collect money from ransomware victims, bitcoins were so complicated and volatile and exchanges so dishonest and unreliable that it was a pr fiasco so damaging to their reputation that they actually had to set up technical support hotlines to give free decrypt keys to victims who were unable to pay ransoms in time because of bitcoin, and eventually adopted their own cryoptocurrency which is superior to bitcoin because it's a fiat currency backed by organized crime, kinda like real money.

if that parable doesn't answer your questions, then sure whatever straight to the mooon

:wrong:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Every so often I imagine some mafioso schmuk trying to coordinate a massive arms/drugs deal with bitcoin, fat fingering the address with a zero instead of the letter o and sending all the funds to some satoshi dice wallet from 2012 and then he got whacked in the next 24 hours

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

EorayMel posted:

Every so often I imagine some mafioso schmuk trying to coordinate a massive arms/drugs deal with bitcoin, fat fingering the address with a zero instead of the letter o and sending all the funds to some satoshi dice wallet from 2012 and then he got whacked in the next 24 hours

:wrong: bitcoin base58 addresses can only have the number 1 and the letter o, no letters l, I or O, or number 0.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

klafbang posted:

:wrong: bitcoin base58 addresses can only have the number 1 and the letter o, no letters l, I or O, or number 0.

Should've told that to Jimmy The Squealer earlier :clint:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
waiting for someone to hijack the "send butts to this qr code" poo poo. put a different sticker on top with a blackhole code or whatever

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

waiting for someone to hijack the "send butts to this qr code" poo poo. put a different sticker on top with a blackhole code or whatever

im pretty sure that happened the instant someone tried that

only, you know, taking the coins not destroying them

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

and eventually adopted their own cryoptocurrency which is superior to bitcoin because it's a fiat currency backed by organized crime, kinda like real money.
wait I don't remember this part. how does that work?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

wait I don't remember this part. how does that work?

it's called the you ess dollar

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know i always trust what famous people have to say to me on the internet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i know i always trust what famous people have to say to me on the internet

hi im elon musk creator of such death machines as the hyper loop and teslaX and i have an exiting new investment opportunity just for you!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

hi im elon musk creator of such death machines as the hyper loop and teslaX and i have an exiting new investment opportunity just for you!

i find this statement to be highly implausible and advise everyone not to accept this offer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

i find this statement to be highly implausible and advise everyone not to accept this offer

come on, i, elon musk, will personally match your investment. it's free money!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you can not lose!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

i find it very plausible elon musk would waste money on stupid technology but i am suspicious that he would do something helpful for others so its possible to say if this offer is good or not.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i wonder if any of those scams have started using deepfakes to have gates or musk shill for their company, is that what’s on that site or is it just real but out of context quotes

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

come on, i, elon musk, will personally match your investment. it's free money!

whoa ,what just happened here ?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

i wonder if any of those scams have started using deepfakes to have gates or musk shill for their company, is that what’s on that site or is it just real but out of context quotes

once in an interview bill gates said some vague non committal positiveish thing about blockchains and they ran with it

i don't know who the other guy is

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I typed in todaytrader.com in my url bar to see what famous people like Bill Gates and Richard Branson have to say and my browser immediately said it was a suspicious website and took me back one page.

:shrug:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I typed in todaytrader.com in my url bar to see what famous people like Bill Gates and Richard Branson have to say and my browser immediately said it was a suspicious website and took me back one page.

:shrug:

:wrong:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

no u

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
going to bed. will dream of bit coins tonihgt...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sham bam bamina! posted:

going to bed. will dream of bit coins tonihgt...

9,999 sheep... 10,000 ZzzzZzzZz

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

9,999 sheep... 10,000 sheep... 8,793 sheep... 1,054,668 sheep... 10 sheep.... STATISTS

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I just realised that if you put integrated circuits into statists, you get statistics

is doing math with computers actually an authoritarian conspiracy? and what does that leave bitcoin backed by? :ohdear:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Syd Midnight posted:

They still do the live support thing, there was a talk about it at the last CCC.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

9,999 sheep... 10,000 sheep... 8,793 sheep... 1,054,668 sheep... 10 sheep.... STATISTS

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Boxturret posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

there are never less than 10000 sheep.
which is why bitcoin will never reach zero.