Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

panic wave is definitly riding the jet stream towards the east coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILLZZLu2R0

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

if my fever gets worse i will. i'm just poor enough to get medicaid so i haven't had to worry about medical costs in a long time, so its thankfully not a hurdle to get over

i wonder if its any different from the flu test? i had the real flu in 2016 and they stick a rod up your nose into your loving sinus cavity to get a swab. its definitely one of the most unpleasant things ive ever experienced

...so far.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hummm, which north Seattle dispensary to stock up at

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i wonder if its any different from the flu test? i had the real flu in 2016 and they stick a rod up your nose into your loving sinus cavity to get a swab. its definitely one of the most unpleasant things ive ever experienced

sounds like you get the same fun, and those flu swabs certainly feel like they’re trying to use a q-tip to plumb the depths of your brain, via your nostril

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/us/coronavirus-recovery.amp.html

quote:

They worried about the tests required to prove that they were virus-free — the nasal swabs that made their eyes water and the throat swabs that made them gag.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

quote:

Officers performed CPR on the patient, who was unconscious and not breathing, but the patient did not survive, police said. Officers later learned that the patient had been on the cruise with two passengers suspected of having the virus.
:stonk:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A friend in San Francisco said that people evacuated the building next to his because it was discovered that someone there had two degrees of separation from someone who had covid. The workplace asked that person to work remotely, and that turned into panic and evacuations. People getting twitchy out there.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

hummm, which north Seattle dispensary to stock up at

I like herbnelements tbh, you can preorder online and everything

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Santelli is a real ghoul. His rant about not helping out "loser" mortgage holders during the housing crash is widely cited as the ur moment of the tea party.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

if my fever gets worse i will. i'm just poor enough to get medicaid so i haven't had to worry about medical costs in a long time, so its thankfully not a hurdle to get over

I'm 100% sure they're different. They probably have to pull blood.

I had to have flu tests done on me 3 times over a period of a week 3 weeks ago when I almost died of pnuemonia.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/MonicaLewinsky/status/1235256849974390784

How bad does it need to get before people are self-flagellating in the street like during the black plague?

it’s god finally swooping in to punish boomers for destroying the planet and being greedy fucks

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1235732878538899456?s=20

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao thats definitely a *curb theme* moment

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

lol oh my god

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

Hey so my mum has chronic fatigue and thinks it was after it was after a viral infection some yers back. It was hard to find concrete sources tying ME and such to a post viral thing, is it known/established that chronic fatigue can manifest after a bad viral infection? As you seem to be knowledgeable/qualified, are there any journal articles you know of that I could read about this?

I am a medical speech-pathologist working on med school prerequisites to change careers, I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm not an expert.

I know one of the requirements for social security disability for CFS is to have antibodies against Epstein-Barr virus. It's still not universally accepted that EBV is causal for CFS but there is a fair bit of evidence to support the link.

Here is a research article positing a link between EBV and ME/CFS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31040055/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Fun information I learned, the rapid flu test is borderline useless. I had the flu last year, they jammed me with the swab and the doctor came back and said my flu test was negative but they are wrong like half the time and she was 100% sure based on all my symptoms that I had the flu, gave me a script for tamiflu and told me not to go to work until my fever went away. Also offered to give me a note for work and when I said I didn't need one she gave me one anyways. Just a nice reminder that people are afraid to call in sick to work because they have the loving flu.

Did research, it's true, the rapid flu test is horribly inaccurate so I don't understand why they even bothered assaulting me with a swab.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
thx all

Doorknob Slobber posted:

they were saying three weeks from a regions first death to wuhan levels of infections. So two weeks now for the Seattle area.

The first detected/reported death in wuhan was 1/11 and the lockdowns started 1/23.

haha yikes

Atrocious Joe posted:

bill gates did a simulation of a coronavirus outbreak in 2019

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html

lmao this sounds shockingly on the nose. owns how this is going to start some hella conspiracies - #event201 on twitter is fun

Zotix posted:

https://bedford.io/blog/ncov-cryptic-transmission/

Basically it's been in Seattle for ~7 weeks. Seattle right now is roughly at where Wuhan was Jan 1st. If the U.S. doesn't take steps like the Chinese government you could see Seattle looking like Wuhan during lockdown mode ~2-3 weeks or so.

Also, the other areas like NY, and LA are likely 5-7 days behind that.

this is pretty cool, thanks! it's wild how well we can trace outbreaks with genetic stuff nowadays

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

love to announce myself as a super spreader

https://twitter.com/julialindau/status/1235714275752267776

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh my dad is a let people die over taking social distancing measures boomer and we live in WA and he's like "if we do anything the economy blah blah" gently caress watching mainstream media organizations poisons your loving mind.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
anyone have that picture of the nurses from China and Italy in head to toe coverings and the US nurses in scrubs holding sheets?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had insanely bad mono that resulted in me being hospitalized for a week due to my throat closing up and my organs starting to get all fucky.

Every other month or so I get waves of extreme exhaustion for a week at a time :(

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lmao

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Fun information I learned, the rapid flu test is borderline useless. I had the flu last year, they jammed me with the swab and the doctor came back and said my flu test was negative but they are wrong like half the time and she was 100% sure based on all my symptoms that I had the flu, gave me a script for tamiflu and told me not to go to work until my fever went away. Also offered to give me a note for work and when I said I didn't need one she gave me one anyways. Just a nice reminder that people are afraid to call in sick to work because they have the loving flu.

Did research, it's true, the rapid flu test is horribly inaccurate so I don't understand why they even bothered assaulting me with a swab.

I guess that's not super surprising to hear. When I went to the ER with my flu I had a 104 fever & the hooked me up to an IV and stuff, so I deeeeeeeefinitely needed it lmao

it was a really pleasant experience for a hospital overall though? after the test they hooked me up to an iv in a private room, i got to just lie down in a comfy bed and watch The Rock and like half an episode of Better Call Saul before checking out

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Word on the tech grapevine is that slack had an infected employee at their HQ office. Meanwhile a lot of companies well positioned to be almost 100% work from home still aren't bothering

LinkedIn/Microsoft have also asked all employees to wfh until April 1st

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 6, 2020

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Has anyone thought about what the Coronavirus Vaccine commercial Jingle will be? We'll be hearing it for fuckin years so it better be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YirNgAzXI Is a good start.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 6, 2020

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

love 2 be the guy who gives a plague victim mouth 2 mouth resuscitation

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Zotix posted:

Has anyone thought about what the Coronavirus Vaccine commercial Jingle will be? We'll be hearing it for fuckin years so it better be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhwyAsZAvo

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/yc/status/1235698921705476097

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fix posted:

A friend in San Francisco said that people evacuated the building next to his because it was discovered that someone there had two degrees of separation from someone who had covid. The workplace asked that person to work remotely, and that turned into panic and evacuations. People getting twitchy out there.

Went to cash a check at the bank, lady standing inside of the subway next door was wearing a real N95 mask waiting for someone who probably doesn't get paid sick days to make her sandwhich. This was in SF

Plague Ship has turned around, headed generally towards SF at about 16 knots (17 mph)... should be under the golden gate bridge shortly after sunset

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if i get a fever and poo poo im going to go to the hospital and just say i was in italy to get tested

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am a medical speech-pathologist working on med school prerequisites to change careers, I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm not an expert.

I know one of the requirements for social security disability for CFS is to have antibodies against Epstein-Barr virus. It's still not universally accepted that EBV is causal for CFS but there is a fair bit of evidence to support the link.

Here is a research article positing a link between EBV and ME/CFS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31040055/

Thanks, I appreciate it as well as your disclaimer, that shows you're being responsible. I'll take a look, much appreciated.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Went to cash a check at the bank, lady standing inside of the subway next door was wearing a real N95 mask waiting for someone who probably doesn't get paid sick days to make her sandwhich. This was in SF

is she going to disinfect her sub or something

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

our company 100% can work from home as everyone logs in to an RDS via an internet facing portal but we all still here sharing kitchen items and bathrooms and hot desks its fuckin wild.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Plague Ship has turned around, headed generally towards SF at about 16 knots (17 mph)... should be under the golden gate bridge shortly after sunset

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ma, I got the roni! I'm gonna take a drippini to see if I can get the fever down

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if i get a fever and poo poo im going to go to the hospital and just say i was in italy to get tested

i say this because i have a sudden onset terrible headache and sore throat

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

all the computer touchers at my company work remotely but the sales weasels and everyone else work at hq in nyc

which would be fine except they want to fly us all into hq for a day in two weeks

pretty sure that's not actually gonna end up happening lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

singapore proves that you really can trade a little freedom for security

Being immensely wealthy and concentrated in a tiny space also goes a long way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Is it unreal to anyone else that there is a loving plague boat 2, and the federal government learned nothing from the first one? Like get those loving people off the boat into separate quarantine zones on land.

Also lol at plague boat 3 in the Mediterranean, where everyone got off the fuckin boat and then had to get back on it.