Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sorry for the anime, but:

This came up in a discord I was in and people were saying that you're supposed to fire the enfield with your middle finger because it lets you cycle the bolt faster

Does anyone have any video (or even I guess just pictures) of how that looks like and works like IRL?

It's one way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EaiOLoCpPE&t=328s

This has someone doing it but he doesn't do it all the time, it's in some specific cases where he's up close and rattling off shots fast. You can see how he's really supporting the rifle with his other hand, and how for other shots with different balance and when he needs to reacquire the target between shots he uses a traditional grip. Index is him doing it.

Also god that grip's dainty for a pretty heavy gun, both strong and weak hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I had a question regarding night fighting in WWII. From reading Hastings it stood out that in 44-45 Europe the Germans were relieved that the Western Allies generally didn’t try anything at night, and same with the Americans and British in the Pacific and Burma.

I also remember reading that the Japanese navy was big on drilling on night fighting, although I’m not sure if either side intentionally did that with carrier operations (was that practical at all?)

Would it be accurate to say that German, Japanese, and Russian doctrine stressed night attacks but US and UK didn’t bother? Did that later change in the postwar?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do you mean "in the army?" Because the other two services were always doing stuff at night.

Also carrier ops in World War 2 required daylight.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do you mean "in the army?" Because the other two services were always doing stuff at night.

Yeah I meant in the army. Oh gotcha, didn’t know that about carrier operations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Chindit raids.

Quite a few of the raids and operations in Burma and North Africa were carried out at night.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It seems like just yesterday that I was shilling my tank book in this thread. Now I have another tank book to shill: https://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Tanks-Army-Peter-Samsonov/dp/1911658476/

This time I decided to look at the Sherman tank and its service in the Red Army. I mostly talk about the M4A2, but there are also details of the trials of two M4A4 tanks that were sent to the USSR as well. The first two chapters are the development of the M4A2 and its use by the British, but I might drop them (I haven't finished writing it yet).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I seem to recall reading that one of the USA's strategic advantages was that an American stage magician had figured out how to make fluorescent paint (which gathers nonvisible light and re-emits it in the visible spectrum), which they could use to perform landings in low-light (e.g. dusk) conditions. It's not night flying but it extended their operational time slightly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The US definitely did plenty of carrier night operations later in the war. avengers and later hellcats even had onboard radar installed.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Fleet Air Arm was, at the start of the war, the only carrier force capable of flying night-time strike operations. The interwar Royal Navy had put a lot of effort into practicing for night action. This was largely as a way to counteract the fact that the Japanese and US Navies had modernised their battlefleets in the 1920s, while the RN had been too strapped for cash to do so; American and Japanese ships could outrange British battleships in a day action, but in a night action, this advantage was moot. Carriers were a key part of this, attriting the enemy battleline and preventing it escaping, and so had to be capable of night operations.

This focus on night operations was part of the reason why the FAA's main strike aircraft seem underwhelming. The RN prioritised low-speed handling in its carrier aircraft, making it easier to land on a carrier at night. The biplane Swordfish and Albacore were great at this, while the massive Fairey-Youngman flaps of the Barracuda gave it similar handling qualities despite being a monoplane. However, these capabilities came at the expense of speed, making them easy targets for fighters, even for torpedo aircraft. The RN had only a few chances to demonstrate this capability. Taranto, where 21 aircraft sank three Italian battleships (though two would be salvaged and repaired), was probably the standout. The Bismarck chase was another good example, with aircraft from Ark Royal and Victorious making night attacks in atrocious weather. During the Japanese raid into the Indian Ocean in March-April 1942, Somerville was able to manoeuvre his fleet into position to attack the Japanese carrier fleet during the night of the 5th April, without being detected. Unfortunately, his scouting aircraft didn't get an accurate fix on the Japanese fleet, forcing him to cancel the strike and withdraw.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I just started Erik Larson's new book The Splendid and the Vile. Usually I like his writing and his attention to primary sources, but he's not a historian and it's about Churchill so I'm a little leery. Anything I should be on the look-out for? I'm literally like 20 pages in while I was eating lunch so I have no read on it yet.

Quoting myself as I've read more. Still no idea how accurate a total picture it is, but a lot of the primary source accounts are at least amusing. Apparently Churchill kept a Bren machine-gun in the trunk of his car, you know, just in case.

Also this book has made me have new and astonishing depths to my knowledge of Goering being an rear end in a top hat. Like I knew he was before, obviously, since he's loving Goering, but it keeps giving little asides that just make me think he's not just an immoral monster but also just a complete and utter douche-nozzle. From a general's accounting of meeting him : "sitting there dressed in the following way : a green silk shirt embroidered in gold, with gold thread running through it, and a large monocle. His hair had been dyed yellow, his eyebrows were penciled, his cheeks rouged -- he was wearing violet silk stockings and black patent leather pumps. He was sitting there looking like a jellyfish."

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading that one of the USA's strategic advantages was that an American stage magician had figured out how to make fluorescent paint (which gathers nonvisible light and re-emits it in the visible spectrum), which they could use to perform landings in low-light (e.g. dusk) conditions. It's not night flying but it extended their operational time slightly.
I thought they would just use radium paint for this purpose.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Jojo Rabbit spoiler:

The Georing meeting story makes the captains battle costume so much funnier

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

I thought they would just use radium paint for this purpose.

My impression is that radium paint is a bit expensive to be laying down on a carrier deck, even if you don't care about the whole radiation thing. They did use it for stuff like the dials on the aircraft cockpit instruments though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Did any radioactive materials get militarized before 1945?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chamale posted:

Do X-ray machines in military hospitals count?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chamale posted:

Other than the Bomb, the only thing would have been radium dials on night flying instruments or similar.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

Other than the Bomb, the only thing would have been radium dials on night flying instruments or similar.

How dare you not mention diver watches used by the Decima Flottiglia MAS

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Heyyyy it's radioactivity chat! I'm trying to avoid making GBS threads up the Cold War thread over in TFR with my "research", so I thought this might be more appropriate.

I gotta figure out how many people could survive the following scenario, and with what injuries:

You got a few hundred people packed into a cave in the Qandil Mountains (so we're talking limestone). It's a prepared shelter, but only against conventional bomb and gas attacks. Out of the blue, two four-kiloton nukes airburst about 500 feet above ground level. The cave mouth is at the hypocenter, but it's not aimed 'up' at the blast and there's some overhang.

I figure heat, radiation, and fallout won't be a problem: the rock will stop the heat and radiation, and the fireball isn't big enough to strike the ground directly and cause fallout. What I'm not sure about is blast overpressure and maybe mechanical shock in the earth. Could anybody make it through the blast, or would everyone's lungs be red tofu? Would the cave collapse?

Then you'd have to deal with the conflagration when all the toppled trees and brush caught fire. I figure that's probably survivable if the cave can get air from other entrances, so it's not all sucked up into the blaze. But maybe the cave would fill with CO or other combustion byproducts and kill everyone?

If anybody makes it out, what kind of injuries would you expect? Barotrauma, heat shock, inhalation of nasty poo poo, broken bones and bruises? At the very least I imagine everybody's deaf.

Let me know if this is totally the wrong place for this, maybe there's a more appropriate Nuclear Survival Thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I put on my robe and wizard hat while contemplating the 1,800 scenarios I have for a project I wish to do that involves the entirety of WW2's timeline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Heyyyy it's radioactivity chat! I'm trying to avoid making GBS threads up the Cold War thread over in TFR with my "research", so I thought this might be more appropriate.

I gotta figure out how many people could survive the following scenario, and with what injuries:

You got a few hundred people packed into a cave in the Qandil Mountains (so we're talking limestone). It's a prepared shelter, but only against conventional bomb and gas attacks. Out of the blue, two four-kiloton nukes airburst about 500 feet above ground level. The cave mouth is at the hypocenter, but it's not aimed 'up' at the blast and there's some overhang.

I figure heat, radiation, and fallout won't be a problem: the rock will stop the heat and radiation, and the fireball isn't big enough to strike the ground directly and cause fallout. What I'm not sure about is blast overpressure and maybe mechanical shock in the earth. Could anybody make it through the blast, or would everyone's lungs be red tofu? Would the cave collapse?

Then you'd have to deal with the conflagration when all the toppled trees and brush caught fire. I figure that's probably survivable if the cave can get air from other entrances, so it's not all sucked up into the blaze. But maybe the cave would fill with CO or other combustion byproducts and kill everyone?

If anybody makes it out, what kind of injuries would you expect? Barotrauma, heat shock, inhalation of nasty poo poo, broken bones and bruises? At the very least I imagine everybody's deaf.

Let me know if this is totally the wrong place for this, maybe there's a more appropriate Nuclear Survival Thread.
Based on your scenario and the average density of Qandil limestone I'd say you're looking at a 6.9% fatality rate and 42.0% general casualties including minor anal trauma. More seriously this sounds like a situation where probably you would have survivors, and likely almost all of them, but there would probably be some internal collapses and so forth. If they're really deep in the mountain and have ventilation from somewhere else, they'd probably not suffocate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My impression is that radium paint is a bit expensive to be laying down on a carrier deck, even if you don't care about the whole radiation thing. They did use it for stuff like the dials on the aircraft cockpit instruments though.

There's been more expensive solutions.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

It seems like just yesterday that I was shilling my tank book in this thread. Now I have another tank book to shill: https://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Tanks-Army-Peter-Samsonov/dp/1911658476/

This time I decided to look at the Sherman tank and its service in the Red Army. I mostly talk about the M4A2, but there are also details of the trials of two M4A4 tanks that were sent to the USSR as well. The first two chapters are the development of the M4A2 and its use by the British, but I might drop them (I haven't finished writing it yet).

Preordered it bud

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

glynnenstein posted:

It was, apparently, actually in manuals from at least 1944 on. Bloke on the Range made a video demonstrating the manual's instruction (at 2:40). It may specifically have been for CQB only applications, though. I' haven't dug into it much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxx3KyPbsnE

Wow, nice. I think I saw their first enfield video(s), but not the CQB one.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

general casualties including minor anal trauma.

Could you... Uhmmm... Expand on this tidbit?.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also this book has made me have new and astonishing depths to my knowledge of Goering being an rear end in a top hat. Like I knew he was before, obviously, since he's loving Goering, but it keeps giving little asides that just make me think he's not just an immoral monster but also just a complete and utter douche-nozzle. From a general's accounting of meeting him : "sitting there dressed in the following way : a green silk shirt embroidered in gold, with gold thread running through it, and a large monocle. His hair had been dyed yellow, his eyebrows were penciled, his cheeks rouged -- he was wearing violet silk stockings and black patent leather pumps. He was sitting there looking like a jellyfish."

Christ what an rear end in a top hat.
of all the loving people to bring back being a fop to go to war it was this dick

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oooh, Emchas! I should get that for BORAT VOICE MY FATHER-IN-LAW, he had been unaware that there were things.

Fun fact: a marriage in the Soviet Union was not legally binding unless the happy couple were photographed in front of a T-34 within 24 hours of the license being signed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Welp, here comes another turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyzxu26-Wqk

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jesus. I'm amazed they had the petrol to spare for that. And also that the updrafts didn't make landing completely infeasible.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Randomcheese3 posted:

The Fleet Air Arm was, at the start of the war, the only carrier force capable of flying night-time strike operations. The interwar Royal Navy had put a lot of effort into practicing for night action. This was largely as a way to counteract the fact that the Japanese and US Navies had modernised their battlefleets in the 1920s, while the RN had been too strapped for cash to do so; American and Japanese ships could outrange British battleships in a day action, but in a night action, this advantage was moot. Carriers were a key part of this, attriting the enemy battleline and preventing it escaping, and so had to be capable of night operations.

This focus on night operations was part of the reason why the FAA's main strike aircraft seem underwhelming. The RN prioritised low-speed handling in its carrier aircraft, making it easier to land on a carrier at night. The biplane Swordfish and Albacore were great at this, while the massive Fairey-Youngman flaps of the Barracuda gave it similar handling qualities despite being a monoplane. However, these capabilities came at the expense of speed, making them easy targets for fighters, even for torpedo aircraft. The RN had only a few chances to demonstrate this capability. Taranto, where 21 aircraft sank three Italian battleships (though two would be salvaged and repaired), was probably the standout. The Bismarck chase was another good example, with aircraft from Ark Royal and Victorious making night attacks in atrocious weather. During the Japanese raid into the Indian Ocean in March-April 1942, Somerville was able to manoeuvre his fleet into position to attack the Japanese carrier fleet during the night of the 5th April, without being detected. Unfortunately, his scouting aircraft didn't get an accurate fix on the Japanese fleet, forcing him to cancel the strike and withdraw.

Wow, did not know that. So how did the aircraft and carriers find each other in darkness?

bewbies posted:

The US definitely did plenty of carrier night operations later in the war. avengers and later hellcats even had onboard radar installed.

I knew about the famous battle (the Marinas?) where America launched aircraft at the limit of their range to smack a withdrawing IJN fleet, and they lit up their carriers so returning aircraft had a chance to land. So when did radar installs reach carrier service?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"Most likely a U-Boat"

stellar dialogue, seaman obvious.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow, did not know that. So how did the aircraft and carriers find each other in darkness?

Very carefully

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I knew about the famous battle (the Marinas?) where America launched aircraft at the limit of their range to smack a withdrawing IJN fleet, and they lit up their carriers so returning aircraft had a chance to land. So when did radar installs reach carrier service?

A mix of dead reckoning (which, holy hell would that be hard at night), ground control from the carrier, and what basically amounted to a VOR on the carrier. The VOR worked surprisingly well but it was still a serious challenge to use...you had to plot your course relative to the beacon and just make tiny adjustments as you closed the range.

Once you got close enough to actually see the ships there was usually a trail of luminescent stuff in the ocean to follow, plus nighttime lighting on the carrier. As you noted they could turn on the bright lights to help...at whatever battle that was they didn't just turn on the carriers' lights...they turned on the lights of the entire fleet.

One of the things I always found amusing is that they were pretty good at finding the fleet in any conditions, but they never really worked out how to figure out how to identify your specific carrier. So, lots and lots of planes would just land on whatever carrier they could. The idea of some pilot getting out of his cockpit and having to ask "what ship is this" makes me giggle. Then, presumably, they worked it all out in the morning, and guys flew back to their home ships sort of like the college walk of shame.

I think the first time they tried airborne radars on navy planes was in/around the Marshalls. Betty bombers were flying night missions with torpedoes every night and it was a huge pain in the rear end, so they tried putting up radar-equipped Avengers as a kind of super primitive AWACS for a flight of Hellcats. I think it sort of worked? Although ironically enough the Avenger was more lethal than the fighters were.

edit - one of those first radar interception missions was the end of the line for noted bad rear end Butch O'Hare, whose name is now synonymous with nonstop cursing about air travel.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 6, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A Destroyer captain in his 60s?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cessna posted:

A Destroyer captain in his 60s?

ONE LAST RIDE

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The night landing thing was the battle of the Philippine Sea. Despite all that poo poo 80 aircraft failed to return, with some entire elements ditching together with the idea that a group of men floating would be easier to find and rescue. The USN had search and rescue down pretty well by this point, and recovered about three quarters of the people who ditched over the next few days. Still, lovely way to go for the 20 they couldn't find.

As far as the landing on other carriers goes, sometimes they'd paint identifying info on the decks to help with that. I know that pre-war Enterprise had a big "EN" on the deck over the fantail, Saratoga had a big "SAR" etc. It's worth noting that at Philippine Sea they gave explicit permission for aircraft to land on whatever deck they could find, which was fairly unusual. Normally they wanted you to find your own ship. In normal operations this was done by knowing where in the fleet it was, being guided in, etc.

And yeah, landing on the wrong ship was enough to get you a royal raft of poo poo, both officially and with the other crew just loving with you. Crews would paint up the aircraft and send them home for the other guy's maintenance department to fix later. poo poo like this:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

The night landing thing was the battle of the Philippine Sea. Despite all that poo poo 80 aircraft failed to return, with some entire elements ditching together with the idea that a group of men floating would be easier to find and rescue. The USN had search and rescue down pretty well by this point, and recovered about three quarters of the people who ditched over the next few days. Still, lovely way to go for the 20 they couldn't find.

As far as the landing on other carriers goes, sometimes they'd paint identifying info on the decks to help with that. I know that pre-war Enterprise had a big "EN" on the deck over the fantail, Saratoga had a big "SAR" etc. It's worth noting that at Philippine Sea they gave explicit permission for aircraft to land on whatever deck they could find, which was fairly unusual. Normally they wanted you to find your own ship. In normal operations this was done by knowing where in the fleet it was, being guided in, etc.

And yeah, landing on the wrong ship was enough to get you a royal raft of poo poo, both officially and with the other crew just loving with you. Crews would paint up the aircraft and send them home for the other guy's maintenance department to fix later. poo poo like this:

haha

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Im teh Girl Scout Troop 401.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Next to writing things about dicks on things holes are the other thing.

LingcodKilla posted:

ONE LAST RIDE

*stations dude in the British side of the Irish sea on a mine sweeper*

Honestly though, that concept alone is a lot more appealing. And I love dumb OOT war movie entertainment. One of these days I need to show you guys my compilation book of eighties WW2 Commando comics.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Phone posting, but my personal favorite of those are the Royal Navy Phantoms that got subtlety repainted as “Colonial Navy”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fartknocker posted:

Phone posting, but my personal favorite of those are the Royal Navy Phantoms that got subtlety repainted as “Colonial Navy”.

IIRC it was an American phantom on a British carrier during a joint exercise.