Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Did Hugh really need to be killed? I don't understand why they did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are we sure that isn't the same cabin from generations? I swear the kitchen Riker cooked in was the same one Shatner was in.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

3d printers are rad af but it's a plastic box with a clear door and UL warning stickers on it

They don't even look mysterious or futuristic. An easy bake oven with some Borg greebles and K'NEX glued to it would be a better prop

Doors and warning stickers? Hell naw, miss me with that "safety" biz :v:

Kazy posted:

At least take the extruder out! Why leave it if it's not going to move or do anything other than make it very obviously a 3D printer?!

That's why it was so dumb, the rails for the print head are super obvious, it literally would have been less jarring if it was just a black 3d-printed box with a clear door.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not happy about that thing that happened. I am happy with those other things though. Overall I like the things and am happy about them.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I didn't read it as either of those - IMO she's taking advantage of Rios's suspicion of Raffi and will claim that Raffi poisoned her cake/milk

There should be a hypospray on the floor still, and it didn't look like Agnes bothered to wipe the replicator logs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

xerxus posted:

There should be a hypospray on the floor still, and it didn't look like Agnes bothered to wipe the replicator logs.

You're probably right, tbh

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I wonder if what I felt watching parts of that episode were what TOS fans felt during VI or Generations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd be okay with every episode being 30 minutes of Picard shooting the poo poo with an old cast member.

Am I wrong or did T'Jamie lose the signal after Allison Pill hypo'd herself?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'd be okay with every episode being 30 minutes of Picard shooting the poo poo with an old cast member.

:same:

quote:

Am I wrong or did T'Jamie lose the signal after Allison Pill hypo'd herself?

Yeah that’s what happened.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zoux posted:

Also when they handed Pill the, uh, pill and she instantly ate it I was fully expecting Oh to go, no you just hide it in your luggage Jesus Christ
That was really weird. It seemed like it must mean that she knew what it was and how it worked, but then Sunglasses had to tell her to chew it so obviously she didn't. I guess what that scene conveys is that this character will just put random stuff in her mouth for no reason.

Delthalaz posted:

I enjoyed every scene with Riker, Troi, and Picard on the planet. Actually the entire sequence on the planet was great imo. That poo poo is exactly what I want from ST: Picard and I could not care less if it’s fan service.
To me, it was exactly what I don't want from STP. There was no good reason for those characters to be in the show. They didn't do anything that could only be done by them. It was literally just there to go "look guys, it's those characters you like from the other thing!" And, at best, it just got us up to a point we should already have been at, like, three episodes ago.

zoux posted:

Did y'all read that scene as her trying to kill herself or just gently caress herself up enough that the tracker stopped working
It definitely seemed to me that she was doing it because she thought it was the quickest/only way to destroy the tracker, and she didn't care that it would also hurt/kill her. It doesn't make any sense at all as a way to frame Raffi.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think the best opening premise for Picard would have been an upcoming ceremony marking a full mapping of the galaxy and the old man coming to grips with the closing of the frontier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tiggum posted:

It definitely seemed to me that she was doing it because she thought it was the quickest/only way to destroy the tracker, and she didn't care that it would also hurt/kill her. It doesn't make any sense at all as a way to frame Raffi.

My problem is I always sneak-watch the episode the next day at work, so I can give like 85% attention while pausing frequently.

On a 2nd watch, yeah, the framing Raffi thing is dumb.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oops they made space ships obsolete again! Kurtzman just can't stop grabbing that hot iron.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm hoping against hope that the cube is going to absorb Hugh and either repair or upload him (and then he's the one that makes it go crazy)

I really want to see a cube go hostile where the literal walls turn against people and machine tentacles rip them up and stuff.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
“Cube” cube then.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It is an absolute shame that four of the first five episodes of Season 2 DIS were TNG/DS9 quality, except the last one had to completely wreck it at the end with the line "Nation building is never pretty".

The second episode was great in that the situation presented seemed ambiguous as to whether a lost human civilization meets the criteria of General Order 1. I sided with Captain Pike in that the reason behind it is likely because intervention can lead toward unforeseen consequences and disturbance of a balance, which doesn't change if the civilization isn't alien. On the other hand, the civilization is small enough that the Federation could devote experts full-time toward handling the consequences, whatever the case may be, not like worlds of billions which could be disrupted and then left behind.

Then they go and retcon the policy not intervening even in the Klingon Empire or Romulan Empire. It was already wrecked when Georgiou didn't stay in prison, but I could ignore it more easily then because it didn't intersect with the main storyline. I thought that after the Season 1 finale refuted the Season 1 premiere with Michael Burnham admitting she was wrong, Season 2 wouldn't be as bad as I'd heard, but on the other hand I had read enough to know this was coming.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

I'm familiar with you from Mr Robot final season and I'm enjoying this show but it must be torture for you! This post was also uncharacteristically brief and I'm guessing the filmography isn't anything to worth writing home about since you didn't mention any of it!
It's not torture because the show was never drop-dead amazing in the first place. It's actually entertaining because I go in wondering what dumb poo poo they'll do next! I could go on and on about how half the show is just faux drama trying to copy what much better television has done but there's no reason to bother. Most people already think Kurtzman is a hack and the show just continues to prove it, no need for me to argue against trusting the showrunner.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DaveKap posted:

It's not torture because the show was never drop-dead amazing in the first place. It's actually entertaining because I go in wondering what dumb poo poo they'll do next! I could go on and on about how half the show is just faux drama trying to copy what much better television has done but there's no reason to bother. Most people already think Kurtzman is a hack and the show just continues to prove it, no need for me to argue against trusting the showrunner.

But Michael Chabon is the showrunner

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But Michael Chabon is the showrunner
This is me flippantly throwing the word showrunner around as whatever it is Kurtzman does since everyone blames him anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had a thought...what if Commodore Cool implanted false memories into the Doctor?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Arglebargle III posted:

Oops they made space ships obsolete again! Kurtzman just can't stop grabbing that hot iron.

It's a callback to a Voyager episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Factors_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

There are a few points where the dialog doesn't really match up with what is being shown, like how Narek is supposed to be following at the edge of sensor range but the camera makes it look like he is tailgating the ship. And the previously mentioned dialog about him not noticing that the ship dropped out of warp.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 6, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Are we sure that isn't the same cabin from generations? I swear the kitchen Riker cooked in was the same one Shatner was in.
I don't know if it's the same one but when you consider Riker was always TNG's version of Kirk, it's sorta like "go figure he also wants to live that rustic life."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had a thought...what if Commodore Cool implanted false memories into the Doctor?
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I've heard that Picard is supposed to connect to Discovery in some way so it's more likely she has witnessed (or had memories passed down to her) what the Discovery AI ends up doing to the galaxy.

Before I heard about that I also thought maybe she was implanting false memories but it seemed "this show couldn't possibly do the whole implant memories thing twice could it?" when you consider Dahj/Soji memory implants.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2020

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I haven't seen Pill in anything other than Scott Pilgrim, but I had felt "she's better than this" from the start and I guess I feel vindicated now because she's done the best job. I appreciated her anxiety, it felt pretty good and believable and (most importantly) actually justified by events in this show. Her instantly eating something she wasn't told to eat was hilarious, in a strange dumb way, and her instant coercion by a stranger who she has no reason to believe was ineffectual but guess what makes sense? Murdering your romantic partner/mentor(??)/colleague really fucks you up! I thought "She oughtta commit suicide, that would actually be a thing a person would do in this hosed up scenario" and then she did! At least that was my interpretation at the time. I'm hoping the speculation in here isn't correct and this doesn't turn out to be her 4th dimensional chess move to shift blame on a thing she was so clearly exhibiting existential shame over.

The Troiker house was a waste of time and I didn't care for the kid, but at least it had well written/acted Troi. Far better than the majority of TNG, at the very least. Also Stewart only feels like he's playing Picard in these inconsequential asides of this show which continues to be annoying. Him reminiscing when he first enters the house with Deanna and Will was familiar and nice. Otherwise he's a dementia-addled tactless rear end in a top hat, spewing platitudes, ignoring his character and its development and motivations to weakly imply "things that are bad can change people". I'm not seeing Picard turning into some caricature of TNG Picard for or by the season's end as worthwhile, believable or meaningful, but we'll see.

DaveKap posted:

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I've heard that Picard is supposed to connect to Discovery in some way so it's more likely she has witnessed (or had memories passed down to her) what the Discovery AI ends up doing to the galaxy.

Huh. That sounds like some Kurtzman poo poo. I could see it. I don't think I'd care for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't understand what the Romulans are doing.

We know they have a tracker on the doctor. Yet they have Narek following the tracker to presumably intercept Picard and Soji on Nepenthe since they don't know where Picard went with her. OK, that's fair enough. But at the end of the last episode we know that the Romulans found out where the 'synth homeworld' was, but meanwhile 'Rizzo' is farting around on the Cube killing off xBs when I assume the main goal of the Zhat Vash was to go find this planet that they have not been able to find and wipe out the synths. Was it absolutely necessary for Narek to have to follow the tracker closely to keep tabs on them? It's just weird that Rizzo seems in no rush to run off and find the place they have been looking for the entire season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

They’re definitely different cabins.

Kirk’s

Riker’s

Kirk’s is also in a really mountainous area with tons of stone. Wherever they filmed the Riker cabin is more of a forested area.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Also, Will: You've black hair. Your wife has black hair. Your daughter has bright blonde hair. You need to ask some questions, mate.

That's not all that uncommon, we get sprouts of redheads in our family from non-redhead pairings. The real question would be this kid being a quarter betazoid.

Are most species cross-compatible, or is it mostly just the very human aliens who have like a face wrinkle or just mind-powers? Do we ever get to see like an andorian-ferengi baby or a denobulan-cardassian?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

We know they have a tracker on the doctor. Yet they have Narek following the tracker to presumably intercept Picard and Soji on Nepenthe since they don't know where Picard went with her. OK, that's fair enough. But at the end of the last episode we know that the Romulans found out where the 'synth homeworld' was, but meanwhile 'Rizzo' is farting around on the Cube killing off xBs when I assume the main goal of the Zhat Vash was to go find this planet that they have not been able to find and wipe out the synths. Was it absolutely necessary for Narek to have to follow the tracker closely to keep tabs on them? It's just weird that Rizzo seems in no rush to run off and find the place they have been looking for the entire season.

I thought that she was still searching Romulan google for the exact location of the Maddox's planet. Plenty of time to kill some XBs while that is running.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was probably my favorite episode of the series so far. I really liked the visit with the Troi-Rikers, and love Troi being the one to tell Picard to be Picard. Soji and Kestra scenes were really great, though I wish we had no seen that they were going to be in this episode, because it would have been a good mislead.

Aggie isn't a spy, she's a dork who builds robots. Asking her to murder and betray people isn't going to sit well with her and I was glad they showed that it was eating her the whole time.

I am looking forward to Assassian Creed Borg Cube.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not going anywhere.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Khanstant posted:

Are most species cross-compatible, or is it mostly just the very human aliens who have like a face wrinkle or just mind-powers? Do we ever get to see like an andorian-ferengi baby or a denobulan-cardassian?

Seska's baby in Voyager was a Cardassian-Kazon hybrid. I think that's the most exotic combination we've ever seen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was a little surprised that at no point in the full scene with Oh does she order Jurati to kill Maddox. Did she do that on her own?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay I did a search for the word monkey in the past 4 pages and saw nothing.

Thread... why does the warp engine of the main space ship make a monkey noise?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was a little surprised that at no point in the full scene with Oh does she order Jurati to kill Maddox. Did she do that on her own?

I think we're gonna get the full context to all those flashes in the mind meld next week, but yeah it seems like Jurati made the leap to killing Maddox all on her own without any prompting or coercion from Oh. So what she saw was enough for her to independently leap to "I have to kill the man I love at the first chance I get for whatever he did and/or whatever he will do or has/will facilitate" and then actually went through with it.

I mean, some people are predictable and will go in the direction you want them to with the right kind of push. Oh being an Intel chief probably knows that and probably had enough data on Jurati to know she'd be the perfect mark to off Maddox out of desperation and then probably take herself out too in grief and panic. The perfect closed circle.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Things are kind of unclear and I can't tell if they're plot holes or hints at a big twist. Whatever doomsday prophecy they're following implicates Soji/Dahj directly. They're very concerned with exterminating both of them to stop doomsday from happening, so that's why following them is so important. I guess the homeworld thing is because they think more Soji/Dahj robots can be made? Maddox tells Vjayzel that his lab was destroyed - but we know the Zhat Vash are looking for it? This gives me the idea that there's a bad guy faction that still hasn't been revealed yet that's actually behind everything. Disco had surprise antagonist reveals in the last half of both of its seasons, so it wouldn't be out of character for them to do that here too.

It's kind of worse than that. People have been saying how down everything seems to be with everyone and in this case the Sikarians, who are super nice and giving and happy, end up getting assimilated and their society destroyed. Looks like they should have just given Voyager that tech and maybe they wouldn't have ended up saving the the Borg from 8472!

Lister fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

Sometimes they talk about the tech and science required to do that and how hard it is to pull off, then sometimes it happens accidently like with Dukat and his cultist. In short Star Trek is a land of contrasts and every single episode is in a slightly different mirror universe thank you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Giggs posted:

I haven't seen Pill in anything other than Scott Pilgrim, but I had felt "she's better than this" from the start and I guess I feel vindicated now because she's done the best job. I appreciated her anxiety, it felt pretty good and believable and (most importantly) actually justified by events in this show. Her instantly eating something she wasn't told to eat was hilarious, in a strange dumb way, and her instant coercion by a stranger who she has no reason to believe was ineffectual but guess what makes sense? Murdering your romantic partner/mentor(??)/colleague really fucks you up! I thought "She oughtta commit suicide, that would actually be a thing a person would do in this hosed up scenario" and then she did! At least that was my interpretation at the time. I'm hoping the speculation in here isn't correct and this doesn't turn out to be her 4th dimensional chess move to shift blame on a thing she was so clearly exhibiting existential shame over.

Alison Pill tends to be the best part of pretty much anything she's in as an ensemble cast member. She plays Empress Matilda in Pillars of the Earth and manages to steal the show away from folks like Rufus Sewell, Eddie Redmayne, Donald Sutherland and even Ian loving McShane in the brief blips she's on screen for. She was also one of the waterwings that helped keep The Newsroom afloat as it sunk bow-first into Sorkindom. Her and Thomas Sadowski's characters were utterly toxic together but they had amazing chemistry with one another as actors to the point where you actively rooted for Don and Maggie to work poo poo out when the show was pulling the other direction.

tl;dr Alison Pill is really loving good and you should track down more stuff she's been in

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Revised theory about the terrible secret of space.

So they're just going with your bog standard "ai will destroy all life in the universe"... Again.

Will it be a direct tie in to Disco season 2? That'd be creatively bankrupt if so.

I'm expecting the Borg to be a herring in terms of relating to the terrible secret of space*, but will be a chance for the Federation to "get it right" this time when there's a new refugee crisis.

Picard will save the day and expose the section 31/whatever conspirators but there'll be the suggestion that some managed to elude detection. Admiral Hubris may offer Picard an olive branch to rejoin Starfleet but he'll decline because of lingering corruption (tying in to Disco season 3) and he warps off with his new "family".

Epilogue: they're on Vashti, Raffi is holding her granddaughter, Picard's two housekeepers are also there. He smiles and goes for a stroll through the modest vineyard he's planted. He kneels down to tend to a vine/wipe soil off a grave/tie his shoe/whatever... a shadow falls across him and a familiar voice says "The trial never ended... mon capitaine."

Credits.

Note: this is mostly a joke post, don't hold me to it, I have no idea what the show will actually do. Unless it's right of course in which case I will gladly accept the title of Emissary of the Prophets.

e: *revised revised theory about the terrible secret of space: Ok I forgot the bit where Raffi is trying to hack the tractor beam and complains about the Borg machine language and on the screen we see the repeated two rings motif from Soji's necklace, so the Borg probably aren't a red herring here then. Romulans still likely created them and now Maddox then recreated this.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 6, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Delthalaz posted:

IIRC every intelligent species in the universe was genetically engineered by the first intelligent species and deliberately designed for compatibility. They went out exploring and realised they were alone, so they set things in motion so all these specieses would arise and discover each other. According to one episode I half remember.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

IIRC every intelligent species in the universe was genetically engineered by the first intelligent species and deliberately designed for compatibility. They went out exploring and realised they were alone, so they set things in motion so all these specieses would arise and discover each other. According to one episode I half remember.

The only blips in that design have been folks like the Gorn and the Voth, especially the Voth who evolved from dinosaurs that managed to create FTL capable ships and escape Earth before the Cretaceous Extinction wiped Earth clean of all trace of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Tiggum posted:

They could not accept a future without tits

we should be grateful