Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, if all my chatter about Dynasty Warriors earlier interested you, they're all on sale on steam! Everyone should pick up 7 and/or 8 and enjoy them!
Okay, I'll bite: which one is the best introduction for someone who has roughly zero knowledge of the three kingdoms period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I bought this thing and have been playing for a little while. There seems to be a ton to explore here. I’ve seen some really cool rooms and I’m now totally lost. Luckily it has a list where you can save various spots to return to so you can always find your way back to a certain spot. Example, there was once place that my guy said might be accessible like a week from now, so I marked it to return back to. Also marked my “home.”

Found some new chalk colors to draw with, some new books that can be read in my home, and some other decorative stuff. Also minor game mechanics spoiler I guess: since I’ve found some things to decorate my room, time now moves faster in there

This seems neat if you like exploration and timed stuff and you don’t mind that the character moves around at a slow plod. It’s very relaxing. Although I’m going to have to start making a map, I think.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, I'll bite: which one is the best introduction for someone who has roughly zero knowledge of the three kingdoms period?

7. 7, imho, has the best story of the games. It's a little ahistorical in its presentation, but you get attached to the right characters and it's a complete story. 8, for some reason, decides to open with Lu Bu as the protagonist for some dumb reason, and then goes in weird directions with the stories.

It also helps that 7 is 14 dollars on steam right now and that includes all DLC. It's cheap, fun, and I got a good 44 hours out of it before moving on.

By contrast 8 has better/more involved gameplay, but the storytelling is weird and getting all the DLC is like a billion dollars. And 9 is an open world weirdo title that I would recommend only to people who already know the series, if I recommend it at all.

e: "a little ahistorical in its presentation" I say as if they aren't all ahistorical in their presentations, but I mean in the general strokes of where the story goes and who the characters are, compared to the novel. But they're close enough!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Griefor posted:

It used to be (Blizzard, anyway). Their games used to be the gold standard for online multiplayer. I'm kind of sad that we're never getting another (good) installment of Starcraft or Warcraft.

With how they're running now though, I'm more surprised that they're still hiring new people at all than about any specific person they hired.

He's (the Hunt Down the Freeman dev) on the Activision side, though, not the Blizzard side, working on COD mobile.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Begemot posted:

Also, the sequel to the best musou game (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3) is finally coming out later this month!

That's a weird way of spelling Sengoku Basara 3. Seriously, anybody who likes musou games, grab yourself Sengoku Basara and then be sad the Dynasty Warriors devs have been phoning it in for a decade.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

8, for some reason, decides to open with Lu Bu as the protagonist for some dumb reason, and then goes in weird directions with the stories.
This is because Steam has the "complete" game with the Xtreme Legends add-on (a thing they've been doing since Dynasty Warriors 3 on the PS2). Xtreme Legends has usually added more ahistorical stuff focusing on the less "protagonist" generals, alternate game modes, new difficulties, new music, new weapons, new costumes, new maps, and/or new characters.. 8's Xtreme Legends selling point was a new story campaign starring Lu Bu as protagonist. I guess they just really wanted players to see the work they put into it.

The base game's story mode was just the usual selection of Wu, Shu, Wei, and Jin, going through the normal beats of the Omega Force version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, with some "hypothetical conditions" that can open extra stages and/or affect future levels.

(For reference, 7's Xtreme Legends added Guo Jia, Wang Yi, Pang De, Nightmare Difficulty, Legend Mode, and Challenge Mode, among some other minor features.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hogama posted:

This is because Steam has the "complete" game with the Xtreme Legends add-on (a thing they've been doing since Dynasty Warriors 3 on the PS2). Xtreme Legends has usually added more ahistorical stuff focusing on the less "protagonist" generals, alternate game modes, new difficulties, new music, new weapons, new costumes, new maps, and/or new characters.. 8's Xtreme Legends selling point was a new story campaign starring Lu Bu as protagonist. I guess they just really wanted players to see the work they put into it.

The base game's story mode was just the usual selection of Wu, Shu, Wei, and Jin, going through the normal beats of the Omega Force version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, with some "hypothetical conditions" that can open extra stages and/or affect future levels.

(For reference, 7's Xtreme Legends added Guo Jia, Wang Yi, Pang De, Nightmare Difficulty, Legend Mode, and Challenge Mode, among some other minor features.)

Ahhh, that makes sense. Though I will argue that I don't care for the story beats they've been picking for the Wei/Shu/Wu storylines in 8, as I thought 7 did them better. I am looking forward to getting into the what-if scenarios, though!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoyed all of Black Mesa but I’m also one of those people who enjoys all of Half Life 2. Even that part you hate.

You liked the part where the highway was blocked with cars, and I forgot I had a gravity gun, and legged it for the rest of the game?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Krazyface posted:

You liked the part where the highway was blocked with cars, and I forgot I had a gravity gun, and legged it for the rest of the game?

I love that you did that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've actually been looking forward to this one, I love dumb games where you kind of do nothing.
it looks like a great couch game but there's no controller support indicated which kind of kills that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada: I did the first mission and now I'm deep in wikipedia learning about this era because there are so many names I don't know and there's an in-game encyclopedia but it definitely assumes you have some idea of what it's talking about.

Which is to say I'm loving it a LOT, this is wonderful I wish more games made me want to go learn stuff

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

DatonKallandor posted:

That's a weird way of spelling Sengoku Basara 3. Seriously, anybody who likes musou games, grab yourself Sengoku Basara and then be sad the Dynasty Warriors devs have been phoning it in for a decade.

You made me believe for a moment that it was on steam. :argh:

I had that game on the Wii and I've been dying to play it on a platform with some graphical muscle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cross-posting from the Stellaris thread:

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, so in classic good build-a-bundle style these can activate a larger bundle discount and effectively reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Great if you don't have the base game already, really lovely sale if you just need DLC or the season pass.

However, buried deep down in the store is Torment Numenara for like 80% off, so that's decent. I'd wait until the Humble Monthly drops tomorrow though before picking anything up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

However, buried deep down in the store is Torment Numenara for like 80% off, so that's decent. I'd wait until the Humble Monthly drops tomorrow though before picking anything up.

Seconding this. I keep looking at Elex as it's the cheapest I've ever seen it (combined with the humble discount) but if I buy it, guaranteed it'll be in the bundle tomorrow.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

More people should play Tyranny, especially for that price.

Here's timely supporting evidence from ropekid.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1235735729839325184

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding this. I keep looking at Elex as it's the cheapest I've ever seen it (combined with the humble discount) but if I buy it, guaranteed it'll be in the bundle tomorrow.
If it's not, absolutely pick it up. Exactly what you think it is (sci-fi Risen).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Elex feels way too niche and difficult to end up as bundle fodder (but it rules, get it if you like Eurojank at all)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So uh, thoughts on the Battletech game? I don't give a poo poo about whatever story they did, but there's a mode that's just running your mercs, right? Cause I need some big, stompy mech action in my life, and when I can drop the game to costing $10, its tempting.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thinking of hopping on the bundle but only a few things I want -- specifically Tyranny and the Mercenary edition of BTech.

If you already own the base BTech and, say, one DLC, can you activate the Mercenary edition or will something on Steam gum that up? I doubt it'd leave me a giftable copy of the base game but I'm wondering what the likely outcome would be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ShootaBoy posted:

So uh, thoughts on the Battletech game? I don't give a poo poo about whatever story they did, but there's a mode that's just running your mercs, right? Cause I need some big, stompy mech action in my life, and when I can drop the game to costing $10, its tempting.

Yeah, it's good. Basically Xcom with robots, but it's very well done.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Memnaelar posted:

If you already own the base BTech and, say, one DLC, can you activate the Mercenary edition or will something on Steam gum that up? I doubt it'd leave me a giftable copy of the base game but I'm wondering what the likely outcome would be.
You won't get a giftable copy, but it should work just fine. Every activation/purchase just adds a checkmark in the Db for those products, steam doesn't care if you have multiple checkmarks for the same product.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That is an amazing collection of games and if I didn't own all the ones from it I like then I'd be buying them now.

It's basically a best of the last 8 years of novel crpg games from the Kickstarter era. Shadowrun and Pillars of Eternity.

Pillars of Eternity is what you get from a bunch of modern devs trying to encapsulate what made the early 2000s crpgs some of the all time greats. A bit of a learning curve but the difficulty settings are super generous and there's tons of flexibility and you can retrain any character at any time just by finding an inn.

The sequel is more of the same with some core game mechanics changed, also a optional turn based mode that completely changes everything about how combat works that some people think is the greatest thing ever and some hate it killed their entire family.

The Joe Man posted:

Great if you don't have the base game already, really lovely sale if you just need DLC or the season pass.

That game is kind of the dog of the bunch. Torment Numenara has a lot of interesting and unique things going on but in general doesn't translate to a good game. I've repeated seen people point out that the game basically railroads you into a certain path despite all the possible choices.

Also, given that years ago it was hailed as a great game that shows how you don't need combat for an rpg and now Disco Elysium exist? Yeah Torment can go back to the $5 sale impulse purchase zone.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 6, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ShootaBoy posted:

I played it when it first came out so no idea what patches and DLC added since then.
It was pretty bad.
You only ever wanted to play the heaviest mechs you had and lacking weapon and pilot skill balance meant you ended up with a fairly homogenous company. There were some different loadouts you could use but not too many.
More problematic was the mission design. Some of the story missions were good but in most cases, especially the generic missions you do to grind, you'd just brick up, advance and focus down the enemy one by one. No thinking involved beyond target prioritization.
So overall the game was too easy and repetitive. Which should mean boring but the one thing I will say in the game's defense is that it got the feeling of stomping around in big rear end mechs absolutely right. I played the game for over 30 hours and while that was partially because some story missions are legit good I would not have put that time into the game if it didn't nail that feeling. The gameplay was bland but it took a while for the game to bore me despite that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't know what depresses me more: that Koei-Tecmo games are so expensive, that so many of the newer games seem to be in a poor state (reviews for them seem to tend to be in the negative), or that many of the older games are not in English.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

I played it when it first came out so no idea what patches and DLC added since then.
It was pretty bad.
You only ever wanted to play the heaviest mechs you had and lacking weapon and pilot skill balance meant you ended up with a fairly homogenous company. There were some different loadouts you could use but not too many.
More problematic was the mission design. Some of the story missions were good but in most cases, especially the generic missions you do to grind, you'd just brick up, advance and focus down the enemy one by one. No thinking involved beyond target prioritization.
So overall the game was too easy and repetitive. Which should mean boring but the one thing I will say in the game's defense is that it got the feeling of stomping around in big rear end mechs absolutely right. I played the game for over 30 hours and while that was partially because some story missions are legit good I would not have put that time into the game if it didn't nail that feeling. The gameplay was bland but it took a while for the game to bore me despite that.

For what it's worth, even as someone who doesn't really like the game over-all (my continuing self-realizing of "Wait maybe I don't like XCOM") this has almost all been solved by patches and DLC.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone play Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders when they were younger?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Kingdom_Under_Fire_The_Crusaders/

It just got ported to Steam and it's a good port.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ShootaBoy posted:

Be aware that it is PLAGUED by technical issues, moreso at launch but still has many to this day. As in literally unplayable, can't-launch-a-mission type of bugs. If you buy it, don't get it on humble like I did as you have no chance of a refund when it goes futz.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
How anime is Atelier Ryza? I got a deployment coming up in the near future and am looking for time burners. But not if they're pedobait/weebo-masturbatory.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

if the intro to your question about a game starts with

Gorilla Radio posted:

How anime is

you might as well skip it because it's probably too anime for you

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

if the intro to your question about a game starts with

you might as well skip it because it's probably too anime for you

this is good advice and has only ever failed for me with monster hunter world (which is too anime for me but good enough to ignore it)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Serephina posted:

Be aware that it is PLAGUED by technical issues, moreso at launch but still has many to this day. As in literally unplayable, can't-launch-a-mission type of bugs. If you buy it, don't get it on humble like I did as you have no chance of a refund when it goes futz.

Bit late for that, cause I was only getting because of that humble deal thing from last page. Though this is the first anyone has said about terrible bugs in the current game, and after 9 major patches, I think the odds are low enough to not matter. And even if it has something awful, it was only $10.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 6, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

How anime is Atelier Ryza? I got a deployment coming up in the near future and am looking for time burners. But not if they're pedobait/weebo-masturbatory.

I don't know what about the presentation and trailers could possibly make you think it's anything but super anime, but it's super anime. What little bit of outside influences that generally make it into your average JRPG has been wiped away in the Atelier games and replaced with even more anime just for that extra large hit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ShootaBoy posted:

Bit late for that, cause I was only getting because of that humble deal thing from last page. Though this is the first anyone has said about terrible bugs in the current game, and after 9 major patches, I think the odds are low enough to not matter. And even if it has something awful, it was only $10.

The game has some issues with saves - it never saves incrementally and if you don't manually clean them up every now and then, the game starts to slow down a bit.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Welp. Thanks. In that case, any suggestions for relatively unknown huge time sink games?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gorilla Radio posted:

There was a write-up/summary on the various Atelier games over in the RPG thread that got cross-posted into this thread a month or two back, and it piqued my interest in the games. I asked about it in that thread, and I picked up one of the games. I haven't had a chance to start it yet, but they were described pretty chill, cutesy RPGs with item crafting.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Azran posted:

The game has some issues with saves - it never saves incrementally and if you don't manually clean them up every now and then, the game starts to slow down a bit.
Noted.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Welp. Thanks. In that case, any suggestions for relatively unknown huge time sink games?
You looking for any kind of timesink in particular? Something easy peasy or with a bit of difficulty or challenge to it?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Gorilla Radio posted:

Space Rangers 2 is a really good time sink.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I kind of love that I find out the Steam library supports animated game artwork through my Yakuza games randomly updating with an associated news post telling me how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1214280/Walking_Simulator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq11CUm9JO8

:hmmyes: