Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Laserface posted:

Because it's totally unnecessary for a home user.

We use Cisco gear at most of our depots for wireless, which if I got for free I most certainly would not want in my fuckin house.

I wouldn't use half of it either, not least of which is due to how much electricity they consume.

However, an AP is pretty small and usually looks alright because it's designed to go in working areas around an office. Plus they'll support things like PoE so you don't have to worry about running electrical cable when you decide where to place it. If your switch doesn't support PoE you can get an injector fairly cheap too. This is especially important in places like Queensland as its illegal to run cables (yes even Ethernet) though walls yourself, so it opens up a lot more placement options you otherwise wouldn't have.

The hardware itself with a simple web interface like OpenWRT is a pretty solid and reliable thing that I'll happily take over the junk consumer stuff I've had in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’ve always had a mild dislike for the dinky little guitar solo in Johnny cashes version so it really stuck in my craw in walk the line when they were recording it in the studio and the guitarist came up with his solo part and everyone was like ‘yep that’s it that’s the one’ like wow really you sure you don’t want another take?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I also really like that Beatles album where George Martin just mashed up a bunch of studio takes of all their songs and did some goofy poo poo like throwing the taxman solo into ‘drive my car’ and stuff like that. Lotta really lame guitar solos from that era are considered iconic for poor reasons imo and the more spastic style of taxman or for another example, the kinks in general, was a superior style of guitar noodling.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s p much the same song but with a more ripping guitar solo, it’s real good I’ll find a YouTube link if you haven’t heard it

Yeah nah mate, I've heard it. If you're listening to Johnny Cash for the guitar solos you're doing it all cockeyed.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I think I need to stay off the internet until the covid-19 panic is over. The sheer level of stupid surrounding it is making me all stabby.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
page 69

niiice

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Nice

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020
[quote="Visible Stink" post="503047306"]
Lay the cable on the ground and then cover it up with a mound of dirt. Same effect as digging a trench really, but without the digging. Kind of like a reverse trench, if you will

And if you put some real thought into it can use inverted trench to divert rain water to race paddle-pop sticks in when the rains come.

They were the days

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

tardwrangler posted:

The satellite dishes look like rayguns.

Ive got a pot plant python.

cute!

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Lolie posted:

I think I need to stay off the internet until the covid-19 panic is over. The sheer level of stupid surrounding it is making me all stabby.

The shopping center isn't much better. People have pulled knives and police have been called to break up fights over toilet paper already.

I went down to my local shops and not a toilet roll to be found. You'd think covid-19 gives everyone the squirts or something.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Posting on page 69

Noice

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020

Severing posted:

The shopping center isn't much better. People have pulled knives and police have been called to break up fights over toilet paper already.

I went down to my local shops and not a toilet roll to be found. You'd think covid-19 gives everyone the squirts or something.

https://www.news.com.au/national/to...231518dbee87312

This should reassure them

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

johnny cash isn't about solos, its about the reliable unstoppable unflappable right hand chug

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also the new chats song is grouse, video clip is also grouse and I enjoyed the part where they were getting brought 4x heavy like it was a fine wine (it is the best beer in a red tin imvho)

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McSpergin posted:

I enjoyed the part where they were getting brought 4x heavy like it was a fine wine

Yeah same that was tops hey.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Meanwhile these idiots accidentally bought $3000 worth of toilet paper (allegedly just before the crisis) and are now probably millionaires selling it all off to boomers for triple the price.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I'm Gunna sell all my Tyranids and genestealer cult, 24 years worth

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I doubt the actual supply of toilet paper was ever low enough to even make a blip on the radar and the shortage is fueled by panic

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’m the nerds itt who don’t want ripping guitar solos in their blues songs

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

No see this is a type of music about playing what you feel inside and what I feel inside is a commercial for dishwashing powder in 1959

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

*me listening to a ripping Tim Buckley song* this is ok but have you considered replacing the best part of the song with the same four notes in the same order and rhythm for 20 seconds

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a solid right hand is all you need to express yourself in country music

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Caesar Saladin posted:

a solid right hand is all you need to express yourself in country music

First up; that sweet chug is the bass and yes it’s the driving backbone of country songs for a real guitar to rip over

Second; I’m always expressing myself with my right hand when I blast good tunes

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Most supermarket toilet paper does not even come from china. This whole thing makes me so mad

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

A guy at the food works was saying we made close to 100% of our toilet paper here and I dunno how accurate that is but the idea of it made me very proud to be part of a nation of lead deranged former criminals

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think its very funny. Like, its something you'd write in a movie or something, just people being completely irrational and stupid. And in the end, its all about wiping butts which is pretty good.

I walked past the shop and some posh lady scoffed loudly and was like "Hah! Lemmings!" at all the people with the TP.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think even for home-brand products they almost always prefer a domestic supplier. I can't think of any chinese-made toilet paper brands off the top of my head.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

I'm Gunna sell all my Tyranids and genestealer cult, 24 years worth

I sold 90% of my games workshop horde on facebook and made enough to fun my entire current computer. There where plenty of lowballs but for the most part I got what I asked for items. Best lowball was a bloke who told me my Empire army was only worth $200 when I wanted $600 for 2500 points worth. I ended up spliting it and made more than I was asking with the majority of the rank and file troops going for like $300 or so.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Stores only have enough space to maybe have 12-32 hours of toilet paper stock depending on a few factors. Theres no general reserve, apart from whatever is on sale that week (and maybe last week) theres none in storage at all. If theres a sudden unexpected spike in sales then theres going to be a 12-24 hour window for more to get delivered, and then maybe a few deliveries before the extra demand is properly compensated for.

On top of this every grocery manager in the country would have been personally blamed for this by their superiors and told to order 10 pallets of every kind of toilet paper to cover the demand. Unless someone intervenes quickly then the stores that come first in the picking order get all the toilet paper and when the distribution center runs out then the rest of the stores may get none.

This situation probably repeats itself at the distribution centre level and on and on and on. All when the actual supply of toilet paper was unaffected.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Dope wars clone where you’re a beleaguered supermarket manager trying to keep on top of the bizarre rush buying trends during disaster season

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I doubt any supermarkets will be having specials on TP for the next couple of weeks but once demand stabilises they're going to be stuck with excess stock, so that might be a good time to stock up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Stoner/doom/sludge and heavy psychedelic music all borrows heavily from blues and sometimes even country and if you like face melters over right hand chuggin it is the place to be.

Exhibit A: https://youtu.be/qMIS2BaDilY

The toilet paper thing will continue to be amusing when you consider there's gonna be a lot of people staring at piles of poo poo tickets taking up an inconvenient amount of space in their lovely single story masterton home in some hosed housing estate in western Sydney.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 6, 2020

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020
Appropriate facial expression

Poached Eggs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 6, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Posting on page 69

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/abewitchedangel...0b6f86de1252f0d

Good thing Costco sells things in bulk.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ATTN Isaac: https://www.reddit.com/r/canberra/comments/fdtnpc/police_ask_do_you_feel_safe_in_dickson/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Visible Stink posted:

A mate of mine has been getting into 40k lately after doing it as a teenager. He doesn’t play the game though, he just likes painting the little men to look as cool as possible to display on his nerd shelf, which I think is probably the most sane way to go about 40k if you’re going to do it.

Fwiw, Games Workshop has done a decent job lately of tightening up the ruleset to make the game actually fun, plus are working on being more inclusive and trying to cleanout the neckbeardy dregs that dominated the scene for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

NPR Journalizard posted:

Fwiw, Games Workshop has done a decent job lately of tightening up the ruleset to make the game actually fun, plus are working on being more inclusive and trying to cleanout the neckbeardy dregs that dominated the scene for ages.

Yeah, I went to a workshop GW ran at a pub up here a while back. Basically an intro painting course, they gave you a model and some paints and brushes and a painting guide to follow. It was actually really fun and the guys running it were really friendly and helpful. I actually considered picking it up just for the painting but edge highlighting drove me up the loving wall