Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

clearly happened after the leek, so it'll be easy enough to deal with. Maybe a few tears.

Thanks, I hate it!
Good form, well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Omi no Kami posted:

I liked how much of the new WtC was spent on goofy nonsense and slice of life stuff instead of oppressive levels of depression and angst. I'm amazed that the clone thingie went as well as it did; given how 90% of their friendship consists of brutal violence punctuated by failures to communicate, I figured that either the clone was lying about not merging with the original or that they'd switched places while Juniper's back was turned so Amaryllis could figure out what the heck his deal was. Both would've been awful cliches and (further) alienated Juniper, so it's prolly for the best that it was played straight.
What I didn't get was the clone talking about "keeping" her existence by choosing not to merge. Isn't that just...dying? Or is the implication that the next time Mary uses the same entad, it'll be the same clone-existence that pops out?

Jade Mage posted:

The cliffhanger for this WtC is also real good, because does that break the terms of the duel?
I mean isn't it the case that the duel was over at that point, since it was to the death?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cicero posted:

What I didn't get was the clone talking about "keeping" her existence by choosing not to merge. Isn't that just...dying? Or is the implication that the next time Mary uses the same entad, it'll be the same clone-existence that pops out?

I assumed it was just a peculiar turn of phrase, yeah- instead of getting reabsorbed she keeps her individuality and poofs.

I also forgot to mention, but holy crap did the mention of Fenn at the trial freak me out- I thought it was headed towards, like, "Were you aware that your dead ex-girlfriend was also a serial puppy-kicker with a litany of terrible acts under her belt?"

I'm also wondering if the story is starting to sneak up on an ending. I know they (fairly) recently chatted with the DM who said it was about half over, but Juniper noting that gaining Anglecynn's support and resources would let him skip a ton of quests and go straight to his dumb lack of a plan to kill Arthur-I-mean-fel-seed feels like the author realizing that he has, like, twenty narrative balls in the air, five of which still fit naturally in the story.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I love how Katalepsis manages to simultaneously be a super-duper messed-up supernatural horror story and also a wonderfully happy and upbeat comedy about the river in the desert that is Evelyn's Home For Thirsty Wizards.

I'll have you know I take this as the highest of compliments.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
WTC: It's possible I'm a chapterbatch behind (and I *definitely* missed the Valencia interlude), but the author's showing his hand a bit on why this is a 'rationalfic'-adjacent thing: it's examining, at least a bit, how various value systems and various warpings of value systems can do Bad Things.

and how nobody likes moral philosophers

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

I'll have you know I take this as the highest of compliments.

Then you're taking it in the way it's intended! :) I'm picturing the distant future, where a much older Heather and Raine are tucking their daughter in, revealing that the entire thing was a bedtime story. "The true horror story," they say, "Is the relationships everyone made along the way." (And then an enlightened kid goes "Huh, so that's why I have like 20 cool aunts.")

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
And look—it gave me this.”

She pointed at her bare stomach, proudly. It flexed and Garia glanced up at Numbtongue, perhaps hoping for an impression. The Hobgoblin stared blankly at Garia’s abdomen. Then he pulled up his shirt, and pointed.

“Fine. See?”

“Oh. Oh. Wow!”

Numbtongue had abs too.

:hmmyes:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Cicero posted:

I mean isn't it the case that [spoiler]the duel was over at that point, since it was to the death?

Yes definitely. However, it might be the Practical Guide talking, but I didn't expect the Lost-King's Court to play fair

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kingfisher Prince just shot WAY up in the coolness rankings in pracguide.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah Kingfisher II was an excellently crafted chapter.

Also some nice cribbing of Tolkien.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 3, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Goddamnit, pirateaba. "I'm gonna write daily short chapters, a tenth of my usual length! Oops."

Also the mages are cowards afraid of gay moonwalking.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

gnoll refugees getting killed by some villagers makes a bunch of nations who are enemies of the King of Destruction instead declare war on Lyfelt where they died, despite xenophobia against the gnolls even from the people in Reim. It's not believable, it's plot points about Flos warping the story.

They declared war on Belchan because they're trying to deny him XP by conquering it first.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

And look—it gave me this.”

She pointed at her bare stomach, proudly. It flexed and Garia glanced up at Numbtongue, perhaps hoping for an impression. The Hobgoblin stared blankly at Garia’s abdomen. Then he pulled up his shirt, and pointed.

“Fine. See?”

“Oh. Oh. Wow!”

Numbtongue had abs too.

:hmmyes:
Pirate also posted some, uh, interesting art based on this scene:

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
TWI Patreon: Wow I can’t believe Mrsha just discovered class consciousness.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I caught up with HWFWM, and man, does anyone else get the feeling that the author is the only person who likes Sophie as a character? Heck, in today's chapter he straight-up defends her externalizing her personal issues on Jason and physically beating him as healthy, 'cause Jason would fight back if he wanted to. Like, wtf, where did the goofy comedy story go?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So I caught up with HWFWM, and man, does anyone else get the feeling that the author is the only person who likes Sophie as a character? Heck, in today's chapter he straight-up defends her externalizing her personal issues on Jason and physically beating him as healthy, 'cause Jason would fight back if he wanted to. Like, wtf, where did the goofy comedy story go?

I felt like it was played for laughs and was kind of funny. On a non-funny level, I think she’s really worried that his respect act IS an act and she acts the way she does to get him to go “mask off” because then she would know for sure where she stands.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I can definitely see it being intended to come off as funny, but I dunno- their dynamic as a whole has really failed to engage me as the story went on. Maybe it's because the thing with Cassandra actually felt like a reasonable, low-key adult relationship, but in contrast their whole thing feels simultaneously forced and bizarrely anime-adjacent to me.

Maybe that's just me reading too much into it, though- cut the physical abuse angle and take out the romance, and I think she'd work perfectly fine as the one friend in his social circle who regularly calls the party's resident jerk on his BS. But between the amount of weight her story has received and the relatively shallow and lackluster utility it provides the rest of the story, the whole thing feels like a speedbump in what is otherwise a very decently executed goofy comedy. (Then again, why the heck am I even criticizing structure? HWFWM is very unapologetically being made up as it goes, live before a studio audience, so I guess I should be more amazed that the rest of it works as well as it does.)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Slight hwfwm patreon spoiler Clive calls her out on it in a later chapter

So either the author got wise to what he was doing or it was planned that way?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Well... First: I wouldn't really call HWFWM a 'goofy comedy story'. There is a lot of funny banter, but the theme of the dangers of becoming an rear end in a top hat is, y'know, in the title. Second, portrayal is not endorsement. He explains why the character does what does does and also calls it 'an unhealthy [expression of her feelings]'. Actions of a character can be believable and also not cool.

Personally, I like the character and also think the scene doesn't quite work. The author is trying to do a bit more than just quips and power fantasy and, this being a web serial with a frantic update schedule, doesn't always pull it off. But eh, whatever.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

"The author doesn't always pull it off, but whatever" is actually a pretty decent review of HWFWM. There's a lot to like about the story, but every so often (at least for me) it stumbles over something the Sophie thing where I can see it's not the author being a weirdo, it's just a story beat not quite landing or the tone not matching what's happening in the story. It's definitely not just a goofy comedy thingie, but I think that nearly all of the roughest sections have tried to involve drama or darker, serious-er nonsense, which the author seems to struggle writing cleanly more than the funny bits.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
A lot of people liked to compare it to an abusive girlfriend, but the unfortunate truth is that Jason's still in a position of absolute, terrifying power over her, and it's understandable that even as good as he's been to her, she still has completely understandable, if irrational, issues and resentments over it.

Plus, the norms for what's considered acceptable violence for 'roughhousing' among friends is probably completely different among adventurers who spar with each other constantly and also have obscene, superhuman resilience compared to even the toughest baseline human.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Affi posted:

Slight hwfwm patreon spoiler Clive calls her out on it in a later chapter

So either the author got wise to what he was doing or it was planned that way?

Some of both. He reposted a comment in RR from the patreon discussion. Unfortunately his comment turned out to be grosser than the raw text in my opinion.

HWFWM author posted:

terms like abuse have been used here and I don't think that is unwarranted.
On the issue of the violence she perpetrates, she isn’t really hurting Jason.
These aren’t genuine attacks ... and [they] have healing on hand.

Boiling out the weasel words that reads a heck of a lot like - it's okay to beat up your loved ones. Especially if you don't kill them and the doctor can fix them up afterwords.

Yes, nuance is important, but excusing domestic abuse, much less holding it up as something cool and good, is gross.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LLSix posted:

Some of both. He reposted a comment in RR from the patreon discussion. Unfortunately his comment turned out to be grosser than the raw text in my opinion.

Boiling out the weasel words that reads a heck of a lot like - it's okay to beat up your loved ones. Especially if you don't kill them and the doctor can fix them up afterwords.

Yes, nuance is important, but excusing domestic abuse, much less holding it up as something cool and good, is gross.

HWFWM: That's a lot of what bugged me with the most recent thing. Sophie and her general dynamic with Jason both feel really shallow to me relative to the amount of time and attention they've gotten, and most of the time it's not really a problem, just a noticeable weakness in the story. But stuff like yesterday's update really rubs me the wrong way. Like, it's a comedic web serial and I'm already verging on over-analyzing it, but sheesh- nothing about the way they were behaving last chapter is okay, and the author's justification combined with the story itself trying to play it for comedy comes off as super-gross.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

He is very obviously doing it as a 'she has a thing for Jason so she hits him'. You are all way over thinking it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, it's addressed further in the very next chapter, which is now out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
HWFWM's is pretty blatantly a fic by someone who invested time in basic psychology (maybe a educational hobby or a minor in college) and feels the need to justify it. I'm sure the author means for it to be semi-serious and reasonable but it's so far into making the message clear, usually in ridiculous ways that resolve themselves in an extremely contrived manner, that every time something like that comes up it's just cringy in execution.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

nessin posted:

HWFWM's is pretty blatantly a fic by someone who invested time in basic psychology (maybe a educational hobby or a minor in college) and feels the need to justify it.
This is a good way of putting it. Some of the social maneuvering that Jason does is like...okay I can see the principle of the thing, but it just feels bizarrely oversimplified in how it works in the story. A bit Mary Sue-ish.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TBH I find all the "Jason is totally a master manipulator" stuff a lot more cringe than any of this Sophiegate stuff.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

LLSix posted:

Two people in an adventuring party with superhuman strength who aren't even in a relationship aren't a 'couple' though. They spar against each other, too. A closer comparison is someone taking a cheap shot, in a dojo or gym, with training equipment on. She was out of line, but it wasn't 'domestic abuse'.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

LLSix posted:

That author quote bothered me more than I expected. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it came across as something I'd hear from someone trying to normalize abuse. It feels like a somewhat similar comparison to the recently revealed abuse against Johnny Depp by Amber Heard. Direct quote from a transcript from a conversation between them:

quote:

Depp went onto claim that she was punching him to which Heard replied: "Babe, you're not punched ... I don't know what the motion of my actual hand was, but you're fine. I did not hurt you, I did not punch you, I was hitting you."
https://twitter.com/i/status/1223371981296455680

I don't mean to dramatize this, it's just a story and they're definitely not directly comparable scenarios. Depp's situation is much more serious imo, Sophie and Jason aren't in a relationship so it's not really domestic abuse, etc. It just evokes a similar feeling to me. Sorry if pulling up the Depp abuse is crossing a line for a story like this. I do like the story otherwise, but that was kind of a gross comment to see from the author.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
They aren’t in a relationship so domestic abuse is just loving dumb to imply.

Also they probably never will be because there isn’t any solid indication of either of them being interested in the other. That’s Jason’s whole idea; he’s not saving here because he wants to gently caress her hes saving her because he’s in a position to do it.

It’s more like a slave hitting their master or a cheap shot in a dojo or friends roughhousing going too far. Or yeah it might even edge into actual assault.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
So as a newcomer to web series but with plenty of fantasy books under my belt, is HWFWM a good intro to the 'genre'?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stereo posted:

So as a newcomer to web series but with plenty of fantasy books under my belt, is HWFWM a good intro to the 'genre'?

I'd go with Practical Guide to Evil personally but you could do much worse than HWFWM. Its pretty solid especially for someone frantically placing rails in front of a moving train

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son

Jade Mage posted:

I'd go with Practical Guide to Evil personally but you could do much worse than HWFWM. Its pretty solid especially for someone frantically placing rails in front of a moving train

I'll read the first 5 chapters of both and then pick a first one! Thanks for the recommendation.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI Patreon: Ants Ants Revolution

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't remember how rough it was at the beginning, but at this point, Practical Guide is some of the finest fantasy around, period (other than the typos).

HWFWM is good, but it's not really on the same level.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

.Z. posted:

TWI Patreon: Ants Ants Revolution

The poison of freedom

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Katalepsis:

I love you Praem, so glad you're back.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cicero posted:

I don't remember how rough it was at the beginning, but at this point, Practical Guide is some of the finest fantasy around, period (other than the typos).

HWFWM is good, but it's not really on the same level.

I, usually, like HWFWM a lot, and I agree. Practical Guide to Evil is on another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

LLSix posted:

I, usually, like HWFWM a lot, and I agree. Practical Guide to Evil is on another level.

I mostly agree, but prac guide can rub some people the wrong way, so even if it's a better story in a more objective sense, it's a different KIND of story.

The only other serials I could really mostly recommend on a similar level are Mother of Learning, which is finished now, and maybe Super Minion, which is actually real interesting despite the generic name/terrible cover art but that updates so slowly (once a month, if that), that although it has a decent sized backlog it's still obvious that the story will take many years to finish at the current rate and as such is harder to recommend.