Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing Sunset Overdrive and I like how in game they play around with the idea that it is all a videogame. Like early on you meet a guy who pulls a gun on your character, you reply that you have guns too and it flashes the weapon wheel on screen and you both look at it for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rune Factory 4's romance system is the best in harvest moon like games, hell I'd say better then most games with a dating system that isn't a dedicated dating sim. In all these games hooking up was the end state. You throw books at someone all game and at the end of the game you select the one you want to date and its a binary yes/no depending on the amount of books you throw at them and you get an extra line of dialogue then the credits roll. But when you hook up in RF4 your partner has additional dialogue that goes across days (for me it was trying to figure out what couples do). You can take them out on dates, when they're following you NPCs you pass by will say something about the two of you together, when you talk to them they'll have lines about you hooking up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Rune Factory 4's romance system is the best in harvest moon like games, hell I'd say better then most games with a dating system that isn't a dedicated dating sim. In all these games hooking up was the end state. You throw books at someone all game and at the end of the game you select the one you want to date and its a binary yes/no depending on the amount of books you throw at them and you get an extra line of dialogue then the credits roll. But when you hook up in RF4 your partner has additional dialogue that goes across days (for me it was trying to figure out what couples do). You can take them out on dates, when they're following you NPCs you pass by will say something about the two of you together, when you talk to them they'll have lines about you hooking up.

That's runefactory in general. In 2 you even get to play as your offspring. Now if only they'd actually let you be gay (2 does by technicality).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Leal posted:

sounds cool but you gotta be straight so i'll pass

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is Rune Factory 4 on switch worth getting if I already own the 3DS version?

People have been talking it up in the thread and it sounds pretty fun, I never really got into it the first time around.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Just Offscreen posted:

This just immediately makes me want My Summer Car but with a rusty piece of poo poo mech set in the middle of bumfuck, Finland.

There needs to be a Simon Stålenhag game.

(I know there's going to be a tabletop thing, but I want a bideo jame)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Leal posted:

HM/SoS has slooooowly been getting better about it. The last two don't have quite the amount of dialogue as RF, but you do get some extra events after getting married. Overall, they've been increasing what people have to say in the games, and you can track down little stories between characters sometimes.

Spoilers for Trio of Towns, if anyone still cares about those with that one
Like if you continually talk to Yuzuki, you can get a chain of things he has to say where he was dealing with a supplier for his jewelry making. He didn't see anything wrong, because Yuzuki, but he was being ripped off hardcore. He was talking to Ludus, it comes up, and he says something about Ludus getting a real grim look on his face. Suddenly the supplier is giving him much better deals, I wonder what that's all about.

So, yeah, it's still nowhere near the crazy amount of talking RF NPCs get up to, and it's still very much "Shove farm products in their face until they love you", but they've been getting better.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon was a super duper neat game and a pretty daring departure from the formula, and the relationships in-game, if I recall correctly, are all entirely platonic since you are a robot learning what it means to be alive by growing things and getting to know human beings.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon was a super duper neat game and a pretty daring departure from the formula, and the relationships in-game, if I recall correctly, are all entirely platonic since you are a robot learning what it means to be alive by growing things and getting to know human beings.

I really wonder what it would be like if that was the one that had taken off and become its own series (it came out the same year as the first RF).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really do not like the way Sam Fisher controls like a tugboat in Splinter Cell Blacklist but I have to admire the sheer fluidity of his five hundred thousand movement animations. Was it a worthy tradeoff? No, it feels like his shoes are covered in butter. But boy is it smooth butter.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
One of the biggest flaws in Just Cause 2 was that you could get on the outside of vehicles, except they just immediately started slowing down or going out of control.

One of the best things in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is that when you get on top of a horse-drawn carriage to shoot people/leap to another carriage/just stand around admiring the view, the horse keeps on going following the road and you can steer them a bit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Danger - Octopus! posted:

One of the biggest flaws in Just Cause 2 was that you could get on the outside of vehicles, except they just immediately started slowing down or going out of control.

One of the best things in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is that when you get on top of a horse-drawn carriage to shoot people/leap to another carriage/just stand around admiring the view, the horse keeps on going following the road and you can steer them a bit

In JC3 and 4 they no longer slow down.
My friend and I had a competition to see who could travel the furthest by latching on to a civilian car, firing one bullet and then setting down the controller.

It can go for a LONG time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inzombiac posted:

In JC3 and 4 they no longer slow down.
My friend and I had a competition to see who could travel the furthest by latching on to a civilian car, firing one bullet and then setting down the controller.

It can go for a LONG time.

Haha I loved that in San Andreas, it's gotta be easy more fun and a million times less janky in those, though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Saints Rows start a car surfing minigame, when you do that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The second mission in the game has a fantastic sequence that's hardly even scripted - it's just you latching onto the vehicle with an NPC driver pathing through a flower field. They never repeat this :psyduck:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that you can change gender in Ring Fit whenever you feel like it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got as far as Pools of the Ancient Dead in Medievil. I like the running gag that the player is the only character who understands what Daniel is saying, no one else can understand him because they can't read his text box.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is Rune Factory 4 on switch worth getting if I already own the 3DS version?

People have been talking it up in the thread and it sounds pretty fun, I never really got into it the first time around.

Seems the only difference between the 2 versions is that the switch version removes randomness in starting arc 3 and adds a few new events with the romanceable NPCs

Another thing that I like in Rune Factory 4 is that the store upgrades its seeds when you ship higher quality ones. No losing progress.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

For me the best little thing in Rune Factory 4 is you carry up to nine of the same item, no not in your inventory, in you hands and you don't even have to press the button each time, you can just hold down the A button as you run over them.

Also you can throw them and it has the same effect as placing them into something or giving them to someone.
So no need to painstakingly put each vegetable into your inventory, then walk all the way over too shipping bin, just run through your farm holding A and you'll scoop up your veggies into a terrifyingly teetering tower of turnips which you can just toss all at once into the bin.

Gift giving works the same way, just make a bunch of food all at once then make a mad dash through town beaning people with plates of pickled turnips, they'll thank you for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

trine 4 not only lets you start a level from any of its checkpoints, but also shows you exactly how much of the collectible exp you've found out of what's hidden in each section. this is extremely good if you want to get everytrhing and this is the only trine game where I've bothered to collect everything because of it.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got as far as Pools of the Ancient Dead in Medievil. I like the running gag that the player is the only character who understands what Daniel is saying, no one else can understand him because they can't read his text box.

How do you decide what games you're gonna play? I see you posting about all these games I definitely remember, but just would not have popped into my consciousness at all unless I read about them here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always been interested in beating Medievil but my disk was too hosed up so the game would sometimes just refuse to load a level. I've started emulating it because my local game shop has Medievil 2 and I want to see how weird the bosses get, but also to get the hang of how the series plays. I like the sheer number of weapons you get in the game, just got the Magic Longbow after beating The Lake, which wasn't nearly as bad as Pools of the Ancient Dead because you only have to make a dangerous jump twice while the Pools are all platforming or tight places to land.

Generally, I hear about a game and get curious enough to look it up, or randomly searching around CEX I find a couple of games I've never heard of for 50p or so and have a lot of fun with them, or it's a game I remember having as a kid but never actually beat and want to.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Randomly walking through a CEX and grabbing something you've never heard of for a quid is a great way to go through your gaming life. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always been interested in beating Medievil but my disk was too hosed up so the game would sometimes just refuse to load a level. I've started emulating it because my local game shop has Medievil 2 and I want to see how weird the bosses get, but also to get the hang of how the series plays. I like the sheer number of weapons you get in the game, just got the Magic Longbow after beating The Lake, which wasn't nearly as bad as Pools of the Ancient Dead because you only have to make a dangerous jump twice while the Pools are all platforming or tight places to land.

Generally, I hear about a game and get curious enough to look it up, or randomly searching around CEX I find a couple of games I've never heard of for 50p or so and have a lot of fun with them, or it's a game I remember having as a kid but never actually beat and want to.

I miss CEX being in the states. There was one in the mall near me and they were way, way better than the GameStop a few shops over. I got my PS4 used from them for 150 or so.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Hell, thats how I got Bhunter and Starfighter 3000.

I think I may be the only one who got this games, ever.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You guys have got me wanting to play Medievil now,thank gently caress for emulators.
The sequel had Dan collecting arms and legs from monsters and making a frankenstein body with his skull on top for a boxing match,good games.

Teenaged me was deeply entertained by the way you had to collect the butt by defeating a farting butt monster that was riding around on a minecart.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Randomly walking through a CEX and grabbing something you've never heard of for a quid is a great way to go through your gaming life. :allears:

Can't beat rummaging through some 50p Xbox 360 games while a dodgy looking bloke trades in a Tesco bag full of iPhones to the girl with the nose piercing behind the counter.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If you ever see a copy of Hybrid Heaven, pick it up. I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Necrothatcher posted:

Can't beat rummaging through some 50p Xbox 360 games while a dodgy looking bloke trades in a Tesco bag full of iPhones to the girl with the nose piercing behind the counter.

Oh man every CEX is identical. Probably have the same smell too.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Leavemywife posted:

If you ever see a copy of Hybrid Heaven, pick it up. I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Man... that game was wild. I still think about it a fair bit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh poo poo, there's a Trine 4? And it's currently on sale too! :dance:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Man... that game was wild. I still think about it a fair bit

If I could fund a big budget remake of a game, that'd be near the top of the list. How many other games let you fight aliens and bio weapons with pro wrestling and street fighting moves?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well there’s Saints Row.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

If I could fund a big budget remake of a game, that'd be near the top of the list. How many other games let you fight aliens and bio weapons with pro wrestling and street fighting moves?

Shadow Hearts 2.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Reading about the demons and environments in Doom 2016 is really cool and lots if them are good for a chuckle

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

oldpainless posted:

Reading about the demons and environments in Doom 2016 is really cool and lots if them are good for a chuckle

More like old painelementalless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A couple professional martial artists try to recreate some of the special moves from Mortal Kombat 11. The fun little detail here is that Johnny Cage's moves are flashy and impractical, whereas Liu Kang's are more realistic and have some actual real-life analogues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw22PzFsD7w

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

A couple professional martial artists try to recreate some of the special moves from Mortal Kombat 11. The fun little detail here is that Johnny Cage's moves are flashy and impractical, whereas Liu Kang's are more realistic and have some actual real-life analogues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw22PzFsD7w

Was there some kind of bill signed that forces all youtubers to be maximally performativly wacky? Because the crap surrounding the (admittedly impressive) content is really painful to wade through.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Breetai posted:

Was there some kind of bill signed that forces all youtubers to be maximally performativly wacky? Because the crap surrounding the (admittedly impressive) content is really painful to wade through.

I want to know why all the videos on that channel have such a low quality and square aspect ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Assassin's Creed Revelations: There is a mission where Ezio pretends to be a musician and sing songs about his past adventures.