Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend a PC game for my 65 year old family member? She just started gaming recently. I'm pretty sure she has maxed out Stardew Valley. She's having a lot of fun in World of Warcraft as well (although running around in-doors will make her dizzy and she is a clicker).

Is there a simple version of things like City Skylines or Zoo Tycoon? Or another game similar to Stardew Valley? I think too many options in an building/resource game would be hard for her.

Steam has Doraemon Story of the Seasons which is by Harvest Moon guys and therefore pretty much Stardew Valley.

Pretty pricey though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/965230/DORAEMON__STORY_OF_SEASONS/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBMQtMoNF6Y&t=32s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Joke zombie game suggestion - the Blood Bowls have teams with zombies, and you can raise an opponent's player as a zombie if they died and you're playing one of those teams. If you don't care about your player naming scheme you can keep it too.

Less jokey suggestion but you can't force 100% zombie appearance - Strider 2014 has an area with zombified enemies.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood has zombies.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
For the guy looking for some games, Survival Crisis Z is a fun little open world game from like 15 years ago created by Ska Studios. I've always really rooted for that studio and it's one of my favorite fuckaround games. It's similar to Project Zomboid in its look and perspective, but is a lot less simulation-y and doesn't have the same depth. Still, it's free, and is an interesting look into what one guy made in his spare time over a decade ago. I don't know if it's aged well but I really loved it back in the day.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Riatsala posted:

I hate to be the stoner but zoning out on edibles and playing games is one of my favorite ways to chill, but I'm looking for more games.

I love bright, colorful low stakes management and exploration games, most recently Viva Pinata, Stardew Valley and DragonQuest Builders 2. Something uncomplicated and light-hearted, with an objective but not a lot of stress.

I also really like shooters, both endless skirmish like battlefield or ravenfield, or the CoD series campaigns, stupid as they can get. Love Far Cry generally but there's a lot of really dumb cutscenes involved, it seems like.

Puzzles are right out. I'm already get my balled fist caught in jars trying to extract the delicious fruit within, so spatial reasoning is not my strong suit.

If you've got favorite stoner games, I want to hear about them.

Hohokum is a very relaxing game where you play a flying rainbow snake and visit different worlds. You can interact with things only by flying over them. It is kind of technically a puzzle game I guess but the "puzzles" are all kind of just you interacting with stuff to see what it does, and iirc it's not very challenging so much as mysterious. The soundtrack is a certified bop and the art style is very colorful. It's hard to describe so I'd check out a gameplay trailer or something. Very low stakes, very low stress.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Stefan Prodan posted:

is there anything like this that has controller support, my wife was real interested in it but she can't play anything with mouse or it gives her arm pain

played all the usual relaxing stuff like portia, stardew valley, etc already

anything similar to viva pinata or this would be cool probably

Hmmmmmmm I have a controller but almost never use it so I can't think of which games support it off the top of my head... I know Euro Truck is my most chill "stream to the couch and zone out" game, but building a trucking empire is not quite the same as building a world, lol.

Does Forager have controller support?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

is there anything like this that has controller support, my wife was real interested in it but she can't play anything with mouse or it gives her arm pain

played all the usual relaxing stuff like portia, stardew valley, etc already

anything similar to viva pinata or this would be cool probably

There's a game that's currently in early access called Littlewood that has you rebuild a town after some dark lord was defeated. It's getting good reviews currently and is nearing release (it's at version 0.9 currently), so might be worth keeping track of to see if the good impressions stay after it's officially out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riatsala posted:

I hate to be the stoner but zoning out on edibles and playing games is one of my favorite ways to chill, but I'm looking for more games.

I love bright, colorful low stakes management and exploration games, most recently Viva Pinata, Stardew Valley and DragonQuest Builders 2. Something uncomplicated and light-hearted, with an objective but not a lot of stress.

I also really like shooters, both endless skirmish like battlefield or ravenfield, or the CoD series campaigns, stupid as they can get. Love Far Cry generally but there's a lot of really dumb cutscenes involved, it seems like.

Puzzles are right out. I'm already get my balled fist caught in jars trying to extract the delicious fruit within, so spatial reasoning is not my strong suit.

I have a similar request, but for games that are available on PC. Life sucks right now and I'd like something to keep me occupied a bit during my free time. Preferably something engaging and fun, so I can keep the existential dread at bay for a while, but accessible enough not to be frustrating or stressful.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My wife has shown a sudden interest in trying a few games so I'm trying to come up with a list of cooperative campaigns and single player titles she might want to try, so this is a two parter:

A) What are some of your go-to cooperative campaigns (including older stuff like the TMNT arcade or Kirby Super Star)? I've got things like Borderlands, Divinity OS, Diablo-likes jotted down.
B) What are some of your favorite games that really get across the flavor of what games can offer?

She really enjoys Overwatch (which she's played for a few years now) and played/enjoyed Portal 1 last week. Otherwise her only game experience is The Sims 2, Wrath of the Lich King, and anything she happens to see me play. I think she's very open to genres and play-styles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Magicka seems like a good option.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is Portal 2 too obvious of a suggestion? It's got co-op and everything.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

A) What are some of your go-to cooperative campaigns (including older stuff like the TMNT arcade or Kirby Super Star)? I've got things like Borderlands, Divinity OS, Diablo-likes jotted down.

Goof Troop for snes is tight. It can be completed in one sitting but atleast it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Full metal furies is a great co-op, though it trends towards being a little more difficult than it's peers, if that matters

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Magicka seems like a good option.
yeah I had a good time playing magicka with bae a few years ago. Trine and Trine 2 as well

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

My wife has shown a sudden interest in trying a few games so I'm trying to come up with a list of cooperative campaigns and single player titles she might want to try, so this is a two parter:

B) What are some of your favorite games that really get across the flavor of what games can offer?

She really enjoys Overwatch (which she's played for a few years now) and played/enjoyed Portal 1 last week. Otherwise her only game experience is The Sims 2, Wrath of the Lich King, and anything she happens to see me play. I think she's very open to genres and play-styles.

If she enjoyed Portal 1, then you gotta play Portal 2 and then sabotage eachother on co-op.

Crypt of the Necrodancer, Brothers, the Lego games, Snipperclips, and A Way Out are all good co-op games. There's also Octodad, which I love the hell out of, but if she gets frustrated with learning the controls of new videogames, it may just frustrate her further.

For videogames that you're trying to show her around what games can do, Shovel Knight is probably the best ambassador for all the old fashioned platformers (it also has a co-op mode, but it doesn't work so well). Thomas Was Alone is another great platformer with an excellent story, Bastion is one of the greats, and for some of the games that show you the more offbeat things games can do as a medium, there's Papers Please, Solar 2, and Westerado. FTL can be a good introduction to more complicated management games, Chroma Squad is a nice introduction to strategic turn-based games, and if she's already into shooters, she may like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. And of course, if she's not prone to losing confidence when playing games, :darksouls: is worth it just from the sheer amount of influence it's had.

There's also adventure games like Monkey Island, Phoenix Wright, or Sam and Max, and games where you can really get lost in making choices about the world like Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, and Fallout: New Vegas, but for those, whatever her tastes are in stories will matter a whole lot more. Same with games that go more towards the walking simulator or visual novel side of things like VA-11 Hall-A or Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fifteen of Many posted:

Maybe something open world with lots of space and varied gameplay? Like if she's interested in a specific period in history, see if there's an Assassin's Creed game set around then?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If she's into shooters and cooperative games, either multiplayer or solo, Left for Dead 2 and Vermintide 2 might be good choices.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, what's good for playing while listening to podcasts? I have a lot stuff to catch up on, and need to do something with my hands and eyes in the meantime.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is hilarious fun for two people. It's also suitable for playing in shorter intervals. Same thing with Overcooked 1 and 2. My girlfriend and I had a great time playing these.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, what's good for playing while listening to podcasts? I have a lot stuff to catch up on, and need to do something with my hands and eyes in the meantime.

- Any game that has an activity that occupies your hands but not your mind. This will vary depending on who you are - I just spend a ton of hours in Cook Serve Delicious 3 listening to reply all.
- The classics: Euro Truck Sim 2, Elite Dangerous, any slow-paced driving sim/space trucking sim.
- Paradox Interactive games like Crusader Kings 2 don't have a lot of music; that said I find them too thinky for listening.
- ARPGs like Path of Exile, Diablo, Zombasite, etc. I'm reinstalling Grim Dawn just for this purpose.
- Simple-but-difficult puzzlers like Paint it Back, Militia, Solar Settlers.
- DemonCrawl as it's minesweeper with items.
- Stuff like Minecraft or No Man's Sky or Subnautica.
- And I've seen some people cite games like Ubisoft games like AssCreed or Far Crys or Watch_Dogs 2 where you finish areas. Turn off the audio and go.

I'm probably forgetting more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Any game that has an activity that occupies your hands but not your mind.

Desert Bus has this in spades.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Games with long transit times can fit, same with games that you're replaying so you already know the basics of what's happening.

Sandbox games where it's fun to just run around in between missions is good when your mind is drifting. My first podcast game was Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction because it's just great jumping around a city and smashing, but that's hard to get these days, so you'd have better luck with its inverted-color successor games, Prototype 1 and 2. Spiderman, Infamous, and Assassin's Creed could also work.

FTL and Spelunky were also good for me back in the day, but probably anything without text would work. If you've ever got a game that needs grinding, that'd work. Crypt of the Necrodancer does not work though, except for the bard mode. Your ears are busy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

absolutely Minecraft, for sure. Or terraria, or stardew valley.

I'll plug my favorite modpack ever for MC here, definitely great for both chilling out and listening to podcasts while playing.

Captain Invictus posted:

You want a mod for Minecraft called Life In the Woods: Renaissance. It runs on an older vesion of Java minecraft but will be more than enough for any exploration related needs. It adds 80+ biomes, nearly a thousand new items and blocks, reimagines The Nether, etc. It also adds some extremely nice shader options to give dynamic lighting, shadows, sunbeams, water effects, the whole nine yards. I have put thousands of hours into it at this point, if you want chill exploration, it is 100% what you're after. I recommend grabbing a compatible copy of Xaero's minimap and worldmap, currently at work so I can't link the pages but I'm sure the pages that show up on Google have compatible archived versions as well.

Here is an imgur gallery I made a while ago with a bunch of screenshots: Life in the Woods https://imgur.com/gallery/yD2DVnp

Here's a couple examples, the island below was surrounded by MASSIVE oceans, ringed around its outer edge by volcanoes and in the center of it were mangroves and a small rainforest. But the sight of it appearing on the horizon in the middle of the night, illuminated by lava, was a real sight.

Captain Invictus posted:

sorry forgot to link the modpack itself, here, if you hadn't already googled it: http://lifeinthewoods.ca/

I forgot as well that apparently the shaders link on the site doesn't work anymore, unless they fixed it recently, so here they are. dump'em in the LITWR folder, under the repository subfolder, under thirdparty: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndjb4rsbm182btw/shaders_maybe.rar/file

grab the version of Xaero's World Map that corresponds to the build of Minecraft that LITWR uses, I want to say it's like 1.7 or 1.3 or something. https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/xaeros-world-map

It will help you prevent getting completely lost if you want to have a main home base to return to, just hit M and it'll show a map of every chunk(16x16 block section of world) you've loaded since installing the map mod. There's an associate minimap mod as well by the same fella.

A few recommendations for starting out:

keep cheats on, and enable Magnet Mode in the cheat menu on the inventory screen, it will hoover up any loose items nearby which is immensely useful to reduce just having to run around and pick everything up constantly. this will lead to sucking up tons of random plants as you enter new biomes as the modpack MOSTLY works well together but some stuff spawns in illegal places the first time you load a chunk and poofs into a lootable item instead.

Spawn yourself a few different-colored Large Backpacks from the item menu to the right of your inventory(they cannot be crafted in Renaissance for some reason) and just having those around to shove all the random bullshit you'll be picking up as you walk everywhere, there's literally hundreds of different plants, and dozens of variants of a bunch of different flowers that each take up inventory space individually, so poo poo gets crowded fast.

Have fun relaxing!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Have there been any new first person dungeon crawler like games released in the past couple years besides Operencia? I kind of want something evokes the feeling of Might & Magic 4/5 or 6, at least in terms of scale and variety, but can't really find much that's been released in recent years. Other than Operencia I found one indie title that's too devoted to the old school feel (Legends of Amberland) and Bard's Tale IV. I'm hoping I'm missing something because Operencia looks like the only modern game in this style past MMX and Grimrock 2.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a game called Conglomerate 451 but it's cyberpunk rather than fantasy and has procedurally-generated dungeons (dunno if that's only in endless mode or also in story mode).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrixNebulosa posted:

what zombie games am I missing? Must be on steam or uplay (not touching epic). any genres are welcome. I just want zombies.
Plague, inc has a zombie plague

KSP is why I started listening to podcasts

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nessin posted:

Have there been any new first person dungeon crawler like games released in the past couple years besides Operencia? I kind of want something evokes the feeling of Might & Magic 4/5 or 6, at least in terms of scale and variety, but can't really find much that's been released in recent years. Other than Operencia I found one indie title that's too devoted to the old school feel (Legends of Amberland) and Bard's Tale IV. I'm hoping I'm missing something because Operencia looks like the only modern game in this style past MMX and Grimrock 2.
Starcrawlers is this and its really good. Theres a bunch of Japanese Wizardry-style games that I've never really dived into, including actual licensed Wizardries. I've only played the Etrian Odyssey games but they're great.

comedy option: Grimoire

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

nessin posted:

I too would like a new World of Xeen.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Riatsala posted:

Rune Factory 4 special edition released for Switch today. The original for 3ds is one of my all time favorites and has all the management/dating/farming of stardew valley + a whole adventure game tacked on as well. If switch is an option, I would highly recommend it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is hilarious fun for two people. It's also suitable for playing in shorter intervals.

Keep Talking is my favorite co-op game, it's especially great when the two partners keep their same roles and you can get practiced with the lingo that you both use and the info that you each need. My girlfriend and I have gotten very good at it. It's definitely not a "normal" co-op game though, if that's what you're looking for.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

listening to reply all.

Hell yeah.

I went bananas on arpgs last year, so I think I'm good for now. Laid-back driving sim sounds good though. Are any of the forza games on pc good? For reference, I loved Forza 2 and 3 because they were all about chilling out racing family sedans, tinkering with camber and drivetrain swaps and there was absolutely no storyline or cutscenes to mess with the experience.

Captain Invictus posted:

absolutely Minecraft, for sure. Or terraria, or stardew valley.

I'll plug my favorite modpack ever for MC here, definitely great for both chilling out and listening to podcasts while playing.

I already bookmarked your post because it looks neat!

gohuskies posted:

Keep Talking is my favorite co-op game, it's especially great when the two partners keep their same roles and you can get practiced with the lingo that you both use and the info that you each need. My girlfriend and I have gotten very good at it. It's definitely not a "normal" co-op game though, if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, we also got a pretty good groove going, with me reading and her tinkering. It's more akin to assembling ikea furniture than it is a game, but in a fun way.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Are any of the forza games on pc good? For reference, I loved Forza 2 and 3 because they were all about chilling out racing family sedans, tinkering with camber and drivetrain swaps and there was absolutely no storyline or cutscenes to mess with the experience.

I'm actually looking for a good arcade racer too, but I want the Gran Turismo style where you earn cars and upgrades as you go. Ideally I want to be able to upgrade a clunker and turn it into a lean racing machine (and ultimately overpower the race with a massive loving expensive engine so I don't have to actually drive better than the computer :v: )

All the latest games seem to be either too simmy (I just want to race, not be good at racing, dammit), not offer upgrade and progression options, or be plagued by microtransaction hell (I want to earn new cars by racing to unlock new races, not pay for them. I'm not a car enthusiast, I just want progression and upgrades.)

I played Gran Turismo 3 to death (I even got the S licenses) and I've never actually been able to recapture the magic. The closest has been Need For Speed: Shift and I'd like something new.

As an aside, I couldn't actually bring myself to play Dirt 3 because there was an unskippable tutorial that was literally “In this event you want to race your car around the track. The goal is to come in first. You come in first by racing your car around the track. In order to race your car around the track, push the button that corresponds to the gas pedal! Coming in first means you win the race. You want to win the race – winning is the whole goal of the race.”
I want to strangle the entire design team responsible for that nightmare. That unskippable, non-subtitled, redundant nightmare. So I kinda want to avoid any games that make me want to strangle the design team, too.

Anyway. Back to Euro Trucker, where I have disabled traffic violations, so it's basically a racing game with semi trucks.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The Crew 2 seems like it could be up your alley. Reduced scale full US with races offering part upgrades and "money" with which to unlock new cars.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dirt Rally is pretty solid. It leans more towards sim than arcade, depending on what assists you have turned on. The career mode is a bit odd but it doesn't get in the way of racing.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

pun pundit posted:

The Crew 2 seems like it could be up your alley. Reduced scale full US with races offering part upgrades and "money" with which to unlock new cars.

Is it significantly different from the first one? I can't remember what chased me off the first one... I think it maybe paired me up with children screaming epithets into their mics.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
First thing I do when I play any multiplayer game is turn off the voice chat.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

StrixNebulosa posted:

zombies zombies zombies

How to survive: Storm warning is a top down quirky zombie game with a lot of crafting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anyone got any recs for good couch co-op games? got a group of 3 people. overcooked and lovers in a dangerous spacetime were fun but one of the members of this group is picky and easily annoyed, he got frustrated with and bored by these two games respectively. my current thinking is something more like a "traditional" game would be good (i.e. my first thought is final fantasy crystal chronicles would be really fun, in that it's fully functional as a single player game and has the expected complexity of one, but unfortuantely getting together all that hardware isn't super feasible for something he might just bounce off of, and idk if the upcoming rerelease will have local multiplayer), but of course couch co-op for 3 players is required and i'm not sure what good games meet that description.

console options are gamecube, wii, wii U, switch, and we also have a steamlink so pc games work as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Affordable Space Adventures for the Wii-U.

I'm not sure if Snipperclips or the Lego games can handle 3 players, but they might.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ninjewtsu posted:

anyone got any recs for good couch co-op games? got a group of 3 people. overcooked and lovers in a dangerous spacetime were fun but one of the members of this group is picky and easily annoyed, he got frustrated with and bored by these two games respectively. my current thinking is something more like a "traditional" game would be good (i.e. my first thought is final fantasy crystal chronicles would be really fun, in that it's fully functional as a single player game and has the expected complexity of one, but unfortuantely getting together all that hardware isn't super feasible for something he might just bounce off of, and idk if the upcoming rerelease will have local multiplayer), but of course couch co-op for 3 players is required and i'm not sure what good games meet that description.

console options are gamecube, wii, wii U, switch, and we also have a steamlink so pc games work as well.

Trine might fit the bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Guacamelee (both) are pretty fun and quite merciful, since only one player needs to survive the platforming parts and others can join the beat em ups.

Broforce is simple stupid fun as well.