Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Keep in mind March 2020 was when at least Delta was due to switch from NRT to HND for routes, so confusion reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

3nin dakedo, daijobu??
Dozo dozo
This seems nice and easy to remember, I’ll go with that!

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
well, my sister and i will have been in japan for a month on wednesday. we're thinking about celebrating at an izakaya tomorrow. do y'all have any recommendations? preferably on the west side of the greater tokyo area (shibuy, shinjuku, etc but also as far west as kichijoji). i've heard of golden gai, is that a bit of a tourist trap? of course, anyone is welcome to join us!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

JaySB posted:

Got my reservations for Jiro and Den. Virus be damned, I'm comin.

How'd you manage the Den reservation? Never once got through their reservation line last time we went to Tokyo.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

How'd you manage the Den reservation? Never once got through their reservation line last time we went to Tokyo.

I just called a few times. Got a busy signal or call can't be completed at first and then got through.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Walked from Ginza to Supreme Harajuku stopping at Edo Castle and various shrines on the way. Walked around Harajuku for a bit and ate a giant mozzarella stick. Went over to Shibuya I-land for lunch and got terrified by Shinjuku station. Going to be fun in the morning when we have to make Hakone for 11 to go on tour with fun2drive.

We’re back at our hotel napping then going out for dinner and some beers.

Edit: we have two nights booked at Yama no Chaya and apparently dinner is between 1730 and 1830 and strict. The fun2drive tour should end around 1900 should we try to get the ryokan to accommodate us or just suck it up and grab dinner somewhere else tomorrow night?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 3, 2020

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yea we went through Harajuku yesterday and it was great. This time last year it took us an hour plus just to waddle through takeshita st because of the crowds.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KidDynamite posted:

Edit: we have two nights booked at Yama no Chaya and apparently dinner is between 1730 and 1830 and strict. The fun2drive tour should end around 1900 should we try to get the ryokan to accommodate us or just suck it up and grab dinner somewhere else tomorrow night?

If you call and let them know today, they are more likely to be accommodating.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Uhh that's sucking up like half the reason and cost to go to a decent ryokan. Definitely call and ask them if they can push it back.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey quick question. In May I’m we are going to Tokyo. We are thinking of now going to Kyoto for a side trip. 2 adults 1 toddler on our lap. We would need a train Tokyo to Kyoto and then Kyoto to Haneda to fly home. How much are tickets on the trains and what’s the best way to buy? The JR psd seems expensive for two trains but maybe they just cost a lot.

Is first class worth it?

How is luggage handled and a stroller for the baby?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Hey quick question. In May I’m we are going to Tokyo. We are thinking of now going to Kyoto for a side trip. 2 adults 1 toddler on our lap. We would need a train Tokyo to Kyoto and then Kyoto to Haneda to fly home. How much are tickets on the trains and what’s the best way to buy? The JR psd seems expensive for two trains but maybe they just cost a lot.

Is first class worth it?

How is luggage handled and a stroller for the baby?

JR Shinkansen prices from Tokyo to Kyoto are about 13,000 JPY per adult per way. You can spend a touch more for the “green car” aka first class, but reserved tickets alone will be a nice experience. The other major stop inside Tokyo, Shinagawa, has another train line (Keikyu) that runs to Haneda Airport and you can transit there on the way back.

Luggage is racks above the seats, there isn’t some luggage car or separate area on the bullet trains. So if you can put it overhead, it’ll be fine. Same with suitcases.

Bullet trains run just about every 10-15 minutes. Just note that it’s an extra charge on top of the JR Pass to use the fastest speed.

The JR Pass is a tricky thing. But common wisdom inside the thread is if you’re making this trip — Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto, or vice versa — you will come out ahead based on costs. However, it only covers JR train lines, which are far from the only train line inside Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check train times and prices using http://www.hyperdia.com/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

We called and they are refunding us the cost of the meal, but not pushing it back. A little inconvenient but nothing we can’t work around.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I hit up Ameyoko Market, then KITTE rooftop, then through Ginza, went to Nissan Crossing, then over to Shibuya Sky for sunset, which was kind of busy but not crazily so. Managed to sit on one of the sofas and watch the city change to night. Then over to Harajuku for a crepe and then the Monster Cafe for the show, it was almost empty. It was such a nice day today, it was pretty great to just go where we wanted without crowds and pretty much no wait, just a 15 minute line for Shibuya Sky tickets.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I hit up Ameyoko Market, then KITTE rooftop, then through Ginza, went to Nissan Crossing, then over to Shibuya Sky for sunset, which was kind of busy but not crazily so. Managed to sit on one of the sofas and watch the city change to night. Then over to Harajuku for a crepe and then the Monster Cafe for the show, it was almost empty. It was such a nice day today, it was pretty great to just go where we wanted without crowds and pretty much no wait, just a 15 minute line for Shibuya Sky tickets.

Yeah it was beautiful out today. I'm heading home to Australia tomorrow. Out of the 4 trips I've had to Japan this has probably been the best one. Reading this thread kinda makes it feel like the last days of Rome but it's just a beautiful country that's even better when there aren't giant queues/crowds for everything.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lol fyi all really high rated hotels are super cheap atm in tokyo

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I guess I should have looked for flights despite applications being closed. Caught the window but couldn't find a flight to somewhere I wanted to go.

By the time I found a flight to Takamatsu, which is perfect for what I want to do this year, applications were closed. Poop. There's always tomorrow.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

lol fyi all really high rated hotels are super cheap atm in tokyo

I'm happy because the Hilton keeps dropping and I keep rebooking.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My husband and I just boarded the Emeraldas headed for Odaiba and we have the whole boat to ourselves. I figured it would be kind of empty but I was not expecting to have a private tour of the Sumida River.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hakone had a fair amount of folks yesterday. I have nothing to compare it too but there weren’t any lines so I don’t think it was that much but the streets were legit full.

My wife said she read something on NHK about a state of emergency bill getting passed that will give Abe some extra powers. Is that anything to be worried about?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Hakone had a fair amount of folks yesterday. I have nothing to compare it too but there weren’t any lines so I don’t think it was that much but the streets were legit full.

My wife said she read something on NHK about a state of emergency bill getting passed that will give Abe some extra powers. Is that anything to be worried about?

Your big worries are going to be if the US requires major quarantines upon re-entry or goes even farther, to bar re-entry.

I don’t think that will happen. Anything here in Japan will be communicated to you politely by hotel staff.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

bar re-entry.

I don't think even current POTUS would do this to US citizens. ferners sure

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

I don't think even current POTUS would do this to US citizens. ferners sure

I’m Afro-Latino and was not born in the US. I have citizenship though so the current admin could definitely use me as a test for how much racism they can get away with.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

KNOTFEST got postponed to an unknown future date. That gives me more time to put together a cool outfit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

More like notfest, lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

haha woah oof

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

More like notfest, lol

R₀fest if they let it happen

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I cancelled my trip in April :(

The refunded air fare will help cover the cost of a new Herman Miller chair for my apartment since my office is closed for the next few weeks.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 6, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie posted:

I guess I should have looked for flights despite applications being closed. Caught the window but couldn't find a flight to somewhere I wanted to go.

By the time I found a flight to Takamatsu, which is perfect for what I want to do this year, applications were closed. Poop. There's always tomorrow.

I got my ticket to Takamatsu. Yippee.

So far, flying Detroit -> Tokyo -> Takamatsu -> Tokyo -> Detroit has cost me 351 dollars.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hell yeah mate

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ps why return to detroit ???

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
jesus christ do i need to look into flights. i aint afraid of no virus.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Just fuckin do it, it's spreading all over the place anyway.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kyoto is loving rad.

I really like Japanese style curry so recommend some hella good spots in Kyoto, please.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

ps why return to detroit ???

ドMからかな?

I have no idea :(

I got the Tokyo<->Takamatsu through the JAL promotion. I think ANA is also running a promotion so look into that as well if you're not having luck with JAL or don't see something you like.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

mikeycp posted:

jesus christ do i need to look into flights. i aint afraid of no virus.

Basically, yes. Airfare to Asia is as cheap as it's ever going to be. Hotels in Tokyo are plummeting in price too, when I first booked the Hilton it was closer to $400/nt for my room, now it's about $240/nt, for example.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

KidDynamite posted:

Kyoto is loving rad.

I really like Japanese style curry so recommend some hella good spots in Kyoto, please.

I loved Kara-Kasu Curry if you want something a little more refined than a 600-yen curry place. They serve like 4 types of curry, and that's the whole menu. It's just off the main drag in downtown Kyoto. Lots of info on it here: https://sharing-kyoto.com/eat_karakusacurry/story

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Your biggest issue atm is if your home country actually gets it's poo poo together. rn the US government is doing basically negative things to combat spread and anything substantive is being done by the private sector with some companies just themselves opting to close locations or have people work from home, which i guess is the american way.

So yeah if you can deal with a 2 week quarantine or have a job that will let you work from home do it but that's honestly the biggest issue.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I was actually considering going back again after my trip a year ago, but my wife upon returning would be quarantined from work for 2 weeks without pay. That would cost more than the trip itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Work just sent out an email askeing to self quarantine-aka-work-from-home for 14 days after visiting the forbidden zone, which I'm all in favour of. I hope everything calms down by my early May flight, but if not I guess I have the best case scenario of being asked to not make my hour and a half commute each way for half a month.