Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, Durkon’s more of a spiritual doer than a spiritual leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, Durkon’s more of a spiritual doer than a spiritual leader.

Which is more consistent with the d&d vision of a priest but quite distinct from the real world idea of a priest

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Durkon dumped Charisma, Minrah didn't.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

jng2058 posted:

Durkon dumped Charisma, Minrah didn't.

I do wonder if stat allocation is understood to be a thing somehow in ootsverse.

When does it happen?

Who decides?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They talk about it, so it is: how that meshes with being born is unclear lol

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rand Brittain posted:

Durkon walks the walk, but isn't so great at talking the talk.

High wisdom, low charisma.

Feeling like she's a higher charisma, middling wisdom type cleric that'll put her points into wisdom as she levels, er, progresses in life.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Preach it!" / "I already am, because I'm a cleric!" is the kind of line that makes me want to play a cleric just so I can say it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is the first time in a long time that we've seen Belkar just... smile.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm joining a campaign as a gnome cleric in a few weeks, taking notes on this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How long is it until Belkar's last breath anyways, in comic time? :v:

habituallyred posted:

2 Things: The GITP forums are back.

Do you think this blood oath connection counts as touch range? This could pay off in a big way. Also Roy could put "wizard's familiar" on his resume.

It's kinda funny comparing how long some of the gitp forum mods have done their job to any other forum's.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 6, 2020

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Cuntellectual posted:

How long is it until Belkar's last breath anyways, in comic time? :v:

Ever heard of Zeno's Paradox?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I do wonder if stat allocation is understood to be a thing somehow in ootsverse.

When does it happen?

Who decides?

I recalled one instance of talking about it, and the person himself seems to decide?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So not to make this an extended de-rail, but is it just me or is it kind of obvious that Minrah is supposed to be a Transgender woman?

Firstly I am not saying this as if it is a bad thing, more diversity is always good. And Rich himself has said he wanted to try and be more inclusive with his characters*.

But it is just between Minrah talking about having something she was ashamed of before Thor told her it was okay, her speaking to her parents before leaving on the quest and now the whole line about how " if you start a new life, people will only know the new you" it all paints to that.
It just that everyone was on that page which was why no one was commenting on it.

* = Minrah does allow them to touch on that unique gaming problem RPG's have that traditional stories don't have.
Which is if you introduce a new PC midway or at the endway through a campaign, they don't have the same cohesion or teamwork with the established players, which this strip addresses.
You also have the problem that they are maybe half the level of the PC's and will probably get got easily in the first big combat. Which I think has already happened too.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Question IRL posted:

So not to make this an extended de-rail, but is it just me or is it kind of obvious that Minrah is supposed to be a Transgender woman?

Firstly I am not saying this as if it is a bad thing, more diversity is always good. And Rich himself has said he wanted to try and be more inclusive with his characters*.

But it is just between Minrah talking about having something she was ashamed of before Thor told her it was okay, her speaking to her parents before leaving on the quest and now the whole line about how " if you start a new life, people will only know the new you" it all paints to that.
It just that everyone was on that page which was why no one was commenting on it.

* = Minrah does allow them to touch on that unique gaming problem RPG's have that traditional stories don't have.
Which is if you introduce a new PC midway or at the endway through a campaign, they don't have the same cohesion or teamwork with the established players, which this strip addresses.
You also have the problem that they are maybe half the level of the PC's and will probably get got easily in the first big combat. Which I think has already happened too.

A perfectly reasonable headcanon.

The only certainty is that minra is a fun character whose gonna be doing some punchline heavy lifting

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ikanreed posted:

A perfectly reasonable headcanon.

The only certainty is that minra is a fun character whose gonna be doing some punchline heavy lifting

I saw Minrah as gay, not trans, although I could probably be persuaded the other way. What's the basis for your reasoning?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We’ve got several possibilities, but we also already have multiple nonstraight characters. V is nonbinary, but that’s a cultural thing, not a personal one. If there was ever a time to include a trans character who wouldn’t feel shoehorned in, it’s with her.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

The Question IRL posted:

I saw the trans link with her line about people only knowing the new you too, but I really don't understand how her speaking to her parents is a trans thing. Also, if she is trans, it's important to note that Thor never says anything about her being ashamed when he's alluding to her secret. He just says it's something she's been "worried about" and that she'd rather he "not say out loud in front of Durkon". Not wanting your god to out you is not the same thing as being ashamed of being trans.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I saw the trans link with her line about people only knowing the new you too, but I really don't understand how her speaking to her parents is a trans thing. Also, if she is trans, it's important to note that Thor never says anything about her being ashamed when he's alluding to her secret. He just says it's something she's been "worried about" and that she'd rather he "not say out loud in front of Durkon". Not wanting your god to out you is not the same thing as being ashamed of being trans.

It could be possible she had her gender changed (everyone remembers the belt) and hasn't updated her parents on the matter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I saw the trans link with her line about people only knowing the new you too, but I really don't understand how her speaking to her parents is a trans thing.

Her particular wording was that she wanted to say some deeply personal things that she'd always assumed she'd have more time to say. Not a smoking gun for being trans, but it would fit very well with her not being out to everyone yet.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

I like this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

That's not a bad reading of the character. I kind of hope that it turns out to be accurate even though I think at this point Rich wouldn't set it up a big secret for the character.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My reading was that Minrah was not straight, but I don't see anything that disproves the idea that she's trans-- they're definitely both valid readings. Hell, could be both.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it seems fairly obvious to me but it's one of those catch-22s where it would be nearly impossible for rich to make it explicit without either her having one of those HEY SO I WAS A DUDE ONCE conversations that has plagued video game rpgs for millennia, or a character stumbling into her highly personal backstory without her knowing

rich is a real good writer and he takes this sort of thing seriously so i trust him regardless of where he goes with minrah

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That’s why you have a conversation about how she needs to avoid Dispel Magic so her Permanent duration Polymorph Any Object stays put.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cabbit posted:

My reading was that Minrah was not straight, but I don't see anything that disproves the idea that she's trans-- they're definitely both valid readings. Hell, could be both.

Same. My initial reading was that she was gay or bi, but I can see where the argument that she’s actually trans is coming from when it’s laid out like that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I’m not that creative so I just thought she didn’t like beer.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

That’s why you have a conversation about how she needs to avoid Dispel Magic so her Permanent duration Polymorph Any Object stays put.

I thought this is permanent regardless as long as you do it in the right way?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Mordenkainen’s Dysmorphia

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

goblin week posted:

Mordenkainen’s Dysmorphia

Sounds like it’d more be Tenser’s area of expertise

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Could see it. Thing is, Rich talked in the past about including a transgender character - he's reluctant about it, since he screwed it up in the past.
(Index here, relevant comments under writing)
Of course, people change their mind, been a few years.

Aside,

quote:

her speaking to her parents before leaving on the quest
...Huh? You mean that saying goodbye before a long (and potentially fatal) trip, is not normal?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cabbit posted:

The thing about this interpretation is that she wanted to keep whatever it was secret and at the same time was happily public about her friend being gay all in front of durkon

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gun Jam posted:

Could see it. Thing is, Rich talked in the past about including a transgender character - he's reluctant about it, since he screwed it up in the past.
(Index here, relevant comments under writing)
Of course, people change their mind, been a few years.

Aside,

...Huh? You mean that saying goodbye before a long (and potentially fatal) trip, is not normal?

I could see it as her wanting to set the record straight with her loved ones in case the Order wins, but she dies (again), and she wants them to remember her as she truly was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if she’s MtF or FtM. My gut says MtF, since she’s happy with how she’s changed, but who knows?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I very much doubt that Minrah is a trans dude, given she's spent her entire screentime so far identifying as a woman, even as she appears in the afterlife and is referred to as such by her god, who is a super upstanding dude. Not to say that that's an invalid reading, but that is a super risky story for a cis person to write.

Minrah being a trans woman I can definitely see. Though I got the impression that dwarfs are super cool about gender stuff in general, given Sigdi casually stating that she wants for Durkon to settle down with a "lass or lad" of his choosing, so in my version of the reading, her parents would already know and be fully on board, and she had her casting of polymorph (if applicable) sponsored by the church.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Did he ever actually use pronouns for her?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Honestly, I have a completely different read on her. I think she used to be a bad person, back when she was a town guard, then had an epiphany and decided to clean up her act and join the church. Her general belligerence could be a reflection of being a particularly violent person in her past life. She wouldn’t want Durkon to find out because he’s a huge stick in the mud and she’s afraid of being booted from the party. It would also have a much closer parallel with Belkar’s own (semi-)redemption story.

This isn’t the strongest theory, admittedly, but nor is most other speculation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She described her guard self as “dumb “, I feel like she might choose a different word if she was reformed evil

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think she might just be proud to be a cleric going on an adventure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

She described her guard self as “dumb “, I feel like she might choose a different word if she was reformed evil

We all have a bit of a chaotic/lawful evil phase in our teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PMush Perfect posted:

I think it makes sense as "I was a dumb kid who was caught up in bad stuff." Like, letting things slide because that's what the other guards did, and I want to fit in, and it's less work this way, so I should just go with the flow.

But, personally, I agree that she does read as queer.