Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know who had a plan for the russian farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

That seems like an impressive test rate

Anyway, time to close the border of the Highlands. Block the A96, A9 and A82.

And the Borders, block the A7, A68, A701 and A702.The central belt can fend for itself, or we can reclaim it after the pestilence has passed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I think last time this happened it was explained that getting a username with a load of numbers like that happens sometimes when you try to create a new account on mobile

e: the fact that their timeline is 99.9% RTs is much more indicative of a bot for me

This was last week, the username format is pretty much just an indicator of the non-terminally-online and as they tend not to :hmmyes: along the lines of the terminally online they get called bots.

This person also does original tweets (posts and replies) versus RTs at a much higher rate than I do, and I'm fairly certain I'm not a bot. Now you can point at the rather abnormal following/follower ratio for a non-celebrity but there's no actual indicator that they're a bot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I expect this is a bot but on the other hand I'm pretty sure there are people who think like this and think they have a choice in the matter!

https://twitter.com/christi90551674/status/1235703303696236545?s=20
I read down the feed of algorithmicly similar tweets I may also enjoy and I could feel my brain smoothening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think you could grout the bathroom by pointing a tablet with twitter at it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could definitely fill the toilet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shaun Vids did a 300k subs Q&A and it was rather surprising to see poignant questions coming from one of those mary09128309182903821908 accounts. Only for him to reply to another one later that was also like vivian123718728987 that was clearly a bot asking racist questions in a JAQ way.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I expect this is a bot but on the other hand I'm pretty sure there are people who think like this and think they have a choice in the matter!

https://twitter.com/christi90551674/status/1235703303696236545?s=20

My 90+ year old upstairs neighbour voted to leave the EU because she was frustrated not understanding the foreign accents of the very doctors and nurses who were keeping her alive.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Do you think you could grout the bathroom by pointing a tablet with twitter at it?

Only if you tile your bathroom in brains, which seems like a solution worse than the problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

My 90+ year old upstairs neighbour voted to leave the EU because she was frustrated understanding the foreign accents of the very doctors and nurses who were keeping her alive.

Is she still alive?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Shaun Vids did a 300k subs Q&A and it was rather surprising to see poignant questions coming from one of those mary09128309182903821908 accounts. Only for him to reply to another one later that was also like vivian123718728987 that was clearly a bot asking racist questions in a JAQ way.

What do you think bots actually are and do?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Is she still alive?

I can hear random coughs from upstairs, so yes, for now...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Get elected mayor of Manchester?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean the first one is clearly an example of the mobile sign up issue mentioned before, where it's a real person who got a bunch of random digits added, whereas the latter was clearly a Russian bot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I can hear random coughs from upstairs, so yes, for now...

Clearly harder to kill than you thought. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Following that utter poo poo in the Guardian this week, hundreds of feminists have written them a letter calling them out, it's good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

I mean the first one is clearly an example of the mobile sign up issue mentioned before, where it's a real person who got a bunch of random digits added, whereas the latter was clearly a Russian bot.

In what way "clearly"?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Anything with that kind of string of numbers has a good chance of coming from one of the Russian farms.

Lol no it doesn't. Its just the way twitter names new accounts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In what way "clearly"?

It was a question personalised to an extent that a bot wouldn't be, unless you think someone's gone out of their way to make a bot to specifically troll Shaun & Vids by asking him sensible questions for his Q&A?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The pub I'm in has this guest Welsh red ale called Cwtch and this is a tasty ale, nice work, Wales!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

It was a question personalised to an extent that a bot wouldn't be, unless you think someone's gone out of their way to make a bot to specifically troll Shaun & Vids by asking him sensible questions for his Q&A?

I think the question is why was the bot clearly a bot.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Re: sick leave

When I worked night shift in sainsbos our shift manager gave a big speech about how too many people had been sick and he didn't care if was illegal the next person to call in sick would be fired.
The next day he was off sick

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

When I worked night shift in sainsbos our shift manager gave a big speech about how too many people had been sick and he didn't care if was illegal the next person to call in sick would be fired.

Was he fired

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The pub I'm in has this guest Welsh red ale called Cwtch and this is a tasty ale, nice work, Wales!

One of the Tiny Rebel ales. It's supposed to be really good but i haven't tried it yet. I think it's only named that so you can go to the bar and say "give us a cwtch."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

LOL ofc not

It was one of many times I saw our union rep go "you can't do that" and management said "watch us" though.

Beats my friends who work in waitrose and JL who don't even have a union and are treated much worse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think the question is why was the bot clearly a bot.

Ohhhh right. I guess you could argue it's a racist human dipshit. I'm not gonna claim I'm 100% on this.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

You can buy cans of it in Waitrose.

My work contingency for virus closure is that I still have to go in so :rip: me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

you can go to the bar and say "give us a cwtch."

I do not think I can.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends who's serving.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Okay you've completely lost me now. You were claiming the one asking the racist question was clearly a Russian bot. I'm asking you - other than the username format which we've already established isn't evidence of it being a bot (in fact is almost certainly strong evidence *against* an account being a bot) and the fact that they were expressing racist views - what makes them "clearly a Russian bot"?

I know I might be coming over as a bit of a dick here but I'm trying to draw out from you (and by extension anyone else in the "RUSSIA ARE EVERYWHERE" camp) the actual reasons why you think this is the case slowly enough that you examine the preconceptions you have.

If you prefer, I can cut to the chase:

It wasn't a Russian bot. Almost nothing you think is a Russia bot is a Russian bot. Bots - Russian or otherwise - are restricted purely to signal-boosting. There are a vanishingly small number of cases where deliberate, original posts were made by accounts associated with such efforts but they were always the top of a chain, not the middle of it, because a random reply to a post is fundamentally far less influential than an OP, and the ROI on the St. Petersburg Troll Factories that would be required to have hundreds of people posting replies to random threads is non-existent, especially compared to signal-boosting your own content or - much more frequently - that of media figures that happen to agree with your agenda.

The narrative of politically-motivated bots infesting all aspects of social media is a convenient one for a lot of interested parties, from blue-ticks refusing to believe that any real human being could possibly disagree with their extremely clever points, to politicians wanting to pretend that it's still 1964 and we need to be on our guard for reds under the bed (and that we need to nuke Iran immediately), to social media companies who want to pretend their massively-multiplayer online notepads are actually influential in world affairs, but it's one that falls apart at the slightest probing.

To pick at just the most obvious and prominent of those threads - you're sitting in your Bureau of Winding Up Fubpees office at the Lubyanka. You've spent millions on a system that is able to reliably pass the Turing Test and/or a massive room of Posting Warriors able not only to speak a foreign language but use regionalisms and slang to a level undetectable to native speakers. Just before you press the big red button to unleash your Third Shock Site Army across the Internet German Border, when the Third Deputy Secretary With Special Responsiblity For Annoying Jolyon Maugham speaks up - "Comrade, do you think we should do something about these placeholder usernames?" "Nyet, Ivan. Even though the shittiest boiler-room advance fee fraud operation running out of a basement in Lagos can spend ten seconds coming up with generic names and bios, this is something that is beyond out capabilities". FWIW, every account that *has* been definitively linked with political influencing by foreign powers *has* had a non-generic username, and I suspect anyone in that trade would be actually pretty pissed off at any suggestion that they would leave such a massive tell in literally the first thing you see.

I know this seems like a stupid thing to be getting so wound up about but like I say, it's actually a liberal defence mechanism, and buying into it just enforces their delusions and pushes us further from ever actually getting poo poo done.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, I had a bit of a pointless gripe about the Graun series Europeans, but turns out I kinda like this one:

Europeans: Borders by Jakub Zulczyk starring Jacek Koman

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is society if not a large machine learning experiment to produce twitter accounts that can be stupid in such a way that you assume they're robots?

What if the turing test, but approaching from the other direction?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What is society if not a large machine learning experiment to produce twitter accounts that can be stupid in such a way that you assume they're robots?

What if the turing test, but approaching from the other direction?

Error 474: could not open file ‘context-sensitive-response.txt’

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

LOL ofc not

It was one of many times I saw our union rep go "you can't do that" and management said "watch us" though.

Beats my friends who work in waitrose and JL who don't even have a union and are treated much worse.

JLP don't recognise unions due to its own structure and the partnership thing. It does have measures in place and they can be incredibly effective at protecting individual staff members from threats, bullying etc and even some 'outside' measures. The channels are advertised internally but unfortunately not many people take notice of them. If your friends are experiencing threats, bullying, 'targets', etc then tell them to check the contacts section of the Gazette for Partner House (sometimes in the inner front page, sometimes inner back page) or failing that, just contact the Personnel line to report what's going on.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The old strategy was not entirely signal boosting. Rather, bots would use a combination of Markov chain language generators, signal-boosting retweets to churn out shareable content (sometimes inflammatory, but sometimes just bizarre. Remember when horse_ebooks was a thing?), and a small number of human-tuned accounts to generate content that the automated accounts would signal boost (Symantec suggested a 96% automated to 4% manually-piloted ratio amongst its dataset oriented just toward fake news accounts).

Eventually, by chance, some of these would receive enough attention to suddenly explode into a self-reinforcing cycle of visibility and furious responses. At that point the account could be sold to interested clients, who would then fine-tune its content now that it had eyeballs attached to the account (this explains the sometimes odd shifts in interests by these accounts). It did not matter that many of these were obviously bots (see also: why do Nigerian scammers say they are from Nigeria?) as, in large part, their appeal stemmed from the fact that their intended human audiences wanted to receive and re-share its content.

The dynamic today is somewhat different as Twitter altered its algorithm substantially in 2018 to demote this kind of success (bot accounts run for humour purposes also suffered).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
horse ebooks was fraudulent, it was a person writing the tweets from almost the beginning

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

The old strategy was not entirely signal boosting. Rather, bots would use a combination of Markov chain language generators, signal-boosting retweets to churn out shareable content (sometimes inflammatory, but sometimes just bizarre. Remember when horse_ebooks was a thing?), and a small number of human-tuned accounts to generate content that the automated accounts would signal boost (Symantec suggested a 96% automated to 4% manually-piloted ratio amongst its dataset oriented just toward fake news accounts).

Eventually, by chance, some of these would receive enough attention to suddenly explode into a self-reinforcing cycle of visibility and furious responses. At that point the account could be sold to interested clients, who would then fine-tune its content now that it had eyeballs attached to the account (this explains the sometimes odd shifts in interests by these accounts). It did not matter that many of these were obviously bots (see also: why do Nigerian scammers say they are from Nigeria?) as, in large part, their appeal stemmed from the fact that their intended human audiences wanted to receive and re-share its content.

The dynamic today is somewhat different as Twitter altered its algorithm substantially in 2018 to demote this kind of success (bot accounts run for humour purposes also suffered).

But the point is that even those primitive early attempts* made even the slightest attempt at legend-making (to use the term of art for coming up with a persona for the person represented by the bot). The lowest-tech bots you see on Twitter (the ones who just slap a picture of a semi-naked woman next to a URL and the contents of the "Trending" list) at least bother to machine-generate a username and avoid all of the other alleged tells of a Russian bot.

*And by early I'm talking Sanford Wallace and his cohort of second-wave email spammers in the nineties** who pioneered the use of machine-generated cruft to evade automated spam filters. Unsurprisingly they all moved to social media in the 2000s - they are, by definition, early-adopters (many cut their teeth on junk faxes) - where they've prospered far more than they ever did sending email spam because of the fundamental perverse incentive of a closed ecosystem which is reluctant to close accounts and depress those all-important investor storytime numbers. Spamford would piss himself laughing at these "bots" if they really were machine-generated, rather than just being ordinary members of the public who aren't as terminally online as the Twitterati.

** I've just realised that I've been dealing with this poo poo for over half my life now :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Years ago in the days of floppy disks, an edict from on high went out that anyone found with a virus on their computer would get sacked.
Our boss said everyone had to bring their floppy disks to me to be virus checked.
Well apart from trying to get people to understand that everytime their disk went in and out of another computer (a lot of people were doing evening classes, day release etc to get professional qualifications so they were swapping info from place to place) it needed checking again, the people most responsible for transmitting computer viruses were the senior management.
Needless to say they did not fire themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know we might all die of climate change but it's been a really nice sunny week.