Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I still think the Borg act like a collective of collectives. There doesn't seem to be a single borg mind that includes all drones on all cubes everywhere, there is probably a physical speed limit to communication even for them, so the borg is more a communal organism with parts able to act independently or reabsorbed into the whole, much like the great link.

In this way, a Queen might represent all the progress and important changes made to the collective on her cube(s) and physically trajecting her elsewhere may well be a meaningful preservation method for the advances made by that sphere that have yet to disseminate into the entire borg collective.

That being said, instantiating the borg into a body probably, as a completely unintended side-effect, gives her a bit of individuality and the self-preservation drive that comes with it.

That's what I'm going for. I dunno if it's specified in Voyager or not, but I always kind of assumed that communication with the overall collective wasn't a constant thing. If some force powerful enough to destroy a Cube comes along, and they don't have realtime communication to see what's happening, they would want to be able to recover the data on who/what destroyed the Cube. "The Queen" is just a more exciting/recognizable anchor point than "this is the device the Borg use to send their Flight Data Recorder home if they need to"

Again, I think this would have worked a lot better if using the Spatial Trajector used so much power it shut down the entire Cube for an extended period of time, just to immediately dismiss the "well why don't they just use the Trajector all the time" issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I was kind of hoping they would just ignore the Queen for the purposes of this show, but I didn't have a big problem with how it used that cannon element; it just felt like riffing on the established lore the same way they used plot points from Nemesis. It was dumb before, but for the purposes of this particular show, it's fine.

And I have a hard time believing Borg Queens will have anything to do with the story (at least in any sort of overly-predictable way) because so far the show has demonstrated little interest in doing the sort of Voyager-esque plots fans keep wrongly predicting.

I also have a feeling if Queens have anything to do with the story, it will just be like Spock in Discovery where everyone has a kneejerk reaction to go "that's so stupid," but then once it unfolds it's alright.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Guess it's just lucky then.

What's the pixar adage, coincidences can get your characters into trouble but not out?

Farce genre would be the exception to this.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hey, maybe it was already discussed but did I miss a part of a previous episode where Seven's "calling card" was brought onboard the cube and dropped at some point? I felt like it was just there all of a sudden but couldn't recall why.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I was kind of hoping they would just ignore the Queen for the purposes of this show, but I didn't have a big problem with how it used that cannon element; it just felt like riffing on the established lore the same way they used plot points from Nemesis. It was dumb before, but for the purposes of this particular show, it's fine.

And I have a hard time believing Borg Queens will have anything to do with the story (at least in any sort of overly-predictable way) because so far the show has demonstrated little interest in doing the sort of Voyager-esque plots fans keep wrongly predicting.

I also have a feeling if Queens have anything to do with the story, it will just be like Spock in Discovery where everyone has a kneejerk reaction to go "that's so stupid," but then once it unfolds it's alright.

Yeah no, it was definitely a one-off lore reference.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey, maybe it was already discussed but did I miss a part of a previous episode where Seven's "calling card" was brought onboard the cube and dropped at some point? I felt like it was just there all of a sudden but couldn't recall why.

I don't think so. I just assumed Picard either dropped it or left it intentionally for Elnor and Hugh since they would probably need it more

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

To quote my very favorite line from Pinky and the Brain (can't find the video at the moment)

What an incredible stroke of contrivance!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

Mood watching this wonderful episode

I...didn't know Frakes and Sirtis could actually act. This was the strongest episode for me, just for the cabin stuff. Still not hooked on any other part of the story, but I was entertained.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why would the Queen need to report back via her physical body?

Who would she be reporting to?

The rest of the band.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Bubbacub posted:

I...didn't know Frakes and Sirtis could actually act. This was the strongest episode for me, just for the cabin stuff. Still not hooked on any other part of the story, but I was entertained.

I do believe that a lot of our feelings is that we're seeing people that many of us grew up watching, and haven't seen for 18 years, acting like a long lost family. That said, I completely agree with you, and I wish we got more of it, with everyone.

Possible spoilers for the countdown comic: I'm concerned about Geordi, though. Apparently he was the commanding officer of Utopia Planitia and personally led the charge for building/repurposing ships for the rescue armada, helping Picard, and was on the ground close to the time of the attack, according to those comics. I haven't read them, just getting recaps on youtube, but I'm assuming there's a strong possibility that he was killed in the attack, which could have led even more to Picard's 180 in attitude. Losing officers was always shown to hit hard, even though it's the nature of life on a starship, but Geordi is family.

I could be completely wrong though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MichiganCubbie posted:

I do believe that a lot of our feelings is that we're seeing people that many of us grew up watching, and haven't seen for 18 years, acting like a long lost family. That said, I completely agree with you, and I wish we got more of it, with everyone.

Possible spoilers for the countdown comic: I'm concerned about Geordi, though. Apparently he was the commanding officer of Utopia Planitia and personally led the charge for building/repurposing ships for the rescue armada, helping Picard, and was on the ground close to the time of the attack, according to those comics. I haven't read them, just getting recaps on youtube, but I'm assuming there's a strong possibility that he was killed in the attack, which could have led even more to Picard's 180 in attitude. Losing officers was always shown to hit hard, even though it's the nature of life on a starship, but Geordi is family.

I could be completely wrong though.

He's mentioned in the second episode of the show as alive though?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

evilmiera posted:

The rest of the band.

That be Björg, Borgy and Borgetha?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

It was fine when she was just an avatar for the collective (as Locutus was also) but then Voyager had her acting as an actual commander.

Locutus was still very much a Borg, the Queen acted just like a normal human lady with hosed up skin

Queen was a huge mistake, probably added in because Hollywood execs are the type to get nervous when there isn't a clear bad guy doing clearly bad guy things.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

I...didn't know Frakes and Sirtis could actually act.

Siritis had a bit part on Orville and it was really, really nice to see her and she was also actually good

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Nichael posted:

He's mentioned in the second episode of the show as alive though?

I missed that/forgot that. That's good!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I missed that/forgot that. That's good!

Be thankful he's not in it, or that'd mean his family exploded in a sentient phase inducer accident or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They already killed his mom in TNG

Did any character have both parents alive? Very Marvel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only main cast member that has not been mentioned at all is Beverly

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Locutus was still very much a Borg, the Queen acted just like a normal human lady with hosed up skin

Queen was a huge mistake, probably added in because Hollywood execs are the type to get nervous when there isn't a clear bad guy doing clearly bad guy things.

Yeah I meant that Locutus was obviously meant to be a mouthpiece for the collective and the Queen sort of worked similarly in First Contact.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

zoux posted:

They already killed his mom in TNG

Did any character have both parents alive? Very Marvel.

Worf has two alive parents. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

I...didn't know Frakes and Sirtis could actually act.

You have clearly not watched Gargoyles then :v:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MorgaineDax posted:

Worf has two alive parents. :colbert:

But also a dead Dad. Mom. Two loves of his life. And a brother who had to have all his memories erased to avoid suicide.

Worf really got hosed over in retrospect. Poor Worf.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Still holding out hope that it’s not a direct line from Romulans to Borg unless they really stick the landing with regards to what that means for Romulan / Vulcan / Borg history.

Everything else is so scattered, it seems like the next episode has to reconcile some of what the Romulan synth issue is, and how Oh has seen a synth apocalypse. My long shot theory is that it IS really a few independent AI problems:

* Oh (and Federation conspirators) knows about the Control future from Discovery, via someone melding with Spock, giving them reason to ally with anti-AI conspirators

* the Borg are a semi-active cybernetic threat that the Romulans are intentionally feeding mind-corrupted operatives, to cause the cubes to collapse; Romulans didn’t make them, they just hate them because...

* the proto-Romulans/Vulcans created AI, the AI took over and tried to optimize their society, to the point of genetically engineering their own creators’ species into having super strength, logically-ordered brains and a psychic interface with both machines and living creatures. The AI was defeated but the unmodified Romulans were driven off the planet by the now uncontrolled, dangerously violent AI-designed augments. Hundreds of years of war later, the Vulcans mastered their logical nature and became a functioning civilization again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

But also a dead Dad. Mom. Two loves of his life. And a brother who had to have all his memories erased to avoid suicide.

Worf really got hosed over in retrospect. Poor Worf.

Also his son is a wiener

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

zoux posted:

Also his son is a wiener

He really is, but apparently comes to fill a very important role on Klingon warships. That of comedic relief.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I have a feeling the Romulan/synth mystery won't have anything to do with the Borg or any other established lore and will just be its own thing.

Chabon seems to only care about established canon to the extent it allows him a jumping off point for something new. He doesn't seem interested in the beta canon-style "this is how the lore all ties together" sort of stuff.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 6, 2020

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC, individual Borg ships need to communicate with The Collective at regular intervals, likely via subspace or mini-transwarp relay conduit, or they go dormant.

So, if you're sending a sphere back through time where there weren't yet relays in that quadrant, you'd need some sort of plug-in, smaller version of the Collective to keep everything running smoothly.

Thus, the Borg Queen.

It's also why, failing the assasination of Cochrane and destruction of the sphere, their next move was to build a relay on the E to call in reinforcements.

Falls apart from there, though, as why not just go back to The Collective of Cochrane's time and swoop in with a fleet of cubes?

Anywho, queen makes sense in that context.

If that's true, then good news for Seven fans as that means she can reconnect with The Artifact and not lose her individuality as the Cube's relay is busted.

Descent had Rogue Borg...why not Borg Rangers? Yee haw.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zoux posted:

Also, you think anyone ever chooses life?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

Descent had Rogue Borg...why not Borg Rangers? Yee haw.

Some sort of big bad beetle Borg?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really hope the whole Romulan thing is some hilariously stupid overreaction, like v'ger clowned on a warbird once on its way to earth and getting owned so casually just completely broke their cultural opinion of robots

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine having Lwaxana as your grandmother.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I really enjoyed that, but then I'm someone spending his Friday evening posting in a Star Trek thread on an Internet forum in the year 2020.

It's yet another episode where nothing really happens, mind. It certainly doesn't suggest an uptick in the show or anything, all the problems are still there, but this episode was written specifically for people who've watched every episode of TNG numerous times, and I'M NOT CRYING IT'S THE PLANTS DAMMIT. I wouldn't blame anyone less invested in it for not enjoying it, and it was pure nostalgia bait, but it got me. Holy poo poo the chemistry between those three actors.

It also sorta unveils something interesting about why TNG did so much better than DS9 or Voyager at the time - as much as I loved DS9 in particular, I can't see me ever welling up at 'Sisko see's Kira again'.

That said, the warm fuzzy reunion is a card this show can play exactly once. The show has to live and die on it's own.

It's modern 'prestige' TV and therefore needs a surprise hook to get you to watch season two. My money was on them saving the android planet, Picard beaming down, and then OH poo poo DATA TURN TO CAMERA CUE CREDITS based on the line in the second episode about being able to reconstitute Data from a single neuron, but the line about Riker still being a reservist was such an obvious Chekov's gun, I'd be amazed if we don't now get a 'It's the Enterprise!' moment in the final battle that is blatantly obviously coming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really hope the whole Romulan thing is some hilariously stupid overreaction, like v'ger clowned on a warbird once on its way to earth and getting owned so casually just completely broke their cultural opinion of robots

"Our uniforms do not look like they came off the beds at a bad motel six you robot bastard, we'll never forget this"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Imagine having Lwaxana as your grandmother.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They finally get to the planet and...

IT'S PALPATINE! PALPATINE'S BEHIND IT ALL

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Commence :tinfoil: (not really)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is LeVar directing any eps, I know he's directed 29 ST episodes across all the series.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just out of curiosity, was the cure for Troi and Riker's kid supposed to be an embryonic stem cell analogy? Cause it seems pretty draconian and more like not allowing medical isotopes because of a general nuclear ban. Are the Federation kicking down the doors on non Federation worlds to enforce this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Just out of curiosity, was the cure for Troi and Riker's kid supposed to be an embryonic stem cell analogy? Cause it seems pretty draconian and more like not allowing medical isotopes because of a general nuclear ban. Are the Federation kicking down the doors on non Federation worlds to enforce this?

I think it was a not-well-thought-out attempt to remind the viewers of the synth ban. It's clumsy, but it'd be like going "we abolished nuclear enrichment in all forms on our planet but this cure can only be grown in an active reactor."