Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

except those games at least have the excuse of being 20 years old and working with much more complex 3D geometry than any other platformers at the time. Sonic Forces can’t make a flat road shaped like an S function correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pants Donkey posted:

Weird, I heard Forces is decent fun except A) the levels and game as a whole is too short, and B) Classic Sonic feels especially tacked on.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't know where you heard that.

That's pretty much exactly the opinion I have so

Forces is ok but the levels really feel undercooked. It's fun enough but really did have a lot more potential.

Dabir posted:

Forces is significantly better-made than Adventure or similar because you can actually play it from start to end.

This is wack tho

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

azurite posted:

Well thank you for making it. I laughed pretty hard.
I really appreciate it!

Dabir posted:

Forces is significantly better-made than Adventure or similar because you can actually play it from start to end. It's just that you wouldn't want to. It's just... it sure is a game that exists.
I’ve called the cops on you

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Augus posted:

one thing I definitely remember about Sonic Forces was how dogshit the controls are. Like, trying to turn right but the game says “no” and aggressively shoves you to the left into a pit

Don't forget how the avatar would start slow then suddenly lurch forward at speed and fire you into a pit.

Couldn't even get acceleration right. The gently caress happened with Forces.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think Forces is built from the Lost World engine, where Sonic didn’t have proper acceleration due to the run button. It seems like they tried to take a “shortcut” by having the characters switch between different levels of speed instead of it ramping up gradually, resulting in jarring, unnatural controls.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

people ITT forgetting just how bad the camera, geometry and enemies are in Adventure and 2, later levels of those games are actual torture to try and get through. forces never comes close to that level of bad, but it avoids that by never being interesting at all. there's no bullshit water blobs sniping you out of the air, so that's good! the egg pawns don't actually do anything but stand there waiting for you to boost through them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played Adventure like a week ago, it’s good.
You on the other hand must be forgetting about that loving autoscroller level in Forces

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
everyone calm down

both adventure and forces are bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

much like your posts!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Augus posted:

much like your posts!

:spooky:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played the first two game gear games this week and let me tell ya...

the first one is actually pretty okay? the physics are slow and kinda weird but i mean that makes sense since it's on a tiny screen. the level design is alright and the color palette is lovely, especially in the special zone. bosses are a complete joke but overall the game is really cute

sonic 2 game gear, however, takes all of that and throws it in the gosh dang garbage

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

now play sonic blast

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Boring is worse than outright bad.

Re: the GG games, should have played the Master System versions. Sonic 2 is actually playable when you can see in front of you.

Now, Sonic Blast could be the Actual Worst Sonic game, ever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

now play sonic blast

I've got blast, labyrinth, chaos, drift 2, triple trouble, and tails' adventure ready to go this weekend. dang there was a lot of sonic on the game gear

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Re: the GG games, should have played the Master System versions. Sonic 2 is actually playable when you can see in front of you.

eh i wanted to play the version that kicked my rear end as a child lol. but i don't think a larger screen would've fixed the bad level design, made the bosses fun, or made the hang glider mechanic good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Even with how much it’s aged, Adventure is still a much better game than Forces. Forces really sucked and it didn’t even in an enjoyable way like most other bad Sonic games.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even with how much it’s aged, Adventure is still a much better game than Forces. Forces really sucked and it didn’t even in an enjoyable way like most other bad Sonic games.

Forces had very little passion behind it. Maybe some of the asset creators and musicians were into it, but the level designers and writers weren't at all.

Meanwhile Sonic Team was clearly very passionate when they made Adventure.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arguing over which Sonic game is bad or not... It's like the early 2000s all over again. :allears:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hah, like that ever stopped being a thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sonic 1 and 2 SMS were my first videogames period, and I have so much fondness for the second one. It's such a weird game, and the music sounds almost dystopian, but I adore it, like a child that's really trying hard.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I like Forces better than Mania, because I can hang out with my best bud Sonic in Forces, whereas I don't like Sonic 3 so half of Mania is just lost on me.

Mods?!

I like 2006 more then Forces because at least some funny LPs have come out of it. Also Shadow kicks Silver in the head.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Wait, I remembered an actually great moment in Sonic Forces: when Shadow combos Infinite into submission, he does the same moves he did in the Shadow The Hedgehog intro movie.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oxyclean posted:

Mods?!

I like 2006 more then Forces because at least some funny LPs have come out of it. Also Shadow kicks Silver in the head.

Shadow kicks Infinite's rear end so badly in Forces he gets consumed into the dark side by jealousy and teenage angst and becomes the absolute best Sonic character in the series with a theme song by a band known for their song "Kill Everything."

Sonic Forces has the passion of a teenage fanfiction writer given the power to make his ultimate video game, complete with an edgy story, edgier characters, all his favorite callbacks, create-a-creator who is best friends with Sonic by the end, and even a bullshit "this is the dinosaur that eats force field dogs" Wisp that lets you skip half the level and then obliterate anything that moves.

It's so good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Too bad Infinite went out on such a wet fart and instead we got “Egg Nega Wisp but in Chrome” for the final boss

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Forces is the school project you hammered together the night before, but it's at least finished enough that the teacher has to grudgingly give you a C.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was pretty annoyed that Eggman taking over the world was off screen and shown only in text. That should have been a glorious moment to watch.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ya my impression of forces was that they spent a very long time trying to figure out what they wanted the game to even be and by the time they did they didnt have any time left

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the movie coming out got me to do a retrospective of the series and honestly I'm looking forward to forces more than lost world if only for the character creation

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Looper posted:

i played the first two game gear games this week and let me tell ya...

the first one is actually pretty okay? the physics are slow and kinda weird but i mean that makes sense since it's on a tiny screen. the level design is alright and the color palette is lovely, especially in the special zone. bosses are a complete joke but overall the game is really cute

sonic 2 game gear, however, takes all of that and throws it in the gosh dang garbage

The first 8-bit Sonic game is pretty interesting. It feels like the team got a few notes but didn’t have much communication with Sonic Team so they ended up making something closer to Mario than Sonic.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Adventure gets a lot of bonus points in my book for introducing my favourite and third-favourite characters in the entire franchise. I'll leave it to you guys to work out who they are.

(Second-favourite is Robotnik)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 6, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

J-Spot posted:

The first 8-bit Sonic game is pretty interesting. It feels like the team got a few notes but didn’t have much communication with Sonic Team so they ended up making something closer to Mario than Sonic.

for sure. first an autoscroller, then a vertical level with minimal speed, then a level you can basically skip if you find the hidden platform behind the start. it's a weird game but i liked it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paul.Power posted:

Adventure gets a lot of bonus points in my book for introducing my favourite and third-favourite characters in the entire franchise. I'll leave it to you guys to work out who they are.

Gamma and Chaos, total easy mode question

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Paul.Power posted:

Burger Statue Man is obviously in first place but honestly I'm suprised Froggy only made third.

real answer: first place is gamma right? Third place Big? Maybe tikal? Theres not a ton of new memorable characters in Aventure honestly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamma and big are real good but it's obviously beta mk2 and the unionising rail workers

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Looper posted:

for sure. first an autoscroller, then a vertical level with minimal speed, then a level you can basically skip if you find the hidden platform behind the start. it's a weird game but i liked it

Please elaborate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sounds like Scrap Brain 3 in the MD Sonic 1.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Please elaborate.

act 2 of sky base zone. there's a floating platform kinda hidden behind the start that takes you through a pretty chill sequence of slow moving platforms and the zone's chaos emerald. i have no idea what the actual level looks like lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All you fake gamers forgetting Tails and the Music Maker and Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld on the Pico smdh

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SXSW was cancelled so whatever was planned for Sonic is probably frantically being rescheduled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macaluso posted:

All you fake gamers forgetting Tails and the Music Maker and Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld on the Pico smdh

How about Wacky Worlds for the Genesis with the genesis mouse attachment?