Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I mean, not everyone has access to an aircraft carrier when they want to see what happens to a wire cable when it fails under tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is that a redneck attempt at straightening a frame?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

It's not a mechanical failure but there's certainly enough potential here for a disaster. Click for big.

I replied with "Oh gently caress no you are absolutely mental. I wouldn't be within 100 feet of that death contraption."

What in the world? Is he trying to straighten out the frame?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I can tell, the goal seems to be to push the driver's side framerail outward, using the connection to the tree to hold the other side in place and prevent it from just bending instead.

It seems like it could possibly work, but there are a lot of parts in that equation that'll be storing energy and just looking for a place to let it go so I wouldn't want to be near it when in use.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

wolrah posted:

As far as I can tell, the goal seems to be to push the driver's side framerail outward, using the connection to the tree to hold the other side in place and prevent it from just bending instead.

It seems like it could possibly work, but there are a lot of parts in that equation that'll be storing energy and just looking for a place to let it go so I wouldn't want to be near it when in use.

Precisely.

MomJeans420 posted:

Is that a redneck attempt at straightening a frame?

A redneck with a law degree, mind you.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 5, 2020

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fixing a bent frame?

Edit, need to refresh the page sometimes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

1) stick a pair of 2x4s into the frame rail
2) push it with another vehicle

when that doesn't work:

3) take to a shop with a proper frame machine.

I've pulled out rad supports using a tree & chain only, finishing the final adjustment with a come-along.

Big chain only, no rope. You dingdong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beach Bum posted:

It's not a mechanical failure but there's certainly enough potential here for a disaster. Click for big.

I replied with "Oh gently caress no you are absolutely mental. I wouldn't be within 100 feet of that death contraption."

Apparently he's never seen the first five minutes of "Ghost Ship".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

It seems like it could possibly work, but there are a lot of parts in that equation that'll beSt storing energy and just looking for a place to let it go so I wouldn't want to be near it when in use.

Stand on the roof with a cheater bar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The more I look...geesus. HF type clamps holding up a 1/4 for the jack.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Vehicle owner wasn't present. Insurance fraud, mechanical failure in combo with panic, stolen truck, or something else?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Vehicle owner wasn't present. Insurance fraud, mechanical failure in combo with panic, stolen truck, or something else?

When I was in high-school back in 04 we did that with a car we bought from the Quokka for $150. We were trying to take it out bush for some hooning but the engine exploded so we pushed it into a ditch and set off some nang -bombs inside. Then we went to the foreshore to get drunk on cask wine.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
What language is that?

I think I got the gist of it but yeesh

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

When I was in high-school back in 04 we did that with a car we bought from the Quokka for $150. We were trying to take it out bush for some hooning but the engine exploded so we pushed it into a ditch and set off some nang -bombs inside. Then we went to the foreshore to get drunk on cask wine.

Is this convict-speak Australian?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah if you're stupid and can't work poo poo out from context:
  • hooning: burnouts and driving fast in a car
  • Quokka: Craigslist but it's a paper you buy for $2
  • Nang-bombs: those nitrous-oxide canisters you get high on, take one and pack sparkler scrapings around it in a shell with tin-foil, then put a sparkler in the top as a fuse. light it, nos canister detonates like 2-3 seconds later

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yes, other people are stupid, that's the problem.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

• Nang-bombs: those nitrous-oxide canisters you get high on, take one and pack sparkler scrapings around it in a shell with tin-foil, then put a sparkler in the top as a fuse. light it, nos canister detonates like 2-3 seconds later

Never heard of either of these but ok guess I'm stupid :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've heard of Quokka, and that's roughly how I understood it (I'm not sure I knew it was a paper rather than a website ... maybe it's a website now, but was a paper then?).

I suspect the "nitrous oxide canisters (you) get high on" rather explain the rest, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Yeah if you're stupid and can't work poo poo out from context:
  • hooning: burnouts and driving fast in a car

:australia:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

I've heard of Quokka, and that's roughly how I understood it (I'm not sure I knew it was a paper rather than a website ... maybe it's a website now, but was a paper then?).

I suspect the "nitrous oxide canisters (you) get high on" rather explain the rest, though.

"Whippits", and this is literally the first time I've ever heard of anyone making a bomb out of one. But huffing nitrous kills brain cells, so...

Hooning, we don't need explained to us, thanks.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Tbh quokka sounds more like some weird australian animal, not aussie craigslist (that's gumtree, isn't it?).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Arguing with a Pile of Garbage looks a lot like Grandpa Simpson yelling at a cloud

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ryanrs posted:

Tbh quokka sounds more like some weird australian animal, not aussie craigslist (that's gumtree, isn't it?).

A quokka actually is an animal. It's a marsupial the size of a cat.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

A quokka actually is an animal. It's a marsupial the size of a cat.

The marsupial had truck for sale??

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

"Whippits", and this is literally the first time I've ever heard of anyone making a bomb out of one. But huffing nitrous kills brain cells, so...

Hooning, we don't need explained to us, thanks.
Oh, agreed, I've heard of Whippits (and hooning).

I also think it's funny that he skipped "out bush", "foreshore", and "cask wine". Because THOSE are perfectly common non-Australianisms.

tactlessbastard posted:

Apparently for 150 quid!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Darchangel posted:

But huffing nitrous kills brain cells, so...
It does not, the worst thing that happens in normal use is vitamin A deficiency. Unless you manage to get yourself stuck in a bag or seal up a room or something else that suffocates you.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

:stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

Oh, agreed, I've heard of Whippits (and hooning).

I also think it's funny that he skipped "out bush", "foreshore", and "cask wine". Because THOSE are perfectly common non-Australianisms.
Apparently for 150 quid!

I thought quid were British Shekels?

taqueso posted:

It does not, the worst thing that happens in normal use is vitamin A deficiency. Unless you manage to get yourself stuck in a bag or seal up a room or something else that suffocates you.

So when the article I linked says it damages the brain and nervous system, what do you think they mean? Granted, I suppose it’s possible to damage the brain with an inhalant without killing brain cells, somehow.

Actually, I don’t really care. It was mainly a half-joke. Maybe 1/4-joke.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
With any inhalant, you can damage your brain by oxygen deprivation if you aren't dosing it properly, but I'm sure that if you're huffing nitrous oxide you're making sure to do the math and keep track of your intake

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

tactlessbastard posted:

I assumed that Quokka was a racist term for Australian natives.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm Australian and never heard of Quokka.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think I had Quokka for dinner last night.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I googled the quokka and its cute af. Would buy a car from one any time

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I've heard some wild stories about their website. Apparently it was developed by the Australian version of Radium and is just completely cooked.

Crankit posted:

I googled the quokka and its cute af. Would buy a car from one any time

They're adorable. Here in WA the Quokka's have a whole island (Rottnest) all to themselves however it's lousy with tourists. Also we keep having to throw shitheads in prison for abusing them ("Quokka Soccer" was in the papers for a while a few years ago).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

With any inhalant, you can damage your brain by oxygen deprivation if you aren't dosing it properly, but I'm sure that if you're huffing nitrous oxide you're making sure to do the math and keep track of your intake

I'd call that touching faith in human nature given the content of this thread and TCC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Apparently he's never seen the first five minutes of "Ghost Ship".

I think only about 15 people globally did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Krakkles posted:

Apparently for 150 quid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4BjivBHVo&t=20s

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Apparently for 150 quid!
You're mixing up your slang, the Thieves Cant for money is "dollarydoos". https://www.change.org/p/change-the-australian-currency-name-to-dollarydoos

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Fair dinks, sparkler bombs were pretty common when I was a dumbarse young teen. Used to take off down the local scrub with some mates and set off a box or two's worth. Fucken good times. You didn't need cream bulbs for them either, just the regular soda bulbs you can get at woolies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Godholio posted:

I think only about 15 people globally did.

Sadly, I have. :negative: