Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who played Black Mesa back in around 2012 when it was released without Xen, is it worth checking it out again? Have they updated the rest of the game or did it just take them 8 years to try and un-gently caress Xen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Putting the "king" in walking simulator.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aphex- posted:

As someone who played Black Mesa back in around 2012 when it was released without Xen, is it worth checking it out again? Have they updated the rest of the game or did it just take them 8 years to try and un-gently caress Xen?

They probably did a lot of work I didn’t notice but as far as actual gameplay and levels are concerned:

They expanded the Surface Tension level which was cut way back in the initial release. One of the devs put a mod on the Steam Workshop of the extended levels but it was officially integrated into the game some time ago.

There’s another mod which extends the On a Rail level (the electric train in the underground). It isn’t as official and was integrated into the release but it was also done by one of the devs and is still good if you liked that part of the original.

Xen is still most of the work though. However it has been extended to be another 1/4 of the game and a ton of it is brand new, not just a remake of old locations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Aphex- posted:

Yeah there have been quite a few minor updates and polish, and the Surface Tension stuff which is good. I’d say if you haven’t played it in 7-8 years definitely dive in again. The Xen parts are very much worth it, and it’s not exactly a chore to play through the Earthside part.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That's good to know, thanks! I probably will play through it again, HL1 is one of my all time favs so it's always cool to revisit it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Apparently they discovered a "game breaking" bug at last minute so final release has been pushed back again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know what depresses me more: that Koei-Tecmo games are so expensive, that so many of the newer games seem to be in a poor state (reviews for them seem to tend to be in the negative), or that many of the older games are not in English.

Expensive: they are. Thankfully they tend to go on irregular sales (like now) that bring them to the 20-30$ range which is low enough for a "yeah okay I'll play it" buy.
Poor state: I wish I knew what was up with that, because you'd think they'd be good at making games by now! That said, I do know some of the review bombs are due to the insane DLC schemes - ever look at Dynasty Warriors 9? That's ludicrous.
Not in English: This makes me sad too. :(

As an aside, the Atelier games are doing better than ever, and it seems like Koei is just leaving that team alone so it can keep making hits.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Personally I like them charging DoA6 fans $1 per hair color change now, just in case there were people left who didn't figure out Koei Tecmo are all about ripping off customers first and foremost when they started releasing $90 costume packs with DoA5.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s a good thing DoA6 is a 1 vs 1 game, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell the ladies apart if you changed hair colors. I mean, they all have wedding dresses, playboy bunny costumes. and sexy santa outfits.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s a good thing DoA6 is a 1 vs 1 game, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell the ladies apart if you changed hair colors. I mean, they all have wedding dresses, playboy bunny costumes. and sexy santa outfits.

You can tell them apart by the way their boobs jiggle.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

orcane posted:

Personally I like them charging DoA6 fans $1 per hair color change now, just in case there were people left who didn't figure out Koei Tecmo are all about ripping off customers first and foremost when they started releasing $90 costume packs with DoA5.

They're not pulling the hair color poo poo on the PC version for some reason. I can't imagine why.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

haldolium posted:

Apparently they discovered a "game breaking" bug at last minute so final release has been pushed back again.

They wrote that the current build is the 1.0 but they will keep the game in Early Access for a bit more since they had to build it four times in one day fixing last minute bugs and the aforementioned severe crash...

A Black Mesa Dev posted:

1.0 is indeed live, but we have not taken the game out of Early Access yet. During our rigorous testing in the 12 hour meeting last night (during which we pushed 4 full builds and tested the entire game each time!), we found a crash in MP that kills the server and is 100% reproducible.

We are going to fix that and push out a tiny patch with that fix. Then we will take the game out of Early Access.

Apart from this MP fix, 1.0 is out and released on the main branch.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/362890/discussions/0/1755779919117307454/?ctp=10#c1755779919118132656

I mean, it could have gone better.

There's a thread on the Steam forums that the game crashes for some after the last update, so I'd expect that the developers will take some extra time to fix the new bugs. (edit: workaround for this is to run the game with -"oldgameui" switch)

I'll probably wait until Easter holidays anyway, and will check its state then. Hope that it will be stabilized by that time.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 6, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Everspace 2's EA launch is getting pushed back due to GDC's cancellation.
https://www.pcgamer.com/everspace-2-early-access-has-been-delayed-due-to-gdcs-postponement/

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There's a new Amnesia title coming in Fall 2020, Amnesia: Rebirth for PC and PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiQAlGUw_o

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AbstractNapper posted:

There's a new Amnesia title coming in Fall 2020, Amnesia: Rebirth for PC and PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiQAlGUw_o

I was a little surprised to see that they're going back to Amnesia instead of coming up with a new property, but I remember reading that Soma didn't sell as well as they'd thought it would initially so I guess it's a a safer bet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kingdom management RPG Yes Your Grace is out!

quote:

In this kingdom management RPG, petitioners will arrive in the throne room each turn to ask for your advice and assistance. Decide whether to help them with their problems, or to conserve resources for more important matters. Remember: supplies are limited, and not everyone has the kingdom’s best interests at heart...
Listen to petitioners each turn and decide who needs your support.
Aid your family with their personal problems and decide upon their fate.
Hire Generals, Witches and Hunters to aid your efforts.
Prepare for battle and make alliances by satisfying the whims of lords and kings.
Follow the stories of the quirky and determined characters that visit your halls.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell yeah dude

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
It's just not the same without the doctored screenshots of carefully placed units and non existent lighting effects that EA put out

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baller Time posted:

It's just not the same without the doctored screenshots of carefully placed units and non existent lighting effects that EA put out

Red Alert 2's bullshots were stupendous! :allears:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
I've been enjoying black mesa a lot so far (still haven't got to Xen) but jesus what a slog that section with the conveyer belts is ('residue processing' I think)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not a great month for Humble Choice IMO, buncha games here on XGP PC

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Humble choice this month:

My Friend Pedro
Planet Coaster + 1 DLC
F1 2019 Anniversary Edition
Fell Seal
Battlechasers
EXAPUNKS
Turok
Death's Gambit
198X
Nifelheim
AI WAR 2
Etherborn

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have no idea what any of the games in the bottom row are.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yea that's a rough month. Planet Coaster as the main draw is not bad, but I'm all simmed out after Two Point Hospital and the packing peanuts are uh :unsmith:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Holy gently caress I haven't hit pause on a Humble Monthly as fast as I did just now. Abysmal.

EDIT: I actually am kinda glad you can see all the things you'll be getting now because holy poo poo I would be angry indeed if I were "surprised" with any of these titles.

Givin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 6, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AI War 2 is a pretty neat RTS/tower defense/hybrid THING that I like, it's worth a look!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Givin posted:

Holy gently caress I haven't hit pause on a Humble Monthly as fast as I did just now. Abysmal.

EDIT: I actually am kinda glad you can see all the things you'll be getting now because holy poo poo I would be angry indeed if I were "surprised" with any of these titles.

You're being pretty harsh, I think. Planet Coaster, Fell Seal, and Exapunks are all games on my wishlist that I want to play.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Sigh, I just bought Planet Coaster last week as the star deal on Fanatical.
Oh well, add me to the list of goons that have done this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Well I'm glad I didn't pick up Fell Seal earlier this week.

Are there any straight up bad games in this batch?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I was about to buy fell seal last week!

Looks like a great bundle to me, just for that, planet coaster and exapunks.

Did not like turok back in the n64 but hey, that is neat

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Battle Chasers Nightwar is a nice little rpg, albeit somewhat too slow-paced cause a lot of the enemies feel like huge damage sponges and you fight a ton of them

(also the title is really painful)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is GOG's site really hosed up for anyone else? It's a giant jumbled mess for me right now and I can't log in. I'm not sure if the website is broke or it's some new and very bad design.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Exapunks is the best game in that bundle by a mile

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

Well I'm glad I didn't pick up Fell Seal earlier this week.

Are there any straight up bad games in this batch?

Turok, kinda? I doubt it holds up but I’m also very much looking forwards to giving it a spin for the first time in 20 years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Reviews on steam say etherborn is 4 hours or less of pleasant puzzling, so skip if that's not your thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Turok, kinda? I doubt it holds up but I’m also very much looking forwards to giving it a spin for the first time in 20 years.

if it still has exploding arrows and dudes that go "GWOCKACHEECHEE--OOGUM KWAUGH--ABOO UWAAUuuuugh guh" when you headshot them, then it still holds up

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

sauer kraut posted:

Yea that's a rough month. Planet Coaster as the main draw is not bad, but I'm all simmed out after Two Point Hospital and the packing peanuts are uh :unsmith:

My Friend Pedro is probably the main draw since the cheapest it's ever been is $12.

$10 is the cheapest for exapunks, this is a good month if you're on the classic plan. People should try playing games and genres they typically wouldn't pay for, breadth helps appreciation. Although I say this with zero interest in f1.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

if it still has exploding arrows and dudes that go "GWOCKACHEECHEE--OOGUM KWAUGH--ABOO UWAAUuuuugh guh" when you headshot them, then it still holds up

Someone already took this key.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Griefor posted:

Someone already took this key.

- is the number of hairs on Geralt's sixth left toe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

AI War 2 is a pretty neat RTS/tower defense/hybrid THING that I like, it's worth a look!

Oh, thanks for the headsup, I thought that was the first AI War which I already have.

I took Planet Coaster for the DLC but already have the game:
00964-05C_L-9VHPH