Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as far as I can tell the only major difference between the E82 and E92 is size. and as a 6'2" dude, the E82 is really not a practical option

I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I fit in an E82 fine. The backseat isn't really usable, but that's pretty much always the case. I'd say the E92 has a slightly better interior but not really worth how porky the car is compared to a 1 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the e82 looks like an e46 that got in a low speed accident and then was hit from behind

still looks better than the e92 tho

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'm 6' and have plenty of leg space in my E82.

Dick space, however...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
BMW ownership pros: quality, performance, community

BMW ownership cons: jeers, cost, priapism

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the e82 looks like an e46 that got in a low speed accident and then was hit from behind

This is extremely correct

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yep. E92 rear looks great but the front looks terrible. E82 is better looking overall.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bmw coupes have always looked weird to me, the doors look really long and there is a bunch of quarter panel with glass above it

sedan / wagon supremacy

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
E90 sedan looks way better than the E92 coupe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

beanieson posted:

agreed, the e92 looks kind of like a sebring in profile

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

bmw coupes have always looked weird to me, the doors look really long and there is a bunch of quarter panel with glass above it

sedan / wagon supremacy

Uh what about the e30 m3??? :colbert:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

M3 styling rankings go E30 > E46 > E90 > E36(sedan) > E92 > E36(coupe) > Fwhatever........ and then way down to the right is the new Big Grills M3

Note the lack of convertibles because there are no M convertibles.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

sedan / wagon supremacy

Yup. 1 series was is and will always continue to be ugly with weird proportions especially around the trunk. The 318ti of the 00s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beanieson posted:

the e90 looks like melted dogshit

you guys are insane saying the e92 looks bad, its one of the most classic automotive designs, theres a reason detailers and some dealers still commonly use the e92 in signage. its the best looking bmw that's come out since the e9x generation and one of the best looking cars ever. the e90 was ugly even when it came out and the emergency facelift only marginally improved it

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just a good ol violation

104 in a 70. Pace maneuver by an unmarked car that was several hundred feed in front of me. Oops!

Luckily this county lets you pay down your clocked speed at $50 per MPH

In our republic of CALIFORNIA that would have been go directly to jail time

The fact that he was leading you should be argued as entrapment.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I was gonna say, in CA anything triple digits or double the limit is reckless endangerment and automatic go to jail AFAIK. So far I haven’t gotten popped for either but I generally don’t cruise at more than 95 and that’s rare that traffic allows anyway.

I did get stopped in my old E34 for doing 95 in a 65 but the cop wrote it for 85. Still cost a grip and that was my fourth point so I had to beg a judge to let me only have license probation for a year. I bought a Volvo 245 auto and drove the wheels off it and never cracked the speed limit. I think flat out she did 85-90.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

In our republic of CALIFORNIA that would have been go directly to jail time

The fact that he was leading you should be argued as entrapment.

Difficult to argue entrapment when the car is unmarked, you would need some fantastic future goggles to be able to know it was a cop before he let you in on the secret

If he came from behind and was pushing to go faster, that's a bit easier I believe to argue

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I got ticketed for going 95 in a 65 once. Most impressive part was that it was in a 1989 Toyota Corolla. Who would have thunk it could achieve near triple digit speeds

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-BMW-2002-d1266#listing=252039795

quote:

BMW 2002 M2 TRIBUTE! This BMW 2002 is the holy grail of BMW motor swaps, with the legendary S-14 E30 M3 motor planted in the iconic light-weight 2002 matted to a 5 speed Getrag close ratio transmission.

hnnnnnnnnf

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Yep. E92 rear looks great but the front looks terrible. E82 is better looking overall.

I have always thought the E92 rear looked bad from the side. The rear wheel well always looked too small to my eye.

That shrinking to a 1/2 series dimensions fixes this.

Speeding chat. In AZ they are trying to pass a law that north of 85 would not be criminal speeding, so on our 75mph highways you could go 95 and get a $250 fine. Anything 10mph and under would cost $15 and not be reflected on your license.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 6, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of the E30, are there any things that make the 318 (not S) worth anywhere close to what the 6 cylinder ones are worth? Maybe better weight distribution?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the m42 weighs less and doesnt extend out as far as the m20 but the 325 is the better car, no question

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

Speeding chat. In AZ they are trying to pass a law that north of 85 would not be criminal speeding, so on our 75mph highways you could go 95 and get a $250 fine. Anything 10mph and under would cost $15 and not be reflected on your license.
I got two of those 10+ years ago, they seemed like a money grab to me more than anything. You show up in court and they offer you what I seem to remember was something like a $500 fine plus $200 8hr traffic survival school class and points.

Everyone already does 80 on the 101, so no risk of the criminal speeding and it is going to get ridiculous.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

does the car tramline (pull into the dips in the road) with force or wander on a flat road? look at the lollipop bushings.

I really thought about the driving feel today day during my commute to work and the car definitely exhibits those characteristics. The car doesn't tramline enough to pull the front end into most dips but the car will turn into the rumblestrip going down the highway at speed and the front end is pretty loose at speed. I'll check those bushings out, I'll replace them if they're worn. Admittedly without doing any research on my end do you have any recommendations for replacements?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you go with something like poly or delrin they will transmit a ton of vibration/noise into the car, one of my E46es had the Treehouse Racing delrin ones and it was ridiculous. Not worth.
If you want to spend some more money, the Z4M bushings are a nice OEM upgrade since they are stiffer and add some caster.

Anyway, I suggest Lemforder. You may want to just do the control arms at the same time. Anyway, wheel balance check first, but if that is fine, it can also be a tire.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I believe Lemforder is the OES on my E39, anyway.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

If you go with something like poly or delrin they will transmit a ton of vibration/noise into the car, one of my E46es had the Treehouse Racing delrin ones and it was ridiculous. Not worth.
If you want to spend some more money, the Z4M bushings are a nice OEM upgrade since they are stiffer and add some caster.

Anyway, I suggest Lemforder. You may want to just do the control arms at the same time. Anyway, wheel balance check first, but if that is fine, it can also be a tire.

Thanks for the Z4M suggestion. I'm definitely looking to put OEM+ replacements on the car. I'm not looking to build the car into a track toy yet, I've got the Miata for that. Just want to use parts that will improve the ride quality and handling without turning the car into an unenjoyable experience on the road like my Miata is.

I'll probably replace the FCAB and RCAB bushings as well. What's everyone's thoughts on rogue engineering's replacements?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think the general consensus for RTABs is that you want a rubber bushing there, otherwise you get weird handling characteristics since the rear suspension was designed with the deflection in mind (more aggressive grip level changes). Some weird BMW term in german like elastomer kinematics

Z4M is an upgrade here too, you can also add delrin limiters. Lemforder again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of the E30, are there any things that make the 318 (not S) worth anywhere close to what the 6 cylinder ones are worth? Maybe better weight distribution?

The four cylinder E30's have better weight distribution and handling than the i6 ones already. "Worth" are you talking resale value? In that case not really, a base 318i isn't very desirable for anything other than a good basic commuter.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

To be fair, that's still on the concept, though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
but a lot of people have weird ideas about sales prices when it comes to 318iSesesessesss and they're all hitting the crack pipe. they're fun cars but the "baby m3" poo poo is a lie

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

To be fair, that's still on the concept, though

I hate it. Really hope it doesn’t make it to production.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The i4 is...not good folks. You hate to see it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Crunchy Black posted:

The i4 is...not good folks. You hate to see it.

Have you looked at the ~sick~ rim inlays yet?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Diametunim posted:

I really thought about the driving feel today day during my commute to work and the car definitely exhibits those characteristics. The car doesn't tramline enough to pull the front end into most dips but the car will turn into the rumblestrip going down the highway at speed and the front end is pretty loose at speed. I'll check those bushings out, I'll replace them if they're worn. Admittedly without doing any research on my end do you have any recommendations for replacements?

rosejoints

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tie rods ends, for us in murca

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You sick little freaks call them Heim joints apparently. Disgusting.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The prior owner of my 228i had it de-badged which is apparently an open challenge to race VWs and Subaru’s. I thought about asking the dealer to rebadge it while I was negotiating.

To me de-badging is just an elaborate way to advertise you have the smallest engine the car comes with. :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

debadging is a clean look, but if I ever put the 3-stage intake on my 328, i might just put 330i badges on it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

at least for euros it either means you are driving either the shittiest one or the fanciest one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have the e9x m3 peeling steering wheel issue. Looks like a new trim piece is only $120 (see https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3450-m3-steering-wheel-trim-front-fascia-e9x-e8x-with-sport-wheel/). Videos make removing/replacing the trim really easy. Can I do this myself?