Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

remember when the advantage of apple was that they didn't sell any "bad" products? i remember.

no, i can't say that i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i expect a new imac pro

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
im gonna have to turn into a mac pro-stitute to pay for one with these prices *rolls eyes hugely while tugging at collar and mopping sweat from brow with a handkerchief*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
boy i tell ya apple prices are so steep that I roll right back down 'em!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but seriously folks, seriously, apple products really aren't that expensive. In mean in comparison, the f-35 program cost like two or three mac pros

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
it does less, it costs more, it's that simple

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

they will update the iMac Pro when Mac Pro sales fall off a desk, which should be right about now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just utterly expect to be nothing but let down, even in spite of already low expectations, that apple will never again make a product I actually want, rather than something which may be the least bad

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The weight of timb's sins bears down on him. At this point it's hard for him to get up in the morning, let alone put working keyboards in the laptops

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I just utterly expect to be nothing but let down, even in spite of already low expectations, that apple will never again make a product I actually want, rather than something which may be the least bad

it's only been 5 years

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Management posted:

they will update the iMac Pro when Mac Pro sales fall off a cliff, which should be right about now.

There's not any newer Xeons that could go into it that aren't already spoken for in cheesegrater II Mac Pros

Unless they somehow shove in dual processors that they couldn't even fit into the cheesegraters which already have a 1 KW power supply

or make the iMac Pro thickerer by making it pregnant and shooting up two middle fingers in johnny ivie's direction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the imac "pro" needs video inputs so you can use it as a monitor and a user accessible m2 slot imo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
apple should review each of their products on a regular basis by asking "who is this product made for and why would they buy it?"

examples where this would have helped:

- the two port macbook pro (versus the four port macbook pro and the macbook air)
- the imac pro after the mac pro was released
- the homepod

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the imac pro is a fine product let down by intel atm. the mac pro is the dumb one of the two.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

apple should review each of their products on a regular basis by asking "who is this product made for and why would they buy it?"

- the two port macbook pro (versus the four port macbook pro and the macbook air)
- the homepod

As far as I can tell, all of these products are from the 'bad old days' when Apple hadn't formed their Pro Workflow team and it still was jony ive uber alles

The Pro Workflow team is responsible for the 16-inch rMBP and the current cheesegrater Mac Pro. Supposedly made up of industry pros who do stuff like look for the 'pain points' of current Mac workflows and try to ease them by influencing the hardware teams.

They supposedly sit across from the hardware engineers and can actually enforce issues, unlike before when some guy with a British accent probably just shot down every suggestion with 'not my idea' and that was that

gonna have to agree with the Verge's review of the new cheesegrater and say that Apple's been out of the game too loving long, and the trashcan was literally a shot into their own foot; the new MP is a vast improvement over the trashcan, but the damage it caused is still ongoing

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 6, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the 16 inch mbp is a great computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pls tell the pro workflow team that their name is stupid thx

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

16 inch is too large for a laptop. I'm sorry for this harsh view

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Binary Badger posted:

The Pro Workflow team is responsible for the 16-inch rMBP and the current cheesegrater Mac Pro. Supposedly made up of industry pros who do stuff like look for the 'pain points' of current Mac workflows and try to ease them by influencing the hardware teams.

They supposedly sit across from the hardware engineers and can actually enforce issues, unlike before when some guy with a British accent probably just shot down every suggestion with 'not my idea' and that was that

lol if you believe any of this.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

- the homepod

i keep forgetting the homepod exists

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

or make the iMac Pro thickerer by making it pregnant

im listening

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

As far as I can tell, all of these products are from the 'bad old days' when Apple hadn't formed their Pro Workflow team and it still was jony ive uber alles

gonna have to agree with the Verge's review of the new cheesegrater and say that Apple's been out of the game too loving long, and the trashcan was literally a shot into their own foot; the new MP is a vast improvement over the trashcan, but the damage it caused is still ongoing

when your pain points are almost entirely self inflicted wounds, eg no ports, bad keyboard, no physical escape key, you shouldn't need a swat team of industry pros to figure out how to fix it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

- the homepod

my understanding is the homepod was a back burner project for years and years but it never really got the love it needed and I'm sure upper management was just like "we need a speaker idiots can yell at, NOW"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

my understanding is the homepod was a back burner project for years and years but it never really got the love it needed and I'm sure upper management was just like "we need a speaker idiots can yell at, NOW"
it always struck me as a purely defensive product, rushed out in a panic because alexa and google home were sewing up the entire voice-appliance market and apple wanted to make sure it wasnt entirely shut out

blessed stebe would have shitcanned it before it was released on two grounds: 1 ) it was a me-too product that didnt fit in with apples long range product plan (back when apple had such a thing), and 2) actually using it was miserable for the consumer because siri is so far behind the curve

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

when your pain points are almost entirely self inflicted wounds, eg no ports, bad keyboard, no physical escape key, you shouldn't need a swat team of industry pros to figure out how to fix it

they certainly don’t listen to the engineers who have been constantly calling these out. so it’s either bring in experts that management will believe, or do the usual process of waiting for the bad press and customer backlash to figure it out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

the imac "pro" needs video inputs so you can use it as a monitor and a user accessible m2 slot imo

iMac Pro 660AV

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

management spending an assload of money to listen to someone new tell them the exact same thing the long term employees have been saying for years is a well established business practice. usually it is a consulting company but a new division works too I guess.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
homepod is indubitably a better quality article than the other home spying devices, but it turns out "quality" wasn't what consumers were looking for when they buy a government listening device for their home

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

homepod is indubitably a better quality article than the other home spying devices, but it turns out "quality" wasn't what consumers were looking for when they buy a government listening device for their home

also invoking quality is a dangerous game in that space since really good sounding speakers are actually not that expensive

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

16 inch is too large for a laptop. I'm sorry for this harsh view

you might think this, but you are wrong, it isn't

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it's great

except mine started doing this weird thing with the left speaker where it sounded like there were metal beads vibrating in it.

went to an apple authorized reseller and they fixed it under warranty. it's cool but i hope it's not a systematic thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also invoking quality is a dangerous game in that space since really good sounding speakers are actually not that expensive

yeah the low end passive speaker market has an insane numbers of good options right now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google and amazon can't be bothered with good-sounding speakers

whether that is a function of cost, i don't know, but plainly consumers don't give a gently caress

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Binary Badger posted:

There's not any newer Xeons that could go into it that aren't already spoken for in cheesegrater II Mac Pros

Unless they somehow shove in dual processors that they couldn't even fit into the cheesegraters which already have a 1 KW power supply

or make the iMac Pro thickerer by making it pregnant and shooting up two middle fingers in johnny ivie's direction

or they go amd like the rumors have been saying

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Timb already has AMD. All my dollars. Am I right here people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plorkyeran posted:

or they go amd like the rumors have been saying

amd does not have substantially better tdp than the big xeons, they're just cheaper and higher performing

edit: i mean it's a little better, if you think about perf/watt. but in absolute terms, both are power-sucking monsters

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they have negative margins on voice cylinders. gotta cut costs where you can.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're just cheaper and higher performing

:thunk:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it’s less bad than the other touchbar mbps, but it’s still a touchbar mbp, and therefore bad.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
the HomePod is good actually. works nicely with my phone. turns off my lights. worth buying? probably not, but it’s nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whether that is a function of cost, i don't know, but plainly consumers don't give a gently caress

good sounding speakers are larger than surveillance cylinders and you have to pay attention to where in the room you put them.

imo the difference between alexa being a curiosity and a hit product is almost entirely down to their subsidized cost though