Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Am I losing my mind or didn't the Sniper Rifle have bodyshot damage variance before? What happened to that.

Not as far as I can remember, and that’s pretty far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Am I losing my mind or didn't the Sniper Rifle have bodyshot damage variance before? What happened to that.

it didn't

maybe on noscopes? I don't know

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It’s always been 50 base times charge for body shots and 150 base times charge for headshots. Even when quickscoping was a thing back in 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I swear to god it had a +/-10% damage variance on bodyshots (and all other guns too, in fact), which I learned about because it was apparently a big meta thing that it was only a 50% chance to kill a Medic on a fully-charged body shot? Like I remember that being the whole niche to the Machina at the time, that it had a guaranteed Medic bodyshot capability, and one of the big reasons why trying to play using the Sydney Sleeper and forgoing headshots was a terrible idea? Was I just deeply misinformed at the time? Are my memories lying to me?? :tinfoil:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They call this "The Bodyshot Effect."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I swear to god it had a +/-10% damage variance on bodyshots (and all other guns too, in fact), which I learned about because it was apparently a big meta thing that it was only a 50% chance to kill a Medic on a fully-charged body shot? Like I remember that being the whole niche to the Machina at the time, that it had a guaranteed Medic bodyshot capability, and one of the big reasons why trying to play using the Sydney Sleeper and forgoing headshots was a terrible idea? Was I just deeply misinformed at the time? Are my memories lying to me?? :tinfoil:
There's no such thing as Berenstein Bears.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Damage spread in general was a thing for all non-crit damage, yeah. It was Not Fun to hit three direct pipes on a heavy and not actually kill him.

The sniper rifle didn't have distance-based falloff, but it did have damage spread. If you were playing comp, though, you wouldn't have noticed, because comp rulesets always turned off damage spread because it's dumb as hell. And thankfully, Gun Mettle turned it off for everyone.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

what

no the reason the machina was meta is because it did more damage, could kill medics THROUGH other players, and because nobody understands how useful noscopes can be

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jabor posted:

Damage spread in general was a thing for all non-crit damage, yeah. It was Not Fun to hit three direct pipes on a heavy and not actually kill him.

The sniper rifle didn't have distance-based falloff, but it did have damage spread. If you were playing comp, though, you wouldn't have noticed, because comp rulesets always turned off damage spread because it's dumb as hell. And thankfully, Gun Mettle turned it off for everyone.

Okay thank goodness, I knew it was a real thing for ages. Looks like 2015 killed it for good in all modes? Shame on all you upthread trying to gaslight me :argh:

cock hero flux posted:

what

no the reason the machina was meta is because it did more damage, could kill medics THROUGH other players, and because nobody understands how useful noscopes can be

Doesn't the +15% damage on the Machina not actually hit any meaningful shots-to-kill breakpoints though? Penetration fair enough I guess, but I always got the impression it was a useless gun apart from evading damage spread when that existed.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 26, 2020

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Can folks give me some links to videos for mid-to-high-level tips for Heavy and/or Medic?

I don't have links, but here are some quick medic tips:

- Use crouch to surf explosions. This lets you fly "away" from the other things fired at you.

- Don't pocket, but make sure people understand your intentions. Try to make it obvious when you plan to follow them into nasty battles.

- Understand that some people are lost causes. Don't follow random idiots to their deaths.

- An early uber is better than dropping it. Don't wait for the "perfect" moments.

- Eat the SG pushback when ubering. The pushback screws up weapon aiming for the uber recipient. Bonus points for getting behind an engi nest so the sg kills them.

- Overheal lighter attack classes at the starf too. Scouts and pyros love the overheal.

- Learn to arc Crossbow and Syringe shots to destroy far away people and buildings.

- The amputater saw that AE heals on taunt is a gimmick, but can be fun if you're not serious. Teammates will glow with a ring while getting healed, but spies will not glow. It's a funny way to spycheck, but may result in a backstab.

- if you're not super serious the regular bonesaw can be deadly as a last resort. The second or third hit is a guaranteed critical hit. Use a mix of ranged attacks and melee attacks for best results.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you! I knew most of those, though I'm still pretty bad at damage surfing

Amy tips for heal order?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 26, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Amy tips for heal order?

It depends on the situation. I’ll state from a 6s standpoint. At the beginning of a round, buff demo then roamed since they are explosive jumping and will be moving away from you. Then go to the flank scout and buff them until they split off from the pocket scout and soldier. Buff the pocket scout next since they give you the speed bonus, finally right outside mid hit the pocket soldier since they will most likely have crit heals (if they do a escape plan roll out) to potentially give you the slight advantage in ubers.

When in a fight it’s prioritized on who can defend you the most, then damage, then flank, so typically pocket scout, demo, pocket soldier, then roamer and flank scout.

When out of the fight, crit heals first, then flank, then pocket, since everyone needs to reposition away from heals to prep for the next fight. If you’re moving to engage, buff the flanks first so they can pressure and survive to get out while the pocket takes the heals. Who gets more between the pocket is a matter of preference, but it’s typically scout or demo depending on who’s dm you rely on for picks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ahem I think youre forgetting the tried and true method of," pocket the guy with the nicest hat"

:smuggo:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Amy tips for heal order?

I tend to prioritize people based on their distance to the next objective and their current health; the lower their health and the closer they are, the more important a priority they become. Class matters as a distinct second, as there are low health classes that can find safety (Scout) or make themselves safe (Spy) in certain situations, while high health uninjured Soldiers and Heavies might soon be turned to mush as they rush into the head of a fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm a pretty okay Medic, but I think I threw my back out trying to carry this team.

I did this a few days ago, and I can't help but wonder if I somehow healed in a way that got big numbers but didn't actually help the team much. I juggled healing as best I could, tried to keep people alive in team fights (that soldier was the closest thing I had to a pocket), but we never lasted long against a coordinated 2v3 and I almost never managed to stay alive long enough to get uber before that drat scout ran my rear end down.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I did this a few days ago, and I can't help but wonder if I somehow healed in a way that got big numbers but didn't actually help the team much. I juggled healing as best I could, tried to keep people alive in team fights (that soldier was the closest thing I had to a pocket), but we never lasted long against a coordinated 2v3 and I almost never managed to stay alive long enough to get uber before that drat scout ran my rear end down.

You were probably doing great. A good medic is a force multiplier, but if you're starting from near zero it still won't get you far. There needs to be someone to kill the bad guys and stand on the point (and protect the medic from scouts).

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
The amount of hackers nowadays is insane, there's been one or more in 90% of my games the past week :/

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Something I've been seeing a lot lately that I always assumed was hacking/bots is someone will join a game, let's say named Weedlord, then also 2-4 other people named Weedlord 2 through Weedlord 5 or whatever. Last couple times after someone initiated a vote kick they all were on mic and clearly different people, or like playing demoknight or friendly or something else you wouldn't really see bots doing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's much more surprising to me that there's anyone who actually has voice enabled

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trying to get back into this game after 100 years, where are my servers?

Where did they go:smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Trying to get back into this game after 100 years, where are my servers?

Where did they go:smith:
Even Lost Continents moved on to Overwatch. :smith:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Leave them. They have noone to blame but themselves.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

i moved onto overwatch, then eventually realized overwatch was bad so I came crawling back

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

i moved onto overwatch, then eventually realized overwatch was bad so I came crawling back

Same

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ye of little faith

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Do we have a Discord? I'd love to be able to coordinate teams for jumping into casual or MvM.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
In memory of a good friend and old LCS regular who I've lost recently, have the most absolutely-ancient footage of Goon Fortress shenanigans I know of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLG2PeLlgY

As far as I can recall this was taken during the beta period you got when you preordered the Orange Box.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.

PMush Perfect posted:

Where do y'all play?

LA quickplay; A/D, Control Points, KOTH, and a couple payload maps

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

reignofevil posted:

The syringe guns are all amazing at doing damage the trick is though you have to be running backwards.

...which seems entirely logical for a class in which if you have to switch to your primary weapon you should be in retreat.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Today someone ranted at me over voice chat because I gave him an uber :{}

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I get mad when I get ubered but only when....like .... I'm like demo or soldier and Iv spent my clips and I'm pulling out to reload and SUPRISE ITS MY LUCKY DAY and then I spend 3/4th of the uber reloading.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, like... C’mon, y’all, at least give me an X-3 so I know you’re ready.

Should I make a Discord? Seems like there isn’t one any more and Lordy am I tired of the /r/TF2 one.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, like... C’mon, y’all, at least give me an X-3 so I know you’re ready.

Should I make a Discord? Seems like there isn’t one any more and Lordy am I tired of the /r/TF2 one.

i would be hella down to join one if it gets made!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Abyssal Squid posted:

Today someone ranted at me over voice chat because I gave him an uber :{}

I personally hate being ubered because I loving suck and I don't want the pressure to actually get good, uber literally anyone else

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i am always giddy as pyro when i get uber'd, i will never let the medic down with reloading and give them loads of kill assists in return as we ride and die in the middle of the enemy :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

*Kritzkriegs the Sniper*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PMush Perfect posted:

*Kritzkriegs the Sniper*

Blessed

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

*Kritzkriegs the Sniper*

I unironically do this or normal ubers on snipers in pubs and they get SO CONFUSED AND ANGRY and i recommend everyone here do it, a lot
Scouts too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

“Flash Kritz the Scout” upgrades from “WTF” to “galaxy brain” though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

For what it's worth, I was in "pop it don't drop it" mode during rollout on Swiftwater. The guy was really mad that I ubered him [Heavy] after the friend I was partied with [Soldier] got gibbed right out the door and I was letting a Scout push the cart behind us.

Like sure, in the abstract the most durable guy benefits the least from invulnerability, but I popped because I wanted to be invulnerable myself and you just happened to be the closest teammate. Also this was a Valve server. Later in the round I capped the last three points while taunting because again, Valve server.