Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kanos posted:

Wardell is a CEO cut from the manbaby libertarian stripe where he believes being a rich prick who owns a company makes him a ~captain of industry~ with unlimited rights and powers over his own private office fiefdom. He would proudly do things like side-park his convertible across multiple handicapped spots(because he owns the building), talk about how he's an obnoxious rear end in a top hat and if anyone has a problem with it he'll shut down the studio since he owns it by god - this is a running theme with Wardell - and is also a loving racist rear end in a top hat.

Sometimes I really loving hate that I like video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's just higher ups in general, i think. Just video games are closer to the audience so we hear about it more often. You don't often go look up your favourite cereal manufacturers opinions on race, etc etc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stardock does publish Offworld Trading Company, though it was developed by Soren Johnson, who was the guy who made Civ IV, and features music by Christopher Tin who also did the title track for Civ IV.

Do with that information what you will, Brad Wardell truly is an awful person.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dogstile posted:

It's just higher ups in general, i think. Just video games are closer to the audience so we hear about it more often. You don't often go look up your favourite cereal manufacturers opinions on race, etc etc.

Corn flakes are a notable exception, we know exactly what their creator was after: NO WANKING

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is that why West of Loathing (and Abuse) had that location?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

SelenicMartian posted:

Is that why West of Loathing (and Abuse) had that location?

Yes, absolutely. Jick always seemed to love calling out ridiculousness.

Also: Door in the Woods is real loving good, y'all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Humble Monthly Choice stuff is up:

My Friend Pedro
Planet Coaster + World's Fair Pack DLC
F1 2019 Anniversary Edition
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
EXAPUNKS
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Death's Gambit
198X
Niffelheim
AI War 2
Etherborn

DRM Free Games:
Space Routine
One Step From Eden Exclusive Sneak Peek

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Cool, there’s like 5 games on my wishlist there

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406970/The_Uncertain_Last_Quiet_Day/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/449980/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_The_Reapers_Due/

First episode of The Council is free, but you have to click "install" in the top left here to add it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is your regular reminder that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Play your free games and vote.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

KillHour posted:

This is your regular reminder that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Play your free games and vote.

or stick to what you believe in instead of this meaningless petition to give up

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

flatluigi posted:

or stick to what you believe in instead of this meaningless petition to give up

the point of "there is no ethical consumption..." is that, if an economic system is designed to be free of ethics, it is not reasonable to morally judge the consumption choices of the people who are subjected to that system. it has nothing to do with what is in the hearts and minds of the people who find themselves having to make those economic choices

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 6, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the point of "there is no ethical consumption..." is that, if an economic system is not based on ethics, it is not reasonable to morally judge the consumption choices of the people who are subjected to that system. it has nothing to do with what is the heart of the people who find themselves having to make those economic choices

Where do videogames fall of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Where do videogames fall of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

i have gone on dates with both sans and papyrus so definitely love/belonging

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the point of "there is no ethical consumption..." is that, if an economic system is not based on ethics, it is not reasonable to morally judge the consumption choices of the people who find themselves subjected to that system. it has nothing to do with what is the heart of the people who find themselves having to make those economic choices
No it isn't. The point of "no ethical consumption" is that no matter what we do there are going to be unethical choices that we make and so while we should strive within our means and interests to be ethical, we should understand and not beat ourselves (and others) for not being perfect. Understanding that the system does not let people be perfect does not mean you can't strive to do better personally or criticize others for egregious choices. If shopping at walmart is the best you can reasonably do, then that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's also ok to shop at bizarromart that chains it's employees and makes them pay for the chains, especially if there's a walmart next door. You can still have standards, even if the standards might not be what you'd like them to be.

Not buying games (or in this case getting someone else to buy a game for you) from the serial harasser and tyrant who literally tries to kill his employees is not a hard economic choice forced on us by capitalism, it's a choice people can easily make without meaningful sacrifice. If Brad Wardell owned the only internet provider in your area, then not paying him would be an unreasonable sacrifice to expect of most people. The context of the unethical consumption (both in what you're consuming, what your options are, and how egregious the unethical underlying behaviour) still matters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dear god.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

someone tell me about a free game

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

OpenTTD is pretty baller

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Kins posted:

New Humble Monthly Choice stuff is up:

My Friend Pedro
Planet Coaster + World's Fair Pack DLC
F1 2019 Anniversary Edition
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
EXAPUNKS
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Death's Gambit
198X
Niffelheim
AI War 2
Etherborn

DRM Free Games:
Space Routine
One Step From Eden Exclusive Sneak Peek

I'm confused, the site says this costs $20.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

More of a "free DLC for (good) FTP game", but Minion Masters: Zealous Inferno is free this weekend!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Det_no posted:

Once more you can get a free bite out of the enormous cake that is Crusader Kings II's DLC:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/449980/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_The_Reapers_Due/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

i was confused about this too but didn't want to say anything

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was confused about this too but didn't want to say anything
People seem to post about these subscription services like the Twitch Prime stuff here, so I figured I'd join in. :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's a strong chance people might already have Amazon Prime for other reasons, so the games are a bonus.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

The Kins posted:

People seem to post about these subscription services like the Twitch Prime stuff here, so I figured I'd join in. :shrug:

The difference is no one has ever paid specifically for Twitch Prime

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whereas Humble Choice is an objectively worse subscription than Humble Monthly was.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm mad at you The Kins, but I'll stop being mad here in a while and we can be friends again.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only way Humble Choice is a decent deal is if you migrated in from Humble Monthly which gives you all games for the $12 a month or however much it is. I'm just pausing any time there's a month I don't fancy and that apparently keeps my subscription active.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It's a huge pain that you have to re-pause every month. Pricks.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
So a thing I've been thinking is that we don't have a thread right now for free games that have always been free. Dumpster diving on sites like itch.io and Kongregate used to be a big pleasure of mine, and often the trash was as entertaining as the treasure. Do you think it's worth expanding this thread or making a new one?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Whybird posted:

So a thing I've been thinking is that we don't have a thread right now for free games that have always been free. Dumpster diving on sites like itch.io and Kongregate used to be a big pleasure of mine, and often the trash was as entertaining as the treasure. Do you think it's worth expanding this thread or making a new one?

I think this thread serves its purpose of being a notice board for free game opportunities available as they come. I could see a new thread where people can make an effort post about a free game they have actually played for a while, and would like to recommend.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah this isn't really a "games for no money" thread, it's more a bat signal for backlog hoarders

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

StoryTime posted:

I think this thread serves its purpose of being a notice board for free game opportunities available as they come. I could see a new thread where people can make an effort post about a free game they have actually played for a while, and would like to recommend.

I'd 100% read such a thread, but yeah it ain't this one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dunno why this one is free, but it's a short adventure game with a robot and humanity gone extinct

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dunno why this one is free, but it's a short adventure game with a robot and humanity gone extinct
Probably related to the "Wishlist the sequel" button on the page

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
First Noisy Night

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Whybird posted:

I've considered doing the same thing for small/interesting games for years but I almost never get much of a response whenever I post about those sorts, so I've never bothered. Don't let that stop you though, I'd be really into it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would 100% make a new thread since this one is very particular and the (usually) rare updates mean something specific.

But do it. The question is, would it include all free games like Warframe and Apex (F2P?) or just the smaller free games that aren't F2P, just plain ol' free/open source (Warzone 2100, Zero-K (Spring))?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd say games that are just released for free, the major F2P games tend to have their own threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why can't all free games just be in this thread?