Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Telsa Cola posted:

The wiki states that it does, as do my own experinces with it. You can test it yourself by starting a vanilla game and dev mode spawning in the same gun a few times to get different qualities.

Wiki states that Damage, Accuracy, and Armour Penetration are effected.

Its been in effect since at least B19.

Huh, that one snuck past me, thanks for correcting me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Broken Cog posted:

You know, for a legendary work I expected a bit more.

It fits.

You hunger for more detail in the square because it's legendary and so beautiful. But no matter how hard you wish this legendary work --- a rare occurrence in it's own right --- had more detailing befitting it's rank that's all you get. A simple style in the form of a square, leaving the user hungering for more. That's some top tier trolling through post-modern art, right there. :v:

Best part is that it has 2000 beauty so no one would think to be angry about it if they saw it and realized the joke. It's basically the artistic equivalent of a masterfully done forums shitposting spree.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 6, 2020

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Now that things have settled a bit, are mods requiring the DLC for their updated versions?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ZearothK posted:

Now that things have settled a bit, are mods requiring the DLC for their updated versions?

Not that I can see.

Presumably once a month or two have passed we'll see some. In particular I can imagine that the unavailable royal titles will be of interest. Especially with the Empire mod that lets you make NPC settlements your faction owns.

Ditto for bionic mods.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
are bionic genitals in the base game now or did that get added by Royalty, because that will answer your question I think

e: I am never leaving the house again

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 6, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
None of the old mods being updated require Royalty. Whether or not any new mods get developed will require it, I'm not sure.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've been exploring early-midgame combat and making defense buildings and also the ai pathing/behaviour. And I feel like my defenses are far from what's considered to be tried&true so give me your thoughts on pillboxes/firing positions and defenses in general

As advised itt I made walls around most of my base to limit the angle of attacks. I funnel everything to the north-east side of my base which has four bunkers and two openings as of now

This is the bunker "template" I came up with and it's very much geared towards stopping melee enemies as I was surprised to find out that they just charged over the sandbags of my first design. I figured a fallback position inside the bunker made sense to safely pull someone out but I should probably also include some furniture for mood buffs?

And I feel like I'm using the wall+sandbag combo wrong in some way. Like my colonists seem to have a very limited field of fire if they stand behind the wall tiles and if I put them behind bags they seem to step out into the bag tile to shoot. The field of fire seems to improve dramatically but I assume their defense drops a lot except agianst some specific angles?

And it's sorta required to build chokepoints with traps that funnel into sight of your firing positions, right? Otherwise bigger groups of enemies just overwhelm my shooters too quickly. I mean I'm still on bolt rifles so that's probably the main thing here but I still feel like cheesy trap+chokepoint combos are the way to go in general

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they lower the number of pawns that spawn to join you? It's been like an entire year and I only got one and they died.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I've been exploring early-midgame combat and making defense buildings and also the ai pathing/behaviour. And I feel like my defenses are far from what's considered to be tried&true so give me your thoughts on pillboxes/firing positions and defenses in general

As advised itt I made walls around most of my base to limit the angle of attacks. I funnel everything to the north-east side of my base which has four bunkers and two openings as of now

This is the bunker "template" I came up with and it's very much geared towards stopping melee enemies as I was surprised to find out that they just charged over the sandbags of my first design. I figured a fallback position inside the bunker made sense to safely pull someone out but I should probably also include some furniture for mood buffs?

And I feel like I'm using the wall+sandbag combo wrong in some way. Like my colonists seem to have a very limited field of fire if they stand behind the wall tiles and if I put them behind bags they seem to step out into the bag tile to shoot. The field of fire seems to improve dramatically but I assume their defense drops a lot except agianst some specific angles?

And it's sorta required to build chokepoints with traps that funnel into sight of your firing positions, right? Otherwise bigger groups of enemies just overwhelm my shooters too quickly. I mean I'm still on bolt rifles so that's probably the main thing here but I still feel like cheesy trap+chokepoint combos are the way to go in general

Like you said, chokepoints is the way to go, your design is basically inside out from what it should be.

In your example there in any one raid only 2 or 3 traps are going to be triggered, the rest are just a waste of resources.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tenzarin posted:

Did they lower the number of pawns that spawn to join you? It's been like an entire year and I only got one and they died.

The wanderer event seems rarer, but in return I seem to be getting a lot of crashed pods.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After awhile I went out in a blaze of glory and had my pawns stand their ground to get clubbed to death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Damage and a few other things goes up as well, so its still a benefit.

For melee weapons yes, but not for ranged as far as I'm aware.

E:

Telsa Cola posted:

The wiki states that it does, as do my own experinces with it. You can test it yourself by starting a vanilla game and dev mode spawning in the same gun a few times to get different qualities.

Wiki states that Damage, Accuracy, and Armour Penetration are effected.

Its been in effect since at least B19.

huh.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Flesh Forge posted:

Huh, that one snuck past me, thanks for correcting me :shrug:

No worries, I dont recall ever seeing an update note about it. I just noticed one day that a bolt action rifle was doing a poo poo ton of damage compared to what I was used to and investigated why.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Respect to the bear that wandered through one of the two insect caves on my map and beat the poo poo out of everything. When I realized what was happening I ran my two shooters down there to finish off the last megaspider and the hive, and pretty much every tile was bear blood.

It survived.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Tame that hero.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Slowly starting to acquire more pawns. Do you usually have a dedicated "cleaning" pawn? My base is a mess and I have to periodically manually assign people to clean it and I'm wondering if I should just make someone a mostly full time cleaner.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Popete posted:

Slowly starting to acquire more pawns. Do you usually have a dedicated "cleaning" pawn? My base is a mess and I have to periodically manually assign people to clean it and I'm wondering if I should just make someone a mostly full time cleaner.

Yes. I usually assign someone to full time dumb labor by the time I have 6 pawns. Cleaning/hauling pawns can pretty much always find something to do and cleaning in particular scales really well since even the one pawn will be able to handle a very sizeable base.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Cleaning is a great task for that double flame 14 skill combat god that can't do anything else useful, plus you can keep them in their full combat kit and it won't really matter much.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Popete posted:

I do, but it's a low priority compared to having people help out on more important projects. But if you have a low skills or amputee pawn or something, I set them up as my janitor for sure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yup. Best candidate for dumb labor is the soldier. You need them around for their usefulness in a scrap, but the other 90% of your life they can't just be sitting there, idle. They don't need any qualifications to clean dirt and haul crap, so there you go.

Close second is teenager pawns. Teenager pawns are almost always completely loving useless at everything and in the first year or so training them to be good at something is mostly out of the question.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Pharnakes posted:

Cleaning is a great task for that double flame 14 skill combat god that can't do anything else useful, plus you can keep them in their full combat kit and it won't really matter much.

Sounds like the army.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

Sounds like the army.

The first time I brought this up someone who was ex-Army (I forget who) came by and said "yeah this is pretty much how soldiers have done for centuries - after a firefight you dig a latrine."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I thought I was going to do some sort of throne craft hall rec room thing and got to the level where the noble wants everything floored, but fancy, so I think I'm gonna cut out a smaller throne room and leave the mega rec/craft hall intact. Doing >400 tiles worth of fine carpet or fine stone paving seems uh... difficult.

They also had issues sleeping in the same room as a non-noble... their recently born child. Baby is now sleeping in the main barracks with most everybody else. Slightly depressing but realistic.

Can't wait for Hospitality to come back, then I may see how the colony falls and get started on my anti-noble run.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they change how you can set which workpiles to find stuff for the workbenches work? My pawns are running to the next room to grab crap when I put stockpiles with their materials right next to their workbench so they keep getting up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I just use the radius thing, always seemed less prone to acting weird

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fuuuuuuucking sapper. Broke through a wall, guy lobbed a Molotov at an animal, and I lost my entire ranch and most of my housing.

loving poo poo goddammit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Fuuuuuuucking sapper. Broke through a wall, guy lobbed a Molotov at an animal, and I lost my entire ranch and most of my housing.

loving poo poo goddammit.

Quit building out of wood.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pharnakes posted:

Like you said, chokepoints is the way to go, your design is basically inside out from what it should be.

In your example there in any one raid only 2 or 3 traps are going to be triggered, the rest are just a waste of resources.
But..but...aesthetics :qq:

But yeah I get it. Gonna add wall+trap funnel combo on the open side of my base that leads attackers into the sight of my bunkers

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

But..but...aesthetics :qq:

But yeah I get it. Gonna add wall+trap funnel combo on the open side of my base that leads attackers into the sight of my bunkers

If you really, truly care about aesthetics - you need mods.

Mods that add embrasures would be good. The Fence mod would be good. You can combine those two to make a high security fence lined with the occasional bunker, which looks a lot more aesthetic than trap maze.

Vanilla Security Expanded adds some neat things to add to that - ideally you'll still kinda funnel, but outer wall is just to get them to go towards a large breach where you want them to.

It's best if you've set up along a river/mountain, because then you can use a combination of those mods to create a bridge entrance with bunkers defending it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Big thread and I skimmed the last few pages, so sorry if this has already been explored.

With the new DLC (and I know it's still early) if you make somebody a noble, can you do the same with their spouse and they share the required facilities? Like could they share the fancy bedroom and throne room (I'd assume if this is possible you'd have to put in two thrones)?

E: Also in my current run I had a grizzly self-tame which I promptly named Wotjek and then this happened.

Hell yeah early masterwork AR just for killing a couple ducks. :getin:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 7, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Monkey posted:

Quit building out of wood.

But there's so much of it and it's infinitely renewable and easy to gather!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Big thread and I skimmed the last few pages, so sorry if this has already been explored.

With the new DLC (and I know it's still early) if you make somebody a noble, can you do the same with their spouse and they share the required facilities? Like could they share the fancy bedroom and throne room (I'd assume if this is possible you'd have to put in two thrones)?

Yup, at least so far for me with an Esquire/Yeoman couple.

There's a mood debuff for having to share a bedroom with non-nobles, but I have been leveling them together and don't know if it applies to lovers.

You'll need to assign them to their thrones, otherwise you'll get a, "something's wrong!" ping about a bad throne room.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

But there's so much of it and it's infinitely renewable and easy to gather!

Stone is also infinitely renewable, and as a bonus when someone throws a molotov at it you don't lose everything. :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't have noble with noble requirements yet, but I just got a quest to house a baroness I think for a few days, which has made me wonder. If I build a throne room and royal bedroom for my (eventual) noble, and I want to accept one of these house a noble quests, do I have to have two throne rooms?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

....can a throne room also be a bedroom?

Here visiting noble, here is your throne next to your bed which is off to the side of the colony where you are unlikely to screw with the useful members during your stay.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

HelloSailorSign posted:

There's a mood debuff for having to share a bedroom with non-nobles, but I have been leveling them together and don't know if it applies to lovers.

You'll need to assign them to their thrones, otherwise you'll get a, "something's wrong!" ping about a bad throne room.

So just to clarify a jointly owned throne room is okay as long as each has their own throne? Does this also apply to the big 2x3 thrones? Like at Count/Countess level each partner can share a throne room as long as they each have their own bigthrone?

E: Ah poo poo, just saw that your couple is Esquire/Yeoman. Yeomen don't have any throne/bedroom requirements which is prolly why you don't have any conflicts yet. Nobles don't require a throne room or specific bedroom until Esquire.

HelloSailorSign posted:

....can a throne room also be a bedroom?

Here visiting noble, here is your throne next to your bed which is off to the side of the colony where you are unlikely to screw with the useful members during your stay.

Far as I've seen so far, visiting nobles only require an adequate bedroom, not a throne room.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 7, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

You cannot win firefights where enemies can simply engage you at their preferred range with all of their forces. You always either outnumbered or outgunned, usually both. This means that without mods that significantly improve defensive fortifications (eg CE or the relevant Vanilla Expanded mods), a freestanding pillbox is probably going to be overwhelmed.

There are a lot of approaches to using choke points or AI tricks or kiting or mortars to deal with these problems, but the first problem is that you're trying to defend all directions at once and that's not workable.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

A noble who is slumming it with a non-noble lover will still happily share a bedroom with them.

Honky Dong Country posted:

So just to clarify a jointly owned throne room is okay as long as each has their own throne? Does this also apply to the big 2x3 thrones? Like at Count/Countess level each partner can share a throne room as long as they each have their own bigthrone?

E: Ah poo poo, just saw that your couple is Esquire/Yeoman. Yeomen don't have any throne/bedroom requirements which is prolly why you don't have any conflicts yet. Nobles don't require a throne room or specific bedroom until Esquire.
Noble couples can share bedrooms and throne rooms. The game explicitly tells you this if you build a throne room with two thrones in it

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gadzuko posted:

Noble couples can share bedrooms and throne rooms. The game explicitly tells you this if you build a throne room with two thrones in it

Thank you. I'm sorry to ask for it to be spelled out so explicitly but the wiki is always a lil behind on these things (understandably) and I'm fishing for direct experience from you guys. I was hoping to learn about this ahead of time before trying it and ending up having to build two throne rooms lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anyone else having issues that when you send your noble guy on a caravan they forget they have a throne?