Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah I mean, those old dudes look pretty cool, but. Mustached, mecha-monocle super cop is pretty loving rad. It's just a totally different aesthetic, but there's plenty of cool details on the new stuff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Gate posted:

Yeah I mean, those old dudes look pretty cool, but. Mustached, mecha-monocle super cop is pretty loving rad. It's just a totally different aesthetic, but there's plenty of cool details on the new stuff as well.

Oh God-Emperor I want Enforcer Ogryns now...

There was something similar in the Only War 40k RPG: 51st Abhuman Penal Supression Detachment, although that was a Guard unit not Arbites/Enforcers.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's ok. But so many of the new models lack the charm of the old hand sculpted minis.

Sorry but the old Halfling hot pot and chef minis are terrible

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ineptmule posted:

:frogout:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:colbert:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PIGGY FIET

:neckbeard:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ineptmule posted:

:wrong:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Geisladisk posted:

This is how I feel about all the old models. The new poo poo is gorgeous and technically far superior, but the old poo poo is just so... charming. I think this might just be nostalgia, though. My younger brother is in his late teens and getting into hams. I keep showing him old models that I loving love, and without fail he just thinks they look like dogshit.

I tend to kind of hate the new larger AOS models though. It seems they just can't stop sculpting and they invariably end up bloated and cluttered and way overloaded with poo poo.

I share your tastes, but it's definitely nostalgia. I have a friend who loves the old pre slotta era models from Citadel and others and there's a vibrant secondhand market for them but they all look like today dog poo poo to me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The new goblin and troll models are the best things out of gw in awhile. They just hit the nail right in the head.

That being said I like older models for what they are. Short, stubby, very static but showing off what they got. Its quaint.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Some old models are good and have a certain charm. Halfling Hot Pot is not one of them. It objectively doesn’t work because it is three Halflings and random pieces of cooking equipment that barely fit together and have no real sense of movement or of being a working object. The base looks sparse and weirdly misproportioned because the components aren’t working together to fill it.

Edit: New Ratling chef model is also bad.

Good Ratlings: the IG sniper kit. Bad Ratling: awkwardly posed chef with a ladle that most uncharacteristically is wasting food. WTF is up with that stun gun arm? Dreadful.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 7, 2020

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Bad Ratling: awkwardly posed chef with a ladle that most uncharacteristically is wasting food. WTF is up with that stun gun arm? Dreadful.

I rather agree with this, although the model is very detailed the pose is odd. Who the gently caress slings a ladle half full of soup up over their shoulder?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Finally picked up the Underhive box set for a decent discount at a closing down sale.

I didn’t even ask how much they wanted for 1e&2e Space Marine or OG adeptus titanicus because I don’t need that temptation in my life

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think the GW model ranges hit the most character and overall quality around 1993ish, when Jes Goodwin was basically doing the majority of the art design and they had recently released the new Aspect Warrior minis. The new models may be technically better but I think they suffer from being way too busy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Normal I'd agree with you on the busyness of the design but for the newer models molding process has come a long way. Maybe being busy for an old model wouldve been bad because then it would be a bumpy mess. The newer models, however, can translate everything clearly and concisely. You can look at them on unpainted on sprue and can recognize what something is. The problem I have with newer models is that now because they've got a lot if this detail it's harder to make kits that you can include a lot of different options. Most you get nowadays is one other customizable option.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I think the GW model ranges hit the most character and overall quality around 1993ish, when Jes Goodwin was basically doing the majority of the art design and they had recently released the new Aspect Warrior minis. The new models may be technically better but I think they suffer from being way too busy.

I thought some of the reason for this, particularly AOS's love of dangly details and flying models, was to make it harder to recast?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Finally picked up the Underhive box set for a decent discount at a closing down sale.

I didn’t even ask how much they wanted for 1e&2e Space Marine or OG adeptus titanicus because I don’t need that temptation in my life

If that was OG TItanicus with the imperator in it uhhh

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Painted up a quick Cerastus knight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Loxbourne posted:

I thought some of the reason for this, particularly AOS's love of dangly details and flying models, was to make it harder to recast?

If it was, it isn't working.

All the dangly bits and crap are strictly because they can, not to combat recasters.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Let's just say that half of the new GW kits would look better if you just removed half of the extra... stuff they keep shoving onto them. Makes them look worse and makes painting them a worse experience.

Not all kits, but like, half of them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

lilljonas posted:

Let's just say that half of the new GW kits would look better if you just removed half of the extra... stuff they keep shoving onto them. Makes them look worse and makes painting them a worse experience.

Not all kits, but like, half of them.

Ones that go overboard on the details make it difficult to find a place to focus when looking at them. It becomes this kind of optical overload, where nothing is truly distinct enough to draw the eye and becomes a huge, visual mess.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

This is how I feel about all the old models. The new poo poo is gorgeous and technically far superior, but the old poo poo is just so... charming. I think this might just be nostalgia, though. My younger brother is in his late teens and getting into hams. I keep showing him old models that I loving love, and without fail he just thinks they look like dogshit.

I tend to kind of hate the new larger AOS models though. It seems they just can't stop sculpting and they invariably end up bloated and cluttered and way overloaded with poo poo.

I didn't start collecting/playing 40k until 6th edition and I was in my early 20s, but when I was like 10 I had the Space Marine 3rd edition Codex I liked to flip through. But my favorite stuff is always the older 1st/2nd edition nonesense because I think it does have a certain charm that new stuff lacks.

I personally think it's because GW didn't take itself nearly as seriously as it does now and it shows in the sculpts. I think deep down GW is still a goofy company that likes making toys for grown ups but it's not quite the same.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TTerrible posted:

If that was OG TItanicus with the imperator in it uhhh

Nah the box with 12 warlords. I didn’t check how complete/undamaged the contents were.

I didn’t ask the price, but he’d been basing other prices like betrayal at calth off current eBay listings so it’s not like it would have been a garage sale where they don’t know what they have

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've recently gotten the itch to paint up a fleet or two for Battlefleet Gothic, to give my Imperials some opponents. Given that the game is dead and not supported anymore, does anyone know a good place to find all the various extra rules for AdMech, Tau etc. fleets?

Here's my first Chaos cruiser, crossposted from the painting thread.

+++
Report: Unknown capital ship sighted approaching commerce lanes south of subsector capital. Augur pictgrams enclosed.

+++
+++
Analysis:
Type: Grand cruiser.
Class: Repulsive class
Pattern: Unknown, suspected III Delta Chalcographus (Heretical/M34)
Name: Unknown
Threat class: High. Engage only at squadron strength.
+++

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have finished building my first four thunderbolts and I have definitely caught the tiny plane bug. I knew I was susceptible as soon as AI was announced, but held off on getting anything for a while. With the incoming wave of models that resistance broke down pretty quickly. Seems like the imperial navy will be very well supported. I will definitely be buying some marauders the next time I'm at a store and I'll be on the hook for everything else eventually.

All that's left at this point is to decide on a color scheme. I'm torn between a few options but I have a few other ongoing projects right now so I'll take my time to figure that out.

Tiny planes. :shepspends:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
First of my traitor titans is done.

Will probably pick up some Warhounds to do next. I was hoping to get some cheap on ebay from people splitting up starter boxes, but they keep selling at or above the cost from a 3rd-party retailer. Guess everyone loves Audax.

Decorus posted:

I've recently gotten the itch to paint up a fleet or two for Battlefleet Gothic, to give my Imperials some opponents. Given that the game is dead and not supported anymore, does anyone know a good place to find all the various extra rules for AdMech, Tau etc. fleets?

Go /tg/ on 4chan and look in the 40k / HH threads for Mega links.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

xtothez posted:

Will probably pick up some Warhounds to do next. I was hoping to get some cheap on ebay from people splitting up starter boxes, but they keep selling at or above the cost from a 3rd-party retailer. Guess everyone loves Audax.

That's a rad Titan! That Legio are you painting them as?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

That's a rad Titan! That Legio are you painting them as?
That there's the one and only Legio Interfector.

AKA the MURDER LORDS
:pcgaming:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

Go /tg/ on 4chan and look in the 40k / HH threads for Mega links.

I like the use of that Warlord head. When I saw it on the sprue I thought it was obviously worse-looking than the other option (the one that appears on all of the box art), but after building both I decided it had more character.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
A friend of mine is looking to get into one of the skirmish level fantasy games. He's new to wargaming and asked me to look into them, but I don't know anything about the fantasy setting. Can someone give my synopsis a review and let me know if it's accurate or not?
    Underworlds Beastgrave
  • Hex based, boardgame-like.
  • Fast play. <1 hour game time.
  • Warbands are premade with no alteration.
  • Seems to lean heavy into the deckbuilding aspect.
  • Can use existing WH models/factions just need to get the card deck for them.
  • Inexpensive (I mean relative to the obscenely expensive GW price model) to get into.
  • Can you even get the older starter anymore? The skele one? We don't care for either of the warbands that come with the beastgrave starter.

Warcry
  • More like a traditional tabletop game: free movement, weapon ranges, etc.
  • Full 3d terrain, required sets for play as the mission cards necessitate certain sets in certain arrangements to use them.
  • Medium speed play? ~1.5 hours?
  • Traditional points based list building. Seems like the warband sizes can be a lot larger. Don't know quite what 1000 points translates to on average model-wise.
  • Doesn't seem like all the WFB factions are represented in this game.
  • WAY more expensive to get into.

Any input or clarification would be helpful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Springfield Fatts posted:

A friend of mine is looking to get into one of the skirmish level fantasy games. He's new to wargaming and asked me to look into them, but I don't know anything about the fantasy setting. Can someone give my synopsis a review and let me know if it's accurate or not?
    Underworlds Beastgrave
  • Inexpensive (I mean relative to the obscenely expensive GW price model) to get into.
  • Can you even get the older starter anymore? The skele one? We don't care for either of the warbands that come with the beastgrave starter.

Warcry
  • Full 3d terrain, required sets for play as the mission cards necessitate certain sets in certain arrangements to use them.
  • Traditional points based list building. Seems like the warband sizes can be a lot larger. Don't know quite what 1000 points translates to on average model-wise.

I haven't started playing Underworlds yet, but I recently bought into it with the Beastgrave starter and a warband. The older starter boxes and some warbands are OOP on GW's site, but you can find them on various webstores and the typical e-bay/amazon etc.

The Underworld minis are quite special and are not just straigth equivalents of the existing GW models. Some of them are easier to proxy than others. But really, buying a boxed warband per player and printing the cards is probably the cheapest way to play any warhammer out there, and even compared to most other miniature games due to the extremely low model count. It's more of a boardgame than your typical skirmish tabletop game.

As for Beastgrave, I ended up buying it even though I'm not 100% stoked about the warbands. Ended up giving away the Beastmen and consider it a 30 quid ruleset, though the wood elf looking dudes might end up more appealing with a different paint scheme. Not excited about the orange one GW went for.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 9, 2020

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Underworlds Beastgrave
You can get the models for the old warbands through GW, then you just have to print the cards to play with them. You need the real cards for official tournaments, so expect the price to skyrocket if that's something you want to do.

Warcry
You can use whatever terrain you want, and if you do, you just don't use the "terrain" part of the setup cards.
Your're looking at about 10-12 models for a 1000 point warband.
It's actually very cheap to get into if you don't care about the official models, and just want to play a game. You need the rulebook, some figures, and their cardset, dice, tokens and terrain, so it's simple enough to use whatever. I'd also recommend the setup cards, but there are some pre-generated, balanced scenarios in the rulebook.
Most of the AoS factions can be used in the game, so it's pretty easy to at least try it out if you have something lying around.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Underworlds Beastgrave

Warcry

To add to your statements, and the previous clarifications, WHU "seasons" rotate out after two years (so far, anyway) so, currently, any universal cards (usable by any warband) from season one (Shadespire) are no longer usable in a competitive environment. Also, previous season warbands themselves tend to cycle out once the new season is released, so they are difficult to find, even if they, and their cards, are still usable in the game.

As for comparing pricing, the two games are wildly different - WHU is a board game with heavy deckbuilding elements and Warcry is a traditional tabletop skirmish game, which requires the typical accoutrements of the genre.

However, if you dig down, the core starter for WHU is $70, and warbands are $35 each, so if you want to branch out from the core warbands for you and your friend, you're looking at a minimum of $140, assuming you don't want to go semi-competitive and require the legit cards from other warbands to make a competitive deck (most use cards from 5-6 sets.)

Conversely, you could get the Warcry rulebook, a couple of card packs, and (assuming you have them) Warhammer/AOS minis, and be able to start playing for around $70.

Costs are going to be very fluid, depending on what you already own, and how you want to approach the two games.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 9, 2020

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Our Necromunda campaign continued yesterday with the 2 new players fighting an epic 4 hour game over a racket. Enforcers eventually beat Helot Cultists. Honestly it was a bit of a slog coaching them through it. Their playstyles seemed to be to avoid all risk, shoot from where they were regardless of how ineffective it was, and constantly dispute what constituted full or partial cover! But they did get there in the end.

On the other table we had an arbitrated Murder Cyborg mission which led to it cutting a swathe through the Outlaw Venators (Grots) gang playing but eventually being taken out by the Lawful Eschers.

When they finished I was able to quit refereeing and play a match against the Squat Venators. I had the numbers and the gang rating so I was quite confident. This confidence dwindled a bit as I missed the first few heavy bolter volleys on 2s or 3s, and my power fist leader charged into his leader, rolled badly (and my opponent brought out a 6 to save!) and was cut straight down in turn. Really thought my Leader would have done better there.

However, luck did improve and numbers (10 to his 6) were a huge advantage. So I eventually cut the stunties down to size. Intrigues are nuts in Law & Misrule, I made 300 credits from one and flipped back to Lawful! Bought a new champion with a mining laser.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Knight number 2 done!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the responses clarifying. We'd be starting from scratch, and though the I prefer the freeform aspect of Warcry I think he'd like the premades WHU provides. This would just be casual play so the season issues and print-and-play aspect is pretty appealing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

R0ckfish posted:

Knight number 2 done!

Good knight, folks!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Thanks for the responses clarifying. We'd be starting from scratch, and though the I prefer the freeform aspect of Warcry I think he'd like the premades WHU provides. This would just be casual play so the season issues and print-and-play aspect is pretty appealing.

Also, Warcry games are about 15-30 minutes typically. The games are 3-4 turns generally, and it goes extremely fast once you get the rules down. My only complaint is the lack of customization in the game, but it's not really meant to have it and is a great beer and pretzels kinda game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Gate posted:

Also, Warcry games are about 15-30 minutes typically. The games are 3-4 turns generally, and it goes extremely fast once you get the rules down. My only complaint is the lack of customization in the game, but it's not really meant to have it and is a great beer and pretzels kinda game.

This is the best advertisement for Warcry I have ever heard.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

If you buy the chaos warbands for Warcry (Iron Golems, Splintered Fang, Unmade, etc), one box of dudes is basically a 1000 point force, so that might check the premade aspect your buddy would prefer. Buy one box, assemble, and go. Box also includes the stat cards you need for the warband. Yeah, you can build from scratch with whatever hams you want, but you don't need to go any further than a single box.

I haven't played any WHU, so I can't speak for it really. But Warcry is fast, simple, and pretty fun. I think it makes a pretty good lightweight intro to wargaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Oh, the non-core Warcry warbands (i.e. standard AOS forces) tend to be a little OP compared to the core warbands. Thematically, it makes sense, but it sucks to be the guy always getting his rear end kicked because he's running Iron Golems and everyone else is running Daemons or Stormcast or something.

Also, missions can be very one-sided, so be prepared to be one-shotted in turn one and, as a result, lose the mission. Re-rack and start over, hoping you get a better mission card next game. This is why the short games are very important.