Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hit Man posted:

What fuckery is this? Who is buying this poo poo before the weekend?

It's me, I bought some RDFN and YY lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Who the hell was buying into the close? Why would you want to hold over the weekend with so much uncertainty?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Expect the market to do things that will blow everyone’s tits off in these harrowing times.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Who the hell was buying into the close? Why would you want to hold over the weekend with so much uncertainty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0akBdQa55b4

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

This is just kind of funny to me now. Also, I’m not gonna lie, I’m salivating at the idea of a crash.

I really do love how casually people here root for this. You do realize a crash would cause great harm to regular? Oh but it’s ok because “late stage capitalism” or some such dumb terminally online poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I (still) think that there's no reason for a serious mark sell off like 2008 and this is all just panic or whatever about Corona mixed with the comedown from the corporate cocaine we've been stuffing the markets with in the past 3 years. I think the worst of all this are the WSB types or non-invested speculation people that are gleefully calling for circuit breakers because they'd make maybe 300% gains on their $2000 naked options play.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

paternity suitor posted:

I really do love how casually people here root for this. You do realize a crash would cause great harm to regular? Oh but it’s ok because “late stage capitalism” or some such dumb terminally online poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I bought some CRTX, been watching you guys have fun and I want to have fun

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

paternity suitor posted:

The markets are visiting tremendous harm on people and the environment on a daily basis and no one gives a poo poo so I dunno what you are trying to say with this argument. Number goes up, suddenly we care about people? It's only when it's down do our actions have consequences!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I'm still waiting for that to come down a bit. I'm busy buying China stocks. For the Motherland!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hooray a winning ticket. Thank you implied volatility

To be clear that's write 30 SPY puts expiring today with a 291 strike at noon for $1.00, and buy 'em all back for a cent at the close.

No idea why they were executed in lumps of 29 and 1 each way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

paternity suitor posted:

Did you read the rest of my posts where I realized how hosed up that is?

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Whether or not one wishes for the downfall of modern capitalism, aren't stocks currently very overpriced in terms of such criteria as P/E or P/B? It's probably a very naive point of view, but in those terms a drop 20% or even 30% would just be a return to more rational valuations rather than some kind of doomsday.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agronox posted:

To be clear that's write 30 SPY puts expiring today with a 291 strike at noon for $1.00, and buy 'em all back for a cent at the close.

Man what if there was a dump at EOD and someone exercised that. That'd be, what, $300,000 in capital you'd need to cover? $900,000? I'm not gonna do math, markets are closed and it's been a hell of a week.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Take this poo poo to CSPAM

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Dude we are going to have SUCH a good time

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm still waiting for that to come down a bit. I'm busy buying China stocks. For the Motherland!

And you're invited too, DeadFatDuckFat!!

And to the SEC Guy reading this post in 21 months, let it be stated firmly that I do NOT know if this stock will go up or down because I am not now nor have I ever been privy to any non-publicly available information (and gently caress you FOMO Goon for reporting me to said SEC Guy)

:toot:

Also closed my SPY Put today shortly before the rally. A trade is only as good as its exit and I gotta get paid

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

paternity suitor posted:

As opposed to capitalism causing great good to regular :thunk:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

jokes posted:

Man what if there was a dump at EOD and someone exercised that. That'd be, what, $300,000 in capital you'd need to cover? $900,000? I'm not gonna do math, markets are closed and it's been a hell of a week.

They were covered puts, more or less. Still have pieces of an ES short I put on weeks ago.

I just thought that betting against an additional ~1.5% move down in four hours was a risk worth taking.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude we are going to have SUCH a good time
And you're invited too, DeadFatDuckFat!!

I can't believe I sold it off so early last time :negative:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

paternity suitor posted:

"It's okay if my pension fund completely tanks and states go bankrupt again as long as my SPY $250p tendies come through."

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Instructive to look back at the lead up to the GFC:

White line is the Dow,
Purple is Fed Funds
Red is Unemployment
Blue is Vix.

Terrifying that today might be more beginning of 2008 than end of 2008. But at the same time there were plenty of face ripping rallies along the way.
EDIT: AND, there was plenty of time to save at least part of your portfolio.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fougera fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 7, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

Why buy those at close? Aren't they worthless after today, and SPY was far from 291 at close?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wait the fed couldn't save the markets? Don't worry Elon's got you guys.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1236029449042198528

I feel like this will be another one of Elon's poorly aged tweet(most of his are) along with the pedo tweet which got him into a lawsuit and 420 tweet which got him investigated by the SEC.

I do think panicking doesn't help but him as a public person undermining a disease that spreads that quickly is a bad idea.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

Why buy those at close? Aren't they worthless after today, and SPY was far from 291 at close?

Sort of. It's been a while since I last looked at this but they can actually be exercised against you into Saturday, IIRC. Under any normal circumstance I would've just let them expire worthless but these are weird times and who knows if the bottom could drop out for some reason. What VIX giveth it can taketh away.

You're right that it's still strictly speaking irrational of me to buy them back because I would never have bought these here if I hadn't already been short them, but whatever. Thirty dollar peace of mind.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Ulio posted:

Ya its another liquidity/fed driven rally.

Just a regular old vanna chase for everyone caught offsides on weekly options.

The last time VX was so high and also persistently in backwardation was from Sept-Oct 2011 during a particular hot point of the Euro sovereign debt crisis (obviously, the time before that it was the GFC). I think folks should be using that whole time frame (starting from the first major selloff in July) as the best-case scenario for the medium-term future. Unlike those things which are purely challenges of finance and political will, this is essentially a rolling natural disaster against a backdrop of cracks under the surface of the system (FICC sponsored repo fiasco in September didn't just pop up out of the ground from nowhere). In that case, it took about a year for the previous all-time high to become support and price stopped looking below it. Seeing what you are about how the response to the virus is currently being handled in the United States, it's probably not such an outlandish prediction to say it will probably take a year before we are convincingly above and beyond 3400, as it might appear to be on the surface.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Ulio posted:

I feel like this will be another one of Elon's poorly aged tweet(most of his are) along with the pedo tweet which got him into a lawsuit and 420 tweet which got him investigated by the SEC.

I do think panicking doesn't help but him as a public person undermining a disease that spreads that quickly is a bad idea.

This is Elon staring at the floorboards. Corona is gonna wreck his quarter between the China downturn and the virus now ramping in the west at the same time of the usually end of quarter delivery rush for TSLA. Just wait until he has to shut down Fremont.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One of the wildest weeks in the market for a long. Only maybe the last week of december 2018 comes close where we had similar 1k point swings intraday.

I am suspecting more damage control by the fed but also perhaps something from the administration before the monday open.

Also today's rally started after the bond market closed.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Bored As gently caress posted:

"It's okay if my pension fund completely tanks and states go bankrupt again as long as my SPY $250p tendies come through."

It’s worse, because as you can see from the previous post, the response “I hope it all burns because I’m woke, actually”

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
SXSW canceled, Mulvaney out; I should’ve gotten more puts.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Ulio posted:

And all the stupid loving Musk-worshipers will eat it up because they honestly believe this dude's intelligence rivals Einstein's or something.

That said, I'm currently in the market to buy Tesla.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Thoughts on shorting HYG as a better risk reward trade than SPY? Options seem to imply a smaller move but I don’t know if it’s comparable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agronox posted:

This is basically the trade I was asking about yesterday morning. I wanted to write 2990 ES calls expiring that day. Bids were around 3.50 when I was looking. And the contract stipulates you cannot exercise if they expire OTM so I wouldn’t have had to close for safety like you did. It really did seem like free money to me but I was unsure so I didn’t execute. Seems like you could always do that on expiration day though.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

paternity suitor posted:

It’s worse, because as you can see from the previous post, the response “I hope it all burns because I’m woke, actually”

Christ, that's hosed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I already apologized and realize how hosed up it is to believe that, the conversation is over.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

SXSW canceled, Mulvaney out; I should’ve gotten more puts.

At this point, it's weirder to see things not get cancelled. Like, what's Microsoft's reticence about? I bought puts but the volatility was killing me so I took modest profits on them, but they're definitely gonna cancel it and there's definitely gonna be a dip because of it that'll definitely not stick around. No reason to sit around eating all that theta poo poo waiting on that news, though.

https://www.isitcanceledyet.com/

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I already apologized and realize how hosed up it is to believe that, the conversation is over.

Oh I didn't realize it was referring to you. Sorry if my post seemed like a pile on. I was more saying that (what I posted) that's the feeling over on r/wallstreetbets.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Oh I didn't realize it was referring to you. Sorry if my post seemed like a pile on. I was more saying that (what I posted) that's the feeling over on r/wallstreetbets.

WSB got dark in a hurry. They're all cheering on drills and hoping for bad corona news. Like, I get it, I also like making money betting against SPY and poo poo but a part of me hopes that I'm wrong.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
BUD is getting cheaper and cheaper. What's with the rout? Is the Corona beer aversion a real thing?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t be surprised if restaurants, bars, etc are buying less as attendance falls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

WSB got dark in a hurry. They're all cheering on drills and hoping for bad corona news. Like, I get it, I also like making money betting against SPY and poo poo but a part of me hopes that I'm wrong.

Same. I have $2300 in my Robinhood account, but around 40 in my 401k. And I'm hosed if another crash happens and it impacts the pension fund I'll be relying on in another 25 or so years. Unless I put $10k into some amazing bets and turn it into $500k, if a crash happens I'm hosed. And I don't have 10k, nor am I willing to bet that much.