Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ninjewtsu posted:

i get the feeling that if such a loophole existed, it probably would've come up over, uh, a lifetime of hero work centered around using that power

Actually, Nighteye very specifically avoids using his power in the ways that would let such things be discovered, specifically because of his fatalistic outlook on life and belief that doing so would doom the future to whatever he sees. It’s most obvious at the end but he normally only makes tiny looks into the future to outpace opponet’s in a fight. Or does the one hour thing to locate where people are going like he did to find the hideout and where Eri would be.

Nighteye’s whole thing is that he only uses his power after doing all the research and thinking, or in combat as a minor futuresight. He avoids looking the way he did with All Migut even into villains out of fear of seeing and thus locking something terrible into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I still buy the 'Eri timefucked the prophecy'. It's possible OfA can do something similar cause it technically has the force ghosts of all the previous bearers in there who have been shown breaking Deku out of a supposed no win situation before by virtue of being multiple people in one body.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just don't quite buy that it was OfA since they didn't pop up like during the tournament, and it had didn't work out for All Might. Eri was the main new factor.

Also since her body was used to negate quirks, I think it isn't a strange thing if it can also negate "fate" or even Night-eye's quirk.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Maybe Nighteye just didn’t believe in Plus Ultra

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's a pretty simple metaphor for believing in a better future.

Nighteye couldn't ever see a future that his quirk didn't show him, and he said as such when he was dying at the end. Deku and everyone else could, so the future changed.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
"Better things aren't possible."
- Nighteye

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The_Doctor posted:

Finally watched this week’s ep, and holy poo poo, Mineta’s line. :stare: You can definitely do a read that he already finds her attractive to some degree.

I’m really curious about the item that All Might used. It looked like some of that snap on armour that Batman action figures get.

I'm sure it's just a reference to the many one-off armour suits that Superman gets and how he eventually just goes back to the old red, blue and fists

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Actually, Nighteye very specifically avoids using his power in the ways that would let such things be discovered, specifically because of his fatalistic outlook on life and belief that doing so would doom the future to whatever he sees. It’s most obvious at the end but he normally only makes tiny looks into the future to outpace opponet’s in a fight. Or does the one hour thing to locate where people are going like he did to find the hideout and where Eri would be.

Nighteye’s whole thing is that he only uses his power after doing all the research and thinking, or in combat as a minor futuresight. He avoids looking the way he did with All Migut even into villains out of fear of seeing and thus locking something terrible into place.

He started avoiding it after seeing all night's future, yes. Presumably, while he testing it to make sure it was impossible to disprove his prophecies (something he explicitly said he did, and I'm pretty sure he said he did it a ton) he would've been acting in ways that would've allowed things like this to be discovered. He was pretty drat upset about seeing all night's future, I'm pretty sure the takeaway is "nighteye tried really hard to find any conceivable way his visions could be proven wrong" after that, with his ultimate fatalistic outlook resulting from fruitlessly trying to prevent even the smallest of prophecies in the hope that he could find a way to prevent his all might prophecy. His outlook doesn't cause the way he uses his quirk, his quirk created his fatalistic outlook, because time and time again he just couldn't be proven wrong.

If it was as simple as "I can only see what one person on their own can accomplish" I suspect that running a hero agency would've revealed that loophole pretty quickly, no matter what self imposed limitations he did.

But also the prophecy that was proven wrong wasn't exactly a glimpse into the far future either. It more or less came up during the course of the normal timespan he'd be looking into the future for. Deku broke the prophecy after like, 3-5 minutes.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 6, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I dunno what the official manga translation was, but it seems that the subs are consistently using terms like Rewind to describe Eri's quirk, which imply some temporal aspect to it, so I'm firmly in the camp that Eri's power is what counteracted nighteye, at least partially.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like you guys are overthinking this a bit. Nighteye already gave an explanation for how Deku managed to change the future and there's no real reason to think it was wrong since he's dead now and his quirk won't ever come up again except for his vague prophecy about All Might dying in the next year or two.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nighteye was wrong and died a loser, rip.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Here lies nighteye, he never scored

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Here lies nighteye, he never scored

What do you think that tickle machine was about buddy

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

What do you think that tickle machine was about buddy

I think that super sleuth was correct because of poo poo like the tickle machine.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I dunno what the official manga translation was, but it seems that the subs are consistently using terms like Rewind to describe Eri's quirk, which imply some temporal aspect to it, so I'm firmly in the camp that Eri's power is what counteracted nighteye, at least partially.

They explicitly say in both the manga and anime that Eri's power basically only works on living tissue so there isn't really a time component to her quirk. Like, she can undo aging or evolution or push you out of existence, but she also isn't messing with time in the same sense that Nighteye is.

I don't think there's a satisfying answer to the the questions raised by Nighteye's ability, it's just one of those things you have to kinda just nod and accept as being implemented in an awkward way

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's not really any questions raised, so much as it brings a conclusion ("this is kind of weak and lame storytelling") and questions are raised to try to counter that conclusion. eri's quirk being time related, and thus the actual reason deku was able to break the prophecy, is an explanation that works and doesn't involve calling the competence of nighteye into question or cheapening the actually compelling drama created by his character (that the strength of his quirk trapped him in a position of knowing his hero will die and he's been powerless to stop it). it's unfortunate that this explanation apparently is contradicted by the actual text, because it'd be nice if the core of nighteye's character wasn't undone by various rewordings of "you just didn't try as hard as deku did, never once in your life"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fact it only works on people doesn't stop it being a time power. There has to be a time element to it, otherwise it wouldn't be limited to rewinding to a past state.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's also that she's the big X-factor the entire arc revolves around along with her quirk. The text only matters as far as acknowledging that if Eri wasn't there, Deku could not go 100% and his fate would have been sealed.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

there's not really any questions raised, so much as it brings a conclusion ("this is kind of weak and lame storytelling") and questions are raised to try to counter that conclusion. eri's quirk being time related, and thus the actual reason deku was able to break the prophecy, is an explanation that works and doesn't involve calling the competence of nighteye into question or cheapening the actually compelling drama created by his character (that the strength of his quirk trapped him in a position of knowing his hero will die and he's been powerless to stop it). it's unfortunate that this explanation apparently is contradicted by the actual text, because it'd be nice if the core of nighteye's character wasn't undone by various rewordings of "you just didn't try as hard as deku did, never once in your life"

I mean, it's not that he didn't try hard enough. It's that he went it alone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it really that hard to accept that Nighteye was wrong, because Nighteye sucks?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is it really that hard to accept that Nighteye was wrong, because Nighteye sucks?

From a thematic perspective that's pretty much it, he got fatalistic and didn't try to find a way around his visions, and ultimately Deku did, unknowingly. It's more an argument about how it works in the rules of the setting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

I mean, it's not that he didn't try hard enough. It's that he went it alone.

He was the head of a major agency and had multiple on screen assistants

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Tenebrais posted:

From a thematic perspective that's pretty much it, he got fatalistic and didn't try to find a way around his visions, and ultimately Deku did, unknowingly. It's more an argument about how it works in the rules of the setting.

For what it's worth, he did try to find a way around his visions. He became fatalistic because all those attempts failed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As it turns out Nighteye gave up just before the Deku saves day vision.

If only he kept looking just tiny bit longer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

A side character getting out-efforted by the plucky main protagonist? And in a Shonen, no less???

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Who could have guessed that my two-bit side character quirk could be negated by someone with the Protagonist quirk, guess I'll die now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
looks like you'll be tickling babes in hell now

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

A side character getting out-efforted by the plucky main protagonist? And in a Shonen, no less???

That it's expected is actually a large part of what makes it suck rear end

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

That it's expected is actually a large part of what makes it suck rear end

yeah, MHA is very by the numbers shonen but it's usually done well enough that the plot beats everyone is expecting is either done satisfyingly or has enough of a wrinkle or extra thought put into it that it doesn't match your expectations exactly

'deku just tried super-duper hard and that changed destiny' doesn't really do either of those

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku was pissed about that gaslighting poo poo Nighteye did when they first met and so pushed himself beyond his limits to make Nighteye's Quirk eat poo poo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, MHA is very by the numbers shonen but it's usually done well enough that the plot beats everyone is expecting is either done satisfyingly or has enough of a wrinkle or extra thought put into it that it doesn't match your expectations exactly

'deku just tried super-duper hard and that changed destiny' doesn't really do either of those

Yeah. It just feels kind of lazy, when usually the by the numbers stuff MHA does at least has enough work put into it that it's fun despite, or sometimes because of that. "Nighteye gets proven wrong" was something anyone could see from a mile away, but "nighteye predicts that deku dies in the middle of the fight to add some cheap tension, and big shock the main character doesn't actually die" is like the worst and least clever way to come to that, and actively devalues aspects of the character that were previously compelling.

It sucks especially as a follow up to mirio's fight, which was basically MHA at its best (writing wise)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Every time time manipulation is introduced to a story, it always makes things worse. It's a giant can of worms, never ending implications. I think it should always be avoided.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Just want to interrupt all this Nighteye hate for a moment with a status update.

Gentle Criminal: Still awesome.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Air Force is a very good and cool move name

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I really like how this arc shows off how smart Deku can be.

He susses out who Gentle is in, what, 20 seconds from just hearing his voice once or twice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Gentle so much.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku: Oh I'm just going to run down to the hardware store just down the street before the festival, what could possibly go wrong? *Deku runs into a villain*

Also Ashido: a better teacher than All Might.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So far I have liked all the other villians why more than actual league of villians.

Edit: Also nighteye still sucks and is a stupid character.