Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems like the go-to strategy in that game would just have been "be China, rush to modernize and unlock Industrial Technology, use your vast army of artisans to take everyone's money".

Of course, in Victoria 2, "Be China" is kind of a winning strategy no matter what the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
China in V1 was really fun, and I remember modernizing in the VIP mod taking real effort.

I honestly don't remember V2.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
That game also featured the smallest, saddest CSA ever, apparently accomplished by extending slavery to every new state I created.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
We keep having fucky American Civil Wars over in map goons, considering my last USA game didn't have one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Of course, in Victoria 2, "Be China" is kind of a winning strategy no matter what the circumstances.

Yup. https://lparchive.org/Victoria-II/Update%2017/

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

“don’t worry everyone, this time will be the time that finance capitalism doesn’t gently caress up everything!”

I’m a bit curious about this line of reasoning. Subscriptions are good for companies because they are predictable. Source: I’ve been a senior exec at a software company. We used to push our sales team to sell subs more than one offs because although the one offs were more profitable, predictability was a lot more important for planning.

This should be intuitively obvious but: if you know how much money is coming in next quarter, you will have fewer layoffs.

Capitalism as a system may suck, but it’s annoying when people don’t understand how it actually works. I don’t really see a problem with the subscription model for games like EU4, where the incentive is just to iterate constantly. Koei should have done the same instead of releasing lovely new editions of 3 Kingdoms in a world where CA has already done it better.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m a bit curious about this line of reasoning. Subscriptions are good for companies because they are predictable. Source: I’ve been a senior exec at a software company. We used to push our sales team to sell subs more than one offs because although the one offs were more profitable, predictability was a lot more important for planning.

This should be intuitively obvious but: if you know how much money is coming in next quarter, you will have fewer layoffs.

Capitalism as a system may suck, but it’s annoying when people don’t understand how it actually works. I don’t really see a problem with the subscription model for games like EU4, where the incentive is just to iterate constantly. Koei should have done the same instead of releasing lovely new editions of 3 Kingdoms in a world where CA has already done it better.

because it will cost more for no benefit. and thats nonsense, companies will routinely do layoffs even in extremely profitable years, because its profitable to do layoffs. thats why they do them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Beefeater1980 posted:

"gently caress it up"

I am not sure that you and Raskolnikov have the same definitions for that phrase, but cheers for intelligently increasing quarterly earnings my bigbrained friend

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Capitalism as a system may suck, but it’s annoying when people don’t understand how it actually works.

Consider that we do know exactly how it works, and that are instead unhappy with how it works.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Koei should have done the same instead of releasing lovely new editions of 3 Kingdoms in a world where CA has already done it better.

Have you actually played Koei's 3K games?

None of them are actually like TW3K.

Also subscriptions are bad for single-player games, hope that helps.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Airspace posted:

the newest one is pretty much nation-sim with agents only instead of the usual pseudo-RPG, it's very in line

and also trash

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Subscriptions are not necessarily bad for singleplayer games. It's just a case of implementation. If it was literally just the games Paradox have up on the Xbox Game Pass, but with all the DLC, it'd still be a good deal. Especially if they match that pricepoint.

Also, if it's a gateway to letting people try the full experience without having to pay the bigass one time cost per game? Heck yeah.

Airspace posted:

The RoTK series is baffling. It's more like they have a couple sub-series that they keep pumping out, the Officer and the Nation style games, and they always shake up maybe one or two different things each release just to see what sticks. Then they charge full price for an expansion that brings in everything that stuck from previous releases.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Subscriptions are not necessarily bad for singleplayer games. It's just a case of implementation. If it was literally just the games Paradox have up on the Xbox Game Pass, but with all the DLC, it'd still be a good deal. Especially if they match that pricepoint.

Also, if it's a gateway to letting people try the full experience without having to pay the bigass one time cost per game? Heck yeah.

that problem is entirely artificially created though lol like, putting mechanics inside dlc and then never rolling things up is a concious choice and changing either would fix the issue. the sub is fixing an issue thats there by design so they can sell a sub to fix it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stux posted:

the sub is fixing an issue thats there by design so they can sell a sub to fix it.

bingo. the obstacles to jumping into EU4 didn't fall from the sky or grow out of the ground. paradox designed things that way to sell DLC.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Airspace posted:

I’ve played all of them from 4 onwards. They are:

(a) wildly different from TW3K, because they are primarily relationship simulators with a tacked on strategic element;

(b) wildly similar to each other; and

(c) several years behind any randomly selected indie studio in terms of quality, which is ironic because Japan is in general pretty hot on attention to detail.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Which subscription for singleplayer games has not been bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Which subscription for singleplayer games has not been bad.

The Xbox Game Pass? Origin Access Basic isn't bad either, if those games are your cup of tea.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I'll admit everything I've read about the theoretical EU sub has been 'only the sub from here on out' so if they do it and go the Xbox Game Pass (I can buy the expansions OR sub) then that's fine with me. I just spread my Paradox game-playing across time so I don't want to go 'oh, I want to play EU this month, I have to pay 15 dollars', which is what it sounds like to me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Xbox Game Pass? Origin Access Basic isn't bad either, if those games are your cup of tea.

The key is basically pricing. Those are like what, 10-15$ a month for a TON of games. While the EU pass seems to be 10$ a month for just EU4. Which is not great.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

the right answer was humble monthly which just gives you game keys and you keep everything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beefeater1980 posted:

We've seen game development companies enact layoffs regardless of the success of their games.

Layoffs are only relevant to income if it's the difference between the company going under or not, and sometimes not even then, but the logic of profit maximization is that you engage in the layoffs anyway, because if you cut labor costs to a minimum, management gets to keep more of the take.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

We've seen game development companies enact layoffs regardless of the success of their games.

Layoffs are only relevant to income if it's the difference between the company going under or not, and sometimes not even then, but the logic of profit maximization is that you engage in the layoffs anyway, because if you cut labor costs to a minimum, management gets to keep more of the take.

I'm sure the "senior exec" knows this and has first hand experience with it iykwim

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Both of those give you access to dozens if not hundreds games. So it's hardly a subscription to a singleplayer game and rather a subscription to the store. With EU4 we're talking about buying a game and subscribing to its DLCs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

yikes! posted:

I'm sure the "senior exec" knows this and has first hand experience with it iykwim
You need to lay off people lower on the totem pole so you can afford to retain the real talent: the people who decide who to lay off.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eimi posted:

The key is basically pricing. Those are like what, 10-15$ a month for a TON of games. While the EU pass seems to be 10$ a month for just EU4. Which is not great.

ilitarist posted:

Both of those give you access to dozens if not hundreds games. So it's hardly a subscription to a singleplayer game and rather a subscription to the store. With EU4 we're talking about buying a game and subscribing to its DLCs.

I agree. I'd happily pay $10 a month for the entire Paradox back catalogue (everything pre-CK2), CK2 and all DLC, as well as EU4 with all DLC, along with no DLC versions of the rest of the newer releases, for example, or other games published by Paradox.

As you guys are saying, EU4 alone would be a harder sell. Might be able to convince friends to go in on it at $5. I'd probably be willing to throw $1 a month away for purely the cosmetic DLC, which I'd never otherwise buy.

Stux posted:

the right answer was humble monthly which just gives you game keys and you keep everything

Eh, Humble Choice and Monthly are strange ones. Monthly was a straight lootbox and Choice is a bundle system. Something like the Humble Trove would be cool for older Paradox games.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

As you guys are saying, EU4 alone would be a harder sell. Might be able to convince friends to go in on it at $5. I'd probably be willing to throw $1 a month away for purely the cosmetic DLC, which I'd never otherwise buy.

I think psychologically it's a hard sell even if it's everything EU4 for just $1 per month. I know multiplayer games cost much more, but EU4 competes with XBox gamepass you've mentioned as well as Humble and Origin and so on. Those give you "all you can eat" deal (even if they miss DLC, I guess). EU4 doesn't compete with those, it competes with Blizzard here.

But yeah, even if I own most of what Paradox has produced they could probably sell me their $5 pass for everything Paradox have published, not just developed as Dev studio.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
Layoffs are actually really bad for companies and decrease profits, not increase them. It turns out that layoffs are just a talent drain because the best people will leave on their own and the rest will just lose motivation.

Company morale and team building are much important to maximizing revenue than pretty much any other factor.

If the company is managing their employees correctly they should be culling those unable to meet the standard on a consistent and individual basis, not doing massive "layoffs" to cut three fat.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

And yet somehow layoffs always make number go up while rising wages, benefits, etc. make it go down :thunk:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crazycryodude posted:

And yet somehow layoffs always make number go up while rising wages, benefits, etc. make it go down go slightly less up :thunk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

twig1919 posted:

Layoffs are actually really bad for companies and decrease profits, not increase them. It turns out that layoffs are just a talent drain because the best people will leave on their own and the rest will just lose motivation.

Company morale and team building are much important to maximizing revenue than pretty much any other factor.

If the company is managing their employees correctly they should be culling those unable to meet the standard on a consistent and individual basis, not doing massive "layoffs" to cut three fat.
Well yes, but only if you consider anything other than sucking off investors for short term to be important.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

From a corporate perspective, layoffs are evidence of poor management. Poor management appears to be endemic in video game companies, probably due to a combination of (a) a lot of people wanting to work on video games and therefore being willing to overlook the fact that the lifestyle is terrible and the chance of being unceremoniously sacked is high; and (b) the core business model being “spend x years making a product that nobody actually needs and hope to persuade enough people to buy it to justify the investment, over and over again”. It’s not dissimilar to the movie industry, which also has hilariously hosed up economics. Things like DLC and subscriptions are an attempt to have a business model that is a little more predictable.

At its heart, most serious business management is about trying to forecast the future as accurately as possible, and then handling the fallout from the inevitable inaccuracies. The capitalist model leads to a lot of lovely outcomes and should absolutely be replaced or at least mitigated, but this isn’t one of them. It’s genuinely baffling to me how upset people get about the idea of SaaS for games when virtually the entire business software world has switched to that model because it fundamentally makes more sense. If you expect people to be drawing down salaries every month and patching their game, why not pay for it via subscription?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s genuinely baffling to me how upset people get about the idea of SaaS for games when virtually the entire business software world has switched to that model because it fundamentally makes more sense.

Because software as a service isn't compatible with any playstyle other than playing the same game forever, and dramatic shifts in how games are sold are inevitably used to obfuscate and worsen the value for money.

Just because it "makes more sense" for a publically-held corporation to want something doesn't mean it's better for the end user.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Eh, Humble Choice and Monthly are strange ones. Monthly was a straight lootbox and Choice is a bundle system. Something like the Humble Trove would be cool for older Paradox games.

theyre monthly subs that give you cd keys and you keep the games and its the only implementation of getting a bunch of games for a monthly fee that is fair.

Beefeater1980 posted:

From a corporate perspective, layoffs are evidence of poor management. Poor management appears to be endemic in video game companies, probably due to a combination of (a) a lot of people wanting to work on video games and therefore being willing to overlook the fact that the lifestyle is terrible and the chance of being unceremoniously sacked is high; and (b) the core business model being “spend x years making a product that nobody actually needs and hope to persuade enough people to buy it to justify the investment, over and over again”. It’s not dissimilar to the movie industry, which also has hilariously hosed up economics. Things like DLC and subscriptions are an attempt to have a business model that is a little more predictable.

At its heart, most serious business management is about trying to forecast the future as accurately as possible, and then handling the fallout from the inevitable inaccuracies. The capitalist model leads to a lot of lovely outcomes and should absolutely be replaced or at least mitigated, but this isn’t one of them. It’s genuinely baffling to me how upset people get about the idea of SaaS for games when virtually the entire business software world has switched to that model because it fundamentally makes more sense. If you expect people to be drawing down salaries every month and patching their game, why not pay for it via subscription?

layoffs are a part of extremely profitable and successful companies. they are evidence of good management because good management is making the company more profitable.

other software switching to a monthly sub is also bad and sucks no one is over the moon about photoshop being on a monthly sub instead of just buying a piece of software once and using it. the reason everything is moving to the model is because its more profitable and makes the customer pay more money for the same thing. thats it. its not some mystery. everyone already understands the model.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s genuinely baffling to me how upset people get about the idea of SaaS for games when virtually the entire business software world has switched to that model because it fundamentally makes more sense. If you expect people to be drawing down salaries every month and patching their game, why not pay for it via subscription?

Strange how you bring this up because every single freelancer and independent creator I know absolutely hates the change to subscription models for stuff like photoshop and office. It might make more sense for big corporations, but it's heavily burdensome and inconvenient for individuals.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Stux posted:

theyre monthly subs that give you cd keys and you keep the games and its the only implementation of getting a bunch of games for a monthly fee that is fair.

layoffs are a part of extremely profitable and successful companies. they are evidence of good management because good management is making the company more profitable.

other software switching to a monthly sub is also bad and sucks no one is over the moon about photoshop being on a monthly sub instead of just buying a piece of software once and using it. the reason everything is moving to the model is because its more profitable and makes the customer pay more money for the same thing. thats it. its not some mystery. everyone already understands the model.

Hey now, that pro-consumer outlook isn't adhering to our philosophy:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah yes, Paradox should definitely enact a subscription policy so that you could play 15 to 20 euros per month to play Europa Universalis 4, an old and bloated Crusader Kings 2, an ancient Victoria 2, a lovely ww2 game where the main tactic is to just build forts and let the entirety of nazi german manpower be smashed into those forts via frontal attacks and a classical age\space game where after years of development and DLC they've managed to go from buggy boring games with nothing to do to just being boring games.

Yeah please where can i subscribe.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hey that’s not fair! Imperator and stellaris are getting new and exciting bugs too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have begrudgingly accepted DLC, but I can never do subscription models, because I want whatever I bought to still be there when I forget about it and remember it years later.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have begrudgingly accepted DLC, but I can never do subscription models, because I want whatever I bought to still be there when I forget about it and remember it years later.

How dare you expect to retain ownership of the things you pay for, don't you know paying a regular fee for a license to use a product is better for more predictable quarterly earnings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

Hey that’s not fair! Imperator and stellaris are getting new and exciting bugs too
You beat me to it. How is Imperator doing? There hasnt been a post in its thread in weeks, if not months.