Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I really wanted to hold on to the credit and use it towards the Galaxy Chromebook when it comes out, but I wasn't able to ordering directly from Samsung.

Even from an official case perspective, Samsung doesn't really have anything good.

I'm not saying they had anything good, just that a lot of their stuff that isn't Galaxy Buds are up.

Busy Bee posted:

Not in Europe
welp that renders it moot regardless. yeah, ebay is probably gonna be your way to go in reselling those then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

welp that renders it moot regardless. yeah, ebay is probably gonna be your way to go in reselling those then.

I remember a while back I purchased something off of Amazon that came with a free blu-ray player and I was able to return the blu-ray player and get my money back. I wonder if something like this would apply here.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Never owned a pair of wireless earbuds, are the Buds+ good? Leaning that way with my $200 credit, not sure anything else is really worth it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

-tall skinny form factor isn't actually very useful unless using it horizontally for video.

do you not browse the forums on your phone

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

henpod posted:

Thank you :)

I'm kinda settling on the Xiaomi Note 8...does anyone have experience with this phone? Not for heavy gaming or power using really. Is the performance / screen good?

The Xiaomi phones I've played around with have generally had good build quality, cameras etc. Won't be premium like some of the more expensive phones, but very functional and reliable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Light compared to what? Only the 11 Pro Max is a bit heavier.

I guess compared to my own phone? Though I also had it in the Spigen clear case thing.

I didn't find it any more fast visually than the Pixel 4 XL but, again, my eyes aren't that great. lol They're clearly faster than the P2XL but to me, they're identical with 90hz vs 160hz,

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Enos Cabell posted:

Never owned a pair of wireless earbuds, are the Buds+ good? Leaning that way with my $200 credit, not sure anything else is really worth it.
I have them. After owning the non-plus Buds. Yeah, they're pretty nice.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mister Facetious posted:

do you not browse the forums on your phone

Sure but I tend to still just read the top and scroll down. Maybe I'll change that in time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess compared to my own phone? Though I also had it in the Spigen clear case thing.

I didn't find it any more fast visually than the Pixel 4 XL but, again, my eyes aren't that great. lol They're clearly faster than the P2XL but to me, they're identical with 90hz vs 160hz,

I didn't see the difference from 90hz in store but once I had my own it was noticeable. 90hz is great too though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't used a new phone since my s8+, and 120hz on this s20 ultra is blowing my mind.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
s20+ came in. Coming from a Note 10+, the small shift in size is throwing my typing off. Other than that, super light, nice shape and feel, and the screen is amazing.

Also - Can Confirm that the adaptive battery out of the box is disabled and the phone is set to Optimized.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I currently have a Pixel 4 XL and the lovely battery (even with the high refresh rate disabled) is driving me crazy. The S20 Ultra looks amazing, but how is the night mode? I do a lot of night time food photography and the Pixel 4's night mode is great. That said, the wide angle camera would be great for table shots in restaurants.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

space marine todd posted:

I currently have a Pixel 4 XL and the lovely battery (even with the high refresh rate disabled) is driving me crazy. The S20 Ultra looks amazing, but how is the night mode? I do a lot of night time food photography and the Pixel 4's night mode is great. That said, the wide angle camera would be great for table shots in restaurants.

Curious what you're considering "lovely". I'm getting 5h SOT and easily making it through an entire day. But with wireless chargers everywhere in my life I rarely need to.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious what you're considering "lovely". I'm getting 5h SOT and easily making it through an entire day. But with wireless chargers everywhere in my life I rarely need to.

I'll have to check next time but I'm at around 30-40% after a day of work (9am-5pm) and I use it primarily just for a few hours of Spotify to my Bluetooth headphones during that time. I didn't have this issue with battery life with my Pixel 2 XL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll have to check next time but I'm at around 30-40% after a day of work (9am-5pm) and I use it primarily just for a few hours of Spotify to my Bluetooth headphones during that time. I didn't have this issue with battery life with my Pixel 2 XL.

Check your screen on time and you can compare it to us here, that's the primary indicator of battery life. FYI too, a bunch of reports is that the S20 Ultra's battery life isn't much better.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

The Ultra will definitely last longer, especially if you go to 60hz mode. I haven't heard too much in the way of camera improvements from the updates, however the night mode and wide angle are pretty solid.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I work 8am-4pm, device is fully charged when I get to work and then charges some on my commute home, but I still get like 5+ hours of screen-on time. Could it be better? Absolutely, but I don't think it's "bad."

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've still got my P2xl and it's time to redo my plan. Is it worth getting a new phone at this point in smartphone development? All I really care about is picture quality, durability, and a smooth UI. My phone's been great but the newer ones sure have nicer cameras.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, I do have to say I like this Ultra a ton more than the Note 10+ right off the bat. It's a little bigger, but it being not as wide makes all the difference when holding it.

Fingerprint sensor is still pretty much the same though, unfortunately.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
From my time with the Ultra, when it gets a good picture, it looks realllllllyyyyy good. But like others have mentioned, in addition to the current camera issues they're patching (hopefully), it's not quite as consistent as say, the Pixel, when it comes to picture quality. I was messing around with my Pixel 2 the other day and forgot how good that camera can be.

I'm actually using the Fold and coming from the P2 (and then a Note10 briefly) I thought I'd never get used to the size and weight but it's pretty much no big deal at this point using it one-handed while open so I feel like most people will eventually get used to it (unless they have really small hands).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

a bunch of reports is that the S20 Ultra's battery life isn't much better.

That's not true at all from my experience.

The p4xl battery is definitely worse than average.

I haven't used the ultra's camera much yet but it's way better than the s10+ at least.

Here's one photo I took of the toilet paper hoarding. Imgur will probably destroy it but it looks really good on my phone.

Edit: yep it did

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 7, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why don't you go buy another flagship about it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why don't you go buy another flagship about it

I really want to stop so please show me this message when I start talking about how cool the pixel 5 looks.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Pixel 4 XL:

https://i.imgur.com/vHzIfa5.png

No idea why it says I used YT for almost 5 hours (and that it only affected battery by 2 percent).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really want to stop so please show me this message when I start talking about how cool the pixel 5 looks.

Lol deal.

Pixel 4 XL:

https://i.imgur.com/vHzIfa5.png

No idea why it says I used YT for almost 5 hours (and that it only affected battery by 2 percent).

That's significantly worse battery life than mine. No clue what's going on. Mine's at 2h SOT right now and my battery is at 74%.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

well poo poo!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don't feel bad, mine's at 83% with a screen-on time of 7 minutes.

Been off the charger for about ten hours and a full charge reportedly lasts me a day and a half so I'm not complaining.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Requisite "my giant mits make big phone look small" pic.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yesterday I played Konami's Pixel Puzzle for the first time in a while, and the first time since upgrading my S9+ to Android 10. The game disables the home button - pressing it brings up an in-game menu, where you can exit to the title screen, and pressing the home button again gives you a yes/no pop up to exit the game. It didn't always work this way, but I don't know if it's an Android 10 thing or introduced in a recent update to the game.

Is there a setting somewhere to never allow apps to do this? This seems horrendous - I always want to be able to press home to close an app. Otherwise it seems ripe for abuse for some unclose-able ad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That sounds like something Samsung may have done with their game launcher thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I installed the game on my Pixel 2. It loads full screen. I swipe up from the bottom and get my navigation buttons. I hit Home and it closes the app.

I had an issue with Marvel Puzzle Quest for a while where it played in full screen, but the navigation buttons stayed up. There were certain game elements under the buttons, but when I pressed them, the navigation buttons would register, not the game buttons.

I'd say Samsung'ed.

(this seems like a fun game, I'll keep it around for a bit)

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have a Pixel 4 and I use the default Messages app and I noticed that if I have multiple notifications for it, if I go in the main part of the app, all the notifications disappear as if I swiped them away.

Is there any way to change that, so that the notifications don't actually go away unless I swipe or actually go into that conversation?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Regretful Humming posted:

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have a Pixel 4 and I use the default Messages app and I noticed that if I have multiple notifications for it, if I go in the main part of the app, all the notifications disappear as if I swiped them away.

Is there any way to change that, so that the notifications don't actually go away unless I swipe or actually go into that conversation?

No. That's how notifications work on Android.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
If you have a Samsung phone I suggest downloading one hand operation + from the Galaxy Store.
Really makes these tall rear end phones more manageable without having to shimmy your hands. I have the following set up for both handles on my s20+
Set the swipe distance a little more than half way.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 7, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm starting to suspect that my main beef with the Note 10+ was the 60hz display after being used to better for almost a year because I'm actually legit liking the S20 Ultra for the most part. It has my SIM in it for now until I get tired of the size and want to switch back to the P4XL for a bit.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

No. That's how notifications work on Android.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the response.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got to take some real world photos with the Ultra and it's really impressive. On the phone at least.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What city is that? Those are some funky towers. Nice shot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

What city is that? Those are some funky towers. Nice shot.

mailbin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne for those who don't speak Aussie. Most underrated skyline imo.

Video stabilisation is really good too. Too bad I aimed at the boat instead of the water ski lady.

https://gfycat.com/granularpettycrustacean

Turn on audio