Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nah it hasn't happened just yet, but its getting ever closer it feels like. Leaf for example is small, while our best buddy Falcom is medium. Most of the smalls I loved as a kid are dead though.

I agree that Indies have revitalized a lot of genres, but I only play RPGs and I've yet to be satisfied by one of the ones I tried. Some have decent gameplay but lack story, while some lack in gameplay but have a decent story, and I need both for the most part. I do have a slight interest in Legend of Legrand, Indivisible, and Battlechasers, but I havn't had a chance to try them yet, any reviews?

And as always, the irony of PCs helping RPGs when thats the choice Falcom made that kept them Small/Medium rather than Large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's getting closer because you're getting picky, it sounds more accurate

it's okay to be bored

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The big secret is that there were a lot of bad RPGs in the old days too. Honestly, they were probably worse.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Nah it hasn't happened just yet, but its getting ever closer it feels like. Leaf for example is small, while our best buddy Falcom is medium. Most of the smalls I loved as a kid are dead though.

I agree that Indies have revitalized a lot of genres, but I only play RPGs and I've yet to be satisfied by one of the ones I tried.

I mean, one of the most acclaimed games of last year was Disco Elysium, and while I don't know the exact size of the team that developed it, it wasn't exactly large. The rise of more capable and accessible middleware (Unity, Unreal, etc.) seems to be making it easier for indies and small studios to be more ambitious with their games. It's not like mid-sized teams can't compete with bigger ones when given the time to do so - just read an article the other day which said that Kojima Productions is only 70-80 people.

Honestly the constraint seems to mainly be the time the small and mid-size studios have available. Most can't afford to finance their team for three to five years on a single project with whatever income they're getting from their previous games, unlike the Square Enixes/Capcoms/CD Projekt Reds, etc. If they want to make a big ambitious project they'll need to get a loan, go to Kickstarter, or get bought/hired by a big publisher. Even getting a big loan, unless you're a long-running reliable studio who's handled major projects in the past, I doubt anyone's gonna give you five years worth of studio costs. I'd figure most would be forced to stick to smaller projects that take less time as a result.

It's not that rising development costs have necessarily shut a load of studios down (though no doubt this has happened to a degree), more that the kinds of games they have the opportunity to make are much less close in scope to lots of the major players compared to how things were in the 90s and 2000s, so you're comparing them less.

Someone who actually knows about this sort of stuff with any authority though, feel free to tell me if I'm talking complete crap here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yakuza studios has released a new game every year for like the last decade, while the Valkyria team has pumped out their 5th game last year

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah the business model for Falcom, Gust, Compile Heart, etc is to sell frequent releases to a smaller, more engaged fanbase and it's extremely risky to move away from that with the types of games they make. There aren't 3 million people out there who are suddenly going to buy an Atelier game if it has an extra couple years of development put into it. Yakuza might be popular enough to slow down a bit though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

smenj posted:

Even getting a big loan, unless you're a long-running reliable studio who's handled major projects in the past, I doubt anyone's gonna give you five years worth of studio costs. I'd figure most would be forced to stick to smaller projects that take less time as a result.

It's not that rising development costs have necessarily shut a load of studios down (though no doubt this has happened to a degree), more that the kinds of games they have the opportunity to make are much less close in scope to lots of the major players compared to how things were in the 90s and 2000s, so you're comparing them less.

This sounds about right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry guys, it was the insane name roguelike and a port of the PSP Prinny platformers to Switch :rip:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Insane name roguelike? Zettai Hero Project?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/void-trrlm-void-terrarium-coming-west-this-summer

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I decided to pick up Ys 8 again after a long hiatus and after getting my bearings, I cleared Mt. Gendarme the first time. I dunno, the battle system is pretty ace (although the default control layout was hella awkward for me and even after remapping everything, I still find it super weird and I don't think I have ever had this problem in a video game before).

The story... eh. Still seems like it's picking up steam slowly but the "stranded on island that wants to kill you" as the premise for an entire game like this is somewhat captivating to me. Does the story actually pick up from here though? The stuff with the serial killer doctor was extremely interesting to me; too bad they kinda nipped that entire plot thread in the bud pretty quickly.

And as an aside, but still Falcom related, my partner is trying to convince me to just go through the Trails series instead of my initial plan of playing through the entire Kingdom Hearts series as my kind of gaming project for the year. Most of everything is/will be on PC, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MechaX posted:

The story... eh. Still seems like it's picking up steam slowly but the "stranded on island that wants to kill you" as the premise for an entire game like this is somewhat captivating to me. Does the story actually pick up from here though?

Things start picking up once you've climbed down the other side of the mountain.

quote:

And as an aside, but still Falcom related, my partner is trying to convince me to just go through the Trails series instead of my initial plan of playing through the entire Kingdom Hearts series as my kind of gaming project for the year. Most of everything is/will be on PC, right?

The Trails in the Sky trilogy is on PC.

Trails to Zero and Trails of Azure don't have an official English release. Fan translations are in the works.

Trails of Cold Steel 1+2 are on PC; no clue what the plan is, if any, for 3+4.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
3 releases on PC in about two weeks. Smart money is on an eventual port for 4 as well but who knows when or what state it'll be in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artix posted:

3 releases on PC in about two weeks.

gently caress

urgent: can I beat Doom Eternal in three days y/n

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Went back and finished up CS3 finally

gently caress that is a cliffhanger and a half. I need CS4 now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
By the way, the Zero issue counter is down to 6.

(It says 7 on the site, but they have to manually update that)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Supremezero posted:

That's one of the issues.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Supremezero posted:

I am trying very hard not to squeal in a very unmanly way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MechaX posted:

Yeah, I think Cold Steel 3 is PS4 only, but otherwise yeah. Also that’s probably the better choice over Kingdom Hearts, 2 is probably one of the best action RPGS ever made, and 3 is generally pretty solid, but the rest are kinda, umm, maybe not all so outstanding if you’re shotgunning them one after the other, escalating batshit story aside.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I think Cold Steel 3 is PS4 only, but otherwise yeah. Also that’s probably the better choice over Kingdom Hearts, 2 is probably one of the best action RPGS ever made, and 3 is generally pretty solid, but the rest are kinda, umm, maybe not all so outstanding if you’re shotgunning them one after the other, escalating batshit story aside.

Only for another few weeks. CS3 PC is out on the... 23rd? Somewhere around there. Switch is probably around the same time, though they haven't officially announced it's date yet. The japanese switch port comes out on the 19th, though, and NISA was responsible for it.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 7, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Only for another few weeks. CS3 PC is out on the... 23rd? Somewhere around there. Switch is probably around the same time, though they haven't officially announced it's date yet. The japanese switch port comes out on the 19th, though, and NISA was responsible for it.

GameStop is saying end of May for the Switch release at the moment.

I don't suppose CS3 will have Cross Save functionality?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

GameStop is saying end of May for the Switch release at the moment.

I don't suppose CS3 will have Cross Save functionality?

Yeah, because there's no date besides "Spring".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I feel like I have been playing CS3 Chapter 3 for loving days. This fortress just does not stop. Last night I finally started skipping encounters just to save myself some time and I still didn't finish it before I decided I had to go to bed. Please tell me Chapter 4 wraps this up in a timely manner.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hahahahaha you loving wish

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I know. I know.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Another Geofront update with a link to the Ring of Judgement manga which was released shortly before Trails from Zero.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/03/09/prepare-yourself-for-trails-from-zero-with-ring-of-judgment/

Also some stuff hidden in the update

quote:

Hello, detectives. Good job at finding this bit of commented out text. You may be in for a big surprise very, very soon. How soon? I'm not quite sure exactly, but some eye candy is 'dated' for a 'release' at some point in the next few days. 🙂 (or maybe sooner?)

Enjoy!

Could be tomorrow, could be next year, who knows.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's the release date release date

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If you want about a month, the Zero fan translation should be done.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Man, give me a break, I was being optimistic.

We're still super close.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
PC Demo for Cold Steel III is live.

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/stat...075662759849985

I'm currently committed to waiting out the Geofront translation and playing Zero and Ao before starting up CSIII, so I'll probably pass this one for now.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm very ready to go into a Kiseki coma and play Zero, Ao, and CS3 consecutively :shepface:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

is the demo a ‘play the beginning of the game and continue seamlessly once you buy it’ type thing, I probably won’t bother if it isn’t

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm very ready to go into a Kiseki coma and play Zero, Ao, and CS3 consecutively :shepface:

Saaaaaaaame

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

dmboogie posted:

is the demo a ‘play the beginning of the game and continue seamlessly once you buy it’ type thing, I probably won’t bother if it isn’t

It seems to be the same as the PS4 demo, so yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I only started the configuration menu and what the gently caress is Fie wearing? Awful.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

First impressions of the demo is that Musse's s-craft is rad as hell

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Red Red Blue posted:

First impressions of the demo is that Musse's s-craft is rad as hell

Try Ash's, it's radder.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/supremezerker/status/1237159050237837312?s=19

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
WOO! I'm crazy excited to play Crosbell finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I finally finished CS1 last night after taking an 8 month break. I was just soooooo excited for the festival and concert. It ended up being exactly as horrible as anticipated, but that was a pretty hilarious cliffhanger ending.