Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ramp Bot is cool and good.

As with any MP these days, expect fragility. I was very careful. There's some tight tolerances but it's not impossible to transform without damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
MP RAMPBOT WHEN, HASBLO!?!?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

MP RAMPBOT WHEN, HASBLO!?!?

It will transform into an actual human-scale useable ramp.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

It will transform into an actual human-scale useable ramp.

It will transform into a wheelchair ramp from one of the Chip Chase episodes. It will cost four hundred dollars and take seventy-eight steps to transform and five different pin joints will shatter as soon as you look at them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I had an eerily realistic dream of going to a toy fair where a new set of Constructicons were announced but they also turned into Cybertronian jet/space gun modes. If it ever happens you have my psyche to thank!

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I was going to take some pictures of my Perfect Effect Xerxes and share them with the thread if that's something people would like? I'm not sure if I should :justpost: or not. Maybe we can set it up as a contrast to Rhyno's MP Lio Convoy since it's very different approaches to the same character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

runwiled posted:

I was going to take some pictures of my Perfect Effect Xerxes and share them with the thread if that's something people would like? I'm not sure if I should :justpost: or not. Maybe we can set it up as a contrast to Rhyno's MP Lio Convoy since it's very different approaches to the same character.

Do it! Throw em up! :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

(i also own that but i'm lazy)

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Is anyone else kinda disappointed in the Studio Series Constructicons? They’re kinda... not great. The transformations are just plain not fun. I’m six in, so I’ll get the last two for completion’s sake, but I see myself transforming them to vehicle mode once, immediately transforming to combined mode and never transforming them again. Which is a shame, really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BobbyDrake posted:

Is anyone else kinda disappointed in the Studio Series Constructicons? They’re kinda... not great. The transformations are just plain not fun. I’m six in, so I’ll get the last two for completion’s sake, but I see myself transforming them to vehicle mode once, immediately transforming to combined mode and never transforming them again. Which is a shame, really.

I started souring on SS in general. It doesn't help that there's two KO companies making fantastic upscales of them.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Time to post then!

Perfect Effect Xerxes Origin. As I understand there's about 5 versions of this figure: The original Leonidas and Xerxes releases, an 'Origin' version of Leonidias and Xerxes and finally an Eva-01 colour variant.

As far as I can tell, the only differences between the original releases and the 'Origin' versions in terms of sculpting are a different breastplate that makes it look less like truck windows and more like how Lio appeared in the show. The original Xerxes also had a horn on its lion head and a different colour scheme, whereas the Origin Xerxes removes the horn and has a different colour scheme. Each version of the figures also has their own different set of weapons. The Origin versions forsake guns in favour of BIGASS SWORDS and crossbows.

I'll split up my posts into Beast Mode and Robot Mode since it took a while to set up these shots and I've run out of decent natural light. Apologies in advance for not having a spiffy lighting setup or background to use!

First up is Beast Mode, which Perfect Effect opted to design as purely robotic, unlike the show. I didn't think I'd be a big fan of the Lion mode based on photos but in person it looks wonderful. Transformation is incredibly simplistic, especially compared to the MP Lio Convoy. No attempt is made to hide the robot head, which simply sits tucked between the forelegs, staring at the ground in shame. The figure comes in Robot Mode, so I had to transform him for this first set of photos. Some of the parts were incredibly stiff and I was worried I was going to break something a few times, like the ball joints in the shoulders.

All the weapons will stow on the figure in Beast Mode but the sword has to be folded in half and it rests awkwardly behind the lion's head and I think it looks bad. The top of the head has to be low to give the sword enough clearance to sit on the peg on the folded crossbow. I wish you could have the lion hold the sword in his mouth but it's way too low a clearance without risking snapping off some teeth (I did try).

The problem with the lion is that the stand that comes with the figure isn't designed to hold him in that mode, which limits posing options. I found a way to get the stand to hold the figure by the waist joint but it's not ideal. If anyone knows if there's supposed to be a proper way to support this mode on the stand, let me know. You can make him look a lot cooler that way!

He also comes with an optional visor!

I appreciate that the base of the feet are filled in. Silly little things that make a figure seem more solid.

I love this thing. I've never bought a 3rd Party Transformer before and this thing has incredible design and production quality. It's like a piece of art.

runwiled fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 6, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you told me that was a really well put together and painted Zoids model I'd believe you, they did a really good job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Perfect Effect makes amazing stuff. I'll pull my PE bots out later and do some pictures.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you told me that was a really well put together and painted Zoids model I'd believe you, they did a really good job.

Yeah, serious Liger vibes off this thing. The paint job is incredibly neat for the most part with very little overspray or overrun. I'm also amazed at how much of this thing is metal.

Rhyno posted:

Perfect Effect makes amazing stuff. I'll pull my PE bots out later and do some pictures.

What stuff you got? After getting this amazing figure I think I've opened up the floodgates to get even more from them. It really is so nicely designed and made.

runwiled fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 6, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have their Optimal Optimus and their TM2 Megatron. Both fantastic bots.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

BobbyDrake posted:

I really like them! I’ve enjoyed all the transformations and especially the vehicle modes. The robot modes are kind of samey in the faces, but I think they look good lined up together. I’ve especially enjoyed Scavenger, Long Haul, and Scrapmetal.

I probably won’t transform them out if combined mode but that’s more due to laziness. I don’t ever feel like I’m going to break them by messing with them and that’s a big deal to me these days.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I have their Optimal Optimus and their TM2 Megatron. Both fantastic bots.

Oh! I remember that Transmetal2 Megatron looking dope as hell if it's the one I'm thinking of. What is their other stuff like? I think they did a blue Arcee at some point but I don't know what the quality of it is like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've messed with their Fort Max which is also excellent and I own two dozen of their various Combiner Wars upgrade sets. They make solid, quality stuff. I don't know much about their Arcee though.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 6, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thew has opinions on Earthrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgP5zBnwJ0

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I've messed with their Fort Max which is also excellent and I own two dozen of their various Combiner Wars upgrade sets. They make solid, quality stuff. I don't know much about their Arcee though.

That Lio on the left did NOT skip chest day. Also isn't it kinda perverse how the MP is the smallest out of all of them?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I mean, he’s not wrong. I also greatly appreciate the hat-trick of Your Mum jokes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a great line to jump into but for some one who has been collecting since 06 I can imagine how bullshit some of this has been

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Burkion posted:

It's a great line to jump into but for some one who has been collecting since 06 I can imagine how bullshit some of this has been

As someone who has previous only bought the occasional Transformer for her child and never really had more than a few in her youth which she did NOT hold onto, the Earthrise series is amazing. Too amazing. I look at all the figures coming out and think it'd be neat to have all of them even though I don't have any special nostalgia? They just seem like really well done modern versions of all the G1 crew and really fun toys. If you were starting a collection (God, no, please) this would be an excellent place to start.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got the perfect effect cryotek and he is very impressive. i havent taken any pics of him yet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BobbyDrake posted:

I think they're all top tier except Mixmaster who is straight worse than his '09 version in almost every way.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno is the leo on the far right the same as the black one that was posted earlier?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Rhyno is the leo on the far right the same as the black one that was posted earlier?

It is...almost. It's the first iteration of the toy I have by Perfect Effect (note the different chest sculpt). Rhyno's is Perfect Effect Leonidas [PE DX05]. There's a newer, "Origin," version with the more show accurate chestpiece and different weapons to the original release [PE DX08]. Not sure if they did anything else with the engineering or build quality.

Incidentally the 'Nemesis' versions are called "Xerxes," because 300 :V

runwiled fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 7, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You should post some robot pics of that Xerxes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

runwiled posted:

Incidentally the 'Nemesis' versions are called "Xerxes," because 300 :V

To be fair, they are actual people that actually existed.

But yes, 300 is probably why the easy reference.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not sure 300 did especially well in China

A lot of the names past the Hardbone era are just pulling gods or kings from wikipedia it feels like

and wow bosses I guess for that one combiner?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Burkion posted:

To be fair, they are actual people that actually existed.

But yes, 300 is probably why the easy reference.

Oh I know, but I feel like 300 set up the narrative to explicitly be, "Leonidas HERO; Xerxes VILLAIN." Also it's the dumbest thing to reference those two figures from, because comedy.

Open Marriage Night posted:

You should post some robot pics of that Xerxes.

I was going to tomorrow if the light is good! I have him transformed and ready to go!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

runwiled posted:

That Lio on the left did NOT skip chest day. Also isn't it kinda perverse how the MP is the smallest out of all of them?

How much bigger are they than the original? I used to have one and I remember it being pretty big already.

I wonder if they could do an MP version of the wooly mammoth prime that’s not such a shellformer.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

runwiled posted:

As someone who has previous only bought the occasional Transformer for her child and never really had more than a few in her youth which she did NOT hold onto, the Earthrise series is amazing. Too amazing. I look at all the figures coming out and think it'd be neat to have all of them even though I don't have any special nostalgia? They just seem like really well done modern versions of all the G1 crew and really fun toys. If you were starting a collection (God, no, please) this would be an excellent place to start.

Same; I started grabbing Siege figures because, wow, those look like the toys I had as a kid so I really don't mind the fact that they're just modern remakes of old designs. It rules but I completely understand why people might be annoyed. Like, I'm excited about Runamuck but if I'd been collecting for like, fifteen years I could see how a plain white robot turning into a generic white car might seem a bit underwhelming.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I mean, that’s why I bought that cell shaded siege Megatron when I saw it at the store. I don’t normally buy transformers, but it just looked like the PERFECT Megatron.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I mean, that’s why I bought that cell shaded siege Megatron when I saw it at the store. I don’t normally buy transformers, but it just looked like the PERFECT Megatron.

I'm kinda hoping they do that again for Earthrise... Or maybe not because, ow, my bank account

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i am really tempted to get that earthrise sky lynx to be my mp-scale sky lynx.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I had four figures ship from Hasbro Pulse on Wednesday, then one more on Thursday. Two of the packages are in Pennsylvania, two are in Ohio, and one's in Oklahoma. Surely it'd save Hasbro money in the long run to invest it some basic software to figure out all these packages are going to the same address and ship them together.

And why is Hasbro's own site the last to get their own figures in stock?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha fooled you all, that's the KO of PEs Lio Convoy!

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Haha fooled you all, that's the KO of PEs Lio Convoy!

Egad! You bounder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Why the hell doesn't Earthrise Cliffjumper have any faction symbols on him? He looks quite naked. Plus he's already ridiculously small for a Deluxe. Weird.

ruddiger posted:

How much bigger are they than the original? I used to have one and I remember it being pretty big already.

I wonder if they could do an MP version of the wooly mammoth prime that’s not such a shellformer.

The one on the left is the original, if I'm not mistaken.