Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Finished the demo and found the combat just became incredibly frustrating at scorpion as I just couldn't seem to dodge or effectively block anything and went through all 15 or so potions I'd found. Is it actually possible to dodge attacks effectively? It didn't seem like there was anything like iframes in it and I seemed to constantly roll into missile barrages.

Also really odd that you have to fill a full ATB bar to use potions and that you couldn't set more than one instruction at a time in the combat menu.

I'll likely still buy it because overall it was fun, but the combat really didn't gel on my first playthrough. Also jesus gently caress that camera.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dodge roll's purpose is a mystery to me as well. scorpion's only avoidable attacks seemed to be the shockwave and tail laser, if it opened fire with any of its long-range weapons then you were guaranteed to eat poo poo

switching the battle camera to type 3 did a lot to make fights feel less claustrophobic

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

bubbapook posted:

Also really odd that you have to fill a full ATB bar to use potions and that you couldn't set more than one instruction at a time in the combat menu.

I dont understand comments like this. Youve had to fill an ATB bar to use potions since like FFIV.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess the disconnect is "Why can I attack anytime but can't use a potion?"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The battle system is very very simple (in a good way).

Actions require you filling up ATB like every game between IV and IX.

You can run, attack, dodge and block freely.

Throw in some staggering ala FFXIII

Throw in a 'classic mode' that does the attacking for you ala FFXII.

Never played Crisis Core but ive heard its similar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I guess the disconnect is "Why can I attack anytime but can't use a potion?"

It's this. And it's gonna get worse as people who've only played 15 come into this game, see it's action combat like 15, then find they can't just Potion whenever.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Was it always supposed to be pronounced Macko instead of May-co? Barrett is destroying my childhood.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Have we seen a Rufus model yet?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The answer to dealing with the Scorpion's missiles is switching to Barrett and use Stoneskin because he can just super armor his way through them

Cloud's roll is good for dodging the EMP that surges out while you're trying to destroy the force field generator

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
People have speedran the boss without taking any damage. I think for missiles you just have to run away rather than try to dodge them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

bubbapook posted:

Finished the demo and found the combat just became incredibly frustrating at scorpion as I just couldn't seem to dodge or effectively block anything and went through all 15 or so potions I'd found. Is it actually possible to dodge attacks effectively? It didn't seem like there was anything like iframes in it and I seemed to constantly roll into missile barrages.

I'll likely still buy it because overall it was fun, but the combat really didn't gel on my first playthrough. Also jesus gently caress that camera.
There are no iframes on the roll (currently - I won't pretend to know if there's like Dodge materia in the full game), it's for quick repositioning. The only attacks you can dodge by virtue of not having your body in range are things like Guard Scorpion's Electrostomp and EMP Field - but you basically need to start dodging about when the attack name pops up over the enemy name, not do a last moment Monster Hunter super dive. Blocking works against most ranged attacks including the missiles. The better trick for the lock-on targeting is that it focuses its attacks on the currently active character, so you can switch between Cloud and Barret as soon as you see like the Mark 99 Launchers starting and have a window to wail on the boss.

This Cloud solo video shows the dodge roll being used successfully a few times against the EMP Field (the player also eats poo poo a few times trying it during a missle salvo).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsr8KOYEKlg

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Was it always supposed to be pronounced Macko instead of May-co? Barrett is destroying my childhood.
Yep, Japanese vowel sounds, not Maori like the shark.
(Also why Yuffie is going to be "You Fee".)

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Hogama posted:

Yep, Japanese vowel sounds, not Maori like the shark.
(Also why Yuffie is going to be "You Fee".)

also, Baha-moot not Baha-mutt?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yuffie will be inexplicably replaced by a Moogle with a ninja mask

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yuffie will be replaced by Nail Bat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Cloud's roll is good for dodging the EMP that surges out while you're trying to destroy the force field generator
Just cast Fire on it twice and it breaks

precision posted:

Yeah, I just checked IMDB and holy moly Jessie's VA is pretty
https://twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/1235291382115426306
https://twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/1235291568749391873

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 7, 2020

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Waiting to see if my boy GACKT is represented in this.

Love my boy GACKT.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know I've gotta say one story change I dislike is that (end of demo) Shinra were the ones who made the giant reactor explosion happen rather than AVALANCHE's bomb doing it. It removes a lot of the gray moral space our terrorist protagonists reside in.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

Waiting to see if my boy GACKT is represented in this.

Love my boy GACKT.

I think I read at some point GACKT changed his mind about the whole thing and decided Square couldn't use his likeness anymore or something.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

You know I've gotta say one story change I dislike is that (end of demo) Shinra were the ones who made the giant reactor explosion happen rather than AVALANCHE's bomb doing it. It removes a lot of the gray moral space our terrorist protagonists reside in.

round and round we go...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Makes sense Tifa would have a voice actor that was in GLOW. The funny thing is that it’s the one woman that doesn’t wrestle.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

This is what happened in the original game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is what happened in the original game

it very much isn't and attempting to somehow draw "AVALANCHE's bomb wasn't intended to destroy the whole reactor despite the fact that none of them act surprised when the reactor blows up and, in fact, Barret declares that he wants the next explosion to be even larger" from a single line where Jessie, a dangerous amateur who has never done this before, says that she didn't think it would be that big, is an extreme and untenable stretch

shinra was definitely aware of the plot by at least the time of the reactor 5 raid and deliberately allowed at least the second raid and possibly both of them to be carried out, but there really is absolutely nothing in the original game that indicates that the bigass explosion wasn't basically the intended outcome

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My interpretation of the end of the demo is Avalanche totally intended to blow the reactor but they're a bunch of amateurs who can't competently make a bomb. Shinra wants to scapegoat them but they know they have to be actual terrorists for that to work so they cover for them. I bet making them terrible terrorists is intentional in order to humanize them more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

My interpretation of the end of the demo is Avalanche totally intended to blow the reactor but they're a bunch of amateurs who can't competently make a bomb. Shinra wants to scapegoat them but they know they have to be actual terrorists for that to work so they cover for them. I bet making them terrible terrorists is intentional in order to humanize them more.

honestly yeah, given the fact that they all seem to be in a big hurry to get the gently caress outta there before it goes off it seems like the plan was still pretty much to blow the whole thing up

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Marriage Night posted:

Makes sense Tifa would have a voice actor that was in GLOW. The funny thing is that it’s the one woman that doesn’t wrestle.

She's great in GLOW, too. Great in general!

But she's no Rachael Leigh Cook :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured they wanted to blow up "the reactor" but not cause whatever the gently caress THAT was, so much as break the machinery and maybe drop a bunch of rubble down to seal up the wound they gouged into the planet.

Having to deal with the idea of "are these guys you're hanging out with explicitly OK with murdering a bunch of random city-dwellers" doesn't seem like it actually adds anything particular to the story. Like FF7 has never really toyed with "are AVALANCHE actually wrong? is mako energy fine?" at any point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nessus posted:

I figured they wanted to blow up "the reactor" but not cause whatever the gently caress THAT was, so much as break the machinery and maybe drop a bunch of rubble down to seal up the wound they gouged into the planet.

Having to deal with the idea of "are these guys you're hanging out with explicitly OK with murdering a bunch of random city-dwellers" doesn't seem like it actually adds anything particular to the story. Like FF7 has never really toyed with "are AVALANCHE actually wrong? is mako energy fine?" at any point.

They assumed the explosion would be so big that giving themselves only X minutes to escape would be dangerous.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
But FF7 definitely toyed with "were Avalanche's method's too extreme, in that they had blood on their hands from killing innocent civilians?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

But FF7 definitely toyed with "were Avalanche's method's too extreme, in that they had blood on their hands from killing innocent civilians?"

Which they still do. In chapter 2 you can hear a lot of the civilian chatter in the disaster zone, one guy mentioned he was meant to be going into the reactor to work tonight, and if he had, he'd be dead, not because it blew up but because Avalanche would have killed him for being in the way

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

esperterra posted:

She's great in GLOW, too. Great in general!

But she's no Rachael Leigh Cook :(

She looks like her when she was younger, which is kind of strange

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nessus posted:

Like FF7 has never really toyed with "are AVALANCHE actually wrong? is mako energy fine?" at any point.

It definitely did with the former, though?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXSzY046fQ

And that's 2:30 broken, god remember when I was like "Ah down to like 3-5 minutes"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Literally dying here that I can't be doing these speed runs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

And that's 2:30 broken, god remember when I was like "Ah down to like 3-5 minutes"

Oh gosh I never considered that you can actually cycle to different party members using the shortcut menu.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It definitely did with the former, though?
Wrong in the sense of "they're wrong about what they're fighting," like suggesting that all this Lifestream stuff is bullshit. The story itself (at least in the core game as far as I recall) never goes there. You actually have the ingredients to do a mind-gently caress there but they never really do; Barret is basically right on the facts if not every detail and all of Cloud's hallucinatory stuff has to do with his own life and identity rather than the general facts of "They're killing the planet, Cloud."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nessus posted:

Wrong in the sense of "they're wrong about what they're fighting," like suggesting that all this Lifestream stuff is bullshit. The story itself (at least in the core game as far as I recall) never goes there. You actually have the ingredients to do a mind-gently caress there but they never really do; Barret is basically right on the facts if not every detail and all of Cloud's hallucinatory stuff has to do with his own life and identity rather than the general facts of "They're killing the planet, Cloud."

Yeah, the lifestream and the nature of mako are pretty drat core to the plot, you couldn't change any of that without it being a different story.

The game very pointedly notes that avalanche kills a whole bunch of innocents. It doesn't spend a whole lot of time whinging about it because avalanche is only on screen for like an hour total, they're not very important besides settings the stage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

Good poo poo.

How are you doing that jumping air dash right at the beginning of phase 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Statistically, there's going to be some people playing The Final Fantasy 7 Remake who genuinely won't know that Aeris dies. I would love to see their reactions.