Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah that's pretty cool, but is there really an advantage to it vs a cheap laptop with a usb midi cable? Trackers, at least newer stuff like renoise, can send midi right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

im_sorry posted:

I imagine it costs a fair amount... what's the advantage of using this over an okay laptop running Renoise? Can it even use VSTs?

Likely will be live performance orientated options and the integrated controllerfor all the shortcuts. Laptop will only get you so far until you're chaining controllers to it i'd imagine.

We'll have to see how featured their tracker is compared to Renoise. It took a long time just to get randomization plocks into it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sounds I discovered in my synth today:

1. Crickets
2. Backwards
3. Katanas
4. Satan
5. A not bad recipe for FM bass with two operators

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/fm-bass

i abused my roller and also put something in to make your eyes roll sorry not sorry

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Okay I lied, I usually find Satan in my synth about once a week. He's just not always musical.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Felt like playing around with pads.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/melo

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I ordered a Deluge! Robot farts, here I come!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Is there a good way to import a graph (say, the last 24 hours of the stock market or whatever), into something you could use for source material in a wavetable synthesizer? I think this could be useful for the current Bonerjams compilation.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
heh

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Selling a Push 2 if anyone wants a great Ableton controller.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

im_sorry posted:

Is there a good way to import a graph (say, the last 24 hours of the stock market or whatever), into something you could use for source material in a wavetable synthesizer? I think this could be useful for the current Bonerjams compilation.

Virtual ANS on ios will turn any image into sound.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was wondering if Morphagene was a good sampler to do some Amen break mangling and, with a bit of preparation it does surprisingly fine!

Jungle incoming:

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/amen

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

im_sorry posted:

Maybe try tracing over it in a piano roll or wave form drawer/diagram?

Maybe processing could do it but that might be beyond your commitment/comfort level.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw vs Sqr

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/duel

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

im_sorry posted:

Just loop endless crowd screaming and have the market value control the filter cutoff. Spike the resonance when each death is reported.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Just loop endless crowd screaming and have the market value control the filter cutoff. Spike the resonance when each death is reported.

Don't tempt me, with an MCU and a lazy weekend it could be done.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

im_sorry posted:

I know in Serum you can import images into the wavetable, maybe that would work?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Maybe something Virtual ANS-related? The dude who developed V ANS has lots of little apps that will generate sound from drawings and photos and barcodes and poo poo, if you have iOS.

Edit: Win/Linux/Android/Mac too

https://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

1) Get the raw data for the graph
2) Import into MATLAB
3) Export as wav https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/import_export/read-and-get-information-about-audio-files.html

Free option:

1) Get the raw data for the graph
2) Import into R
3) Export as wav https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/tuneR/versions/1.3.3/topics/writeWave

Also this sounds awesome, I'd be happy to do this for you if you can get me the data.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Well, my Deluge showed up today!!!!

I made my first horrible jam!

Now to buy a $4,000 eurorack, right?

Edit: that is a joke. I need to learn what the gently caress I am doing.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 7, 2020

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Isn't the point of a groove box to be self contained?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

So Math posted:

Also this sounds awesome, I'd be happy to do this for you if you can get me the data.

Thanks! Sometimes people post graphs to the Doomsday Economics thread in Cspam, and some of them look like they'd make good waveforms for wavetable synthesis.

Things like , , and numerous similar graphs. However, unless your brain has already crackpinged, I don't recommend reading the thread yourself.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I need the actual numbers, so I can turn something like this: https://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/Dow+Jones+Index

Into this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mxwgxgmu01ncjc/dow%20jones%20waveform.wav?dl=0

E: This could be handy for graphs without public data: https://github.com/markummitchell/engauge-digitizer/releases

EE: Success?

Still playing with it.

So Math fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 7, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

really liked this mate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/zVKmZuSL5ag

The 909 clone is fine but I wanna draw attention to the “Pro-Four” next to him. I’m curious about people’s thoughts regarding semi-modular vs modules in Eurorack.

Where does it make more sense to go with more than one semi-mod synth vs multiple VCOs, etc (barring availability/existence, for example- in this case there are no stand-alone pro-one modules)?

I guess my tldr question is when is it better to go with four copies of the same semi modular synth vs just filling that space with individual modules? I see all of these setups where people have 2-3 Mother32s s or Behringer D’s and I wonder where the value-add cutoff is where you choose to buy two M32s rather than an M32 plus an extra Moog-clone vco or whatever.

I guess I need to familiarize myself a lot more with modular/monosynth thinking. My first impulse when looking at the Behringer 100/15/etc modules is “I wanna get like twenty voices and make a giant parallel drone monstrosity”.

Now, literally nobody does that with modular. Until literally this year it’s been too expensive and niche and cost-prohibitive. You’d have to fabricate your own modules.

But like really- how would a “cost is not a problem anymore” moog clone with fifty voices work? What would you even do with it? Can the modular workflow even work with that?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Now, literally nobody does that with modular. Until literally this year it’s been too expensive and niche and cost-prohibitive. You’d have to fabricate your own modules.

max/msp and pure data would like to have a word with you

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When you're browsing for a cheap alternative and find the real deal for the same price of a kit. It was a tough choice to go smaller or full size, and I decided full size would be worth it for this module.

echinopsis posted:

really liked this mate

Thank you!

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Where does it make more sense to go with more than one semi-mod synth vs multiple VCOs, etc (barring availability/existence, for example- in this case there are no stand-alone pro-one modules)?

I guess my tldr question is when is it better to go with four copies of the same semi modular synth vs just filling that space with individual modules? I see all of these setups where people have 2-3 Mother32s s or Behringer D’s and I wonder where the value-add cutoff is where you choose to buy two M32s rather than an M32 plus an extra Moog-clone vco or whatever.

A VCO is just the part that outputs the waveforms. Adding a whole Mother 32 gives you VCO, VCF, VCA, Sequencer.... Just adding another VCO you would have to control it with something (the mother 32 playing the same sequence) and that would supplement the sound to make it more complex but having another semi modular gives you another complete independent voice. Syncing up two M32s would allow you to have two sequencers playing together, just adding a VCO would make the single Mother sound more interesting with an additional sound mixed with it. For the price of many modules, a Mother 32 gives you a lot more functionality (albeit limited in a lot of places) but the price gives you a full synth voice for cheap compared to what you'd need as separate modules. I think that's why Eurorack is such a trap. I think people don't realize how limited a single module can be and adding more functions is at least $100 plus more dollars and it can add up quick.

The Intellijel Atlantis is sorta similar to the mother 32 in that it is a full synth voice in a single module (modeled after the SH101). It doesn't have a sequencer or MIDI input built in, so I think the mother 32 really attracts people for those reason. A sequencer like what the M32 has for a eurorack setup alone would probably be about as expensive as the Mother 32 on it's own so they really packed a ton of features into the Mother 32 for a great price.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

M32 is a great starting place, and enough mults/stackable cables and some creative patching and you can do some big dumb drone stuff no problem with only a couple more modules.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you really enjoy the voicing of the semi-modular and you want to go polyphonic or start using each VCO an octave up and below at the same time you would likely buy multiples like the video above. You could simply go buy a pile of modular VCO kits, multi-envelope generators, multi-VCAs that use the same chip, but you're not guaranteed to get the exact sound. You might be able to do it cheaper, you might not.

In the video above if you see someone with a stack like that they made the decision that they are happy with the complete chain and went all in.

And they have enough desk space and money to do it, also.

Plugged Marbles in and went to see how it can make a nice bassline. Beat and clock from Digitakt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djl6mfMyzhw

I.. I'm almost out of room in my rack. I may do the dual NiftyCASE setup and just put all the Mutables/Clones in the top tier and everything else in the bottom.

Or maybe make my own. I've got ideas, but hosed if I have any space.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 7, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

Look man, I've got 2 more modules waiting for me at the local UPS today, I've made a kit already, and I've got SMD/SMT test boards on the way and a few mouser lists ready to go. I'm just about done and then I'll maybe get that Wavestation thing.

Philthy posted:

I.. I'm almost out of room in my rack.

:hmmyes:

Philthy posted:

I.. I'm almost out of room in my rack. I may do the dual NiftyCASE setup and just put all the Mutables/Clones in the top tier and everything else in the bottom.

Don't.

Just embrace that you are now an eurocrack addict and accept that the number 1 advice (get a bigger case) is pure wisdom from people who took the same road before you.

You might continue to delude yourself that you won't keep buying and making modules forever, but it's just delaying for a few months the inevitable moment where you sell a kidney to finance your 5th 12U rack.

Deep down you can feel you want a bigger case, so don't act like we don't know you will eventually get one.

You are one of us now.

One one us.

Joking, there's no best way to go. Just have fun and try to keep both of your kidneys. Good luck.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://youtu.be/zVKmZuSL5ag
I’m curious about people’s thoughts regarding semi-modular vs modules in Eurorack.

Pretty sure 99% of the cases, semi-modulars in eurorack is because semi are cheaper gateways into modulars so people start with them and later integrate them in a rack.

I started with the 0 coast. Never tried to integrate it in a rack though, those hp are too precious

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah, the idea was to keep a small contained synth that I can customize by removing x y x to make room for a b c and keep shuffling. I could still do this honestly, and I may, but having all of the modules all of the time is so powerful. Modular is cool as hell but it may lead to me remodeling one of my closets to the left of my desk area. I don't need dress clothes for my current job. I am going to toss all that poo poo in the trash for the sound gods.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hotel Disco

More fun with the NTS-1

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/hotel-disco

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ordered a model cycles. Might swap it in for the tr8s if i like it enough. I love the trigger out sequencer on the tr8s tho so it’s gonna be hard to part with for that alone

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is it the limited, perhaps more focused, interface on the cycles or just the price that's the appeal over a digitone? I'm not hearing anything out of it that the tone couldn't do.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm gonna say the price. Feels like they're selling em to get you hooked on the obvious upgrade path

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm building my second case now, just waiting on wood and a transformer. And some heat sinks. And maybe some more hardware. And hey why not get some new kits to fill out all that new HP and :shepspends:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm stoked as heck with the sounds I'm getting from the volca drum for my sort of minimal take on classic techno/electro, but I wish they'd included a basic filter of some sort. Has anyone tried running a synth or drum machine through a guitar or bass envelope filter/follower pedal? I'm using the stereo outs as dual mono so maybe I'll chuck one of those inline?

Otherwise sell me on a cheap standalone filter

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Korg monotron delay to keep the aesthetic going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've been really happy with my Zoom multi fx pedals, older ones are pretty cheap. Handheld Kaoss Pad is also an option.