Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain Rufus posted:

Welcome to the fold. Get a Lotharek SIO2SD and glory awaits. Also disks. And so many romhacks because that how Atari Age do. And 5200 ports now without poo poo analog hell.

Yep, a friend of mine needs to order some Ultrasatans from Lotharek so I'll get him to order one of those carts as well.

The 800XL works! Started off in monochrome, but there's an adjustment pot on the motherboard for video, and giving it a twist got colour to appear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

The Kins posted:

From the totally-pointless-but-sure-okay files...
https://twitter.com/ibitato/status/1201436292246097921

I wouldn't call it totally pointless. When I poked a bit at ZX retrocoding I found the debuggers in the emulators I was using to be finicky at best and utterly useless at worst. This is probably worth it just for reliable debugger integration alone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You Am I posted:

Got the Atari stuff tonight. There is more stuff (Atari manuals, programming books, plotter, tape drive, paddles) but gives you an idea of what I have picked up:

Snowball and Return to Eden are among the best text adventures. You will enjoy.

Matt Gray has dropped the first completed cut from Reformation 3, which he says is on schedule for Q2 next year. Preorders are still available.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: Chuck Peddle, creator of the 6502 CPU and Commodore PET

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

dang i probably owe that guy my childhood as i know it and i never even heard of him until now

thank you im glad you put that here im sure i wont be the only one to learn something

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Finally got myself a replacement DOS/Win9x machine, a nice little Cyrix PR166.

Only problem is I can't get the drat thing to find its sound card, an ISA ALS100+. Neither Windows or the DOS installer detect it, tried different slots.. I guess I should yank it out and check the jumpers.

Or...I guess I didn't seat it right, there it goes. Fuckin' ISA.

The OPL3 emulation on this isn't half bad! On the other hand, lmao

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 8, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe the right channel amp is bad, can theoretically be replaced if it's not a fully integrated thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I'll have to yank it out again and take a good look at it, I can live with it in the meantime. Bit of a bummer that DOS games won't use 16-bit audio on it but otherwise it seems decent enough.

Also got a whopping average of 6FPS in Unreal, that's the Cyrix I know and love.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I just picked up a Commodore 64 with no cables, power supply, nothing but the thing itself. I also have no idea if it works so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I have a variable power supply I can use for testing. Anyone have any ideally cheap next suggestions?

I was thinking I could get a 9v AC power supply and run 5v off my variable supply, then splice together a cable. But getting video out of the thing is a whole other question. And will it even boot without some kind of drive or ROM cartridge?

Zarikov fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 11, 2020

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It has a basic rom built in, if you can get the right power it should boot.

Iirc It also supports svideo if you make the right cable combining the two rca jacks.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The dude who sold me my C64 power supply was Ray Carlsen. Cost me about $35, and worth it. Check carlsenelectronics.net

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The dude who sold me my C64 power supply was Ray Carlsen. Cost me about $35, and worth it. Check carlsenelectronics.net

Seconded. Great guy.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Seconded. Great guy.

Thirded, also a fantastic person to ask for Commodore troubleshooting advice should you run into issues.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Got a small package today, from Serdashop. CVX4, OPL3LPT, and a DB15MIDI, yay! All three work, finally have a way to hook up my MIDI synths to old hardware.

Edit: Awesome, SoftMPU works with this PCI soundcard that requires a thing to run before its MPU-401 output works under DOS. Roland RA-50 with all-notes-off support = a proper MT-32.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 20, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/dantemendes/status/1226930236727623680

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's bloody impressive

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have a maybe slightly dodgy question, but I dunno where else to ask and the Steam thread pointed me here.

I recently bought Dawn of Magic 1 from ebay, because Steam only has the second game and apparently the story is basically incomprehensible without playing the first one.

Unfortunately DoM1 uses an old (like, mid-2000) version of StarForce and does not run on Windows 10 (or 8 for that matter) because of it. That said, there appears to be a no-cd patch made at some point.

The dodgy question - is there a safe site to download such things these days without getting a bucketload of viruses? It's been very long since I had to do that, and I can't figure out how to download from gamecopyworld without the file getting blocked by chrome, which by itself makes me really nervous. I legally own the game and everything, I'd just quite like to play it as well. Please send me a PM if it's not okay to post about.

FWIW I did look around various files sources, figuring that it would come with it already, but I couldn't find a single one that would be live.

e:
I've gotten it running, well, mostly. I've used the Windows XP Mode virtual machine in virtualbox 5.2 (6.0 and higher dropped support for DirectX on XP); I still couldn't get the StarForce to work, but I figured whatever the reported trojan Bumat!rtf is it probably won't be able to break out of the VM, so I just used the GCW patch.

One issue is that it doesn't work with my discrete GPU for whatever reason, but the integrated Intel 620HD seems good enough on lower resolutions.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spamming this a bit, got a matching floppy drive for my Atari 800XL

Sadly the drive isn't working, it is powering up but I think the park sensor or something like that isn't working properly in it. It won't seek a disk properly and the 800XL is ignoring it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was about to say I had a working one I could sell you, but then I wondered when I last tested it, and I am envisioning the Clinton impeachment trial on television.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I found a Macintosh Color Display on the side of the road, not really knowing anything about it (or if it even works). Looks like it uses a semi-proprietary implementation of video through a DB-15, and is at a fixed 640x480 resolution, which makes sense for any of the Macs it would actually be used with, but makes it not especially useful outside that range. I had an ancient Powerbook 520 somewhere that almost certainly no longer works, but nothing else I could really test it with. Is there some sort of un-googlable community of people who would be able to make this useable for anything outside an early 90's mac? It's a shame to chuck the thing (well, to just leave it in my basement until I forget about it, anyway).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was looking for one of those to test an LC with before I figured out which of my stack of monitors would work better. I assume there must be some community of CRT perverts who could adapt it, it's a nice tube.

You can adapt the Mac RGB to VGA but since it's not a multi-sync monitor, 640x480 is pretty limiting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The third album in Matt Gray's Reformation series is almost complete and due for release next month. Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0QbNhIDwrs

Matt also has plans for Reformation 4 once he's got this one done. However, he's having to sell "an asset" to fund the vinyl pressings for the first two albums after underestimating the time it would take to complete them so any pre-sales of Ref3 would be gratefully received.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I just snagged a pretty good deal on a really nice Macintosh Classic that's in perfect working condition. 2 keyboards, 3 mice, all the system disks and manuals, a Gravis joystick and even a 14.4k modem (lol). Since I'm completely new to pre-OS 9 Macs, any good game recommendations? Its coming with a copy of Railroad Tycoon, but otherwise I'm looking for any suggestions at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

LucasArts adventure games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pathways Into Darkness and the Marathon trilogy are probably worth a look-see, being Mac-exclusive first-person shooters (well, Marathon 2 got a Windows 95 port, and all three Marathon games have a source port now, but still).

The Macintosh version of Wolfenstein 3D is a lot flashier than the DOS version as well - IIRC it includes both a cut down version of the DOS campaign (as was used for the Jaguar and SNES ports), and then the literal unabridged DOS campagin as well.

Glider? Glider.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
If you can get the disk images onto disks, The Fool's Errand and 3 in Three are great. Both (along with the more forgettable At the Carnival) are available for free from the author these days.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh yeah, and the first Prince of Persia looks a lot niftier on Macs than on PC - higher resolution, more colors, redesigned Prince with blue turban and red vest/shoes (a la PoP2), and so on. The second, meanwhile, looks about the same, just higher-res.

I believe that CD compilation of the first two (box/jewelcase art is yellow/green) is dual-format, gaining you both the DOS games and both the Mac games in one package, so that might be a convenient way to get it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're on an actual Macintosh Classic, you've got a little more restricted choice of games than this thread has been giving you. Prince of Persia 1, the very earliest Lucasarts adventure games, Glider, and the Cliff Johnson games are all really good choices for a mono Mac, and I'm also partial to both Simcity Classic and A-Train for a more simulation side of things.The Icom Macventure titles are probably another good obvious pick, and Koei's early games all work really well too, and even let you multitask so you can write your thesis and command a boat.

Make sure to do whatever upgrades you need to get it to 4MB of ram, so you can properly run System 7 and games intended for that.

edit: This isn't a complete list, but it's probably a good starting point for knowing what games you can give a shot, since none of the Mac abandonware sites have sorting by system requirements.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 7, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's a legit Classic, with the Memory Expansion card.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, it's a B&W one? Well, disregard every FPS I suggested up there, and you're also only gonna get the first PoP working - the sequel was color-only - although it should still look really nice for a 1-bit display game.

I think Spectre supports black-and-white mode, I recall seeing that on AkBkukU/Tech Tangent's channel a while ago and it looked like a fun diversion.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 7, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Spectre does work on a Classic. SimCity Classic is also good on those little machines. I would play StuntCopter forever. Bolo is great if you have multiple Macs in a network. I think most versions of Tetris work.

On a more somber maintenance note, since I am servicing a Classic II right now:

If the clock battery hasn’t been removed yet you should get it out immediately - the Classic has the one two punch of leaky surface mount caps and exploding (yes) Maxell clock batteries that ruin the motherboard.

Also note that none of the ADB stuff (gamepads, keyboards, mouse) are hot-swappable. You can blow a fuse on the motherboard by doing so.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Archive.org has a bunch of old BMUG disks if you want to experience a wide selection of what was available at the time period. Iirc a lot of games old enough to run on a classic mac were donationware rather than shareware, and if not, and if you really care enough about any of them, all of the old registration codes have made their way onto the internet sometime in the last 30 years.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Just when you think you've seen it all:

Somebody made an OFFICIALLY LICENSED version of "Dragon's Lair".

For the TI99/4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0FDniHQ6xs

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Kung Fu Chivalry was a favorite when I was in middleschool:

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/kung-fu-chivalry

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Q_res posted:

It's a legit Classic, with the Memory Expansion card.

Play “Dark Castle” the way it was meant to be played. I wouldn’t say it’s good by any means, but it is way better than the crappy ports to other systems suggest. We played the crap out of it in high school and I had a friend who beat it.

Also, “Crystal Quest” I think it was? And don’t forget to put some After Dark screensavers on it

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Would anybody be interested in a quick writeup of some different DOS distros? Like, not different versions of MS-DOS, but actually different DOSes from different companies/groups.

I've been dinking around with some (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, PTS-DOS, and ROM-DOS so far), and it's been interesting seeing what's similar and what's been different, along with seeing how compatible (or not) these things are with one another. I don't know whether anybody else would care, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I fell down a Wiki rabbit hole reading about those a while back, and ended up kinda curious about that exact subject, so I'd definitely be interested

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kreeblah posted:

Would anybody be interested in a quick writeup of some different DOS distros? Like, not different versions of MS-DOS, but actually different DOSes from different companies/groups.

I've been dinking around with some (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, PTS-DOS, and ROM-DOS so far), and it's been interesting seeing what's similar and what's been different, along with seeing how compatible (or not) these things are with one another. I don't know whether anybody else would care, though.

Dr dos 6.2 ruled, I could create hidden folders of fake Paula Abdul nudes from my parents. Sorry for the honestly.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'd also be interested in a DOS comparison; I remember using something called 4DOS as well but that was on top of, IIRC, Win95 and I'm not sure how all that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Was that an extender like DOS4GW?